• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

Cagey

Banned
Just when I was enjoying some of the things on the show tonight...

Cause they got Oh Whey Oats jobbing to a dinosaur.

ibku3rePDckQOn.gif

krae_man

YOU WANT THE ROYAL RUMBLE FOR $9.99 A MONTH? YEAH? YOU DO?! OK. GO FUCK YOURSELF. THAT WON'T BE PART OF THE NETWORK PROGRAMMING. FUCK YOU.

Either Cranky Vince doesn't know how to add(9/12 is 75%), or WWE is going back up to 14/15 PPV's

somedevil

Either Cranky Vince doesn't know how to add(9/12 is 75%), or WWE is going back up to 14/15 PPV's

It sounds like to me the idea that was thrown around in the past. The big 4 you put on ppv and the rest of the pay per views you get free with the suscription. I think that is a fair deal.

Turok_TTZ

Raw finally was good. Brodus clay needs to get beat up though.
Definitely liked the ending. AJ is the winner, punk and bryan didnt know what hit them.

Jitters

Awww man, DDP didn't wrestle.

Oh ,and I must say I'm really happy there are so many AJ stalkers on here. I've been a fan of hers for some time, so when I was lurking, I was proud to see people equally as creepy as me.

Sometimes it feels like a curse to have witnessed the attitude era (especially during high school) the popularity of it, the quality of the games (aki), the awesome crowds, the great wrestlers, its just a moment in time I don't think wrestling will ever have again.

I find myself lost now, I don't care about any of the new guys, the games suck, the crowds are lame (aside from the lesnar return crowd, which was the best ive heard in years) , and there are so many more things now fighting for attention that the ratings wont be 10.0 combined ever again.

All I have are compilation dvds, legends roundtables, and shoot interviews :[

I wonder if AJ is bunk buddies with cena.

She is getting so much TV time. WWE wouldn't push a women like this unless she was in bed with someone with some power.

Last thing I'll say about AJ tonight, storylines like hers should be added to a feud where the guys arn't that great in the ring, or are lacking on the mic. Bryan and Punk are neither of these. What we are left with is a diva being put over as being more important then the WWE championship and two guys capable of putting on a match of the year. Classic overbooking of something that is easy as pie to book.

Kaladin

Complete details of the New Jack/Balls Mahoney incident from this weekend:

The week before the Extreme Rising events, Balls Mahoney was interviewed for a future DVD release, using the "n" word in describing New Jack. One person told me the line was that "Jack needed to stop acting like a n-word" and that the word was stated several times during the interview. Jack learned of the comments and made it clear to several that when he saw Balls at the show, there was going to be a problem.

About an hour before the show started, as Shane Douglas was taking part in a pre-show Q&A, Mahoney arrived backstage and entered a room that was being used for the roster to dress. New Jack was already in the room and was telling stories, cracking up those who were there.

The second Balls walked in, the locker room "went silent" as everyone knew there was an issue. As Mahoney was shaking hands, Jack attacked him and punched him. Jack nailed Balls "10-15 times" with hard punches. Mahoney hunched down in a protective stance and kept yelling for Jack to stop but never went down and never fought back. Three different people told me that Mahoney absorbed punches that probably would have knocked the average person out.

Jack then grabbed a machete out of his bag but before he could use it, Atlas Security (who were monitoring the fans in the Arena at the Q&A) had been alerted and charged the room, pulling the two apart. Mahoney protested to the locker room that he had been given permission by Jack to use the verbiage in the interview, swearing that it was true.

Balls, who was busted open and had swelling in his face, was removed from the locker room and placed in a room that was doubling as the company's official office. He dressed and remained there for the rest of the night.

There was no further incident between the two and the belief was that the issue had been settled.

WTF man....a machete?

Sometimes it feels like a curse to have witnessed the attitude era (especially during high school) the popularity of it, the quality of the games (aki), the awesome crowds, the great wrestlers, its just a moment in time I don't think wrestling will ever have again.

I find myself lost now, I don't care about any of the new guys, the games suck, the crowds are lame (aside from the lesnar return crowd, which was the best ive heard in years) , and there are so many more things now fighting for attention that the ratings wont be 12.0 combined.

I'm in the same boat as you man, it's depressing seeing how something that was a huge part of my life turn out this way.

I'm pretty much on a diet of compilation blu rays myself, the Falls count anywhere one is great so far.

Cagey

Banned
Last thing I'll say about AJ tonight, storylines like hers should be added to a feud where the guys arn't that great in the ring, or are lacking on the mic. Bryan and Punk are neither of these. What we are left with is a diva being put over as being more important then the WWE championship and two guys capable of putting on a match of the year. Classic overbooking of something that is easy as pie to book.

Everything you're saying is correct, yet it's enhancing the product because it's being executed so well, and, arguably, the angle is actually giving Punk/Bryan more time to stretch out their feud and continue a string of great PPV matches with the casual audience firmly aboard for the ride.

