• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Kaladin

So I don't know if it's fake or not, but it looked like there were things you couldn't do in the create an arena for 2k17. I think in 2k18 for the Seth Rollins story mode they're going to have an ROH arena and ROH versions of people in the game like Bryan Danielson, El Generico, ect.

Foggy

I was so hyped to finally see ZSJ in the CWC after all the hype.

I was so disgusted and disappointed when we all saw him in action.

Not sure how strong the correlation is, but the best matches I've seen him in have been matches against guys with catch or mma training as part of their base. That and phoning it in for his style is more glaring than other guys.

So I don't know if it's fake or not, but it looked like there were things you couldn't do in the create an arena for 2k17. I think in 2k18 for the Seth Rollins story mode they're going to have an ROH arena and ROH versions of people in the game like Bryan Danielson, El Generico, ect.
What? There's no way they're going to feature ROH in a WWE game

At best you'll get a generic "the indies" section in an NXT warehouse

Hasney

They've not even mentioned a story mode again. Probably happy to get away from it since it's the time consuming bit.

An actual story in career mode, if it's as promised, will be ace.

Real talk: if they ever made universe mode good, I would buy these games. Still expecting it as a birthday present most likely, but universe mode should offer infinite replayabaility with interesting angles.

it won't, though

I'd settle for bringing back GM Mode. And I mean real-ass GM Mode.

SVR 06 was the last WWE game I bought new, and the last one I ever liked/loved, for a reason.

Recall

Things I don't like about the modern Yukes games:

•The ropes are not ring ropes but wild elastic cords with their own mind.
•Terrible crowd audio and no ability to turn off the obnoxious commentary. The in ring audio of the bumps are bad.
•It plays like ass. Grapples are clumsy and it's a bore to play
•The move animations are very dated and stilted.
•The lack of modes such as the classic GM mode means you're stuck replaying history over and over again.
•Everything feels too safe and dull.

Hasney

What if 2k is holding back the updated models from Gamespot because they want to BLOW EVERYONES MINDS when they show it at Summerslam?

:lol

Kaladin

What if 2k is holding back the updated models from Gamespot because they want to BLOW EVERYONES MINDS when they show it at Summerslam?

:lol

I actually have some hopes for the models in this years game. It's the first year they are not developing for PS3 or Xbox 360 so they don't have to keep it where it's easy to scale to last gen. Smallest bit of hopes there.

The early PS2 Yukes games aren't amazing but they're The Citizen Kane Of Videogames compared to the modern garbage

I think the old PS2 Yukes games are worse. The gameplay is fast and the moves had zero impact. Here Comes the Pain is the only one I really liked. I can actually put on a realistic match with the current WWE games. Even if they are glitchy.

Old PS2 Yukes was far more janky IMO.

Hasney

I actually have some hopes for the models in this years game. It's the first year they are not developing for PS3 or Xbox 360 so they don't have to keep it where it's easy to scale to last gen. Smallest bit of hopes there.

Remember when we said that for WWE 12 dropping PS2 and it was somehow worse looking than the SD V Raw games?

I think the old PS2 Yukes games are worse. The gameplay is fast and the moves had zero impact. Here Comes the Pain is the only one I really liked. I can actually put on a realistic match with the current WWE games. Even if they are glitchy.

Old PS2 Yukes was far more janky IMO.
They weren't realistic but they were actually fun to play

HCTP gets all the hype but Shut Your Mouth is tops for me

Hasney

What was the best PS2 era WWE game? Got my PS2 set-up so might hunt out a used copy of something tomorrow.

Shut Your Mouth has a better season mode if you want to play through that, but everything else is pretty much better in HCTP

Get Fire Pro Returns too if you see it there

Zach

WWF Here Comes the Pain.
It's a trap! They're all bad!

I just watched a minute of Here Comes the Pain to make sure I'm totally right and I'm totally right. Lightning-fast Hollywood Hogan just flying around doing move after move. Haha.

