• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Alucard

Banned
I've always got a good sci-fi or fantasy novel to read. My Kindle backlog rivals my Steam backlog. It doesn't help that I'm a slow reader.

No judgment from me. I read the same. Add mysteries to the bunch, and you've got my three most-read genres.

Fave ten authors:

Isaac Asimov
Philip K. Dick
Arthur C. Clarke
C.S. Lewis
Douglas Adams
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Conan Doyle
George Orwell
Ray Bradbury
Kazuo Ishiguro

Browny

Banned
The Shannara books are great, you'll enjoy them - despite them being 'influenced' (cough) by Tolkien - much easier to read too.

Dan Abnett is a top author too - his GW books are top notch, especially the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. And if you want a slice of Mad Max style works, check out the original Dark Future books by Jack Yeovil (aka Kim Newman) - all brilliant too.

I've gone back to reading crime and caper books by Alistair McLean and Frederick Forsyth - makes a nice change from geekdom.

Just finished Henry James's The Turn of the Screw. Currently reading Kate Chopin's The Awakening. James S.A. Corey's next Expanse book is next.

I thought Leva Bates's blue pants ensemble was the Vault suit from Fallout.

RP912

Banned
No judgment from me. I read the same. Add mysteries to the bunch, and you've got my three most-read genres.

Fave ten authors:

Isaac Asimov
Philip K. Dick
Arthur C. Clarke
C.S. Lewis
Douglas Adams
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Conan Doyle
George Orwell
Ray Bradbury
Kazuo Ishiguro

MARTY_zpsza99gy1a.gif

You know what doesn't have books? The WWE Network, which is free for subscribers for the month of June! For the low, low price of $9.99 a month, you'll never need to read again!

Aiii

So not worth it
Just finished Henry James's The Turn of the Screw. Currently reading Kate Chopin's The Awakening. James S.A. Corey's next Expanse book is next.

I thought Leva Bates's blue pants ensemble was the Vault suit from Fallout.

Loving the new expanse book, 15 chapters in it's pretty interesting, you learn tons about the main crew in this one, which is great.

As for reading, I actually started doing audio books so I could combine my daily walks with something and that's been pretty nice. Started book one of Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns, which seems good as far as the world building goes in the first few chapters. Interrupted it for Nemesis Games, but will go back to it soon.

Kaladin

Loving the new expanse book, 15 chapters in it's pretty interesting, you learn tons about the main crew in this one, which is great.

As for reading, I actually started doing audio books so I could combine my daily walks with something and that's been pretty nice.

Digging audible so far? I enjoy it because it allows me to switch between audio and kindle. I often end up reading the kindle version at work on the desktop and switch to audio in the car or at home. Love that it keeps my place too.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, it's a good app, rewind option is nice, chapter division is great. Works a lot better than listening through a Google Play app, which sometimes forgets where I was and finding back your place is a bitch.

Kaladin

Friends.

Consider yourself lucky if you live in an apartment or in some other place where you don't have a yard to mow. I job hard to that thing every two weeks.

TL21xx

Banned

Fave ten authors:

Isaac Asimov
Philip K. Dick
Arthur C. Clarke
C.S. Lewis
Douglas Adams
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Conan Doyle
George Orwell
Ray Bradbury
Kazuo Ishiguro

You have excellent taste Alucard. The only one of these I haven't read is Ishiguro, but I'be heard nothing but good things about his work. Will have to check him out.

klonere

Banned
Friends.

Consider yourself lucky if you live in an apartment or in some other place where you don't have a yard to mow. I job hard to that thing every two weeks.

I'm looking after my parents place this weekend and boy do I not miss mowing the two big lawns at the front and back of the house

My dad does now regret the egregious size of the garden because its completely unmanageable.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
So yesterday I decided to watch some ROH as I haven't seen an episode before. I've attempted to watch a few times months ago but couldn't due to various reasons. I didn't finish the episode I watched yesterday, but what I did see I liked. Some stuff I noticed:

The production values have improved dramatically since I last attempted to watch. The show is in HD now(I think? It's at least wide-screen) and they got a mini-tron. The tron videos are very basic, but I doubt they've had them for long so I won't complain. The one thing I will say, however, is that they need better lighting. The ring is lit perfectly, but that's about the only thing. The crowd looks way too dark and any time a wrestler goes outside of the ring they disappear for a second until the spotlight swings around to pick them up. I understand that this is more likely to be a problem with where they're taping, but it does bug me.

