• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Striker

Nobody in history benefited more from shit brand splits than Edge. 11 world titles and legit 8-9 of them were transitional or last-minute decisions because someone got hurt and the roster he was on was too small to build anyone else up in time to take that spot

I love Edge, and he and Christian are probably my two favorite WWE wrestlers of all time, but yeah he's probably not looked back on extremely fondly as a singles wrestler more than tag if it's not for a whole lot of dumb luck
Still despite losing all the time to Cena and big nose, no one has been better or hotter as a heel from 2005 til now in the company. Muhammad Hassan is there too but they screwed him over early and hard.

jJ07zgy.png

That's one way of making sure WrestleCircus can't profit off an ex-roster member of yours, Quack.

Wow... I can understand TNA and WWE doing this to some extent. CHIKARA I'm on the fence with, the CHIKARA I knew from 2002-2009 or so was really character driven, so in that respect I can understand them wanting to claim the character (after all different wrestlers have played the same character). Yet, at the same time I always thought that the original wrestler came up with the character with Quackenbush.

I don't know. Quackenbush sure is doing a lot of strange, selfish things for someone who speaks as if he wanted to be the fresh air within wrestling.

I just watch WWE for completely different reasons than I watch NJPW.

It's why I'm so much harder when NJPW slips up like they did in night one of the G1 Special

Yeah, I get that.

WWE is a totally different thing. Even as something different, it just hasn't been clicking with me for a while now and I'd rather take a break and come back at another point than moan and complain like I was. Digging through DDT Universe and joshi promotions takes up more of my time than WWE did anyways.

With so many people giving NJPW a go since the USA shows it will be interesting to see how readily people will go back to WWE after weeks of G1.

Shingo pinned YAMATO.

So that means T-Hawk is winning. Oh GOD.

EDIT: ABSOLUTELY ZERO REACTION FOR T-HAWK'S PROMO HOLY SHIT

Kinda got to admire the balls to pull the trigger on T-Hawk when the crowd so obviously doesn't give a shit - perhaps they can use it to their advantage, make T-Hawk the underserving shithead champion, propped up by VerserK.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stone Cold is a bigger Kenny Omega fanboy than all of Wrestlegaf combined

klonere

Banned
Kinda got to admire the balls to pull the trigger on T-Hawk when the crowd so obviously doesn't give a shit - perhaps they can use it to their advantage, make T-Hawk the underserving shithead champion, propped up by VerserK.

So basically, an Okada after his original challenge to Tana situation?

Well, I know it's not T-Hawk's first big shot but I guess having some hope is probably okay.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What makes you say that? Did he say something on a podcast?

Yeah he's marking out hard over Kenny lately, about both his Okada matches, says hes amazing on the mic (mentions a specific promo) and that he could easily be the biggest star in the wwe if they let him do his stuff, both in the ring and on the mic.

Yeah he's marking out hard over Kenny lately, about both his Okada matches, says hes amazing on the mic (mentions a specific promo) and that he could easily be the biggest star in the wwe if they let him do his stuff, both in the ring and on the mic.

Ah right. He probably would be a big star if they let him do him. I haven't listened to his podcasts in a while for whatever reason.

Jeez must be getting good money to come all the way over here.

I laughed when I saw this poster which included him recently. ROH champ slumming it at a tiny town in Ohio.

DD8B5RzV0AEZpyJ.jpg:large

Haha yeah.

He is doing a show in Wollongong and Campbelltown. Apparently he asks for absurd money too so they must be spending a bit. Another promotion brought out Mr Kennedy recently too.

Apparently the House of Hardcore shows were a really massive success here. The Young Bucks sold out of merch before their Perth show.

Ha ha ha so Meltz and Alvarez were just going nuts over DeAngelo Williams' debut match, saying he looked like a natural and that he looked better than Angle when he first debuted, that it was one of the most impressive debuts ever, basically getting really excited for his future in wrestling.

Well...

**DeAngelo Williams was a guest on Adam Schefter's podcast on ESPN and discussed this past weekend's match at Slammiversary. Williams stated that it was a ”one time deal" and will not be pursuing a career in professional wrestling. Williams explained that he had promised his uncle years ago that he would wrestle if given the opportunity, his uncle died five-years ago and then he was offered the chance to wrestle by Josh Mathews, who is good friends with Williams. Williams confirmed that he trained for three-days in Canada (at Scott D'Amore's Can-Am Wrestling school) prior to the tag match on Sunday. He ended up stating ”it was my debut and my retirement". He added that Impact was trying to get him to do another job and he said he wasn't interested.

http://fightnetwork.com/law/july-5-...lliams-says-slammiversary-was-his-last-match/

So much for that

Par for the course for the company formally known as TNA really

Yeah seems like they really enjoyed their quick tour here, hope they include Melbourne next time. I bet they're back within 12 months.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me. It is costly to tour here but everyone usually enjoys touring here so much they always come back pretty quickly (especially in more niche music scenes). From what I gather the ticket prices being $60 AUD and most (all?) of the shows being sell outs made it very successful.

