• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I probably should have looked up from Pokemon Omega Ruby during the Zayn/Owens match. Gonna have to rewatch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If the point of this PPV was to set up SummerSlam they did a pretty bad job. But the PPV itself was actually quite good.

I figured it was Nia Jax but the moment Sasha came out I figured it had to be Bayley because Sasha and Jojo are both standing there with big shit-eating grins the entire time before Bayley's music hits.

Gotta go back and watch the Owens/Zayn match later today as well.

Kaladin

I think my cat likes wrestling:

13754155_10101767398072353_8074456003975401141_n.jpg

She only looks at the TV like that when wrestling is on. Maybe she's a fan or more likely all the quick camera cuts are attracting her attention...either way, it's kinda funny that it's what draws her attention to the TV. Also, she kept her head up that entire match but laid it down for Becky vs Natalya.

You're grown. Cash it in. Work. Beats the alternative...
I never asked for this! But yeah, being unemployed is fucking brutal. I guess I should count my blessings.
sounds like you worked yourself into a work by shooting while working.
I'm just trying to be great. :(
Are you hyping up your own workrate?
I mean, I can. But I'm just trying to vent at the moment. Apparently I got a bunch of consumer feedback that was saying how good of a job I did. Or to put it in carny speak, the fans gave me 5 stars when working them.
Beef is awesome clap clap clap

god dammit lol

I never asked for this! But yeah, being unemployed is fucking brutal. I guess I should count my blessings.

I'm just trying to be great. :(

I mean, I can. But I'm just trying to vent at the moment. Apparently I got a bunch of consumer feedback that was saying how good of a job I did. Or to put it in carny speak, the fans gave me 5 stars when working them.

god dammit lol

WORK FOREVER CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP WORK FOREVER

What's next for Ambrose?

ambosechokeslam.gif
The correct choice tbh, all new champs must test their drawing power against the gatekeeper.

Damn. Ever since my job found out how good of a worker I am, they've been slamming me with hours. I haven't even had a day off since EVO ended.

Now you've made it to the top just limit your warcrate and maybe consider oodles of noodles level of effort, you can coast now my friend.

Angry Grimace

I liked the part where JBL explicitly mentioned Cass's future singles career.

My issue with Enzo is that he's great on the mic but he just seems completely meh in the ring. Which might be WWE's fault, given his role is basically getting the shit kicked out of him before he makes the hot-tag to Cass, then does the top-rope Cass-assisted drop. The guy is fire when it comes to talking, but seems average when fighting. But hey, he's got insane charisma which for some people is all you need whereas all Cass has going for him in height.

Which unfortunately is what seems to matter near the most in this business. So Cass will probably be IC or US champion in less than a year.

Ambrose stays winning.

Toki767

Cass still sounds like he's reading a script on the mic. He also talks so slow when he says anything other than "How you doin" like he's trying to make sure he gets every word correct.

It sounds very unnatural.

My issue with Enzo is that he's great on the mic but he just seems completely meh in the ring. Which might be WWE's fault, given his role is basically getting the shit kicked out of him before he makes the hot-tag to Cass, then does the top-rope Cass-assisted drop. The guy is fire when it comes to talking, but seems average when fighting. But hey, he's got insane charisma which for some people is all you need whereas all Cass has going for him in height.

Which unfortunately is what seems to matter near the most in this business. So Cass will probably be IC or US champion in less than a year.

Ambrose stays winning.

I love the dynamic between Enzo and Cass. Enzo should always be getting his ass kicked and then in each promo act like he's doesn't.

Kaladin

I wonder if they'll give Carmella a new thing. She kept the Enzo and Cass gimmick on NXT because it was established there, but on Smackdown she'll come off as a knockoff to people who don't know her.

Angry Grimace

Cass is better than Roman at the parts that matter. He's worse at wrestling, but he's competent enough and at the very fucking least he doesn't have the Spear. Goddamn I hate that fucking move.

Cass still sounds like he's reading a script on the mic. He also talks so slow when he says anything other than "How you doin" like he's trying to make sure he gets every word correct.

It sounds very unnatural.

He talks slow on purpose. It's part of the gimmick that he plays off of Enzo who is basically Cocaine personified.

Toki767

I wonder if they'll give Carmella a new thing. She kept the Enzo and Cass gimmick on NXT because it was established there, but on Smackdown she'll come off as a knockoff to people who don't know her.

They won't. They'd be stupid to basically call up someone from NXT and then stick them with a new gimmick.

Cass is better than Roman at the parts that matter. He's worse at wrestling, but he's competent enough and at the very fucking least he doesn't have the Spear. Goddamn I hate that fucking move.

What does he have? The big boot I guess?

Kaladin

They won't. They'd be stupid to basically call up someone from NXT and then stick them with a new gimmick.

She essentially has her own version of the Enzo and Cass gimmick but she was never near as over.

