• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

This is the part we're some of you look like dense for lack of a better word.

They give the belt to an ok star, "the belt doesn't mean anything they gave it to so and so midcarder, this thing is dead on arrival".

They give the belt to a superstar. "Wow their wasting that belt on so and so. It's just a placeholder, the heavyweight is the true belt."

I'm so glad you guys aren't in charge of any wrestling organization.

I'd rather they focus on the belts they have than to create a new one or at least, get rid of the NEVER belt. I get why the US title was created and why they gave it to Omega but it feels like this is some sort of consolidation price since Omega couldn't win the IWGP Heavyweight.

Of course, this is just all living in the moment and a gut reaction to what happened. I want to see how the G1 turns out and what the plans will be for the Tokyo Dome.

New Japan just had two good shows, but let's pump the brakes on the "New Japan taking over" talk. There's a distinct difference between what's a good wrestling promotion and what's a successful one. If match quality and talent level decided things on their own, ROH would have put WWE out of business in the mid-2000s.

Let's give them more than two shows in the US before we talk about them in any long-term manner.

People still think Omega is WWE bound in January?

I think way too many people are writing it off. As of right now I think he stays, but at the end of the day, if WWE really wanted to, they could offer him something he wouldn't turn down. They just have more resources. And they are much more likely to do that if they feel any heat whatsoever from NJPW. So I would never completely say one way or the other. Too many people seem too sure.

I honestly don't know if he could make more money in WWE. They would destroy his value and have him be a jobber in a heartbeat.

Yeah, just like they did to that jobber AJ Styles. What ever happened to that guy?

I am sure Omega will jump ship to WWE eventually. Give it a shot after he has a good run in NJPW. Kenny does love Japan tho. Pure weeb status.

Hex

Banned
I am sure Omega will jump ship to WWE eventually. Give it a shot after he has a good run in NJPW. Kenny does love Japan tho. Pure weeb status.

I am sure he will end things there.
But right now month to month thanks to the Bucks they are making more money they they would ever touch in the WWE, with a hell of alot more freedom

But right now month to month thanks to the Bucks they are making more money they they would ever touch in the WWE, with a hell of alot more freedom

Again, you just can't say that. Because we don't know. We can speculate, but as much as we assume otherwise we don't know how WWE will use a given guy. AJ is making way more in WWE than Omega and the Bucks will ever make in Japan and the indies. And a year and a half ago, he was the same guy everyone was screaming from the hills would be buried and treated like a joke.

Aiii

So not worth it
Again, you just can't say that. Because we don't know. We can speculate, but as much as we assume otherwise we don't know how WWE will use a given guy. AJ is making way more in WWE than Omega and the Bucks will ever make in Japan and the indies. And a year and a half ago, he was the same guy everyone was screaming from the hills would be buried and treated like a joke.

You're saying this as if WWE didn't try their hardest to make Styles not a thing.

His debut was literally a close-up of Roman Reigns' face.

Yeah, I think Omega is going to stay in NJPW for a year or two, until he is in a position were WWE would have to give him an AJ like contract were he goes directly to the main division and gets a title run.

The only way I could see him staying in NJPW is if in the next year NJPW gets really big in the USA, but I doubt NJPW office is going to be that aggressive on expanding, they also lack the resources to do it.

You're saying this as if WWE didn't try their hardest to make Styles not a thing.

His debut was literally a close-up of Roman Reigns' face.

You're right, they tried to make him not a thing by having the announcers talk him up big by constantly putting him over (including having heel JBL talk about how good he was) and giving him multiple world title shots in his first four months with the company.

How could he ever succeed under such arduous circumstances.

Hex

Banned

We can, because Cody has actually come out and said so.
Cody straight out said, this month he cleared more than he has ever cleared with the WWE and while he was not a top guy he was also no slouch.
AJ is making more, but the merch parade was far smaller. This Hot Topic deal is huge, the Tekken deal was huge, getting into the one wrestlebox thing where they had an exclusive bucks shirt is huge.
And it is not just wrestling, Kenny has not tied it to the Fighting game community. Gooteks, Jebaily and others are huge marks with Kenny coming out to CEO you saw soooo many Bullet Club and Elite shirts, and so many more asking where to get them.
They do the lines and meet and greets before events where people pay 10-20 for a signed pic and then 30 for a shirt, 45 for a hoodie and they will stay for hours and the lines never end , and that is all cash in the pocket, and those 0s add on fast.
Nick and Matt with their wives have totally changed the game as far as marketing every aspect of your game.

