• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Sunless Sea is still one of my favorite games from the last few years and I've still not really progressed too far in it. I love Fallen London too, which is easily my favorite browser/f2p mobile game. Sunless Skies should be awesome. I think I enjoy it so much because it reminds me of China Mieville's Bas Lag novels, which are some of my favorites. Especially Perdido Street Station and The Scar. He is probably BFF with Zack Labour Jr.

Oh god new page.

Kota.gif

Catching up on the fourth night of G1 Climax, and a garbage WWE PPV tonight is the absolute last thing I'm interested in watching. Glad I cancelled my WWE sub, and went with NJPWWorld. Thinking I may need to add a Progress sub, as well.

This Elgin/Okada match is tremendous.

The way Gran Metalik has been used in WWE shows how shockingly shit that company is. What an absolute waste of a guy in his prime years. It actually makes me angry.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the whole cruiserweight thing makes the CWC retroactively worse. Well not really, but I've been wanting to rewatch it and dont feel like it because I know what it leads to.

the whole cruiserweight thing makes the CWC retroactively worse. Well not really, but I've been wanting to rewatch it and dont feel like it because I know what it leads to.

It really sucks.

You look at how talented so many of these guys are, they come into the company then Michael Hayes and Road Dogg tell them how to have their matches and what to do. Obviously they can't go 100% in every match with a WWE schedule, but still.

I really, really hope the MYC doesn't turn out to lead to something so disappointing.

Catching up on the fourth night of G1 Climax, and a garbage WWE PPV tonight is the absolute last thing I'm interested in watching. Glad I cancelled my WWE sub, and went with NJPWWorld. Thinking I may need to add a Progress sub, as well.

Progress is less than 8 dollars a month and they put on really good shows....You wont regret it, my friend...

Add highspots and you are set....

Hex

Banned

But Murica!!!???

E-DuB

It really is something that we are able to see matches that range from great to gobsmackingly spectacular every couple of days in this tournament.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The CWC & 205 Live feels like night and day. Losing Ibushi & ZSJ probably contributed to that, but still.

SilentMike03

Neo Member
There's a lot of reasons 205 Live is a failure and they've been discussed at length. Ultimately it rests on Vince. I don't think anyone can dispute what the man did for the business and how he managed to take a carnival and turn it into a global empire. But I think we're frequently seeing how a 70 year old man doesn't know what audiences want in 2017.

Majukun

why a guy like okada has basically a "clothesline from hell with a spin" finisher?

i mean a guy like JBL can make a clothesline (or lariat) work as a finisher..but not a guy like okada

Heroman

Banned
why a guy like okada has basically a "crossline from hell with a spin" finisher?

i mean a guy like JBL can make a crossline (or lariat) work as a finisher..but not a guy like okada
The lariat is a over move in Japan I mean Stan Hansen who is a much bigger star than Okada used a regular latiat as a finish.

Majukun

Crosslone from hell? The lariat is a over move in Japan I mean Stan Hansen who is a much bigger star than Okada used a regular latiat as a finish.

padron,clothesline.

i'm not doubting that the move is popular..but given how much punishment those guys take in a match i find hard to believe that a guy like okada (which is muscular,but not big by wrestlers' standards) can KO a guy with a lariat..and that's without counting the fact that i don't think the little spin would actually add any kind of impact to the move if done in real life.

i know it's wrestling and you are supposed to accept someone's finisher as someone more deadly than normal..but since the guy is talented, they could have given him a more flashy finisher that doesn't rely on blunt force..i mean doesn't he also do a tombstone piledriver (saw 2 matches of the guy,and was an "almost finisher" in both so i suppose it's part of his moveset)? that's one attack that can finish a fight without destroying my suspension of disbelief

Hasney

Managed to get Day of Reckoning 2 working at 1440p and it looks amazing honestly,

Think the emulation has bugs though. The crowd keeps chanting for Heidenreich....

padron,clothesline.

i'm not doubting that the move is popular..but given how much punishment those guys take in a match i find hard to believe that a guy like okada (which is muscular,but not big by wrestlers' standards) can KO a guy with a lariat..and that's without counting the fact that i don't think the little spin would actually add any kind of impact to the move if done in real life.

i know it's wrestling and you are supposed to accept someone's finisher as someone more deadly than normal..but since the guy is talented, they could have given him a more flashy finisher that doesn't rely on blunt force..i mean doesn't he also do a tombstone piledriver (saw 2 matches of the guy,and was an "almost finisher" in both so i suppose it's part of his moveset)? that's one attack that can finish a fight without destroying my suspension of disbelief

The problem is WWE has conditioned fans to thing signature moves are just that, signature, rather than finishers. You go back look at Hogan's leg drop or Macho's elbow and they're pedestrian, but it was about a means to an end. They pulled them out when a guy was ready to be finished off.

If Okada was whipping out a rainmaker within the first 5 minutes and barely any wrestling, than sure. But it's often used when a guy has been all but beaten down physically.

I think when people say that all NJPW fans care about is workrate is wrong. The story telling happens in the ring but it is still story telling and can be one of the most compelling things about the way NJPW is presented.

I think when people say that all NJPW fans care about is workrate is wrong. The story telling happens in the ring but it is still story telling and can be one of the most compelling things about the way NJPW is presented.

I dunno, to me NJPW manages to combine athleticism with storytelling. Whereas when I hear workrate I think of matches like Owens/Zayn where it's all about the high spots and not actual in-ring work.

I dunno, to me NJPW manages to combine athleticism with storytelling. Whereas when I hear workrate I think of matches like Owens/Zayn where it's all about the high spots and not actual in-ring work.

I suppose it depends on how you interpret workrate as a term.

I suppose to put it another way, saying "NJPW has good matches but not much else" is badly selling them short. And it is a common comolaint some people raise.

Menome

I realise I do rag on OwensIsNow for recreational drug use a lot. I'm cool with it though, for all of you. Unless you go all Reefer Madness on us and put someone in a headlock for 20 hours.

It's just that Edgy McDruggington is to good an angle to give up on.

I suppose it depends on how you interpret workrate as a term.

I suppose to put it another way, saying "NJPW has good matches but not much else" is badly selling them short. And it is a common comolaint some people raise.

I think what gets lost is that NJPW with a few exceptions tells fictionalized sports narratives, more akin to what you'd see developing naturally in NHL/NBA/NFL/etc... and it does well

Whereas WWE tells like TV Drama/comedy/action/soap opera stories and only occasionally does it well

But a lot of folks when they hear stories don't think of the style of narrative that NJPW does.

Top Bottom