I'd even say just drop the whole talking on the way to the ring for her and let her be herself.

Angry Grimace

What does he have? The big boot I guess?

He has a sitout side slam called the "East River Crossing" as his normal finisher, the Rocket Launcher as his tag-team finisher with Enzo and he has a few other signature moves which are just basic moves with theatrics, e.g. the Empire Elbow (just a basic elbow drop) and the big boot.

She essentially has her own version of the Enzo and Cass gimmick but she was never near as over.

I'd even say just drop the whole talking on the way to the ring for her and let her be herself.

She was an entertaining part of the act by the end but if there was ever a team that didn't need a manager its Enzo and Cass.

Balor turned 35 today. It's weird to think he's only four years younger than the likes of Cena and AJ since he could pass for a few years younger.

At the same time it's cool the guy gets to make his main roster debut on his birthday.

Toki767

Maybe the best thing they could possibly do on Raw to gain quick interest is to put Balor in whatever title match will be to crown a new champion on Raw and just let him win it.

As soon as it gets announced that the match to crown a new champion is Rollins vs Reigns, I imagine the audience is going to tune out again.

Fox318

They taught Roman how to be a tv wrestler.

Lots of punches and moves that can look cool with Kevin Dunn smiling but no sounds or impact to get the crowd going.

Shit if you flipped up Roman's moveset so that powerbomb or something like a brainbuster he would be more over.

If Roman can't turn it around as a face or even a heel his career should be a prime example of a few things:

• You can't instantly get a guy over when everyone is 50/50
  • Don't fuck up by scripting shit promos to somebody who isn't great at scripted promos
  • If you ignore what the crowd wants(ie Bryan) for so long don't expect them to just go along with everything
  • A commentary team that isn't trusted or beloved by the audience can not get anyone over(Only person Cole has gotten over in the past 10 years was Brock when he F5ed him.
  • If somebody is injured and part of their push was a key win you can't continue the story when he comes back
  • If you don't feel secure that the most over babyface can work your schedule either have him work limited dates or keep him off tv if you aren't going to give him a big win
  • Pure Babyfaces take time to build (See Bayley and Zayn)

That Orton vs Reigns match should be a key look as to what Reigns could have looked like as the guy.

JTripper

I was pleasantly surprised by Battleground last night. Glad they're finally trying to build Smackdown as a serious show to rival Raw.

Toki767

They taught Roman how to be a tv wrestler.

Lots of punches and moves that can look cool with Kevin Dunn smiling but no sounds or impact to get the crowd going.

Shit if you flipped up Roman's moveset so that powerbomb or something like a brainbuster he would be more over.

If Roman can't turn it around as a face or even a heel his career should be a prime example of a few things:

• You can't instantly get a guy over when everyone is 50/50
  • Don't fuck up by scripting shit promos to somebody who isn't great at scripted promos
  • If you ignore what the crowd wants(ie Bryan) for so long don't expect them to just go along with everything
  • A commentary team that isn't trusted or beloved by the audience can not get anyone over(Only person Cole has gotten over in the past 10 years was Brock when he F5ed him.
  • If somebody is injured and part of their push was a key win you can't continue the story when he comes back
  • If you don't feel secure that the most over babyface can work your schedule either have him work limited dates or keep him off tv if you aren't going to give him a big win
  • Pure Babyfaces take time to build (See Bayley and Zayn)

That Orton vs Reigns match should be a key look as to what Reigns could have looked like as the guy.

The most important lesson to be learned?

WWE can't just create a new superstar at the drop of a dime.

Was Goldberg the first person to do the Spear?

I really can't recall anyone doing it before him.

Nope, but it wasn't generally called the spear before Goldberg - I recall hearing Gordon Solie call it the 'low-angle shoulder tackle'. Duggan used to do one that was very similar back in his Mid-South days, before he started getting extra lazy and replaced it with a three-point stance into a regular shoulder tackle.

Fox318

The worst thing about watching old wrestling is seeing the crowds pop for things.

Saw an old MSG show a while back and my good the cheering for Andre to get out of a headlock.

Now the crowd is either on their hands, hijacking the show because the logic is fucked up, or singing a song while missing spots.

Crowds in Mexico seem the best right now. That LA Park video was nuts with the crowd getting into it

imBask

Banned
The worst thing about watching old wrestling is seeing the crowds pop for things.

Saw an old MSG show a while back and my good the cheering for Andre to get out of a headlock.

Now the crowd is either on their hands, hijacking the show because the logic is fucked up, or singing a song while missing spots.

well when they actually pop for something or get into the match, half this thread shits on them because they're "hijacking the show", so I don't know who to believe anymore

Zach

well when they actually pop for something or get into the match, half this thread shits on them because they're "hijacking the show", so I don't know who to believe anymore

People are sad pandas because shoot reactions have mostly been replaced with work reactions, you see.

Top Bottom