Aiii

So not worth it
You're right, they tried to make him not a thing by having the announcers talk him up big by constantly putting him over (including having heel JBL talk about how good he was) and giving him multiple world title shots in his first four months with the company.

How could he ever succeed under such arduous circumstances.

Learn to take a joke.

Cody straight out said, this month he cleared more than he has ever cleared with the WWE and while he was not a top guy he was also no slouch.
AJ is making more, but the merch parade was far smaller. This Hot Topic deal is huge, the Tekken deal was huge, getting into the one wrestlebox thing where they had an exclusive bucks shirt is huge.
And it is not just wrestling, Kenny has not tied it to the Fighting game community. Gooteks, Jebaily and others are huge marks with Kenny coming out to CEO you saw soooo many Bullet Club and Elite shirts, and so many more asking where to get them.
Nick and Matt with their wives have totally changed the game as far as marketing every aspect of your game.

Kenny and the Bucks can have as many Hot Topic deals and sponsorships as they want. They aren't clearing more money than WWE top card guys. Those guys are easily over seven figures when you factor in the merchandise. It's just not happening no matter how many deals they make. They are making great money no doubt, but it's not top level WWE money.

Cody was nothing when he left. I can't imagine he was making anything close to what even a guy like Miz makes.

They do the lines and meet and greets before events where people pay 10-20 for a signed pic and then 30 for a shirt, 45 for a hoodie and they will stay for hours and the lines never end , and that is all cash in the pocket, and those 0s add on fast.

I hope that Boots has gotten his cut as well as his twitter helped launch the gif game which in turn launched the Bucks to stardom.

Demand 10% and top billing in the next episode of Being the Elite.

Ultimately I think Kenny will stay in NJPW because I don't think WWE will make any sort of unbelievable offer. And if the deals are comparable I think he'd rather be in Japan.

Especially so considering the Bucks aren't free agents until the end of next year. I could see all three going in 2019 though.

Hex

Banned
Kenny and the Bucks can have as many Hot Topic deals and sponsorships as they want. They aren't clearing more money than WWE top card guys. Those guys are easily over seven figures when you factor in the merchandise. It's just not happening no matter how many deals they make. They are making great money no doubt, but it's not top level WWE money.

Cody was nothing when he left. I can't imagine he was making anything close to what even a guy like Miz makes.

You perceive that they get that much of their merch in the wwe?
Bucks have like 35 different designs for shirts available, Omega has about 30, the Elite has about 20.
They get every penny of that, though of course some goes into cost..

As far as I am aware WWE guys get a flat guarantee of 50-150k and 3-5% of merch.
Most have to pay their own travel and lodging.
Higher guys get travel, and some end up with their own trailer or bus.

House shows pay like 500, depending where they are sometimes a hair less.
TV is like 1000

PPVs have their own formula.

WWE obviously has other things like Total Divas.

I have no idea what other aspects there are in Japan other then things like Tiger Mask, they also have tv plus you can go hit big RoH and other shows which you are not only getting money for the event but again, that merch table

Hex

Banned
I hope that Boots has gotten his cut as well as his twitter helped launch the gif game which in turn launched the Bucks to stardom.

Demand 10% and top billing in the next episode of Being the Elite.

HOLY SHIT I almost totally forgot that game.
You are totally on point too

Oh christ and Being the Elite, a total pitch platform that I know I eat up the minute it hits the web and the subs keep growing

HOLY SHIT I almost totally forgot that game.
You are totally on point too

Oh christ and Being the Elite, a total pitch platform that I know I eat up the minute it hits the web and the subs keep growing

Yeah, that youtube show is fantastic. Getting youtube money, reaching out to the "casuals", and just continuing to grow more and more.

Yeah, I would really be curious to see how much money they bring in after everything. They are doing a fantastic job marketing to the FGC and reaching out to non wrestling markets. I've got friends in the FGC talking about Omega, The Elite, and NJPW even tho they don't follow the business at all. The Bucks and Omega will never make Cena/Orton levels of money but they can get close. And on a lighter schedule too.

