• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Kaladin

Real Talk,

NXT is the perfect place for Eva Marie if she ever wants to prove herself as a wrestler. Of course that crowd is going to know who she is and boo the crap out of her. If she can ever win them over, it will be the highlight of her career.

Kaiterra

Banned
  • Batista, Summerslam 2008
  • Daniel Bryan, Summerslam 2013
  • Brock Lesnar, Summerslam 2014

If you want to beat this guy, your best odds are to angle for a match at Summerslam. Bad guys take note!

The Final Fantasy series lost me after it strapped a rocket to Lightning and gave her a John Cena level mega push while deciding to wait over an entire fucking console generation to announce Kingdom Hearts 3.

But all the FFXIII games were great. :(

Too many of them talk too much! There was a southpark many seasons ago about wrasslin', and it mocked how everyone got into lengthy promos. The wrasslin' people loved on southpark were these awful long winded monologues, soliloquies, and such from the satirical superstars.

Even Steve Austin brought this up on his podcast. Too much talk, and not enough action. Look at this past week's last two minutes of the Austin-Heyman segment to do a promo. All the current guys should take note.

One of my favorite points that Brandon Stroud brings up repeatedly is that you can fit an entire sitcom episode that tells a story from start to finish and accomplishes a whole lot more character development in the running time of a typical Raw opening promo. This is a big thing that they should be trying to improve upon by hiring TV writers.

Kaladin

The great thing about John Cena is he can work with almost anyone and make them look like a million bucks until he beats them clean to end the feud.

Think about it. Most anyone he works with looks like a star during their feud.

How many people had their most memorable runs against Cena?

He does his job to make anyone look like a credible opponent against him.

I'm not saying anything about what happens after, but while he works with someone, he gives them a feud that ultimately turns out to be a high watermark in their career.

On the split side of that, if you absolutely suck, Cena can't and won't do you any favors and the feud will just flat out suck.

klonere

Banned
The great thing about John Cena is he can work with almost anyone and make them look like a million bucks until he beats them clean to end the feud.

Think about it. Most anyone he works with looks like a star during their feud.

How many people had their most memorable runs against Cena?

He does his job to make anyone look like a credible opponent against him.

I'm not saying anything about what happens after, but while he works with someone, he gives them a feud that ultimately turns out to be a high watermark in their career.

On the split side of that, if you absolutely suck, Cena can't and won't do you any favors and the feud will just flat out suck.

I'm going to be sad when Rusev can't power through his post Cena slump

dream

In all seriousness, Verendus was probably the most famous ring rat about a decade ago, especially in the Montreal circles.

Cpi1tril.png

Heel

Can't argue against the merits of John Sina when he made people believe a complete Joe like Kevin Steen has a bright future. He didn't even pin him.

Fox318

Does Samoa Joe doing good shirt sales prove that guys don't need to change their name or gimmick upon signing to the WWE?

Looking back did the Usos need to be called the usos?

Of course feuding with Cena will be the career highpoint when they do nothing else afterward.

Exactly. The problem is that Vince has, historically, had tunnel-vision was concerned, and people were made stars to get to the level where they could keep Cena just fresh enough to still be a draw, then discarded to significantly less important midcard feuds and stoylines.

That's why his placement in the midcard right now works so well - he can beat people without it feeling like they've had their chances at the big time gutted. That's the real problem of having one guy perpetually at the top of your card - nobody has anywhere to go when they lose to him, so it's always just months or years of water-treading until they reignite the rivalry.

Also, hate to say it, but Rusev got injured at just the right time. If he made a return to save Lana from, I dunno, Kevin Owens or Kane, and delivered a heartfelt apology, he could be a MASSIVE face for a good long time.

Is it wrong to want the Young Bucks in WWE just to see them get squashed by Triple H and fired immediately afterwards? Because I'm not seeing a downside.

Kaiterra

Banned
Even lighting return?

