• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin |OT| The Game, The Kane, The Pain, and The Insane (AJ)

Cagey

Banned
If Kane baked a cake, would you guys eat it?

Yes.

DD16PK.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The issue was never the rating. Aside from public interest fading, and stars leaving/retiring, the biggest issue has always been quality. The show's simply not quality entertainment, and PG has nothing to do with that. There are lots of animated shows aimed at a young audience that are 100x smarter and better written than the WWE. That's the issue. Basic storytelling rules are completely absent in the product, and not in a avant garde kind of way, just in a "low quality writing" kind of way.
Absolutely spot on. The pacing is off, storylines tend to never have a good ending (which is the most important part, imo), the wrestling is mostly subpar, the show is nothing but filler. It's the only show that I routinely watch that I actively dissuade others from watching.

Instead of Regular Show being but one 15 minute TV show on a network with countless options, the WWE is an entire publicly traded behemoth built around (in essence) one product for television.

I think that saps a lot of the room for boldness, creativity, long-term planning, etc.

They can be bold, creative, and have long-term plans even with all of their shareholder obligations and whatnot, I don't believe that's the issue at all. It comes down who's in charge, how that person chooses to run the show, and who's being hired to help the person in charge run that show. Vince has LOST IT, plain and simple. Not just his mind, but that spark which led to great angles of the Attitude Era. He's lost touch with what's happening in pop culture, what's happening in film, what's happening in television, what's happening in combat sports, and, most importantly, what's happened to wrestling on the indy scene. He has no focus and changes his mind so much it's a wonder they can put shows on TV at all.

Then there's the matter of 50 sub-par Hollywood writers helping put shows together who don't really have that much input anyway since Vin Man has lost perspective and can't take a step back to see what's best. Driving away talented bookers, constantly forgetting entire DIVISIONS at the drop of a hat, not knowing what direction the show as a whole is aiming for, having no real plans concerning which wrestler is hired and why, and every other weird idiosyncrasy that makes up Vince McMahon.

The root of the problem is Vince & The Creative Crew™.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
They can be bold, creative, and have long-term plans even with all of their shareholder obligations and whatnot, I don't believe that's the issue at all. It comes down who's in charge, how that person chooses to run the show, and who's being hired to help the person in charge run that show. Vince has LOST IT, plain and simple. Not just his mind, but that spark which led to great angles of the Attitude Era. He's lost touch with what's happening in pop culture, what's happening in film, what's happening in television, what's happening in combat sports, and, most importantly, what's happened to wrestling on the indy scene. He has no focus and changes his mind so much it's a wonder they can put shows on TV at all.

Then there's the matter of 50 sub-par Hollywood writers helping put shows together who don't really have that much input anyway since Vin Man has lost perspective and can't take a step back to see what's best. Driving away talented bookers, constantly forgetting entire DIVISIONS at the drop of a hat, not knowing what direction the show as a whole is aiming for, having no real plans when concerning which wrestler is hired and why, and every other weird idiosyncrasy that makes up Vince McMahon.

It's the lack of any consistent vision, which is my problem. Pushes end abruptly, guys get going, then get dropped. Sorylines are going well, then just end. The viewer has been burned so many times before that they stop investing anything into the new guys.

I'm fully convinced that they came up with the WWE title MITB ladder match that same fucking day. No other way could they justify kicking Kane out of the AJ storyline, when he was so heavily involved the previous week. The constant and random directions of storylines, and the lack of any consistent vision just kill the product.

Big Show is getting built up right now, but we don't buy it. Why? Because it's been done before and we know it'll go nowhere. That level of randomness is just terrible to a viewer.

G-Fex

This night hasn't gone too great. I think I have some things to think over.

Even Raw sucked in perspective. Except for DDP and maybe AJ.

Ah well, at least girls gymnastics will cheer me up.

McNei1y

You playing some more smackdown tomorrow?

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Here's a picture of Cool Ass Kane to make you feel better.

tumblr_m6f8pqfZU61r8fjfwo1_400.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Probably not unless you guys want it.

I have to rethink over some of the things I'm doing.
Like I said, it's probably best to go back to WWE 12. HCTP has better gameplay, but no one is actually playing the game here. It's presentation that counts, and unfortunately, HCTP can't compete in that regard.

UberTag

the signs in the crowd tonight were better than the actual show :x
The people in the crowd spend more time and care when crafting their signs than Vince and the Creative stooges of the day do when writing for RAW.
And even if someone in the back DOES care about a specific angle, it will all be destroyed in a couple weeks when RAW is rewritten for the 6th time that week.
Does it matter why AJ is doing what she's doing or her what her agenda is? No, because that reason will change several times between now and next Monday.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since WWE's bad booking has decided AJ is more important than the title, how much longer before Cena decides he wants that as well?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Since WWE's bad booking has decided AJ is more important than the title, how much longer before Cena decides he wants that as well?

That is a dumb thing to say because AJ is part of the title feud.

This is also the first time in a while that the show ended with something regarding the WWE title feud instead of John Cena's Personal Problems of the Week.

Complete details of the New Jack/Balls Mahoney incident from this weekend:

WTF man....a machete?
New Jack will probably end up killing someone in the ring if he doesn't retire soon.

Then there's the matter of 50 sub-par Hollywood writers helping put shows together who don't really have that much input anyway since Vin Man has lost perspective and can't take a step back to see what's best. Driving away talented bookers, constantly forgetting entire DIVISIONS at the drop of a hat, not knowing what direction the show as a whole is aiming for, having no real plans when concerning which wrestler is hired and why, and every other weird idiosyncrasy that makes up Vince McMahon.

Well put. There have been problems with the company outside of creative's decisions, but said decisions just makes things far more frustrating to watch. And it's not just the big things, like the last-minute angle rewrites or the build-up (or lack thereof) from PPV to PPV. It's the little things - the lack of attention to detail, the way that wrestlers get held back or stalled out because of petty backstage stuff, etc. - that's frustrating, since that could easily be dealt with if they'd bother to do so. I feel that stuff like that makes the shows just as hard to watch as the bigger gaffes, since the small stuff always puts a damper on watching the show as it happens unless you can shut them out of your head (which gets harder and harder every week) and the big stuff undermines the shows in retrospect.

I love seeing all the Cena kiddies on Twitter accusing DDP of "stealing the RKO".

Well, what can I say? They picked some other loser.

So, catching up on RAW - as far as I can tell, CM Punk's face persona is just him being a bit of a dick. He never has anything interesting to say any more.

Jericho and his catchphrase trolling was awesome though.

G-Fex

So, catching up on RAW - as far as I can tell, CM Punk's face persona is just him being a bit of a dick. He never has anything interesting to say any more.

Jericho and his catchphrase trolling was awesome though.

A tiny bit of his real personality I'm sure.

He was on the phone. She could've afforded to wait a few minutes.

They've been showing him on the phone for the past 2 weeks they are probably gonna have him talking to Lita or something on the phone and end this AJ stuff so they can clear the way for JOOOOAAAAAHHHHHNNNN CEEEEEEENNNNNAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Top Bottom