• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

DFe2jNCU0AAf-qB

Fox318

Mapped out all of 2017's ppv endings and man, it's not good.

RR- Heel standing tall
EC - Heel standing tall
FastLane - Face standing tall (Goldberg)
WM - Ends with Reigns beating Taker which is controversial
Payback - Heel standing tall
Backlash - Heel standing tall
Extreme Rules - Heel standing tall
Money in the Bank - Heel standing tall
GBoF - Lesnar won so idk what he is, in the match he leaned towards face tho
Battleground - Heel standing tall

I knew it was bad but shit's worse than I thought.
They only want Roman over.

jmdajr

This may be the least enthusiastic I've been about the WWE in a long long time.

And that says quite a bit considering how many talented wrestlers are on the roster from top to bottom. Raw was already brutal to sit through, but SmackDown has been on the decline since Jinder became champion. In the middle of the Cena/Rusev match last night, I just switched off the PPV because it had been that uninteresting of a show overall up to that point. Other peripheral decisions like canceling Talking Smack aren't helping matters for me either.

Once the Mae Young Classic wraps up, I'll probably be canceling the Network and looking into NJPW more consistently.
I switched it off after Cena and Rusev.

I mean Game of Thrones was starting!

Brinbe

Wwe has become a formula. It's the equivalent to a cable sitcom in its repetitive nature. Even when stuff is unexpected, like Natty winning last night, you're not even shocked or surprised. It's just a frustration.

Yep. It's that WWE working style and Vince's overbearing influence over everything. Everyone wrestles the same, bumps the same, set-up spots the same, etc. It was even more super-noticeable watching it in person last night. It's just the paint-by-numbers style they work now. There's no psychology, no flow, no creativity. Just random moves till you get a chance to work your signature stuff in. Boring.

Everyone has become neutered, matches are mostly meaningless, results are often a clusterfuck/unsatisfactory as a means to advance their stupid nonsensical storylines and set up the next series of matches in a crappily built-up feuds. You'll very rarely get a satisfactory in-ring story, like with Usos/New Day (and even that was formulaic in lots of ways) and it's apparent that it's not the wrasslers at fault here.

Maybe New Japan and others have spoiled me, but nothing about this product is entertaining right now and I think I'm not alone in feeling that way.

I remember calling it the Applebees of Wrassling before and I think that's the perfect descriptor. Lowest common denominator garbage that people who don't know any better happily gobble up.

Hasney

New Legacy are usually the most positive and energetic during PPVs and even they're yawning during the Battleground main :lol

Orton and Jinder even took a play from my book and stared at each other for a minute or so.

PROGRESS chapter 52 thoughts

CCK / Extra Talent-ed / Banter Edition had musing start with Mastiff's birthday celebrations. Extra Talent-ed were apparently the heels because reasons? They were fairly impressive. CCK continue to baffle me, I have no idea what folk see in them. Lots of "sick" tag moves that makes absolutely zero sense, (including one particular highlight where Brookes piledrives Lykos) daft meandering promos and after the awful botched finished Brookes hit one of ET with a vicious steel chair shot, that seemed totally unnecessary.

T-Bone vs Mike Bird was flat and frankly didn't really feel like a PROGRESS match.

Toni Storm and Di Matteo brought the crowd back to life with a pretty solid slow burner of match. Definitely worth catching. I always feel like the women's matches are missing something without Jinny though.

Riddle vs Banks was on the way to being a genuine match of the year contender, up until the tired overused finish. Full of heavy hitting, chops and suplexes. Definitely one to catch on demand. Sadly the finish brought it down, and made Banks look like a bit of a twat later on.

Sexsmith/C.D.Dunne/Mambo/Gibson was fine. I do wish PROGRESS would do something with Gibson though. Last year he had legitimate heat, and felt like with a bit of a push and getting put in the ring with more talented workers could've catapulted him. Unfortunately he's now just a bit lost, continuing to say the same tired speech over and over and losing constantly.