F10008.jpg

Even I think this is ugly.

Looks like an ms paint bmp

You perceive that they get that much of their merch in the wwe?
Bucks have like 35 different designs for shirts available, Omega has about 30, the Elite has about 20.
They get every penny of that, though of course some goes into cost..

As far as I am aware WWE guys get a flat guarantee of 50-150k and 3-5% of merch.
Most have to pay their own travel and lodging.
Higher guys get travel, and some end up with their own trailer or bus.

House shows pay like 500, depending where they are sometimes a hair less.
TV is like 1000

PPVs have their own formula.

WWE obviously has other things like Total Divas.

I have no idea what other aspects there are in Japan other then things like Tiger Mask, they also have tv plus you can go hit big RoH and other shows which you are not only getting money for the event but again, that merch table

Meltzer has gone on record about these things when talking about if the Bucks should go to WWE. He has said that Kenny and them are making amazing money, but it's not main event WWE level. He's also separately mentioned that AJ clears seven figures with his merchandise and that he's one of the top paid guys in WWE. He's said the only guy in Japan/indies making what top level WWE guys make is Okada.

So yeah, they are making more than mid-level WWE guys, but if they were to make it in WWE the way AJ has (or even get a big downside like Nakamura), then it wouldn't be an unthinkable move for them.

The concern is, we know WWE brought in AJ to be a midcarder but he really impressed Vince. There is no knowing how that maniac would like Omega or the Bucks and if the wind changes and he turns on them they are fucked.

The concern is, we know WWE brought in AJ to be a midcarder but he really impressed Vince. There is no knowing how that maniac would like Omega or the Bucks and if the wind changes and he turns on them they are fucked.

But alternatively if they have enough buzz coming in to carry them to be given a chance (like AJ had to get his matches against Roman), we know they have the talent to deliver on it the way AJ did. And if they do, they would reap the benefits of that.

It's a risk/reward thing. It's a bet on themselves if they do it. But I think they would want to do it together. So right now my thinking is Kenny signs a 1-year deal in January so that he and the Bucks would be free agents at the same time in January 2019, which would allow them to make their decision together.

Hex

Banned
Jim Mitchell looks even more evil with a bald head.

Abyss seriously went downhill after he left him.

I used to love Mitchell when he was full on Sinister Minister, but christ Abyss is a worthless sack of aids secretions.
AJ kind of got a couple of good matches out of him, then this whole thing with his brother.
He was salvageable when teamed with Crazy Steve

Toki767

Did Eddie Edwards' wife train to wrestle or anything? Cause she seems like she has more potential than a lot of the NXT women they put on TV.

Hex

Banned

Plus the shit that makes them the shit, the moves and the running mouth....kiss it goodbye

But alternatively if they have enough buzz coming in to carry them to be given a chance (like AJ had to get his matches against Roman), we know they have the talent to deliver on it the way AJ did. And if they do, they would reap the benefits of that.

It's a risk/reward thing. It's a bet on themselves if they do it. But I think they would want to do it together. So right now my thinking is Kenny signs a 1-year deal in January so that he and the Bucks would be free agents at the same time in January 2019, which would allow them to make their decision together.

It is a risk reward thing and they will end up their eventually. It is a worrying prospect.

I would be really worried they couldnt be themselves too.

Hex

Banned

There are only so many spots at or near the top.
Unless there is a power shake up in the wwe...

Meltzer has gone on record about these things when talking about if the Bucks should go to WWE. He has said that Kenny and them are making amazing money, but it's not main event WWE level. He's also separately mentioned that AJ clears seven figures with his merchandise and that he's one of the top paid guys in WWE. He's said the only guy in Japan/indies making what top level WWE guys make is Okada.

So yeah, they are making more than mid-level WWE guys, but if they were to make it in WWE the way AJ has (or even get a big downside like Nakamura), then it wouldn't be an unthinkable move for them.

Kenny yes would have a chance at AJ money. Though I question how much WWE would actually be willing to go all in with him. His style could be adapted to WWE but it'd be mute.