Menome

30 is good. 40 is even better, except for the whole getting-fatter and closer-to-death things.

I've already started on getting the dad-bod. Once I move house, first thing I'm doing is grabbing a crossfit-machine to stick in front of a telly in the spare room. Two episodes of classic Simpsons a day and I should look like Duffman in no time.

I'm pretty comfortable with being a somewhat overweight drunkard.

Seriously though, I am only a few months into my 30s and it has already been better than my 20s.

Recall

Has any time scale been given for when Fire Pro World will reach consoles?

I know the PC release is essentially a beta test as it's easier to update Steam than consoles but how long am I going to have to wait as a PS4 user? 6 months, a year?

I can't wait, cannot fucking wait, to spend countless hours fixing the rosters and forever updating them with new edits and such. Never quite being satisfied yet deep down never wanting to be as I never want the edit wrestler journey to end. It's how I ended up playing Fire Pro A every day for close to 2 years, just one more edit...

Has any time scale been given for when Fire Pro World will reach consoles?

I know the PC release is essentially a beta test as it's easier to update Steam than consoles but how long am I going to have to wait as a PS4 user? 6 months, a year?

I can't wait, cannot fucking wait, to spend countless hours fixing the rosters and forever updating them with new edits and such. Never quite being satisfied yet deep down never wanting to be as I never want the edit wrestler journey to end. It's how I ended up playing Fire Pro A every day for close to 2 years, just one more edit...

From what I understand, the Steam release is near complete so I really don't think it will be a huge amount of time.

You probably don't need a super great PC to run it though. I think if Workshop integration is well implemented it could be pretty wonderful.

Hasney

Think they said at least by the end of the year, but it depends how early access goes. The netcode could be shagged.

Fox318

Man listening to meltzer break down the WWE and what its like to work there with Vince in creative.

I honestly wonder if the money is that good when you take into consideration that you will never grow your own personal brand and that schedule.

Man listening to meltzer break down the WWE and what its like to work there with Vince in creative.

I honestly wonder if the money is that good when you take into consideration that you will never grow your own personal brand and that schedule.

How much do jobbers (Curt Hawkins, Bo Dallas, Sami Zayn, etc) make?

edit: my mistake, thought you meant the talent and not the creative team

I was looking for console information myself the other day and saw the devs were saying that it would be in early access for a few months so chances are we will get the game for consoles towards the end of the year.

Sephzilla

It's Vince, a guy who refuses to call his most important talent "employees" because it saves him money. I doubt creative gets paid well

Sephzilla

This just made me think, could you imagine how fucked Vince would be if the wrestlers finally got their shit together and unionized?

I just watch WWE for completely different reasons than I watch NJPW.

It's why I'm so much harder when NJPW slips up like they did in night one of the G1 Special

I agree here, they're two completely different shows. It's like when people try to compared Breaking Bad with The Wire, they're just different.

I watch WWE to zone out and see some schlocky wrestling
I watch NJPW for match work and because it reminds me of older WCW/NWA/WWF
I watch Progress because it's just a lot of fun

Fox318

How much do jobbers (Curt Hawkins, Bo Dallas, Sami Zayn, etc) make?

edit: my mistake, thought you meant the talent and not the creative team

He was talking about performers.

Look at whats happened to Bayley for example.

Especially when you look at the New Jepan shows.

Everyone single performer has flaws of some sort yet they are able to build stars.

Outside of whoever gets the Paul-E booking with a Brock storyline nobody is ever elevated in the company.

Well, we know Vince would rather use a character or story he created at the expense of basically anything else and it isn't shocking the main event scene on SD is Jinder and Corbin (as well as Orton), despite the talent that they have on that show. It should be shocking, but yeah.

When you look at it, Okada wrestles something like 17-20 singles matches a year in general and while it is harder hitting, there are so many more tag matches where the bumps aren't as crazy by any means. Then you look at Owens taking suicidal bumps through tables at house shows and what not 300 days a year. WWE "employees" pay for their own travel and accommodation. They get a low percentage of merch cuts. I really do wonder how it all works out.

Top Bottom