• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Past

Just watched Superstars
on fast foward
expecting to see Samoa Joe and all I got was 45 minutes of RAW recaps and two meaningless tag team matches. What's the point of this show?

Fox318

Just watched Superstars
on fast foward
expecting to see Samoa Joe and all I got was 45 minutes of RAW recaps and two meaningless tag team matches. What's the point of this show?

international syndication rights.

Networks want content and I'm sure Superstars and Main Event is cheap.

Ultratech

If you go to the Alamo Drafthouse ordering food and beer is part of the experience!

True. We have a Movie Tavern around here which is sorta similar, though the food is probably on par with what you'd pay for at a restaurant.

But as for myself, I typically eat before/after going to the movies. Stuff's expensive.

I'm not saying, but it could've been a win-win - the WWE could've had the star of the #1 movie of the year as their champion instead of a cripple who looks like a baseball player's little buddy and they've could put Bray over Brie's husband instead of having him stuck in the Cena feud.

Too bad bro. Now we've got the beardy cripple shagging his wife at home, the beardy cultist making Reigns looks strong, and the supporting actor in the #1 movie of the year playing a Bond henchman.

Batista-gif-001.gif

Also Bray went over Bryan, dunno what the hell you're talking about.

AJ Styles said:
I think that there's definitely an opening, it's just finding an opening in the schedule. That's the biggest problem we've come across is my schedule is so full that it's hard to fit me in. That's the problem we're having right now. I always stay busy but I'd say it's only a matter of time before I show up in Global Force.

goddamn and he still won't return tna's calls too :jnc

I'm not saying, but it could've been a win-win - the WWE could've had the star of the #1 movie of the year as their champion instead of a cripple who looks like a baseball player's little buddy and they've could put Bray over Brie's husband instead of having him stuck in the Cena feud.

True, but that Batista-Orton match, with that crowd, would have been an absolute disaster on the level of Brock-Goldberg.

Edit: Guys, his point is that if Bray had gotten into a 3-month storyline with Bryan, he would have avoided the Cena feud AND come out hot from WM XXX after his victory over Bryan.

It doesn't matter who won Bryan/Wyatt or how long it went on or even if Wyatt feuded with Cena or not because inevitably WWE booking was going to fuck up everything and Bray was going to end up as just another face in the crowd like he is now.

gurudyne

It doesn't matter who won Bryan/Wyatt or how long it went on or even if Wyatt feuded with Cena or not because inevitably WWE booking was going to fuck up everything and Bray was going to end up as just another face in the crowd like he is now.

It's true. One of WWE's biggest failures as an entertainment company for the past few years is its lack of quality creative direction. Makes it hard to get excited about pushes or storylines because it's rare for the company to take something good and contribute to it instead of running it into the ground, abandoning it outright or giving it their own godawful spin.

dream

I was actually talking to my good friend Hayley Williams about fan cruises a few months back. She mentioned that her band, Paramore, did one, and it's a really great racket because you make so much money for a minimum of work. I can see this working very well for WWE.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was actually talking to my good friend Hayley Williams about fan cruises a few months back. She mentioned that her band, Paramore, did one, and it's a really great racket because you make so much money for a minimum of work. I can see this working very well for WWE.

How's New Found Glory doing?

zychi

Banned
Was NXT good this week? Had the ending spoiled for me because of reddit, gonna have it on in the background while I do some work

Alucard

Banned
What have you guys been reading lately? I recently finished The Running Man by Stephen King and Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Liked the former, loved the latter. Gaiman has me in a fantasy mood, so I've moved on to The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. First Brooks novel ever. So far, so typical, but enjoyable.

What have you guys been reading lately? I recently finished The Running Man by Stephen King and Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Liked the former, loved the latter. Gaiman has me in a fantasy mood, so I've moved on to The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. First Brooks novel ever. So far, so typical, but enjoyable.

i've been reading gaf

This new Chrome mobile browser update is great:

kYkIHox.jpg

It's like my Dictionary extension for desktop Chrome but on PEDs. Now I can easily follow all the esoteric wrestle talk that Bootaaay and Data West post about.

zychi

Banned
Wow, they booed the shit out of Eva Marie.

e: Carmella has the worst theme music I have ever heard. Shitty Iggy Azela ripoff

Just finished The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington by Jennet Conant.

Pretty awesome.

Has WWE still not signed Leva Bates to a full-time NXT contract?

Nope. But they like her a lot down there.

Nope, and I don't know why she'd want to, considering her entire gimmick is the color of her tights.

Nah. They really like her work and her selling and there's way more to her being over with the NXT crowd than the tights. She's become a good worker.

