• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Kaladin

When Joe debuted in NXT I honestly didn't give a shit because he'd been stinking it up in TNA for years. I was convinced he'd lost it. I'm so glad he proved me wrong.

Joe is very much like Randy Orton and gives a shit when you give him something to give a shit about, otherwise he'll go through the motions.

Kaladin

Like the new MYC logo.

Still 100% hate the month and a half tape delay.

I hate that they're putting the finals in with a random Smackdown taping. Why not keep it in front of the same crowd?

Glad I'm going to day 2 of the tapings at least. Round 2, Quarter Finals and Semi Finals :)

I mean think of it from AJ and Samoa Joe's perspective, certainly AJ. He had been with TNA since Day 1 and I can imagine he felt like TNA was 'his promotion' that one day he'd be the figurehead or whatever. They work hard in the ring, putting on a string of attention grabbing matches against each other and with other people, gaining TNA a lot of momentum and support.

Then suddenly... in comes Kurt Angle. OK, no worries, he's just one guy. Then Hogan. Then Bischoff. Then suddenly the TNA they knew was gone and the people seemingly running the place don't rate them. You're going to be deflated and probably start to resent the place and all the time and effort you put into helping build up the promotion. I'd be surprised if they weren't on the verge of hating being professional wrestlers, but since it's their job that's all they can do so just 'do it'.

Then suddenly they discover there is actually life away from TNA in the form of Japan and Indie shows. Suddenly WWE is calling... it's going to feel like a fresh start to your career again.

Sephzilla

I mean think of it from AJ and Samoa Joe's perspective, certainly AJ. He had been with TNA since Day 1 and I can imagine he felt like TNA was 'his promotion' that one day he'd be the figurehead or whatever. They work hard in the ring, putting on a string of attention grabbing matches against each other and with other people, gaining TNA a lot of momentum and support.

Then suddenly... in comes Kurt Angle. OK, no worries, he's just one guy. Then Hogan. Then Bischoff. Then suddenly the TNA they knew was gone and the people seemingly running the place don't rate them. You're going to be deflated and probably start to resent the place and all the time and effort you put into helping build up the promotion. I'd be surprised if they weren't on the verge of hating being professional wrestlers, but since it's their job that's all they can do so just 'do it'.

Then suddenly they discover there is actually life away from TNA in the form of Japan and Indie shows. Suddenly WWE is calling... it's going to feel like a fresh start to your career again.

And then Sting walked up to AJ backstage one day and said "welcome to how I felt in WCW"

Mahonay

Banned

I can only imagine how lucky guys like Joe feel right now.

Kaladin

I wouldn't put Angle in with the downfall of TNA. TNA got him in the later prime of his career and he had amazing stuff with both Joe and AJ. Hell, Joe vs Angle was probably one of TNA's top feuds.

Kaladin

Don't really understand why there's such a delay between the MYK tapings and the WWEN airing. Seems really weird to me.

It's probably the way they're releasing them in groups. Takes time to edit that many episodes where if they were doing it a week at a time, they could probably get them on without delay.

I wouldn't put Angle in with the downfall of TNA. TNA got him in the later prime of his career and he had amazing stuff with both Joe and AJ. Hell, Joe vs Angle was probably one of TNA's top feuds.

Perhaps, but it was the start of people coming in and taking the spotlight away from AJ and Samoa Joe. I won't disagree that they had good matches, but did it put AJ or Samoa Joe to the next level? I'm not entirely sure. It just seemed like a distraction.
Don't get me wrong, I was hyped as hell when Angle appeared in TNA. It's one of the few legit surprises I've had in professional wrestling.

I just think it was the start of TNA showing they didn't trust AJ or Samoa Joe to carry the company.

Gedo is a genius, he saw what no one else saw in AJ

One man saw it all before anyone else. MORTIMER PLUMTREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFtGsEUwUo

And maybe Jerry Lynn, I bet Lynn takes some credit in helping AJ develop. Jerry Lynn v AJ Styles for the X-Division title in 2002 was one of the few consistently good things from those early shows.

Angle wasn't the problem

You had a lot of WWE rejects like Tyson Tomko and Matt Morgan coming in like they were a big deal and starting to pollute the roster (a problem that still exists with GFW Impact Anthem Wrasslin) , but the real garbage didn't start flowing in until Hogan

Guys like Dudleys, Christian, Rhyno, Raven, and Angle fit in pretty well. It was cool because you got to see guys from "the good old days" who could still go in matches with great new talent

Even Sting's run was solid for what it was (at least in the early goings)

Angle wasn't the problem

You had a lot of WWE rejects like Tyson Tomko and Matt Morgan coming in like they were a big deal and starting to pollute the roster (a problem that still exists with GFW Impact Anthem Wrasslin) , but the real garbage didn't start flowing in until Hogan

Guys like Dudleys, Christian, Rhyno, Raven, and Angle fit in pretty well. It was cool because you got to see guys from "the good old days" who could still go in matches with great new talent

Even Sting's run was solid for what it was (at least in the early goings)

I'm not saying Angle was the problem, but the start of AJ and Samoa Joe being overlooked in favour of outside talent. It's like you've worked this start up business since Day 1, you've grown it into something pretty good, you feel you deserve a promotion, but the boss keeps headhunting from other business that have reputation in favour of you. You're going to feel betrayed at some point. It might not be the first person that comes in, but it all adds up.

