• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

Recall

So just catching up and read that Final Deletion actually was a draw and bumped the rating.

That's cool. It's about time we had more Lucha Underground style produced wrestling.

kiguel182

tumblr_o9whg5cIS41u9rkhoo1_400.gif

I will never be over this moment.

Right from the beginning this was delivering. What a moment.

Kyonashi

Apologies if this is a FAQ or whatever, but after a bit of OT searching and looking on subreddits and the like I still haven't found a good answer.

I was born in '93 and when I was a kid my parents never got cable and didn't want us watching wrestling, so I was totally on the fringe of like, seeing an advert when I was at a friends house or whatever and begging my parents to let us get cable so we could watch it, but they never gave in.

Now I'm old enough to make my own damn decisions, I want to watch some damn wrestling. Seeing as I know *literally nothing* about wresting leagues or characters or storylines - what's worth watching? How the hell do you 'get into' wrestling? I hear complaints about modern wrestling
I mean, people complain about modern everything
- so what would you show someone who had never watched it in their life? I don't mind what era/company its from or whatever, just want to watch some cool matches with some dope moves.

Apologies if this is a FAQ or whatever, but after a bit of OT searching and looking on subreddits and the like I still haven't found a good answer.

I was born in '93 and when I was a kid my parents never got cable and didn't want us watching wrestling, so I was totally on the fringe of like, seeing an advert when I was at a friends house or whatever and begging my parents to let us get cable so we could watch it, but they never gave in.

Now I'm old enough to make my own damn decisions, I want to watch some damn wrestling. Seeing as I know *literally nothing* about wresting leagues or characters or storylines - what's worth watching? How the hell do you 'get into' wrestling? I hear complaints about modern wrestling
- so what would you show someone who had never watched it in their life? I don't mind what era/company its from or whatever, just want to watch some cool matches with some dope moves.
Mankind v The Undertaker KoTR 98. Enjoy

Rey Mysterio v Eddie Guerrero wCw Halloween Havoc 97

HBK v Razor Ramon WM X

HBK v The Undertaker WM 25

Chris Benoit v Chris Jericho Royal Rumble 2001

RVD v Jerry Lynn ECW Hardcore Heaven 99

https://vimeo.com/63238604

Watch this:

Tomohiro Ishii vs Katsuyori Shibata

Recall

Bracketology has really piqued my interest in the CWC shows. I love the idea of giving me a chance to get to know and care before the shows start.

klonere

Banned

Watch these back to back, you couldn't choose two better matches from two different eras displaying what I personally love about wrestling.

Bracketology has really piqued my interest in the CWC shows. I love the idea of giving me a chance to get to know and care before the shows start.

It's so elementary but so well done. Just a bunch of diverse guys with interesting backgrounds who want to win. Fascinated to see if this model of presentation will shift over to anything else they do - it's too much work done to just keep inside this one little strange bubble of the company.

I can see why NXT is suffering as well, they clearly put some top people down in Florida on this, leaving the creative juices a little dry for weekly NXT TV.

I think you can still get a free month of the wwf network, which gives access to a ton of content. I don't have the network anymore, so I'm not sure what crockett/wcw stuff is up, but as far as wwf is concerned, some of my favourite matches are:

Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon - Wrestlemania X
Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker - Badd Blood 1997
Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker - Wrestlemania XXV
Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker - Wrestlemania XXVI
Shawn Michaels vs John Cena - Raw 23/4/2007
Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho - Wrestlemania XIX
Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho - Unforgiven 2008
Shawn Michaels vs Vince Mcmahon - Wrestlemania XXII (no moves, just venom)
Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle - Wrestlemania XXI
Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit vs HHH - Wrestlemania XX
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Survivor Series 1996
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania XIII
Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - Summerslam 1994
Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - Wrestlemania X
Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect - Summerslam 1991
Bret Hart vs British Bulldog -SummerSlam 1992
John Cena vs CM Punk - Money in the Bank 2011
Brock Lesnar vs Seth Rollins vs John Cena - Royal Rumble 2015

I need to stop there lol, I spent too much time on shawn and bret alone. Bear in mind some of these matches are enhanced by watching the vignettes in the weeks that preceded them, but more often then not the promo before the match will tie it together well enough.

KingBroly

Banned
I still say the 1995 Survivor Series is a very overlooked gem. Fun show, good gimmick matches, great main event. You can skip over Goldust v. Bam Bam Bigelow, though. Unless you really want to see A LOT of Goldust. >_>

I still say the 1995 Survivor Series is a very overlooked gem. Fun show, good gimmick matches, great main event. You can skip over Goldust v. Bam Bam Bigelow, though. Unless you really want to see A LOT of Goldust. >_>

I remember his entrance took so long, his music looped.

