• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MMAksana in 2015

11355703_1585707161702980_1081008490_n.jpg

The heavy ass bags under her eyes are oddly attractive to me.

JavyOO7

Poor Paul Roma... cannot get a decent reaction from the crowd. Crowd is only going crazy for his partner, Mr. Wonderful. Paul Roma did hit a sweet drop kick on Bagwell though! (Halloween Havok '94)

Kaladin

Was anyone watching Marcus Louis on NXT recently and thinking they should debut this guy on the main roster as Kane Jr.?

11391379_841180702598162_3233260196020931026_n.jpg

Is the old guy that does the introductions for the movies still around?

He is but in a reduced Undertaker like schedule. Sadly I missed the intro to Miami Connection and they don't show them on their VOD app for some stupid reason. I can sit through and watch any movie on that channel so long as I watch the introduction first.

Nope, no one from NOAH, no one from CMLL - just Elgin, as far as outsiders go. Here's the line-up, but the blocks haven't been announced yet;

. Okada
. Styles
. Goto
. Makabe
. Tenzan
. Tanahashi
. Nagata
. Kojima
. Naito
. Shibata
. Nakamua
. Yano
. Ishii
. Yujiro
. Anderson
. Gallows
. Fale
. Elgin
. Ibushi
. Honma

Eh, this kinda killed my excitement for the G1, when I heard this was going to be the biggest G1 in the history of NJPW I was expecting something else, not this. They traded Suzuki for Elgin, that is a total downgrade.

ghostmind

Eh, this kinda killed my excitement for the G1, when I heard this was going to be the biggest G1 in the history of NJPW I was expecting something else, not this. They traded Suzuki for Elgin, that is a total downgrade.

Yeah, this lineup is a disappointment for me too. I was thing/hoping that they were going to go all-out for the 25th, but this is totally playing it safe. The lack of Suzukigun, especially Suzuki, makes it inferior to G1 24 IMO.

ghostmind

I thought that NJPW had announced a while back that this G1 was going to be the most international ever? This is the opposite of that.

Is Bushiroad hard on cash, or are they putting the financial screws to NJPW, since they also have NOAH to worry about?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought that NJPW had announced a while back that this G1 was going to be the most international ever? This is the opposite of that.

Is Bushiroad hard on cash, or are they putting the financial screws to NJPW, since they also have NOAH to worry about?

It's very international.

Just look at all the American independent wrestler!

They said it would be the "biggest" G1 ever, which it is in terms of the number of dates they're running. Also, this isn't to do with Bushiroad not having the cash, there's little reason that they couldn't have brought in wrestlers from other Japanese promotions, the NWA or CMLL, it's just that they didn't want to. Business is up and this is their most ambitious G1 tournament in years, I guess they want to make it a success on the back of New Japan talent alone.

It's been pretty interesting to see the differences in reactions from the Japanese and international fans - more complaining on the international side, but both are disappointed that Suzuki's not in it. The Japanese fans know nothing about Elgin, but they also aren't writing him off. Lots of them disappointed by the lack of YOSHI-HASHI, though.

It's been pretty interesting to see the differences in reactions from the Japanese and international fans - more complaining on the international side, but both are disappointed that Suzuki's not in it. The Japanese fans know nothing about Elgin, but they also aren't writing him off. Lots of them disappointed by the lack of YOSHI-HASHI, though.

We all wanted AJ/Suzuki II.

I am only interested on seeing who Ibushi and AJ are going to face off this year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
why did kushida win bosj when he's one of the least popular juniors according to the polls? yoshi hashi and taguchi are way more popular
maybe naito will win the main title afterall
KuGsj.gif

Some fresh match-ups I'm hoping to see;

Naito vs Shibata
Honma vs Styles
Ibushi vs Tanahashi
Shibata vs Ibushi
Styles vs Nakamura

why did kushida win bosj when he's one of the least popular juniors according to the polls? yoshi hashi and taguchi are way more popular
maybe naito will win the main title afterall
KuGsj.gif

Didn't watch the finals then, I take it? KUSHIDA's been getting great reactions throughout the tour. Also, YOSHI's not a Jr. and Taguchi's old - the whole point of KUSHIDA winning it, as he outlined in his post-match comments, was that he wants to be the new face of the Jr's division. Whether it works is another matter, but they have to try and, besides, no one wants another Taguchi vs Omega feud.

Jamie OD

I don't know if it's them cutting back or them thinking they can do just as good with what they already got.

