• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

Is there a writeup by Bootaaaayyy or Data west on where to start with Japanese wrestling?

I watched a Bob Backland match in Japan and it reminded me that I don't watch nearly enough Japanese wrestling.

If you're looking to get on the bandwagon fairly early, Kento Miyahara's rise to become AJPW's ace this year has been full of good stuff. The match where he won the title against Zeus is okay, but he's wracked up good matches during the Champion Carnival and defenses.

Other modern stuff: Big Japan's hoss division is always entertaining. The Ikkitusen Strong Climb tournament was very entertaining, and the finale is a close MOTYC. Yuji Okabayashi is having a great run as champion, and Daisuke Sekimoto is still having great matches.

Dragon Gate's recent Dead or Alive show and the King of Gate tournament have been awesome, though I'm way behind on King of Gate.

All of this should be available in RealHero's Archive Google Doc spreadsheet: https://t.co/1kVasgs0ss

Its Vince.

He wanted to use dad solders to get heat for hulk hogan.

He's wanted to do an incest storyline for decades

He comes from an era where all he cares about is heat for the next thing and how to get more heat. Ironically Vince's storytelling really isn't good for most modern storytelling as nobody is able to have a character arc.

Everyone has a gimmick that they stick with and things just happen. Whereas on NXT you can see the arc of Jordan and Gable's friendship happen live on screen.

Hell look at WCW with the story of STing and Luger's friendship despite Luger being a heel then when the NWO invasion happens Luger can come out and say he was right all along.

Right now in the WWE there isn't really any story being told.
Dead soldiers you mean? You talking about Hogan v Slaughter?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd put the NEVER strap on Silva

doubt NJPW could afford him though. He's much more financially well off than Sakuraba, I'm sure.

Fox318

I love that first match from the UWF already data.

Ref is active, they are keeping scores, they have downs (which is great as it ads to the drama ) There looks like there are rules in place to prevent it from turing into an MMA fight which keeps it feeling more real.

Some pancrese open hand strike

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Akebono can use some Yakuza money and sign him for some Royal Road shows.
man, Akebono AND Spider? These are the things dreams are made of.
I love that first match from the UWF already data.

Ref is active, they are keeping scores, they have downs (which is great as it ads to the drama ) There looks like there are rules in place to prevent it from turing into an MMA fight which keeps it feeling more real.

Some pancrese open hand strike

https://rutube.ru/video/4ddeabaa59571b440803a9340558780f/

watch that after

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dragon Gate's a weird recommendation because to me, it's even more 'not really wrestling' than Lucha Underground is. Their match style is completely different than everyone else's. I remember watching Shingo wrestle Tanaka in Zero 1 earlier this year and Shingo looks like a cartoon character compared to Tanaka, like in how he moves, how he sells, his facial reactions.

QBCSS0064U_Ravishing_Rick_Rude_Mockup_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.rageon.com/products/ravishing-rick-rude-crewneck-sweatshirt

I fucking want it! 60 bills though!

Dragon Gate's a weird recommendation because to me, it's even more 'not really wrestling' than Lucha Underground is. Their match style is completely different than everyone else's. I remember watching Shingo wrestle Tanaka in Zero 1 earlier this year and Shingo looks like a cartoon character compared to Tanaka, like in how he moves, how he sells, his facial reactions.

Dragon Gate arguably has the most complete cards from top to bottom. It's built around taking human agility to its extreme, and the style isn't for everyone because there's so much of it. And the characters are frankly weird; there's not much you can say about Cyber Kong or the Jimmyz that would make a ton of sense.

Shingo's a particularly odd example. He's the dominant heel champ, and it feels right in the context of Dragon Gate. But I can't imagine the character making sense elsewhere because the character is like a high school bully. In fact, the comparison to high school dynamics, with all of the factions representing cliques, makes a certain amount of sense.

But Dragon Gate is the best company in the world on the style that it has, and it's quality is consistently high up and down the card.

the designs on some of these are hilarious but god damn it's gaudy as hell. i can imagine you would cause traffic accidents wearing their crewnecks.

the designs on some of these are hilarious but god damn it's gaudy as hell. i can imagine you would cause traffic accidents wearing their crewnecks.
BWAHHHHHHAAAAAHAHA!

What makes the retro stuff so cool is the fact that shit was so over the top like this back then so it really matches it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
PWG only booking Cobb after his LU stuff and Kamaitachi after his ROH deal really shows that PWG is as bad as ROH now though.

Shame, they used to be good at finding new stars. Now they can just pluck them from CZW and AAA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My bad, Zack Sabre Jr is going to get massacred by Cobb. ZSJ is going to attempt an Armbar and Cobb is just going to raise him up and beat him into the floor with his own arm

Jamie OD

PWG only booking Cobb after his LU stuff and Kamaitachi after his ROH deal really shows that PWG is as bad as ROH now though.

Shame, they used to be good at finding new stars. Now they can just pluck them from CZW and AAA.

Super Dragon doesn't watch wrestling.

DKehoe

Man...Scott Hall originally asked Vince McMahon if he ever saw Scarface and Vince said no lol

When Paul Burchill was a pirate Vince had no idea about Pirates of the Caribbean. Vince doesn't understand why anyone would ever watch anything but WWE. When Freddie Prince Jr was a writer, Vince got annoyed at him on a flight back from a show because he was watching a Richard Pryor DVD rather than a WWE product. When he told Vince he just wanted to relax and watch some comedy Vince replied "that's what Santino is for!"

bjork

When Paul Burchill was a pirate Vince had no idea about Pirates of the Caribbean. Vince doesn't understand why anyone would ever watch anything but WWE. When Freddie Prince Jr was a writer, Vince got annoyed at him on a flight back from a show because he was watching a Richard Pryor DVD rather than a WWE product. When he told Vince he just wanted to relax and watch some comedy Vince replied "that's what Santino is for!"

Man. If Richard Pryor were still alive and they could have him be Mudbone as Raw GM. Ratings, I tell you.

They got on the BritWres train, I won't say early but before the rest of US indies, and they got Lee and Everett when they were breaking out, but how long ago was that now?

klonere

Banned
He might, Mudbone was pre-Vince owning WWF. It's also a 40 year-old thing at this point, so he might've just recently seen it.

Did Pryor have a body of ass related humour? Or maybe slapstick comedy. Did he ever do stuttering? If not he probably doesn't rate on the Vince comedy-o-meter.

Top Bottom