• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

Novid

Banned
The difference between Hogan and Cena is Hulk, you know, HULKED THE FUCK UP and won. It was his gimmick - get his ass kicked and then the power of the crowd feeds him to become invincible. Similar to you know, the Undertaker's "rise" or Sting's chest pound or whatever else. It's a part of what made him HIM.

Cena has no gimmick. The guy literally just gets the shit beat out of him, and a minute later just wins for no rhyme or reason. There's no actual story in the match because it just breaks conventional wrestling wisdom. It's like if Hogan, instead of hulking up, just randomly body slammed a guy and hit a leg drop to win out of nowhere, just because.

That's why Cena is so annoying and it's a trollworthy thing. Cue the Vince "LOL Cena wins" pic.

That and the fact Hogan that had a 5 year rivalry with Andre, was a tweener during the Elisabeth storyline, had his era end during the Warrior days etc...

Go Tumblr

dzJYG.png

Alucard

Banned
Dragon Kid is kind of sloppy at points and also isnt as good as he used to be

I last saw him about 2 years ago. He looked really good to me in person, and he rocks on all of the Dragon Gate DVDs I've seen him on. I guess I've missed something recently.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's because WWE had several Cena-level wrestlers during that time. Today it's a different story, he's all they got. The roster is extremely thin with super over stars.

BS.

They have the best technical wrestler (and one of the most versatile workers) in Bryan Danielson

They have the biggest draw in Mexico in Mistico

They have a member of one of the most well known wrestling families in Mexico in Alberto del Rio.

They have CM Punk, who is as good on the stick as anyone and almost as versatile as Danielson.

They still have Chris Jericho and christian, who can pull good matches out of anyone

Kane proved he can contribute positively to a feud in the triple threat last month, though he certainly isn't as capable as he was in the past.

They have Mark Henry, who probably had the best Monster Heel run since Kane's first few years (And I say this as someone who has hated Mark Henry for most of his career).

They have cody rhodes and dolph ziggler, both amazing ring workers that pull the best out of their opponents (particularly ziggler).

They have Kofi and R Truth, who have shown that, if given the ball, they can do amazing things (see Kofi's feud with Orton and R Truth when he had a heel turn).

They have Evan Bourne, a great high flyer that the crowd loves.

They have Wade Barrett, who EASILY handled the demands of being an upper card heel, both on the mic and in the ring.

They've come up with two incredible angles with MitB 2011 and the NXT invasion 2 years ago (Both of which they botched), two angles that really, really could have been as big as the rise of Stone Cold and the NWO.

They have a kid-marketable guy in John Cena.

WWE has a very, very, very strong roster. The problem is that the only purpose of the roster is to make Cena look good. Cena IS WWE. That's the problem.

tm24

I last saw him about 2 years ago. He looked really good to me in person, and he rocks on all of the Dragon Gate DVDs I've seen him on. I guess I've missed something recently.

Actually, he's been at his best in the last few years, mostly because he has slowed down his pace a bit. But if youre looking for a Rey replacement, he's not it. He's actually just as old as Mysterio, around 36 or so i think

BS.

They have the best technical wrestler (and one of the most versatile workers) in Bryan Danielson

They have a member of one of the most well known wrestling families in Mexico in Alberto del Rio.

They have CM Punk, who is as good on the stick as anyone and almost as versatile as Danielson.

They still have Chris Jericho and christian, who can pull good matches out of anyone

Kane proved he can contribute positively to a feud in the triple threat last month, though he certainly isn't as capable as he was in the past.

They have Mark Henry, who probably had the best Monster Heel run since Kane's first few years (And I say this as someone who has hated Mark Henry for most of his career).

They have cody rhodes and dolph ziggler, both amazing ring workers that pull the best out of their opponents (particularly ziggler).

They have Kofi and R Truth, who have shown that, if given the ball, they can do amazing things (see Kofi's feud with Orton and R Truth when he had a heel turn).

They have Wade Barrett, who EASILY handled the demands of being an upper card heel, both on the mic and in the ring.

They've come up with two incredible angles with MitB 2011 and the NXT invasion 2 years ago (Both of which they botched), two angles that really, really could have been as big as the rise of Stone Cold and the NWO.

WWE has a very, very, very strong roster. The problem is that the only purpose of the roster is to make Cena look good. Cena IS WWE. That's the problem.

Most of those guys wouldn't even be able to hold Rocky and SCSA's jockstrap during the AE. The fact that you mentioned "WWE has the most technically impressive wrestler" tells me that you don't get it and why the stars in the AE were so huge.

Ithil

Most of those guys wouldn't even be able to hold Rocky and SCSA's jockstrap during the AE. The fact that you mentioned "WWE has the most technically impressive wrestler" tells me that you don't get it and why the stars in the AE were so huge.

Go down through every one of those and tell us why they can't be big stars.

remnant

Banned
So, if people shouldn't boo Cena, what should they do?

Like I said chant someone else. You can tell who is actually is as popular as Cena by how the crowd chants when that person fights Cena. When Orton fought him, he didn't get Cena Sucks. He got "let's go Orton." CM Punk didn't get Cena suck chants, Shawn Michaels didn't get Cena sucks chant.

