• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Unless it's a work, which wouldn't be a bad idea cos Smackdown is lagging. They could do a thing with Bryan coming out to do a promo about how it's cancellation stinks and blame Vince/Shane/whoever. A weird angle but it'd make for an entertaining couple of segments. Or they could actually work it into the live show by cutting to the Talking Smack desk intermittently throughout the show after and before matches. That would actually be cool.

On the other hand, assuming the talent is all actually disappointed about this, and so are all the hardcore fans who watched it, what is gained from cancelling it? Like people brought up, this must cost next to nothing to produce. It's a desk set, all the wrestlers are there anyway, and they run it only on their own streaming service so even if the viewing figures have gone down/were never high...everyone who knows about it likes it, and it gives the wrestlers a space where they can improvise within their characters and that's got to be good for morale.

So either Vince just flat out didn't like the improvised aspect to it, which seems most likely, or the financial situation is so bad they are making cuts absolutely anywhere they can.

You're overthinking this way too much

I said this earlier. There is no reason these kind of promos could not have been on the main roster.

It's consistently stupid by WWE to put stuff like Talking Smack out when most of their viewership is in the main shows. It further doesn't help when they then release clips of it on YouTube.

This company is so unfocused and all over when it comes to content and distribution.

The only logical reason to cancel weekly Talking Smack is if they plan to weave that content into Smackdown itself. Which would be a fantastic, brilliant idea that would improve Smackdown and its ratings. I don't have faith in them coming to that conclusion though :(

Unless it's a work, which wouldn't be a bad idea cos Smackdown is lagging. They could do a thing with Bryan coming out to do a promo about how it's cancellation stinks and blame Vince/Shane/whoever. A weird angle but it'd make for an entertaining couple of segments. Or they could actually work it into the live show by cutting to the Talking Smack desk intermittently throughout the show after and before matches. That would actually be cool.

On the other hand, assuming the talent is all actually disappointed about this, and so are all the hardcore fans who watched it, what is gained from cancelling it? Like people brought up, this must cost next to nothing to produce. It's a desk set, all the wrestlers are there anyway, and they run it only on their own streaming service so even if the viewing figures have gone down/were never high...everyone who knows about it likes it, and it gives the wrestlers a space where they can improvise within their characters and that's got to be good for morale.

So either Vince just flat out didn't like the improvised aspect to it, which seems most likely, or the financial situation is so bad they are making cuts absolutely anywhere they can.

Smackdown would need to go to three hours for that to happen.

The only logical reason to cancel weekly Talking Smack is if they plan to weave that content into Smackdown itself. Which would be a fantastic, brilliant idea that would improve Smackdown and its ratings. I don't have faith in them coming to that conclusion though :(

Or....People weren't watching it live. I think the WWE grossly over estimates the amount of time their fanbase wants to put into content beyond RAW, Smackdown and PPVs. They could easily produce this content and just put it up on Youtube. I mean hell they're doing that NOW which is just really confusing on a whole, but also justifies their (odd) reasoning for including non-TV ratings/viewership numbers in their reports. Looking at numbers for Talking Smack on YouTube when Cena was on the other week it only has 320k views. Another way to think of YT cutting into this is the Miz & Bryan explosion has 2 million views, that's a lot of lost potential in subscribers. If you keep putting that content out to tease in then you're never going to get people to sign up.

It's nothing more than WWE wanting to move into a more modern way of content distribution, but not understanding how to do it. Between RAW, Smackdown, NXT and 205 you're looking 7 hours of your time just for in-ring viewing. You're asking a fan to give up basically an entire working day to view just YOUR content. While this may work for the major sports who have specialized channels the huge difference is there is barely any variation in presentation and story for WWE, whereas every major sport game is going to have it's own unique thing.

WWE is suffering from over saturation and lack of vision. A show like Talking Smack can work and have viewership it needs to survive if WWE wasn't already asking their fans to dedicate as much time as they are.

Egg0

Banned
Just saw the G1 conference. Sanada was looking fresh in his white suit, then I noticed the shorts lol

Also, Kenny pls

tumblr_ot4farQJ9c1u1ljrzo4_500.gif

tumblr_ot4farQJ9c1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

It's Vince. You're giving them too much credit.

Hycran

Banned
You know what I would do? I'd start my own web log and cut promos on YouTube. Just don't do what dbry did and talk about burying people and you can probably get away with it like Xavier does. Hell, maybe they will put it on the www YouTube page after a while

You know what I would do? I'd start my own web log and cut promos on YouTube. Just don't do what dbry did and talk about burying people and you can probably get away with it like Xavier does. Hell, maybe they will put it on the www YouTube page after a while

I don't think many people could do that as well as Zack Ryder did (Xavier Woods is the only one that comes to mind), and in the end it really didn't do that much for him. A few midcard title runs, but never anything more.

Say what you will about his in-ring ability, but goddamn he was so far ahead of WWE with his internet stuff it was crazy.

Guzim

I don't think many people could do that as well as Zack Ryder did (Xavier Woods is the only one that comes to mind), and in the end it really didn't do that much for him. A few midcard title runs, but never anything more.

Say what you will about his in-ring ability, but goddamn he was so far ahead of WWE with his internet stuff it was crazy.
Zack was smart not to put the Tout logo on the belt.

Fox318

Man going back and watching these Shibata matches is so heartbreaking.

Almost all of the shit he did with crazy violence like the headbutts wasn't needed.

Reminds me of Foley in that way.

Man going back and watching these Shibata matches is so heartbreaking.

Almost all of the shit he did with crazy violence like the headbutts wasn't needed.

Reminds me of Foley in that way.

I would say there is a group of wrestlers that push their body beyond the limit of what is considered safe. Shibata, Foley and even people from the old ECW days are on that list.

RBH

Wait, they cancelled Talking Smack?

"Hay, you know that program that allows our mid to lower card more time on the mic for character development that they don't otherwise get on the main show? That same show that allows our wrestlers an opportunity to express themselves without a script for a change? That same show that is actually one of the best original shows on the WWE Network?

Let's cancel it! LOLZ!"

This company is so fucking stupid.

"Hay, you know that program that allows our mid to lower card more time on the mic for character development that they don't otherwise get on the main show? That same show that allows our wrestlers an opportunity to express themselves without a script for a change? That same show that is actually one of the best original shows on the WWE Network?

Let's cancel it! LOLZ!"

It reminds what Vince said about the roster three agos.

Anth0ny

I been writing the #5years bible on my flight to and from Italy... during that time, we've had programming cancelled, cost cutting measures taken and talent leaving wwe for greener pastures elsewhere.

It's priceless

Heroman

Banned
I been writing the #5years bible on my flight to and from Italy... during that time, we've had programming cancelled, cost cutting measures taken and talent leaving wwe for greener pastures elsewhere.

It's priceless
None of what happened this week was anything importan.

Let's cancel it! LOLZ!"

The program wasn't scripted. Everything in WWE needs to be controlled with scripts and writers.

Zach

Watched episode 9 of Twin Peaks last night.

Looks like questions might start getting answered!

I have a feeling that within the next 2 or 3 episodes things start coming together and it's pure crazy till the end.

It really feela like its coming together. The idea of Bobby, Hawke and Truman going on the hunt is really appealing too.
Cant wait for the new episode.
I would slow dance with The Return. It has been great. Just great. Hopefully it all ends beautifully.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
they're both the faces of their company whether you like it or not
they're both the focus and others arent allowed to get more over than them
both their 'characters' are beyond stale
melzer loves giving both high star ratings

cody is nothing like roman. okada and roman are basically two sides of the same coin

Top Bottom