It's not bad. I think all the survivor matches were good, and bret got a decent match out of nash

I've been writing about the some of the off the beaten track wrestling matches I've seen, and I usually include a bunch of gifs too: http://wrestlingwiththoughts.tumblr.com. Since I pretty much cherry pick, these matches tend to also be pretty good. I usually link to the ones that are freely available on the Web, so you can watch the matches yourself.

Watch ECW 1995-1997, WCW mid 1996-early 1998, WWF 1997-early 2001

Kyonashi

Thanks for the match suggestions, guys - can these just be watched solo or do I need context or outside the ring stuff to get the full effect?

Thanks for the match suggestions, guys - can these just be watched solo or do I need context or outside the ring stuff to get the full effect?
Most if not all the matches have a video package right before the match starts, that explain the background and lead up to it.

The stuff I watch generally doesn't have much of a storyline beyond "competition" to them, but I write about what I understand of the match'a context where possible.

klonere

Banned
Listened to the "Beat up John Cena" promo.

Holy shit when did AJ get so amazing at promo's, he's out there for 6 minutes killing it on the microphone and spawning a great little catchphrase at the same time as well as making his two buds look great. The actual Total Package, AJ Styles.

Holy shit when did AJ get so amazing at promo's, he's out there for 6 minutes killing it on the microphone and spawning a great little catchphrase at the same time as well as making his two buds look great. The actual Total Package, AJ Styles.
And he's got an awesome look. Best look in wrestling imo
besides #Broken Matthew Hardy of course
tumblr_o5314bJCQK1u1ljrzo3_500.gif

Kurita

Best WWE feud in recent years?

Zach

I skimmed the suggestions above. Did I really not see Flair, or Arn, or Malenko vs. Mysterio?

Disgust.

Also, there shouldn't be a list of 1,000 Shawn Michaels matches (I'll let Bret slide); there should be a list for Eddie, though.

If you're looking for instantly impressive shenanigans, suggestion seeker, I just watched Edge/Christian vs. The Hardys from No Mercy '99 in a ladder match and it was pretty crazy.

I'm super glad he got to go heel. Dude is having a ton of fun out there.

I skimmed the suggestions above. Did I really not see Flair, or Arn, or Malenko vs. Mysterio?

Disgust.

I would've suggested Destroyer vs Baba, as it's one of the best matches ever, but I also doubt that it would be terribly conducive to introducing a potential fan to what wrestling's all about.

Also, fuck WCW :p

Syder

I think I've seen the 'breaking news' that Lesnar is fighting
Orton
at SummerSlam 4 times in the last fortnight.

Really great opponent choice after coming off of a long-term shoulder injury...

Disgust.

Also, there shouldn't be a list of 1,000 Shawn Michaels matches (I'll let Bret slide); there should be a list for Eddie, though.

If you're looking for instantly impressive shenanigans, suggestion seeker, I just watched Edge/Christian vs. The Hardys from No Mercy '99 in a ladder match and it was pretty crazy.

That list needs more WCW

Laws00

Saw Final Deletion what the hell did I just watch

one part corny, one part wtf, the other AWESOME

"It's an extraordinary xylophone!"

"It's a dilapidated boat!"

"Prepare the battlefield, for massacre."

"My gift to King Maxell, who will one day be the heir to the Hardy name, to the Hardy throne, is I am going to expunge the evil enigma from our family tree, forever!"

Flair vs Vader at Cade '93
Flair vs Taker at Mania 18
Flair vs Shawn at Mania 24
Flair vs Macho Man at Mania 8
Feels obligatory but Rumble '92

I really gotta watch me some WCW Flair later.

There would have been but I got tired from doublechecking exactly when all those matches were.

All the micheals matches I listed were fantastic apart from the mcmahon match which has its own unique appeal

Zach

I would've suggested Destroyer vs Baba, as it's one of the best matches ever, but I also doubt that it would be terribly conducive to introducing a potential fan to what wrestling's all about.

Also, fuck WCW :p
Remember to suggest that to me if I ever make it through my chrono-journey.

That list needs more WCW

Flair vs Vader at Cade '93
Flair vs Taker at Mania 18
Flair vs Shawn at Mania 24
Flair vs Macho Man at Mania 8
Feels obligatory but Rumble '92

I really gotta watch me some WCW Flair later.
Yeah! Yeah!

There would have been but I got tired from doublechecking exactly when all those matches were.

All the micheals matches I listed were fantastic apart from the mcmahon match which has its own unique appeal
But you listed that hack The Undertaker multiple times.

Guzim

I think I've seen the 'breaking news' that Lesnar is fighting Orton at SummerSlam 4 times in the last fortnight.

Really great opponent choice after coming off of a long-term shoulder injury...

No spoilers needed for that since it's official.

imBask

Banned
I need the worst PPV between 2002 and 2007

we're doing a special edition of "shlock nights" at my place tonight and we're thinking about watching a bad PPV from that era

Top Bottom