Compare that to tonight. Did anyone get a crowd reaction besides Cena in that match?

Diablos54

I think you're the one who doesn't get it...

Ithil

Like I said chant someone else. You can tell who is actually is as popular as Cena by how the crowd chants when that person fights Cena. When Orton fought him, he didn't get Cena Sucks. He got "let's go Orton." CM Punk didn't get Cena suck chants, Shawn Michaels didn't get Cena sucks chant.

Compare that to tonight. Did anyone get a crowd reaction besides Cena in that match?

Jericho got a lot of cheers and some Y2J chants

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Lmao, no they didn't. I don't think people realize how over Cena is. Don't let the smart Chicago and NYC crowds from back then cloud your judgment.

Dude, that shit was on ESPN. I'd see random mentions of it pop up on sport message boards. I'd see people shout out "CM PUNK!" in random gaming sessionns on Steam. I saw grown men wearing CM Punk shirts in public walking down the street.

It could have made wrestling huge again. It really, really could have.

Ithil

Dude, that shit was on ESPN. I'd see random mentions of it pop up on sport message boards. I'd see people shout out "CM PUNK!" in random gaming sessionns on Steam. I saw grown men wearing CM Punk shirts in public walking down the street.

It could have made wrestling huge again. It really, really could have.

Cena's never, ever done anything of the sort. The only mainstream coverage he's ever gotten is Make A Wish shilling.

BS.

You can have all the talent in the world but when two complete idiots like Stephanie McMahon and HHH are running the show this is what you get on a weekly basis.

Very, very good post. Talent is not the problem. Scripted promos, no booking vision, and the protection of John Cena are the problem. Of course the little Jimmies like Cena, they like who they are told to like. Kofi, Bourne, Ziggler etc. Could all get little Jimmy followings if the WWE would give them a shot.

I think Punk was right on when he said Cena kisses Vince's ass more than Hogan did. Cena obviously knows how to play the politics in the back, it is the only reasonable explanation.

Go down through every one of those and tell us why they can't be big stars.

Why? Rock and SCSA were once in a gen type of stars. Everyone in high school was talking about them, they were massively over. Raw was getting Walking Dead/Jersey Shore-like ratings week after week, 52 weeks a year. Rock and SCSA had something special that none of those guys have. I don't even know why I have to explain this, you're all smarter than me.

Ithil

Why? Rock and SCSA were once in a gen type of stars. Everyone in high school was talking about them, they were massively over. Raw was getting Walking Dead/Jersey Shore-like ratings week after week, 52 weeks a year. Rock and SCSA had something special that none of those guys have. I don't even know why I have to explain this, you're all smarter than me.

You keep saying Austin/Rock had something special, etc. Go down through that list and tell me what each of those guys doesn't have, why are they not special?

I want you to support your claims beyond telling us that Austin/Rock were big stars. I know they were.

You keep saying Austin/Rock had something special, etc. Go down through that list and tell me what each of those guys doesn't have, why are they not special?

I want you to support your claims beyond telling us that Austin/Rock were big stars. I know they were.

I shouldn't have to explain to you or any other regular of Wrasslegaf why that list of names don't have what Rocky and SCSA had. Are you serious?

Wrestling in general is in decline, in the same way that certain types of TV shows and genres of movies are hot for several years and then fade away.
But shouldn't they be trying to do something different to get better? If this formula isn't working for them, then why keep doing it?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Heavy, if the PG route is the way to go for the WWE, how come almost everything is in decline?
PG isn't the problem, though. Things were as raunchy as ever in 2006 and 2007. Cena still sucked, he just made lame ass "you're gay" and "choke on my nuts" jokes. The product has been in decline due to lazy ass storylines, horrendous pacing, pushes that go nowhere. Things were very raunchy in 2002, and that was the worst the product ever was to me. Though, this is probably just as bad, and maybe even worse. Back then, at least, SD! was still pretty good, while HHH buried everyone on RAW.

I shouldn't have to explain to you or any other regular of Wrasslegaf why that list of names don't have what Rocky and SCSA had. Are you serious?
I think it is fair to say that no one is SCSA or Rock level on this roster, but if no one is ever allowed to run with the ball besides Cena how will we ever know? Hell, TNA let Roode run with the ball and he was fantastic, ratings werent great but he built a foundation that TNA hasnt had in a long time. You have to invest in guys to make them stars and WWE wont do it and it will come around and bite them in the ass, and soon.

SCSA was a WCW reject and look what he became. They let him cut promos without a script and shape his own character and look what happened. I mean seriously, he was the freaking Ringmaster and from that horrible wwe start he became a legend. I wish WWE would give the new guys the same chance they gave him.

PG isn't the problem, though. Things were as raunchy as ever in 2006 and 2007. Cena still sucked, he just made lame ass "you're gay" and "choke on my nuts" jokes. The product has been in decline due to lazy ass storylines, horrendous pacing, pushes that go nowhere. Things were very raunchy in 2002, and that was the worst the product ever was to me. Though, this is probably just as bad, and maybe even worse. Back then, at least, SD! was still pretty good, while HHH buried everyone on RAW.
I know that, but it was in response to him saying why we wonder why they're going PG.

Top Bottom