I'm not saying Angle was the problem, but the start of AJ and Samoa Joe being overlooked in favour of outside talent.
I mean by that point Sting and Christian Cage were already their top guys, it's not like he took their spot

AJ and Joe were always at the top of the X Division, I don't think Angle really changed that

somedevil

Angle was one of the best things to happen to TNA.

The problem though was Vince Russo came at the same time. That feud then involved Angle and the 2nd match putting Samoa Joe's "girlfriend" in a ankle lock to get the final match.

2007 was the destructive year for TNA. Reverse battle royal, blindfold match and electrified steel cage

edit: Also when Angle came in people thought he was going to die in a TNA ring with all his drug related issues.

Foggy

Ah, never mind. It's mostly the junk single cam shows from BJW and AJPW: http://twitter.com/NjpwGaijinEric/status/882716380583383041

That means that I might have to sign up to watch the entire Champion Carnival ever again, but I don't think I want to ever watch an entire Champion Carnival after this year.

Yeah so those nico nico streams will stop appearing on the RHA, but $5 a month isn't too bad. I'm going to wait a month and then do the two week trial.

I mean by that point Sting and Christian Cage were already their top guys, it's not like he took their spot

AJ and Joe were always at the top of the X Division, I don't think Angle really changed that

That's partly my point, they never got promoted beyond that. They weren't given the chance to become the figurehead as new people kept coming in from outside of TNA to take that spot. I can understand the arguments for and against certain people coming in and being the figurehead. However to be constantly overlooked, it's going to slowly but surely leave you feeling worthless, sap your motivation and put you into a 'doing it for the money' mode, rather than doing it because it's my dream.

Why bust a gut when someone else is going to be hired in and reap the rewards of your labour?

The problem though was Vince Russo came at the same time. That feud then involved Angle and the 2nd match putting Samoa Joe's "girlfriend" in a ankle lock to get the final match.

2007 was the destructive year for TNA. Reverse battle royal, blindfold match and electrified steel cage

edit: Also when Angle came in people thought he was going to die in a TNA ring with all his drug related issues.

Classic TNA. Destroying all the hard work and momentum they had created with a stupid office decision because they felt like they had to be like WWE to go to the next level. Vince Russo was WWE once wasn't he? He did great for us back in 2002 too!

Alucard

Banned
Wrassle nerds...gimme five AJW matches that I need to check out. Links would help too...preferably on YouTube if possible.

Loved the Manami Toyota stuff I checked out in 2015 or something.

Looking through the year by year best of TNA post I put together, I can see how much Angle added to the company after his arrival. The series against Joe and the matches against Desmond Wolfe could have helped to raise them, but TNA botched it. So, they had him wrestle everyone, from Jarrett to Jeff Hardy to Mr. Anderson to Sting to try to find a main event that would work while the company burn around him.

It didn't help that they didn't do anything about his addiction, but he bears responsibility for that too.

Yeah so those nico nico streams will stop appearing on the RHA, but $5 a month isn't too bad. I'm going to wait a month and then do the two week trial.

It's rare that AJPW or BJW will have an awesome match on one of these Nico Pro shows, but it could happen. So, that could depress talk about those companies. But as long as the Korakuen and Sumo Hall shows get aired, I think the international buzz about these companies shouldn't be too badly affected.

As always, NOAH loses because some of their Korakuen shows have been airing on Nico Pro, which means that NOAH will probably get even less attention outside of Japan.

Zach

Did TNA have a Wild Cat Willie? TiNA the TyraNnosAurus or something? Could've worked wonders in the kidz demo.

You'd put them above the AJ v Samoa Joe v Christopher Daniels series of matches?

I think those matches are better matches in and of themselves, but I think the match quality combined with the stories of Angle's arrival and Joe's streak and his first loss/rebounding from that make the Angle/Joe series better as a whole.

The Ironman and Lockdown matches between Angle and Joe were the peak of TNA.

There are two matches that are synonymous with TNA to me: Joe vs. Daniels vs. Styles at Unbreakable 2005 and Joe vs. Angle at Lockdown.

They mean different things. The three-way is the capstone on the incredible X Division stuff from the early years. Even today, the Low-Ki vs. Dutt angle was pretty well built for Slammiversary.

Angle vs. Joe was a dream match, and the feud told a good story over the years. But that first loss cost Joe a lot, and I wonder what would have happened if Joe had won the first match.

somedevil

Classic TNA. Destroying all the hard work and momentum they had created with a stupid office decision because they felt like they had to be like WWE to go to the next level. Vince Russo was WWE once wasn't he? He did great for us back in 2002 too!

Vince was with TNA in 2002 with Sports Entertainment xtreme faction aka S.E.X. He left then came back when Angle came in.

Russo needs a filter. Unfiltered Russo was WCW 2000. TNA Russo was cramming too much in a show with not letting anything breath.

Top Bottom