The matches were decent to good, nothing terrible or egregiously indie flippy dippy.

Storyline wise I was a bit lost, but the opening promo with the Briscoe Brothers made it clear who the heels were, even if I didn't get a chance to see that tag match between them and HoT. The one that REALLY confused me was Moose vs Colby Corino. I get that Corino is playing a young up and comer who has a terrible mentor, and props to the kid for making me feel really bad for him. But Moose's gimmick confuses me. It's clear the fans like him, but he wrestled with far more reckless abandon and viciousness than was necessary. I noticed that he had two people walking out with him (Veda Scott and the other guy who I regrettably forget his name.) Veda, the chick, was seemingly encouraging him to be more vicious and destructive, while the other guy seemed to want him to just end the match, with Moose listening to Veda over the other guy. Or that's how I saw it at least. If that's the gimmick and story they're going for than I can get behind it. But if not, then this match really made him look like a heel, which I'm not quite sure is what they were going for.

Overall, I'll probably finish the episode and if I get the chance I will at least attempt to watch more. Considering it's free on their website AND I have a local Sinclair station, I don't have that much excuse now do I?

Havok didn't delete her homophobic and racist tweets before the NXT tryout. That's probably the end of that and/or her TNA career. Idiot.

kiguel182

I don't want to sound like an ass but all of this off topic doesn't help this thread at all.

There are threads dedicated to books, movies and all sorts of things already.

It's this kind of insular behavior and off topic that we have talked about before.

It's almost as bad as gimmick posters.

I don't want to sound like an ass but all of this off topic doesn't help this thread at all.

It's this kind of insular behavior and off topic that we have talked about before.

Have you been in any other OTC thread

NFLGAF and LGBTGAF don't spend 24/7 in the thread talking about NFL and LGBT things. Same for AnimeGAF. Never once called out as insular or off topic. Because this is the Off Topic Community.

Hey this is my gimmick. Dammit.

kiguel182

Have you been in any other OTC thread

Yes I have. This one is by far the worst I've seen when it comes to this.

And Sunny had already warned us several times and that mods were looking at it. It's not just my complain.

I don't want to come here to beef with anyone and my complains are not just mine and are nothing new.

The other day Sunny was asking about what could be done so this thread could be more welcoming and generally better so take what I said as a suggestion and not an attack.

kiguel182

NFLGAF and LGBTGAF don't spend 24/7 in the thread talking about NFL and LGBT things. Same for AnimeGAF. Never once called out as insular or off topic. Because this is the Off Topic Community.

This is the off topic wrestling community. Not the off topic talk about whatever community.

I'm not the first calling this thread insular. At all. Because it is insular. And while some of it come off as jokes between members which it's normal in a small community others this looks like everything but a wrestling thread.

And, as Sunny said, other threads were accused of this and shut down. I don't remember specifics but it's nothing new.

Hey this is my gimmick. Dammit.

You have a cool gimmick at least.

kiguel182

But yeah, I spoke my peace and I'm not or wasn't expecting some sort of resolution or agreement.

I just think that if you have to shuffle throw "What are your favourite books" to get to the wrestling stuff it makes it hard to, you know, discuss wrestling or talk about it.

And then the thread gets to the same number of people going in a circle and makes it harder and harder to participate.

Some threads might work better like that but one where the topic is super specific I think suffers from it.

But I've been off-topic myself and thread fights are dumb so this is the last I'll say about it for now. (And I triple-posted because I'm a monster and I'm sorry for that),

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know what'll bring this thread back together? Next week's all new, all live episode of The Monday Night Raw Supershow, live next Monday Night!

kiguel182

There's something on netflix called Wrestling for Jesus The Tale of T-Money.

It's about a christian wrestling promotion.

It's probably amazing.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion

No_fun_allowed.jpg

/s

Does anyone actually enjoy Cheeseburger from ROH? After seeing him live last night I can't help but wonder why he gets a push. Also I am LEGITSHOOK that I enjoyed not 1 but 2 singles matches featuring members of the Kingdom not named Adam Cole last night. Matt Taven and Hanson had a great match and Dalton Castle and Michael freaking Bennett also had a great match.

Top Bottom