• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

RP912

Banned
It's ridiculous to think that this thread is off topic more than other Community threads. We're on topic almost the entire time, even on normal down days for NA wrestling someone is watching something old on the network/watching NJPW/watching whatever the fuck on Dailymotion/posting fave fives.

This...

Even when this community is off topic, it's only for a split second then it's back to wrestling. Hell some days I just want to talk about food and videos games instead of wrestling to be honest.

Anywho... I have yet to read the Gary Hart book, I have it but didn't put a dent into it. After I finish Titan Sinking, I'll give it a go.

Kurrigan is the most Vince guy ever

Read Kurrigan, but saw...

kurrgan-wwe-encyclopedia3522-1377820848.jpg

Eagerly anticipating Mark Henry hitting the World's Strongest Slam on Havok

Also Microsoft is using 3D puddles as a PR feature for Forza

Wtf

Kaiterra

Banned
It's ridiculous to think that this thread is off topic more than other Community threads. We're on topic almost the entire time, even on normal down days for NA wrestling someone is watching something old on the network/watching NJPW/watching whatever the fuck on Dailymotion/posting fave fives.

Who are your fave five Stars of Destiny?

JavyOO7

I still have tons of books to finish on my Paperwhite...

The Girl Who Would be King
StormKiller
Gone Girl
The Dinosaur Four
The Girl with all the Gifts
Sugar

No new wrestling books I've bought in a while though. I am reading 'Death of WCW' 10th anniversary edition again though. I'll probably stop once the book hits 1999 and on since its too depressing.

Oh yeah, someone mentioned 'Titan Sinking' earlier. At $4.99 its a good price and a quick read, you can probably read it in a day. I found it enjoyable.

If you don't want to buy Titan Sinking and you do have an Amazon account and a Kindle device, you can use Kindle Unlimited free trial and get the book since its available on Kindle Unlimited.

Justin Roberts said:
Hunter is portrayed as the savior of wrestling, and people think he'll save the business once he's in charge. We all thought that, too, until he started running things. Paul started overseeing a bunch of divisions and one of them was live events. When he took over, our live events schedule was brutal. We'd start in one place and flew all over. Since he used to be one of the boys on the road, we thought he'd stand up and stop that, and he didn't. The schedule got worse.

Hunter started squashing stuff that really started getting over. If you notice, it's all about the future, and the future is NXT. But focusing on the future shouldn't mean ignoring the present. Zack Ryder got over huge to the point to the point where the crowd was cheering for him at Madison Square Garden while The Rock was standing in the ring. Dolph Ziggler got over. Primo and Epico [now known as Los Matadores] are fantastic wrestlers, but they get lost in the shuffle. There is a glass ceiling, and anybody they don't want to get over is squashed despite the fans strongly getting behind them. Daniel Bryan is a rare exception, despite the company fighting it over and over.

Not surprising

gurudyne

Not surprising

I could believe it. Sounds like the way entertainment companies are run. New guys gets control of a division and all of the old guy's projects are quietly defunded, sidelined or run into the ground to a) make the new guy's projects look all the better and b) so the old guy can't claim credit for anything the division produces. Pragmatic approach to ego-driven politics, very carny.

Ultratech

Dead god I don't want to see Hogan at WM32.

Wait until 50 years from now when the cybernetic (and semi-holographic) corpse of Hogan is going at it with the likes of an aging cyborg John Cena at WrestleMania (*insert symbol here*).

I should put more thought into this...

Who are your fave five Stars of Destiny?

Sadly, I've never really played a Suikoden game to properly answer that question.
I did pick up the 2nd game in a PSN Flash Sale a few weeks back.

May play it after I finish with Tales of Graces f.

Alucard

Banned
Pretty sure I've only read three wrestling books: Bret Hart's, and Jericho's first two. Enjoyed all of them for different reasons, but my opinion of Jericho has changed quite a bit since he started his podcast...might end up just selling his books, though I could see myself reading the first one again.

Foley's first book is great stuff. The second one is alright but it's very much a book of its time as opposed to an all time great book.

Death of WCW is also highly entertaining.

TL21xx

Banned
Don't sell A Lions Tale, it is still a fantastic primer into the world of Pro-Wrestling at the time. I'm willing to say it's even better than Foley's book, which is fantastic. The second book is okay, but once Jericho stars writing about his band, eh...

None of his band stories are unique, they've all been told by other rockers before, and those guys all told them better. The problem is Jericho is enamored by the fact that he was able to live both his dreams, but the fact of the matter is that from an objective view, his rock career is tiny compared to his wrestling career. There are tons of bands out there enjoying the success Fozzy has undergone. That's not anywhere near as impressive from the outside looking in as being first Undisputed WWF World Heavyweight Champion against Rock and Austin.

But I get it. He's trying to not end up like Hogan and Bret. Unfortunately, I think by running in the exact opposite direction, he has made himself am example of why you shouldn't distance yourself too far from the business when you're not working. Contrary to appearances, Rock doesn't do that, and I think it's a major reason why he is the top box office draw right now.

Edit: Also, yes, Death of WCW is probably the GOAT because of the sheer lunacy of the situation. If I am stuck on a desert island with only one book, and it must be wrestling related, I gotta go with that one.

Zach

Why are the 1997 Raws not on WWE Network?

The greatest year in WWE history

Yes, why aren't the 1997 NITROS on the Network?

Foley's first book is great stuff. The second one is alright but it's very much a book of its time as opposed to an all time great book.

Death of WCW is also highly entertaining.

Listen to this guy. I've read Foley's first book and The Death of WCW and they're both a lot of fun. Very easy reads. Death gets a little number-y with ratings and attendance, but that's my only real complaint.

JavyOO7

There are some 1997 RAWs under 'Raw Replays' but not many. Then the last three RAWs of 1997 are under 'Raw Attitude Era'. The network team hasn't been uploading any 1997 RAWs though as of late... sucks.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - B-
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3: Triple Header - C+
In Your House 4: Great White North - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6: Rage in the Cage - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7: Good Friends, Better Enemies - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8: Beware of Dog - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9: International Incident - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10: Mind Games - C
In Your House 11: Buried Alive - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12: It's Time - C
Starrcade '96 - B-

Royal Rumble '97 - D+
In Your House 13: Final Four - C+
WrestleMania 13 - C
Barely Legal '97 - C-
In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker - C-
In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell - C
King of the Ring '97 - D+
In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede - B-
SummerSlam '97 - B
Hardcore Heaven '97 - C
Ground Zero: In Your House - D+
One Night Only - C
Badd Blood: In Your House - D+
Survivor Series '97 - C+
November to Remember '97 - C
That was the most ECW thing I've ever seen. I was entertained a lot, though, I must admit.

And is 1997 the peak of "_________ is gay/a fag"? I sure hope so. It is constant. Signs and chants everywhere.

Alucard

Banned
I'll have to pick up The Death of WCW at some point, especially with the revised edition now available. Have read nothing but good things, especially in regards to its entertainment value.

Top Bottom