P. Dunne / Eddie Dennis was much better than it had any right to be. I'd never been too enamored with Eddie's in ring performances before, and felt like Andrews was carrying him but both him and Pete were great here. Came across as a great coming out party for Eddie's decision to take wrestling on full time. Harking back to earlier, thought it would've made sense for Banks to get involved here and give Eddie a title shot next week, instead Pete cheated as always and Banks didn't want to get revenge for earlier in the night. Still, worth catching.

War Machine / BSS was probably not as great as you would expect, despite still being very very good. Worth watching just to see Bate hit an aeroplane spin (with a squat) on Hanson.

CCK vs Extra Talent-ed was announced for Camden.
I'm thinking that Riddle will be Dunne's opponent next week, so they can then headline the NYC show for the title.

On one hand, I'm happy a bunch of people are jumping ship to NJPW, Progress, Evolve, etc

On the other, I really hope this trend of "God, NJPW does it so much better" keeps propping up. I'm seeing it a lot on Reddit where people keep saying "thank god for G1" or things of the nature and it's going to be off putting to anyone who has modicum of curiosity in NJPW.

Ultimately they're entirely different companies going at wrestling from different ways. This isn't like the ole WCW vs WWF stuff

Beefy

On one hand, I'm happy a bunch of people are jumping ship to NJPW, Progress, Evolve, etc

On the other, I really hope this trend of "God, NJPW does it so much better" keeps propping up. I'm seeing it a lot on Reddit where people keep saying "thank god for G1" or things of the nature and it's going to be off putting to anyone who has modicum of curiosity in NJPW.

Ultimately they're entirely different companies going at wrestling from different ways. This isn't like the ole WCW vs WWF stuff

Don't worry Heroman will put people off

Browny

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOL WHAT

this is the worst PPV ever

Singhs saving this shitfest.

KHALI

I can't believe the rumors were right. :lol

I also can't believe he can still move!

AHAHAHAHAHAH

ITS HIKM ASDFGHJNJNGLFKJ

Dude is getting a pop lol

NOOOOOOOOO

HIT HIM WITH THE GREAT CHOP!

Holy shit, you gotta be kidding...

There's the cherry on the shit sundae

HAHAHAHAHA Great Khali.

What this match was missing.

This is exactly what I expected when I heard that theme lmao

Seriously?

They bring in Great Khali

Good fuuuuucking God.

im scared of khali!! :(

PAPAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHAT THE FUCK

I want to die.

the wurst

As if this match didn't suck already.

I'm actually dying. This is fucking hilarious.

Truly a PPV for the ages :)

Draxal

This may be the least enthusiastic I've been about the WWE in a long long time.

And that says quite a bit considering how many talented wrestlers are on the roster from top to bottom. Raw was already brutal to sit through, but SmackDown has been on the decline since Jinder became champion. In the middle of the Cena/Rusev match last night, I just switched off the PPV because it had been that uninteresting of a show overall up to that point. Other peripheral decisions like canceling Talking Smack aren't helping matters for me either.

Once the Mae Young Classic wraps up, I'll probably be canceling the Network and looking into NJPW more consistently.

It was on the decline since Orton won the championship; don't get me wrong Jinder is an awful champ, but it started way before him.

They are presented completely differently. Some people wont like NJPW or PWG or whatever style and thats fine. When WWE is good, its great. The main roster product has just been terrible post mania. Not because it isnt presented like NJPW but because they are failing at presenting their own style well.

Also apparently Jinder isnt well liked by the Indian fanbase and Khali was supposed to be a kind of rub. They buy into the heel/face thing hard so having Khali come out to do heel shit seems counter productive.

bigkrev

So I was at the show last night...

It was impossible to see the Prison match. They did not show it on the Tron, but only on the arena scoreboard, which was basically rasied to the roof because they wanted it visable when the cage was hanging the rest of the show. Seriously, it was in the banners. Impossible to look at without cranking your head up.