I find myself lost now, I don't care about any of the new guys, the games suck, the crowds are lame (aside from the lesnar return crowd, which was the best ive heard in years) , and there are so many more things now fighting for attention that the ratings wont be 10.0 combined.

Just cherish those memories and use them as fuel to keep watching until you've burned yourself out on The Product.

In the meantime TV as a whole is a million times better than it was during the Attitude Era so hurry up and fill that gap in your heart with any of the great options available.

Just cherish those memories and use them as fuel to keep watching until you've burned yourself out on The Product.

In the meantime TV as a whole is a million times better than it was during the Attitude Era so hurry up and fill that gap in your heart with any of the great options available.

I've pretty much burned out on the product, I stopped watching regularly back when HBK became JBLs man servant, or when Flair was leading into retirement (whichever was first). The think the invasion angle just soured me totally on the product, really the death of WCW (and competition) was the beginning of the end, sure they trotted out the stars in the forthcoming years (nWo, Flair, Goldberg, etc) but the stars they had built (Rock, Angle, Edge, Hardys, Lesnar) either became too injury prone, on drugs, greener pastures, dead, etc.

Randy Orton is a notch above Steve Blackman and Lance Storm as far as charisma goes imo, no matter how many times the WWE trys to tell me differently. Cena..., I get it, he's "Hogan" spot guy now, without Hogans drawing power, look, or presence.

Seriously the best thing I like about the WWE right now is: "Are You Serious?" #puppeth

BlazinAm

Shannon Moore has been released from TNA.

Its like all the pieces for a cruiserweight division for the wwe are falling into place.

I wonder if AJ is bunk buddies with cena.

She is getting so much TV time. WWE wouldn't push a women like this unless she was in bed with someone with some power.

That would be really sad if true, really says a lot about how Vince picks and chooses who will be on tv.

Everything you're saying is correct, yet it's enhancing the product because it's being executed so well, and, arguably, the angle is actually giving Punk/Bryan more time to stretch out their feud and continue a string of great PPV matches with the casual audience firmly aboard for the ride.

Has it been executed well though? What was all the stuff with Kane about? If she's truly "crazy" why does Kane saying "I need to stay away from you" stop her? That's very rational of the "crazy" woman leaving him alone like that after he asked nicely. What exactly is her and Punk's relationship? Is there one at all? Because Punk's character sure seems like he doesn't give a shit. What's Bryan's deal with her? The storyline was that he didn't give a crap about her, if that changed, why? I understand this might end-up being AJ working with Bryan all along, but that only serves to make Punk look like a complete idiot as they have shown nothing of him having any mutual feelings for her. Basically every guy who has been involved in this storyline has been made to look like a retard .

ive pretty much burned out on the product, I stopped watching regularly back when hbk became jbls man servant, or when flair was leading into retirement (whichever was first). The think the invasion angle just soured me totally on the product, really the death of wcw (and competition) was the begining of the end, sure they trotted out the stars in the forthcoming years (nwo, flair, goldberg, etc) but the stars they had built (rock, angle, edge, hardys, lesnar) either became too injury prone, on drugs, greener pastures, etc.

Randy Orton is a notch above Steve Black and Lance Storm as far as charisma goes imo, no matter how many times the wwe trys to tell me differently. Cena, I get it, hes "Hogan" spot guy now, without Hogans drawing power, look, or presence.

Seriously the best thing I like about the WWE right now is "Are You Serious?" #puppeth

Well I made it through the Invasion and for a split second in 2003 I thought I saw what the next generation of the WWE could become. Here we are 9 years later and it's an understatement to say it didn't turn out how I thought it would. I know how you feel and just use Raw as background noise to keep up with the nonsense in this thread, but I get my REAL wrestling fix from elsewhere.

BlazinAm

Well I made it through the Invasion and for a split second in 2003 I thought I saw what the next generation of the WWE could become. Here we are 9 years later and it's an understatement to say it didn't turn out how I thought it would. I know how how you feel and just use Raw as background noise to keep up with the nonsense in this thread, but I get my REAL wrestling fix from elsewhere.

May i ask, what did you see in the wwe in 2003? There were a lot of big ex WCW guys at the time and Angle v Lensar was a really good storyline but that was about it.

May i ask, what did you see in the wwe in 2003? There were a lot of big ex WCW guys at the time and Angle v Lensar was a really good storyline but that was about it.

Smackdown in 02-03 was very, very good. Everything Brock was a part of, the "Smackdown Six," Cena's rise, Taker being badass, etc. etc. I really enjoyed those years.

I find myself lost now, I don't care about any of the new guys, the games suck, the crowds are lame (aside from the lesnar return crowd, which was the best ive heard in years) , and there are so many more things now fighting for attention that the ratings wont be 10.0 combined ever again.