Lightning Returns' story was hot garbage (except probably the Noel/Caius/Yeul parts and the general concept of the world itself which was cool) but yes, I really enjoyed that game.

Does Samoa Joe doing good shirt sales prove that guys don't need to change their name or gimmick upon signing to the WWE?

Looking back did the Usos need to be called the usos?

I don't see what merch sales have to do with the reason they make people change their names at all. 9 times out of 10 it's just so they own the name.

I guess what it would have to do with merch sales is it would allow them the exclusive rights to sell merch with that name after that wrestler leaves.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not good enough for me to play it for more than 20 minutes and get bored. Supposedly they were going for a Kingdom Hearts battle feel (good) and instead ended up with a wonky as fuck FF12-like thing (which makes it sound better than it was, because FF12 was great).

Noctis has a billion different flippy-shit moves and the way you end up performing them are all totally unintuitive ways.
Yeah it really seemed like a sloppy system, they should've just said fuck it and went full KH.
FF hasn't been really good in almost a decade, so I am not hopeful for 15.
XIV is excellent, but otherwise I agree.
Pretty hyped for Hannibal tonight friends, don't know how many of you watch it.
I'm in there.
Is it wrong to want the Young Bucks in WWE just to see them get squashed by Triple H and fired immediately afterwards? Because I'm not seeing a downside.
So long as they get put in a box and shipped out, in all reality they'd probably become the new J&J those fucking frick bucks.

This is the best fantasy booking this month.

After all I always enjoyed the time he buried London and Kendrick, this seems like a better version of that.

somedevil

Here is Meltzer's ratings for Elimination Chamber:

Stardust Def. (Pin) Zack Ryder **¼
Big E (C) & Kofi Kingston (C) & Xavier Woods (C) Def. (Pin) Cesaro & Tyson Kidd, Darren Young & Titus O'Neil, Diego & Fernando, Kalisto & Sin Cara, Konnor & Viktor 23:40 "Elimination Chamber" (Tag) WWE Tag Team Championship
***¼
Nikki Bella (C) & Nikki Bella (C) Def. (Pin) Naomi, Naomi, Paige, Paige 06:05 Triple-Threat WWE Divas Championship *
Kevin Owens Def. (Pin) John Cena 19:56 ****½
Neville Def. (Pin) Bo Dallas 08:54 **¾
Ryback Def. (Pin) Bad News Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, Mark Henry, Ryback, Sheamus 25:12 "Elimination Chamber" WWE Intercontinental Championship
(Title Change) **½
Dean Ambrose Def. (DQ) Seth Rollins (C) 21:49 WWE World Heavyweight Championship ****

Cena vs Owens the sequel has a lot to live up too.

Kaladin

Here is Meltzer's ratings for Elimination Chamber:

Cena vs Owens the sequel has a lot to live up too.

I'd like to know his thoughts on why it didn't go the extra mile to make it a full 5 star match.

Owens vs Cena was the perfect main roster debut. You couldn't ask for better.

I'm a little disappointed that Owen's didn't use his open with walking around the ring strategy. Maybe he'll add that to the second match to psyche out Cena?

How was WWE okay with Owens seriously exposing the lack of offense Cena has? I know Cena's lack of offense is a known commodity, but they let Owens open up a clinic on offense.

RP912

Banned
I'm a little disappointed that Owen's didn't use his open with walking around the ring strategy. Maybe he'll add that to the second match to psyche out Cena?

How was WWE okay with Owens seriously exposing the lack of offense Cena has? I know Cena's lack of offense is a known commodity, but they let Owens open up a clinic on offense.

Creating that "Cena has a weakness" storyline...

dream

I'd like to know his thoughts on why it didn't go the extra mile to make it a full 5 star match.

Owens vs Cena was the perfect main roster debut. You couldn't ask for better.