Business is up and this is their most ambitious G1 tournament in years, I guess they want to make it a success on the back of New Japan talent alone.

That should say a lot if this G1 is a big success. The roster should be given a lot of credit. Maybe even the booking if doing the same matches over and over is what the audience over there wants.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just rewatched Shibata vs Ishii from the 2013 G1...my god o_O

Aiii

So not worth it
Things I don't enjoy about ladder matches:
1. Positioning the ladder far to the side of the object so you can't ever reach it and then climbing the ladder (either for a bump, or just because it's not time to get the thing yet and fuck it, why pretend?)
2. Slowly climbing up the stairs, stopping 3 rungs short of the top and flailing your arms around as if you're trying to get the object instead of just walking the 2 or 3 extra steps because the guy that's interrupting your attempt isn't doing his thing yet.
3. Taking several minutes to position the ladder in the middle of the ring, looking up all the time to check if it's actually beneath the object. As if the ring is three miles wide and the thing hanging above it isn't EXACTLY in the middle of the ring.

These two things happen so many times nowadays and are completely idiotic to look at. I can handle slowly climbing, but only if you're pretending to be injured so you can't climb at a normal speed, but stopping short of the object or putting the ladder in a completely stupid place or not being able to figure out where the middle of the ring is, it's just stupid. STUPID.

Is MITB this week or next?

Jamie OD

1. Positioning the ladder far to the side of the object so you can't ever reach it and then climbing the ladder (either for a bump, or just because it's not time to get the thing yet and fuck it, why pretend?)
2. Slowly climbing up the stairs, stopping 3 rungs short of the top and flailing your arms around as if you're trying to get the object instead of just walking the 2 or 3 extra steps because the guy that's interrupting your attempt isn't doing his thing yet.
3. Taking several minutes to position the ladder in the middle of the ring, looking up all the time to check if it's actually beneath the object. As if the ring is three miles wide and the thing hanging above it isn't EXACTLY in the middle of the ring.

These two things happen so many times nowadays and are completely idiotic to look at. I can handle slowly climbing, but only if you're pretending to be injured so you can't climb at a normal speed, but stopping short of the object or putting the ladder in a completely stupid place or not being able to figure out where the middle of the ring is, it's just stupid. STUPID.

The only reason I accept 2) is because at least on the indies some rings may as well resemble trampolines so I don't blame the wrestler not wanting to foolishly lose balance and fall over as he climbs the ladder.

MITB is next Sunday.

Rewatching some forgettable MitB matches from years gone by and its funny how when going from the SD case match for 2011 to 2012 you go from moderately impressive spots from a competent Sin Cara in 2011 to the full blown botching machine in 2012.
And boy is that 2012 SD ladder match a mess, arguably the most jobberiffic lineup of them all and everyone is buggering up.
I guess Ziggler earns his win through his ability to crash and burn.

qOze0.gif

wxmOb.gif

And the classic
VOTWo.gif

Makes me wonder if any of the MitB matches from the namesake PPV have ever actually been truly strong matches on their own merits, I can think of maybe three that aren't quite as plodding or overly familiar.

Next week and all of these points were bugging the heck out of me watching those previously mentioned matches.
There's numerous points with Sheamus in 2011 where even the commentary team have to question why he's setting up ladders and just moseying around instead of trying to actually win.
Makes me appreciate the flow of the original MitB match all the more.

JavyOO7

This is why Ambrose/Rollins next week will suck. These two are much better without all the gimmick matches and just have them fight 1 on 1 no BS one more time. Their match last week was great too... /sad

gurudyne

These three things happen so many times nowadays and are completely idiotic to look at.

Agreed. These and setting up obvious spots (setting up the ladder horizontally between apron and the barricade, wedging the ladder between turnbuckles, setting up a ladder catapult) for several minutes instead of winning. Worse is when the wrestler finishes setting up the spot, the does nothing with it. And it's not always because someone got up and started hitting them--sometimes they'll finish the setup and walk away from their work altogether.

I've been fantasy booking each match for MitB and I'm curious on whether Owens should go over clean again or cheat.

I think a ref stoppage would be a great way for Owens to go over

also, why doesn't Owens go for the U.S. title? Realistically and for the sake of his gimmick, I'm sure that would provide more money for his family than a "developmental" title

Thorakai

This is why Ambrose/Rollins next week will suck. These two are much better without all the gimmick matches and just have them fight 1 on 1 no BS one more time. Their match last week was great too... /sad

I'm gonna trust the guys that made a lumberjack match entertaining as hell to do the same for a ladder match.

Top Bottom