Wrestling is cylclical. We went from the primes of Hogan, Flair, LOD, Warrior, Andre, Piper, Snuka, Demolition, The Rockers, Steamboat, Rick Rude, Sting, Dynamite Kid ect into an era where it was Bret Hart, HBK and that is about it. Bret and HBK were two of the best of all time but they didnt have enough help booking wise or from the roster to carry the torch like the previous generation. Wrestling was dead and then WCW really shook things up and it caused WWE to change the game with the attitude era. ECW added to this with the type of product no one could even fathom at the time. We are in a similar spot right now. Cena and Punk cannot carry the company alone. Through lack of great talen and horrendus booking the WWE has found iself back in the early to mid 1990's all over again. What will make WWE and wrestling great again is competition and innovation. TNA is finally moving in a positive direction but they have a few things they have to do to really be a catalyst for change. TNA has the wrestling talent, they have some guys who can really work and, if used properly, can draw money. They have to get on the road and they need to spend what is necessary to really compete. The Carter family has the money, if they ever get serious about TNA it could really explode. The only way Vince will get really serious about the quality of he product is for another company to kick him in the balls again. DX and the attitude era would have never happened if Bischoff had not beaten Vince and then rubbed his face in it on a weekly basis. TNA needs to keep building and keep improving, Wrestling desperately needs Vince to have a competitor. The reason I say all this is because Wrestling IS cyclical. I think TNA will be ready soon to at least get Vince's attention and when it does the WWE product will improve. It is about time for Wrestling to become "cool" again and I for one believe that is coming in the next year or two if TNA continues to improve the product.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I assume it was the Punk/Cena conversation that is meant to be the first foreshadowing of their Summerslam program.

You know, as badly as they screwed up the aftermath last year, hearing Punk tell Cena that him winning the MITB match would mean "I guess it's just back to me and you, isn't it" gave me legit chills.

That Punk/Cena angle last year is basically why I'm even watching wrestling at all.

Cagey

Banned
You know, as badly as they screwed up the aftermath last year, hearing Punk tell Cena that him winning the MITB match would mean "I guess it's just back to me and you, isn't it" gave me legit chills.

That Punk/Cena angle last year is basically why I'm even watching wrestling at all.

Same. I started watching again when The Rock returned, out of curiosity for what would happen. Stuck around because Punk and psycho R-Truth intrigued me. Paid off with MITB. Watched at a bar, place went batshit crazy. Been back since.

Also, good looks on the Otunga avatar. I should start using mine again once he stops getting gangbanged by every midcard face on the roster at once.

Wrestling is cylclical. We went from the primes of Hogan, Flair, LOD, Warrior, Andre, Piper, Snuka, Demolition, The Rockers, Steamboat, Rick Rude, Sting, Dynamite Kid ect into an era where it was Bret Hart, HBK and that is about it. Bret and HBK were two of the best of all time but they didnt have enough help booking wise or from the roster to carry the torch like the previous generation. Wrestling was dead and then WCW really shook things up and it caused WWE to change the game with the attitude era. ECW added to this with the type of product no one could even fathom at the time. We are in a similar spot right now. Cena and Punk cannot carry the company alone. Through lack of great talen and horrendus booking the WWE has found iself back in the early to mid 1990's all over again. What will make WWE and wrestling great again is competition and innovation. TNA is finally moving in a positive direction but they have a few things they have to do to really be a catalyst for change. TNA has the wrestling talent, they have some guys who can really work and, if used properly, can draw money. They have to get on the road and they need to spend what is necessary to really compete. The Carter family has the money, if they ever get serious about TNA it could really explode. The only way Vince will get really serious about the quality of he product is for another company to kick him in the balls again. DX and the attitude era would have never happened if Bischoff had not beaten Vince and then rubbed his face in it on a weekly basis. TNA needs to keep building and keep improving, Wrestling desperately needs Vince to have a competitor. The reason I say all this is because Wrestling IS cyclical. I think TNA will be ready soon to at least get Vince's attention and when it does the WWE product will improve. It is about time for Wrestling to become "cool" again and I for one believe that is coming in the next year or two if TNA continues to improve the product.

I don't see it happening again. The world is a very different place in 2012, and the masses don't "buy" wrestling anymore. Lapsed fans come back once a year for Wrestlemania and don't bother with it for the rest for the year even when money making draws like The Rock and Brock Lesner are on PPV. The Attitude Era struck a chord because the WWF was capitalizing on (and along with Jerry Springer, revolutionizing) the rise of trash TV in the latter half of the 90's, but that's over with. Trash TV evolved into Reality TV and left wrestling in the dust. Now it's all about serialized dramas, comedies, and episodic sitcoms while wrestling is looked at as a product of the 90's.

