• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

The wrestling may be better, but everything else is worse. Attitude Era had personalities, at least. Now we have people caping for Cesaro, a man more boring than fucking Mideon.

Opening minutes of this weeks lapsed fan:

"It was impressive how they pivoted from the Austin injury and continued to grow"

euJmKTo.gif

"They were so hot even acts of dubious quality like 2 Cool were outrageously over"

euJmKTo.gif

"Felt like there was a real direction to the product"

euJmKTo.gif

"The tits and sexism is also what made it good and pussy ass investors are one of the big reasons wrestling is bad nowadays"

p3mpPiX.gif

Dunno if I can force myself through this one for another 6 hours of Attitude Era masterbation.

Are those first three points not accurate?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In the context of WWE, heel authority figures were never really a thing until the Attitude Era. In fact authority figures in WWE before that were mostly invisible characters who only showed up to help push forward an angle between two wrestlers.

Pre-Attitude era authority figures and post-Attitude era authority figures are basically night and day from each other. And now we're stuck with Stephanie, who's the worst aspects of Vince without some of the common sense Vince had.

That sure helped Linda McMahon

Vince still runs the show, not Stephanie

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
For me, I think ignorance is involved Data. Back when RAW peaked , I was a naive kid who never pondered on social issues. I certainly wasn't anywhere near progressive enough to consider how hurtful some of the language was and may have even partook in some of it myself. It was a different era on several levels. 17 year old me thought "two penny whore with fake tits" was funny, so the details never stuck. it was "meh ...a joke". Now , being older, dad to two girls and involved with social issues, i look back on those with the shock of someone today watching them for the first time.

or maybe the ten year absence from the culture and programming erased a lot of those memories. I dunno.

I mean, even as a kid, I knew the deal with seeing Torrie and Daffney on screen. That they weere pretty ladies

but whenever I saw Godfather come out with the hos or Vince making out with young girls it's like 'this shit is dumb'

Anth0ny

Opening minutes of this weeks lapsed fan:

"It was impressive how they pivoted from the Austin injury and continued to grow"

euJmKTo.gif

"They were so hot even acts of dubious quality like 2 Cool were outrageously over"

euJmKTo.gif

"Felt like there was a real direction to the product"

euJmKTo.gif

"The tits and sexism is also what made it good and pussy ass investors are one of the big reasons wrestling is bad nowadays"

p3mpPiX.gif

Dunno if I can force myself through this one for another 6 hours of Attitude Era masterbation.

first of all, they're right. it was better then.

second of all, they don't even masturbate to the attitude era that much. they're more 80s-mid 90s fanboys as that's where their nostalgia lies. JP even mentions that he didn't think the 2000 Rumble was THAT great compared to, say, the 92 rumble.

even though it was the GOAT rumble.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, even as a kid, I knew the deal with seeing Torrie and Daffney on screen. That they weere pretty ladies

but whenever I saw Godfather come out with the hos or Vince making out with young girls it's like 'this shit is dumb'

Daffney was the greatest. Ranks up there with Lillian Garcia.

Anth0ny

To be fair, it's a 6 hour podcast. You'd have to be insane to want to listen to something that long.

i'm on the road alot, so I listen while driving. also while working out. the longer the podcast the better tbh. these things last me WEEKS.

especially when they're talking about the greatest year in the history of our sport, 2000.

I think as trash as a good chunk of the attitude era was, there was a personality and a fire there that drew people in.

Something intangible about the energy and the crowd. Seeing these gladiators beat the hell out of each other on your cheap tv that crushed all the black areas so the wrestlers popped out.

Everything's so lifeless, so inert nowadays.