When I went back and watched No Mercy 2007 for the original prison match I asked how in the world anyone could enjoy it because of how hard it is to see visually, even from the tv

you know there's a problem when even styles, ko, nakamura and joe are having boring matches

I did not enjoy KO and AJ's first match at all at Backlash and here. It seems the restraints of the WWE style of storytelling in addition to these two being the two biggest stars has them reining in the crazy matches they could and should be having.

Yeah I live and die on watching the show on the big screens since I love sitting in the nosebleeds

Thank god I didn't go, fuck that Punjabi Prison. Completely unfilmable too

I did not enjoy KO and AJ's first match at all at Backlash and here. It seems the restraints of the WWE style of storytelling in addition to these two being the two biggest stars has them reining in the crazy matches they could and should be having.
I wonder if they just don't click. AJ had great matches with people who aren't god tier in the ring themselves (Roman, Ambrose, Shane) but with KO even when having two matches with some decent length to them the matches were kind of meh.

Biggest advantage that every other promotion has is that they are for the most part monthly shows

Depending on the week we does 6-10 hours a week

It's too much

I agree. He knows he can get by, for now, on charisma and his entrance. I think people will get sick of him doing what he is doing now though. His reputation preceeded him and he isnt wrestling strong style.

I think the problem is he came over on so much damn hype with people only watching his WK10 match, so they just expected that level of wrestling.

People argued that the way they handled his showing up on Smackdown was to "protect him" but honestly it was nothing more than building out a brand. All Nak is to WWE is an entrance and brand. Same thing as Naomi

gun_haver

ko doesn't seem to click with many people...

and yeah nakamura has been boring except for his first match with sami which was good. i don't really watch anything but i'm waiting to hear about a good nakamura match. AJ got given some shit to start with and made the best of it, nakamura just seems to be leaving it what it is.

I liked that midway into the Punjabi Prison I was like "boy, first House of Horrors, now this. Orton's one match away from owning the top 3 likeliest picks for Worst Match of the Year" and eventually the match ended with a tease for the third and final match in this trilogy: Khali/Orton

Not going against the grain, but I don't mind Corbin, Jinder or Roman right now. I think they're perfectly fine in their roles and what they're intended to be. It's just the entire presentation of the product makes them seem so much worse than they are.

klonere

Banned
In good news, AJPW have sold all the very expensive front row special tickets for their Sumo Hall show, pretty much immediately. This will probably cover nearly all their expenses for the event. Everything else will be gravy.

Looks like the Kento > Shuji title switch might be booking decision of the year. Based Uncle Jun.

Kurita

Was watching some G1 in my college lounge today, one of my friends told me she met Makabe cause they're from the same area.
"Very sweet guy, but his voice is a mess"
LMAO

Not going against the grain, but I don't mind Corbin, Jinder or Roman right now. I think they're perfectly fine in their roles and what they're intended to be. It's just the entire presentation of the product makes them seem so much worse than they are.

Jinder's presentation is literally the only good thing about him, outside of that he just a bland wrestler who sucks on promos

Jinder's presentation is literally the only good thing about him, outside of that he just a bland wrestler who sucks on promos

Honestly if Jinder wasn't in the main title picture I think people would be less angered with his push. However, people also seem to forget belts literally mean shit now. Looking back at some champions you had Jarret, Ahmed Johnson, Marty Jannety, Tito Santanna,

Hasney

Honestly if Jinder wasn't in the main title picture I think people would be less angered with his push. However, people also seem to forget belts literally mean shit now. Looking back at some champions you had Jarret, Ahmed Johnson, Marty Jannety, Tito Santanna,

Not really. He's a suckass wrestler and promo in a roster with much more talent than him. I'd rather he wasn't on the show at all and taking any spot.

Not really. He's a suckass wrestler and promo in a roster with much more talent than him. I'd rather he wasn't on the show at all and taking any spot.

But the problem with this is then we end up with the dreaded 50/50 booking so many people hate when two top guys face off. For some reason wrestling fans have an extreme hatred for it in WWE, but have no problem with the guys in NJPW trading wins/loses.

Top Bottom