I'd be AMAZED if there was ever another boom period in wrestling. I truly believe nothing short of a MAJOR shift in the way the product is presented would do that. It would have to be an even bigger change than the Attitude Era was to the WWF.

bangai-o

Banned

and ignore all the dumb crud that was on Raw a the time right? there was alot of it that no one is ever willing to remember. I was a big wCw fan but i remember sitting through some awful segments. same happened when i was forced to watch Raw.
if guys like Benoit and Angle werent around back then that id say the in ring wrestling ability of today completely and firmly slaps attitude era.

I don't see it happening again. The world is a very different place in 2012, and the masses don't "buy" wrestling anymore. Lapsed fans come back once a year for Wrestlemania and don't bother with it for the rest for the year even when money making draws like The Rock and Brock Lesner are on PPV. The Attitude Era struck a chord because the WWF was capitalizing on (and along with Jerry Springer, revolutionizing) the rise of trash TV in the latter half of the 90's, but that's over with. Trash TV evolved into Reality TV and left wrestling in the dust. Now it's all about serialized dramas, comedies, and episodic sitcoms while wrestling is looked at as a product of the 90's.

I'd be AMAZED if there was ever another boom period in wrestling. I truly believe nothing short of a MAJOR shift in the way the product is presented would do that. It would have to be an even bigger change than the Attitude Era was to the WWF.

This is why i've always said that as much as the hardcore fans hate it, going PG is probably the smartest thing the WWE could have done financially. Teenagers these days don't give a shit about wrestling the way they did in the late 90s. A few curse words and some "adult" story lines weren't going to change that.

The WWE is too big for it's own good. I hope sometime in the next few years, probably after the network fails, there will be a huge restructuring of the company, and everything will be scaled back. Size of the roster, wrestler salary, number of events, production costs, it's all too big for the current climate of wrestling. I don't think pro wrestling is going to die, I just think it's going to become smaller. Not ROH small, or even TNA small, but it won't be as big as it is now.

I wouldn't mind it at all if wrestling becomes less mainstream, because it will never be actual mainstream. They should just embrace the niche they are.

and ignore all the dumb crud that was on Raw a the time right? there was alot of it that no one is ever willing to remember. I was a big wCw fan but i remember sitting through some awful segments. same happened when i was forced to watch Raw.
if guys like Benoit and Angle werent around back then that id say the in ring wrestling ability of today completely and firmly slaps attitude era.
There was a lot of dumb stuff but he payoffs were so good back then. Austin driving random vehicles to destroy heels, Rock verbally abusing Show and Booker T, Jericho comedy segments, Undertaker crucifying Austin, Shane risking his health for a crazy spot, Godfathers local srippers, Sable's handprints. They had so many hings back then to keep you tuned in. Of course there was crap stuff but there always seemed to be something each week to look forward to. Now the big storyline is Cena faces long odds, wins anyway. Cena loses but not clean, Cena is still the main event. I remember when a "new" guy would debut back then, Jericho interrupting the Rock, Big Show crawling through the ring, Radicalz coming from the crowd and destroying the new age outlaws, Nash and Hall taking over Nitro, Tazz debut at MSG. Now our big debuts the last few years have been Albert dressed as a fat ninja, a dancing fat dinosaur, a mexican million dollar man wannabe, a fake Goldberg who has not wrestled a real opponent yet, a luchador with no face and the "nexus" a collection of Cena Chow that wore shitty armbands and the minute one guy got a little non PG they fired him for three months. Like you said, the attitude era had some bad segmens and some bad matches, but he good so far outweighed the bad unlike wrestling in its current form.

This is why i've always said that as much as the hardcore fans hate it, going PG is probably the smartest thing the WWE could have done financially. Teenagers these days don't give a shit about wrestling the way they did in the late 90s. A few curse words and some "adult" story lines weren't going to change that.

The issue was never the rating. Aside from public interest fading, and stars leaving/retiring, the biggest issue has always been quality. The show's simply not quality entertainment, and PG has nothing to do with that. There are lots of animated shows aimed at a young audience that are 100x smarter and better written than the WWE. That's the issue. Basic storytelling rules are completely absent in the product, and not in a avant garde kind of way, just in a "low quality writing" kind of way.

The issue was never the rating. Aside from public interest fading, and stars leaving/retiring, the biggest issue has always been quality. The show's simply not quality entertainment, and PG has nothing to do with that. There are lots of animated shows aimed at a young audience that are 100x smarter and better written than the WWE. That's the issue. Basic storytelling rules are completely absent in the product, and not in a avant garde kind of way, just in a "low quality writing" kind of way.

100% spot-on

Cagey

Banned

Instead of Regular Show being but one 15 minute TV show on a network with countless options, the WWE is an entire publicly traded behemoth built around (in essence) one product for television.

I think that saps a lot of the room for boldness, creativity, long-term planning, etc.

Top Bottom