I don't mind Steph as much as 90% of WrassleGAF does
I even tend to find her funny *gasp*
Yeah, Stephanie is fine.
i'm on the road alot, so I listen while driving. also while working out. the longer the podcast the better tbh. these things last me WEEKS.

especially when they're talking about the greatest year in the history of our sport, 2000.
We already know you're my insane doppelganger, and apparently a road warrior.

klonere

Banned
1997 > 2000

I've only ever watched the Rumble and Mania 2000 compared to every PPV from both companies and numerous Nitros/Raws in 97

Every era sucked for its own reasons

Still, this era didn't need to bring back the Too Many PPVs and Brand Split aspects of the last era, it already had plenty of its own reasons

daemissary

I think the Attitude Era is vastly overrated but it's still so much better than current main roster WWE.

The current product's booking is terrible and makes no logical sense...and somehow manages to also be predictable and boring.

Yes, hence my posting of a nodding Seth Rollins gif with each accompanying justifiable statement?

It's the last one that I have issues with.

Ah I misinterpreted. Not as obvious of a gif as nodding triple h or curved lip Batista

Yeah his name was Steve Austin.

I guess. But it really seemed like everyone was over in those days.

The new age outlaws were garbage, but even grandmas in the audience were doing the entrance speech.

And the pops too cool got at the rumble.

And of course there was Jim Ross.

Ah I misinterpreted. Not as obvious of a gif as nodding triple h or curved lip Batista

I guess. But it really seemed like everyone was over in those days.

The new age outlaws were garbage, but even grandmas in the audience were doing the entrance speech.

And the pops too cool got at the rumble.

And of course there was Jim Ross.

Taz,a as a God at the rumble too. No one from ROH could get that reaction. Wrestling was on aother level

Barrage

2000 is the best year in RAWs history. 98 and 99 are best watched by skipping the matches.

Im fine with WWE having more PPVs, its the only thing they consistently do well now. Minus Mania, every PPV this year has been good.

"Cut to people saying WWE is worse than its ever been, even tho in 05-07 1 out of every 3 ppvs were garbage"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena's not going to go back to full time, though. His new production studio has two shows in the cooker, and he's working on them as he wrestles when he can. He's making smart moves.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They better have Eva go full heel on Smackdown. She's a heat magnet like Roman, and with Eva there's at least hope they have her be the bad guy.

Bring in The Brian Kendrick so we can have mixed tag-teams again!

She won't have a choice. She'll be hated forever. I love it.

Sephzilla

They had a massive missed opportunity with Eva and Roman. Turn Roman heel and pair him with Eva. You'd have the most amazing heat magnet since 90s Vince

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They had a massive missed opportunity with Eva and Roman. Turn Roman heel and pair him with Eva. You'd have the most amazing heat magnet since 90s Vince

I'm sad they missed out on Eva Marie and Braun Strowman. I'd like to see Eva/Braun. For obvious reasons.

Barrage

If only her husband wasnt all over Total Divas.

Eva's ability to give heat might be too scorching. Like the heat X-Pac got from taking Tori from Kane literally never left the rest of his career.

Picture Eva leaving Tye Dillinger for, say, Baron Corbin.

klonere

Banned
Nah, Roman has some solid heel chops I think. The whole "I'm THE guy" thing was an A+ heel comment that he knew would get him heat from the crowd. It was legitimately great.

His dismissive body language is also A grade stuff.

VSdyaqR.gif

Looking at AJ like he don't know who he is and where he came from. Why are you in the Big Dog's ring huh?

Sephzilla

His dismissive body language is also A grade stuff.

VSdyaqR.gif

Looking at AJ like he don't know who he is and where he came from. Why are you in the Big Dog's ring huh?

Too bad Vince is so caught up on making face Roman happen. Heel Roman would probably be some legitimately great stuff

If only her husband wasnt all over Total Divas.

Eva's ability to give heat might be too scorching. Like the heat X-Pac got from taking Tori from Kane literally never left the rest of his career.

Picture Eva leaving Tye Dillinger for, say, Baron Corbin.
It's hard to say if the Total Divas thing would matter. On one hand you have Bryan and Brie's relationship I believe being acknowledged on the main roster because of the show's popularity but at the same time I believe we haven't heard one mention of Cena dating Nikki when they're featured regularly on Total Divas.

Top Bottom