• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

klonere

Banned
CmnQwNkVIAAIurq.jpg:medium

For "some" read most.

bjork

That is a sad attempt at trying to steer the discussion. "Don't be negative" to a bunch of wrestling fans. TNA fans at that.

bjork

Fellows, I just got back from depositing the check my grandmother left for me. They had to get approval because it was over the limit, so for about 30 seconds I felt like a big shot. There's a hold on most of it until the 12th, but after that, I can pay off my student loans in full and be solvent for the first time since like 2001. If anything happens to me, I don't leave anything behind for anyone else to pay off. I can die clean. That's a good feeling.

Kurita

Fellows, I just got back from depositing the check my grandmother left for me. They had to get approval because it was over the limit, so for about 30 seconds I felt like a big shot. There's a hold on most of it until the 12th, but after that, I can pay off my student loans in full and be solvent for the first time since like 2001. If anything happens to me, I don't leave anything behind for anyone else to pay off. I can die clean. That's a good feeling.

You'll go into the HOF for sure

But I'm sorry
WA0t3Rn.jpg

Zach

Late '99. I'm almost to Halloween Havoc '99, which is apparently the first show of The Russo Era.

Kinda excited.

Toki767

Wait, debt isn't erased if the person dies?

XenoRaven

mist.gif

I need to be careful not to go down too many of these legitshook.com rabbit holes...
I know this is completely OT, but there's a moment from the G1 like two years ago I think where Yujiro busts Nagata's lip open. So Nagata's natural response was to let his own blood gather in his mouth and spit it in the air exactly like this.

Zach

Welp, never mind. Schiavone just said tonight -- October 18, 1999 Nitro -- is Russo and Ferrara's first night and he's not sure what to expect.

Can't watch, though. Gotta watch stupid No Mercy '99, as the last Nitro just rolled into this episode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Congratulations on your freedom. Rest easier, friend bjork.

miserable

Okada is only 28 and has more IWGP heavyweight reigns than The Great Muta/Keiji Mutoh. A name synonymous with NJPW for over a decade and one of the Three Musketeers of NJPW.

but let's be sarcastic and pretend that Okada isn't overpushed and the importance of the title isn't constantly deflated.

actually he has 4, the same as Mutoh. and Okada isn't the only one "overpushed" like you say. Tana racked up 4 title reigns in 3 years.Tenzan got to 4 reigns in 2 and a half years. did you complain about them too back then?

Okada is only 28 and has more IWGP heavyweight reigns than The Great Muta/Keiji Mutoh. A name synonymous with NJPW for over a decade and one of the Three Musketeers of NJPW.

but let's be sarcastic and pretend that Okada isn't overpushed and the importance of the title isn't constantly deflated.

Okada has held the title four times for 800+ days in five years. Mutoh held the title twice for 600+ days in three and a half years. Not a great deal of difference there in my estimation, not to mention the supporting cast of genuine main event talent Mutoh had beside him during those years and in the years directly after his first two reigns, namely: Shinya Hashimoto, Kensuke Sasaki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Nobuhiko Takada, Scott Norton & Masahiro Chono.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only complaint I'd have about Okada is that he doesn't have as good a supporting cast (excluding the man himself, Tanahashi) compared to the greats Mutoh worked with.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
actually he has 4, the same as Mutoh. and Okada isn't the only one "overpushed" like you say. Tana racked up 4 title reigns in 3 years.Tenzan got to 4 reigns in 2 and a half years. did you complain about them too back then?

Dude, tons of people complained about Tenzan and Tanahashi's title and G1 pushes. Tenzan and Tanahashi were both already in their 30s when their big main event poushes started. Okada is only 28 and firmly cemented into the main event picture as the sole focus of the company.

He's not going to suddenly stop competing for the title anytime soon. He's going to break every record and since they're going to want to 'keep it fresh'(but not let Okada stay out of the title picture for longer than a month) he's going to lose the title and get it back quickly. His reigns are going to inflate so bad that Edge's sudden title spree or Booker T's 5 time championship spree back in the day is going to look serious and well-paced.

If Okada's the be all and end all, it sure is strange he's only in a single G1 main event this year while Shibata is in nine. Almost as if they're trying to position Shibata as one of the top draws. But sure, it's an all Okada future. Naito's not winning the G1 or the WK contract, nor is he winning the title at WK and, even if any of that somehow happens, he's certainly not holding the belt for longer than a month. Yay, pessimism!!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only complaint I'd have about Okada is that he doesn't have as good a supporting cast (excluding the man himself, Tanahashi) compared to the greats Mutoh worked with.

That's booking's fault though. They had the greatest heavyweight roster in years and let three of them get away, didn't build up anyone else, and ultimately proved that one guy is always more important than everyone else. Shibata fucking around firmly puts him in the upper midcard and not the main event because they were scared to pull the trigger on him because Tanahashi got legit shook by him years ago. They sent Suzuki off to a NOAH death camp and Naito's popularity pretty much flies in the face of what they were trying to do with their booking for years. Basically thank Rush and Sombra for building them a main eventer for free.

When you're being scalped by WWE constantly you can not do this Hulk Hogan Golden Age 'THE guy' bullshit unless you're on top. And NJPW isn't on top.

imBask

Banned
Brock's match are only good when his opponent is willing to take a beating, and give one too. 2016
Orton
is the polar opposite of that

miserable

Dude, tons of people complained about Tenzan and Tanahashi's title and G1 pushes. Tenzan and Tanahashi were both already in their 30s when their big main event poushes started. Okada is only 28 and firmly cemented into the main event picture as the sole focus of the company.

He's not going to suddenly stop competing for the title anytime soon. He's going to break every record and since they're going to want to 'keep it fresh'(but not let Okada stay out of the title picture for longer than a month) he's going to lose the title and get it back quickly. His reigns are going to inflate so bad that Edge's sudden title spree or Booker T's 5 time championship spree back in the day is going to look serious and well-paced.

well then your best hope is that Vince and Based Haitch lure Okada to the big leagues

Brock's match are only good when his opponent is willing to take a beating, and give one too. 2016
Orton

Agreed. Lesnar vs. Orton would likely be even worse than Lesnar vs. Ambrose, other than the potential for an F5-into-RKO transition that'll never happen.

Orton
Orton probably can't even give you a regular match without pulling some sort of muscle. Like I said, Brock's going to end his career giving Orton's brittle body those Suplexes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
well then your best hope is that Vince and Based Haitch lure Okada to the big leagues

They will. there's no way he sticks around long-term. He can talk building up NJPW all he wants, but he'll jump ship sooner than later.

And then booking will turn into a burning dumpster fire and someone will get shouldered with the responsibility of suddenly being 'the guy' and it'll fail because they didn't build them up and Yujiro will write a tell-all book.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If Okada's the be all and end all, it sure is strange he's only in a single G1 main event this year while Shibata is in nine. Almost as if they're trying to position Shibata as one of the top draws. But sure, it's an all Okada future. Naito's not winning the G1 or the WK contract, nor is he winning the title at WK and, even if any of that somehow happens, he's certainly not holding the belt for longer than a month. Yay, pessimism!!

You know damn well Shibata's not gonna be up there. How many years is it Shibata's year? How many?!

KissVibes

Banned
Orton

Hey man, you never know.

He gets injured again and can retire, move back into the basement, finish Batman: Arkham City, then get his gas station job back. Live the Orton dream.

You know damn well Shibata's not gonna be up there. How many years is it Shibata's year? How many?!

Look, I don't want to get into a fight here but 2016 is actually the year of The Wrestler. He signed a goddamn contract. This is his fucking year. Then it'll be his goddamn decade.

Top Bottom