(which, btw, is an X-Men uniform, and was the only costume of hers that she could wear that wouldn't cause copyright issues.)

Nah, she's got lots of costume pieces that would cause no trouble. In fact, after she wore it on TV she thought she was going to be in trouble, because some Marvel guys working on one of the X-Men books noticed it right away and everybody in the offices was watching it, but they gave her their blessing. The blue pants thing was just a happy accident.

But she also is big in the Hollywood stunt community, where she probably makes way more money.

Nope.

gurudyne

Been in a comic kick lately, so Sandman spinoff Lucifer and Image Comics' Chew, Sex Criminals and Saga. All good stuff. Remender's Low however is garbage. Incomprehensible art work and a main character that's more a therapy session about the importance of positive thinking than she is a real character. Which according to his forward is literally the case.

Trying to find a good book on the political precursors to World War I if anyone has any suggestions.

Trying to find a good book on the political precursors to World War I if anyone has any suggestions.

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark is essential reading on the subject. Great book.

EDIT: After reading The Sleepwalkers, (which was sometime in Summer 2014) I read an old Sunday Times review of the book which has piqued my interest in another book on the same subject, July 1914 by Sean McMeekin, but I still haven't gotten a copy yet. Here's the review: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/books/review/the-sleepwalkers-and-july-1914.html?_r=0

gurudyne

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark is essential reading on the subject. Great book.

EDIT: After reading The Sleepwalkers, (which was sometime in Summer 2014) I read an old Sunday Times review of the book which has piqued my interest in another book on the same subject, July 1914 by Sean McMeekin, but I still haven't gotten a copy yet. Here's the review: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/books/review/the-sleepwalkers-and-july-1914.html?_r=0

Exactly the kinds of things I'm looking for. Thanks!

Victory: The Triumphant Gay Revolution by Linda Hirshman, and Your Movie Sucks by Roger Ebert

Kaiterra

Banned

Cena-Parks.jpg

Yeah! Imagine that!

Just saw the Iron Sheik documentary - really well done I thought. Would definitely recommend to this anyone in this little corner of GAF.

Day 1 of the PROGRESS Super Strong Style 16 tournament is up to view on demandprogress.pivotshare.com (purchase to download for $12.99, or stream with a $7.40 per month subscription).

PROGRESS, "CHAPTER 19: SUPER STRONG STYLE 16", 2015/05/24
The Electric Ballroom, Camden
700 Fans

1. SSS16 First Round: El Ligero vs Will Ospreay
2. SSS16 First Round: Jack Gallagher vs Mark Haskins
3. SSS16 First Round: Rampage Brown vs Big Daddy Walter
4. SSS16 First Round: Tommy End vs Roderick Strong
5. SSS16 First Round: Marty Scurll vs Eddie Dennis
6. SSS16 First Round: Dave Mastiff vs Noam Dar
7. SSS16 First Round: Tomasso Ciampa vs Damo O'Connor
8. SSS16 First Round: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Zack Gibson
9. The London Riots (James Davis & Rob Lynch) vs Regression (Jimmy Havoc & Paul Robinson)

How's that Brent Weeks book? I enjoyed the Night Angel trilogy, although it wasn't the best written fantasy series I've read. Haven't read any of the Lightbringer books, though.

Just finished with these three;

nquGBXT.jpg
cMVyKVl.jpg
p3t3mCM.jpg

And now I'm starting this;

jgVzNTC.jpg

Kaladin

How's that Brent Weeks book? I enjoyed the Night Angel trilogy, although it wasn't the best written fantasy series I've read. Haven't read any of the Lightbringer books, though.

I haven't got to it yet but my fiance enjoyed it and recommended it. How is The Expanse? Leviathan Wakes has been on my list to read for ages.

Alucard

Banned
I haven't heard of any of the books you two have just posted, but I'm definitely intrigued. This is totally #geekGAF. There's a reason we found our way to a video game message board, I guess.

Kaladin

I haven't heard of any of the books you two have just posted, but I'm definitely intrigued. This is totally #geekGAF. There's a reason we found our way to a video game message board, I guess.

I've always got a good sci-fi or fantasy novel to read. My Kindle backlog rivals my Steam backlog. It doesn't help that I'm a slow reader.

Yeah, I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy fan - I guess a video game message board has a lot of crossover potential amongst the geekier fandoms.

How is The Expanse? Leviathan Wakes has been on my list to read for ages.

I've enjoyed the series a lot - just ignore the 'space opera' tagline it's often associated with, the series isn't some universe-spanning epic as that would suggest, but is more of a sci-fi action adventure with some big ideas and well written characters. Not at all surprised it's been picked up for TV, when reading it I thought it would be perfect for the screen.

Top Bottom