• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Browny

Banned

That's amazing.

Fack - new page:

1bdbf07caf36ff9a5d9ff54d557dae064d9dd0c3_hq.gif

I don't know of G1 day can top such exciting things like JJ being Kurt's son, but it will be close

JJ? Don't you mean JA?

Jason Angle.

What an awful pile of shit that is. I wonder who actually came up with that. I can't remember what podcast I was listening to that commented on it, but they likened it to the Black Scorpion, where Ole set up the angle having no idea where it would lead but would figure it out in the end. It probably isn't too far off the mark at all.

On a much more positive note, I am not sure there is a dud night at all this G1. I think every show has matches I am very excited to see.

Finished the mediocre SD episode, upon removing it from the personal planner Sky falls back onto the arena channel for Austin winning at WM14, that jarring shift in crowd and aura from this was too much.

Also this sky sports arena channel is basically a WWE network lite right now.

klonere

Banned
Did something happen to NOAH or is it just a bad night for them there?

NJPW/Jado booked the company into the ground for two years straight with a Suzuki-Gun invasion that dragged on for far, far too long. Now they are rebuilding around Nakajima and it isn't working sadly. As much as I like the dude he doesn't have that ace presence and character like an Okada or Miyahara.

NJPW/Jado booked the company into the ground for two years straight with a Suzuki-Gun invasion that dragged on for far, far too long. Now they are rebuilding around Nakajima and it isn't working sadly. As much as I like the dude he doesn't have that ace presence and character like an Okada or Miyahara.

Why would you hire a guy from a rival promotion to book your show?

UberTag

This "free agent" thing, like many things they do, feels like they don't really have concrete plans for anything.
They can't have concrete plans for anything because they're beholden to a senile, out-of-touch control freak who changes his mind on a whim.
The only concrete plan that never changes is that Roman must look strong and main event every WrestleMania.

klonere

Banned
Why would you hire a guy from a rival promotion to book your show?

There was a partnership between NJPW and NOAH for those years and as it turns out, Bushiroad (NJPW parent company) may have owned part of NOAH in that period. So Jado got the book.

Interpromotional partnerships in Japan are generally quite amicable, especially nowadays where competition isn't quite as fierce as it was during the 90s. So there was nothing to suggest that making Jado the booker would be such a massive mistake, but alas it was.

There was a partnership between NJPW and NOAH for those years and as it turns out, Bushiroad (NJPW parent company) may have owned part of NOAH in that period. So Jado got the book.

Interpromotional partnerships in Japan are generally quite amicable, especially nowadays where competition isn't quite as fierce as it was during the 90s. So there was nothing to suggest that making Jado the booker would be such a massive mistake, but alas it was.

Ah ok, so it was kind of like the older territory days in the US where there would be some overlap.

I've been watching classic NOAH matches all this week. It reiterates how sad their situation is from 15 years ago or thereabouts. I really like Nakajima too. It is sad how this is turning out.

klonere

Banned
I've been watching classic NOAH matches all this week. It reiterates how sad their situation is from 15 years ago or thereabouts. I really like Nakajima too. It is sad how this is turning out.

I think the story with NOAH as far as I'm aware is that it never progressed beyond being "hey remember these guys from AJPW?" in the main event. The fans just wouldn't take to anyone that wasn't Misawa or Kobashi.

Zach

I am a small, frail, beautiful man. How do I get traps like 1993 Sid Vicious?

Thank you in advance, FallingEdge and Friends.

I think the story with NOAH as far as I'm aware is that it never progressed beyond being "hey remember these guys from AJPW?" in the main event. The fans just wouldn't take to anyone that wasn't Misawa or Kobashi.

I understand that and agree with your assessment. But still, it is a bit sad. I mean even now I am saying I have been watching those matches from over a decade ago. I don't follow the modern product outside of a handful of shows a year.

It sucks though, especially given how rough they tend to work.

The turning point was the end of Kobashi's 700+ day reign - too much politics and disagreement about who should be the guy to dethrone him. Should have been Akiyama, instead they went with Rikioh. But the biggest problem was simply not having enough heavyweight wrestlers coming through, while KENTA & Marufuji were stealing the show.

Now, after the decline following the loss of their weekly TV spot, Misawa's death, the NJPW partnership and essentially rebooting the promotion, I think a lot of the old hardcore fans have just migrated to All Japan. Japanese indie dudes and TNA guys aren't going to do anything to bring them back.

And I just finished rewatching Lost Highway. So that is Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway today. I will try to watch The Straight Story tomorrow (or maybe with a certain someone over the weekend).

I love Lost Highway, in a different way to Twin Peaks, Mulholland Dr and Blue Velvet. Although, I feel like Mulholland Dr is Lynch kind of refining what he did with Lost Highway.

Nevertheless, rewatching his films makes it hilarious people approached Season 3 with any kind of expectations. Whether about theme, answers or otherwise. I mean fuck, look at Lynch's body of work.

Top Bottom