But the Bucks? Main event money for a tag team? Pipe dream. Other than flashes of time with E&C/Hardys/Dudleys and then the Smackdown 6, the WWE hasn't had a vibrant tag division in arguably probably about 30 years. Their style would be annihilated in WWE. Sure they can wrestle a less insane style (Dominion showed that) but they'd be so so limited

If I'm the Bucks I look at the freedom I have, the fun and spotlight I have, and then look at how WWE runs their tag divisions and stay the fuck away unless they just really want to say they were once in WWE because that was their dream.

No way a tag team is getting main event money and exposure. They'd probably be split within a few years as well.

Jamie OD

Yeah, that youtube show is fantastic. Getting youtube money, reaching out to the "casuals", and just continuing to grow more and more.

Yeah, I would really be curious to see how much money they bring in after everything. They are doing a fantastic job marketing to the FGC and reaching out to non wrestling markets. I've got friends in the FGC talking about Omega, The Elite, and NJPW even tho they don't follow the business at all. The Bucks and Omega will never make Cena/Orton levels of money but they can get close. And on a lighter schedule too.

Bullet Club shirts really are this generation's equivalent of the nWo shirt.

That's what I'm saying. I'm surprised people are happy with Omega winning the US belt. That belt might as well have a post-it note.

'You're never winning the IWGP title. But here's this belt so you wont go to Vince - Gedo'

I still need to watch the finals match but yeah, not sure how anything last night could've changed that.

If WWE offers him a deal like AJ Styles got (big Royal Rumble entrance, WWE title within the year) he's a goner.

Edit: That's the saddest thing about the current main roster, almost all of them are putting out a worse product compared to their time in NXT/indies, but I can't blame them for making the jump.

Just watching night 2 now cause I saw Queen + Adam Lambert tonight.

Great start on the production side with Jay White's name instead of fucking Kushida on the overlay graphic at the start.

There are only so many spots at or near the top.
Unless there is a power shake up in the wwe...

Cena's on his way out. Orton is getting close to that. AJ is still fantastic, but even he says he's not looking at staying full-time more than a few more years. Names are cycling out.

Kenny yes would have a chance at AJ money. Though I question how much WWE would actually be willing to go all in with him. His style could be adapted to WWE but it'd be mute.

But the Bucks? Main event money for a tag team? Pipe dream. Other than flashes of time with E&C/Hardys/Dudleys and then the Smackdown 6, the WWE hasn't had a vibrant tag division in arguably probably about 30 years. Their style would be annihilated in WWE. Sure they can wrestle a less insane style (Dominion showed that) but they'd be so so limited

If I'm the Bucks I look at the freedom I have, the fun and spotlight I have, and then look at how WWE runs their tag divisions and stay the fuck away unless they just really want to say they were once in WWE because that was their dream.

No way a tag team is getting main event money and exposure. They'd probably be split within a few years as well.

They could get a big downside if WWE feels like they need to sign them to hurt New Japan, and they could make a lot of merch money given the push WWE would feel the need to give them given the big downside.

I still need to watch the finals match but yeah, not sure how anything last night could've changed that.

If WWE offers him a deal like AJ Styles got (big Royal Rumble entrance, WWE title within the year) he's a goner.

Edit: That's the saddest thing about the current main roster, almost all of them are putting out a worse product compared to their time in NXT/indies, but I can't blame them for making the jump.

I don't think there's any evidence that AJ's title run was a part of this deal.

It would be interesting to see what the negotiations were like for Omega at the start of this year and if he will end up as hot/hotter next time his contract is done.

It would be interesting to see what the negotiations were like for Omega at the start of this year and if he will end up as hot/hotter next time his contract is done.

I still don't buy that he was actually a free agent this year. There were multiple people saying that his deal had a year left on it before he started talking about "not knowing what to do with his future" after WK.

Recall

The NJPW shows were never about "taking over" but simply expanding reach and brand awareness while making money.

They tried something new, people attended, there was a buzz and they have succeeded on that front.

Y'all keep talking dollars and cents, but forget to take into account the travel/work schedule. I'd imagine Omega is ok with his "mid card money" while not needing to work 300+ days a year.

Y'all keep talking dollars and cents, but forget to take into account the travel/work schedule. I'd imagine Omega is ok with his "mid card money" while not needing to work 300+ days a year.

He seems like a creative type who would rather be paid less and get to be creative as well tbh. Similar to Ibushi.

Top Bottom