Well here's his recap of the match:

NXT champion Kevin Owens pinned U.S. champion John Cena in 20:42 of match with neither title at stake. John Layfield kept comparing this match with Joe Namath (it was his 72nd birthday) predicting the Jets would beat the Chiefs (it was the then Baltimore Colts, but minutes later someone did correct him on what was one of the most famous football games ever played) and Babe Ruth calling his shot. Please don't ask me to explain what either had to do with this. I mean, every single person that cuts a promo vows they are going to win. I guess the idea that the AFL was the smaller league and NXT is the smaller promotion or something. There were some "NXT" chants. Crowd heat was good early. It was mostly a series of near falls. Owens used the pop up power bomb and Cena kicked out. Given that Cena was losing to that move later, I can get the mentality of the spot, but to me, in Owens' first match, I'd be strong on protecting his finisher, really, for months or longer, with the idea of creating a big moment when a guy kicks out for the first time. Here, he did, and it was a nice spot for a small percentage of the audience but for most it didn't mean much and it could have been avoided without hurting the match one iota. Owens missed a moonsault. Owens kicked out of the first Attitude Adjustment. Cena got Owens in the STF and pulled him to the middle of the ring. Owens kicked Cena off him and then hit Cena's Attitude Adjustment on him for a near fall. Cena did a leg slice off the top rope for a near fall. Owens did a package side slam since the package piledriver wouldn't be allowed in WWE. They traded punches. Cena hit the springboard stunner for a near fall. Owens used a fisherman buster off the middle rope for a near fall as well as a swanton for a near fall. Owens finally got the pin after a pop up power bomb. The match finish worked. Very few were expecting Owens to win, and even fewer expected it would be clean in the middle with his move. So they made a superstar in one night, which is hilarious because for years people in the company have claimed it takes 18 months minimum to do so. Crowd was really hot for the match. Cena rolled out of the ring to leave the stage to Owens, who said that now everybody knows who Kevin Owens is, and told Cena he has some veteran advice, that it's time for Cena to go, because his time is up and my time is now. Cena was praised for how unselfish he was in putting Owens over in this manner with no dispute, and then letting Owens make fun of his catch phrase at the end. ****½

I'm really surprised he liked it so much. I thought it was a terrible match. I can understand why you guys liked it all so much, because you're all gullible and were hoodwinked by seeing Cena lose, but I expect better from Dave.

Alucard

Banned
So, will we see the typical 50/50 and then maybe 75/25 Cena booking scenario over the coming months, or will they properly put Owens over?

So Cena will magically gain an offensive arsenal to take down Owens? It fits Vince's fascination with Cena overcoming the odds and all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Faces in general in WWE have no offense. They just get hit by the heels repeatedly whether clean or dirty until they can start spamming Limit Breaks.

Much has changed since the mid 90s to early 200s, hasn't it?

Tomorrow I have a free day. Are there any PPVs worth watching in whole? I stopped watching at X7 due to the ridiculous Austin heel turn. I then stopped until I heard about WWE buying WCW and then lost interest after the failed Invasion PPV.

Should I catch up on classic PPVs or find some gems during my hiatus?

dream

I think you should go out and live life instead of watching professional wrestling, Leeroy3101. The world is beautiful.

I forgot Ryback was the IC champ, but the belt did look good on him on Monday. I see nothing but disaster with this feud with Big Show though. I don't think Ryback can pull off a MOTN like Roman did with Big Show.

RP912

Banned
I'm probably one of the only people that actually liked the Austin heel turn in WM17. It felt so left field and random as fuck to realize how silly the booking was...

I'm probably one of the only people that actually liked the Austin heel turn in WM17. It felt so left field and random as fuck to realize how silly the booking was...

I'm always down for a heel turn, but it made little sense for him to team up with McMahon. I know that from Austin's standpoint he was willing to do whatever it took to get the title, but it made little sense for McMahon to want to join him, and even less sense for HHH to join them (and play second fiddle to a guy he just beat in a brutal match).

Top Bottom