They weren't realistic but they were actually fun to play

HCTP gets all the hype but Shut Your Mouth is tops for me

I didn't find the no-sell speed up PS2 style fun because it didn't emulate the product at all.

Back in those days every year people would be hoping for them to slow down the gameplay and make sure wrestlers actually stayed down when they took big bumps. Now it seems like the reverse is happening. It's kind of funny.

At least we have Fire Pro.

Hasney

I didn't find the no-sell speed up PS2 style fun because it didn't emulate the product at all.

Back in those days every year people would be hoping for them to slow down the gameplay and make sure wrestlers actually stayed down when they took big bumps. Now it seems like the reverse is happening. It's kind of funny.

At least we have Fire Pro.

Well they've proven they can't do a good simulation, so they may as well go back to what kind of worked. I prefer a more sim style if it actually works.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Smackdown 2 for PS1 is the most fun I ever had with a wrestling game. I'm sure it isn't one of the best, but I really haven't actually played many wrestling games and that game came out at my peak of excitement for wrestling, I was the perfect age and that shit was just fun at the time.

Hasney

Smackdown 2 for PS1 is the most fun I ever had with a wrestling game. I'm sure it isn't one of the best, but I really haven't actually played many wrestling games and that game came out at my peak of excitement for wrestling, I was the perfect age and that shit was just fun at the time.

I got that for my birthday with a multitap and it came 2 days early ready for people coming over to my house. Shit was sweet.

mPOeHlG.png

1UfKzRG.gif

The AKI N64 WCW and WWF games forever remain the GOAT games.

They are even starting to feel a bit dated now.

I still have my N64 just for No Mercy though.

Just take that engine and make me a new game. That's all I want. I have wanted that for over 15 years now.

Recall

It's a trap! They're all bad!

I just watched a minute of Here Comes the Pain to make sure I'm totally right and I'm totally right. Lightning-fast Hollywood Hogan just flying around doing move after move. Haha.

WWE All-Stars is amazing and it's nothing like regular pro wrestling.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
H9nestly if you're going to make a wrestling game that goes for authenticity and simulation then it shouldn't be a fighting game. It should either be a management sim or a game where the goal is to perform and work together with the peraon you're wrestling to put on a good match/work the crowd. If you're going for a combat style game, just make the mechanics fun and fluid authenticity and realism be damned. He mix of arcade and sim doesn't work. Be one or the other.

Sephzilla

I still want a wrestling game that goes completely nuts with integrating characters gimmicks in as gameplay mechanics. Like Undertaker only takes a third of the damage of a normal wrestler, but if you attack Paul Bearer or the Urn then Taker is more vulnerable and able to be stunned. Hogan gets a second health bar after he hulks up. Ric Flair gets stronger the more he bleeds. Etc.

H9nestly if you're going to make a wrestling game that goes for authenticity and simulation then it shouldn't be a fighting game. It should either be a management sim or a game where the goal is to perform and work together with the peraon you're wrestling to put on a good match/work the crowd. If you're going for a combat style game, just make the mechanics fun and fluid authenticity and realism be damned. He mix of arcade and sim doesn't work. Be one or the other.

Universe mode in 2k should make the matches about hitting specific spots and putting on a good performance. It wouldn't be that hard to integrate either. Let us book finishes.

Sephzilla

Recall's #HossStyle was one of my favorite parts of GWF5. I love how everyone thought he was another X-Men cosplayer until he turned around lol,

Kaladin

Universe mode in 2k should make the matches about hitting specific spots and putting on a good performance. It wouldn't be that hard to integrate either. Let us book finishes.

They tried to do that in My Career with the points system, but it was essentially "How many moves in your move set can you do in one match to make the match five stars?"

Hasney

Even if it's not the goal, just make finishes matter in the story. If you win by cheating, make the story around that.

They tried to do that in My Career with the points system, but it was essentially "How many moves in your move set can you do in one match to make the match five stars?"

And they brought that over to Universe. They tried and completely dropped the ball on what people wanted.

Top Bottom