• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

Proper hyped for the NWA Classics service - all the footage comes from arena shows for Paul Boesch's Houston promotion and the vast majority of it has never been seen before, so this is super exciting.

*edit, and regardless of how well this does, nothing will convince WWE to add more archive content as their numbers show that subscribers aren't watching it. To my mind that's a failure on WWE's part to properly utilise and package the footage at their disposal, but of course they see it as reason to dismiss the importance of archive footage outright.

I mean not letting him at least get one win. I know he's green, but he has potential to be the next best thing as time progress.

Oh yeah, I think he's definitely got a big future if he sticks with New Japan, but he'll have to deal with the young lion treatment the same as the others and it'll likely be quite a while before he gets his first win.

They keep teasing the Razor's Edge, though - that's going to be real cool when he finally hits it.

RP912

Banned
If only ROH was on the new streaming wars with their content...I know they have the VIP ringside thing, but I'm talking dvds, events dating back to the glory days, and exclusive content.

I would gladly pay 9.99 for ROH goodness.

RP912

Banned
Proper hyped for the NWA Classics service - all the footage comes from arena shows for Paul Boesch's Houston promotion and the vast majority of it has never been seen before, so this is super exciting.

Oh yeah, I think he's definitely got a big future if he sticks with New Japan, but he'll have to deal with the young lion treatment the same as the others and it'll likely be quite a while before he gets his first win.

They keep teasing the Razor's Edge, though - that's going to be real cool when he finally hits it.

I always picture his variation of the Razor's Edge like a inverted F5 or leading into a Rock Bottom type of finish which would be amazing. I agree with the young lion treatment though, as long as he keeps his head up and making the Bucks look good...he'll be champ before we know it.

If only ROH was on the new streaming wars with their content...I know they have the VIP ringside thing, but I'm talking dvds, events dating back to the glory days, and exclusive content.

I would gladly pay 9.99 for ROH goodness.

ROH/CZW/PWG joint effort would be amazing, as you'd get the 'Promotion Wars' too!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cody's never going to get over if he doesn't stop apeing his dad's shit so hard.

That was cute for a while, but you're supposed to be a real wrestler now. Come up with your own shit.

RP912

Banned
ROH/CZW/PWG joint effort would be amazing, as you'd get the 'Promotion Wars' too!

hell throw in 5 dollar wrestling to the package and I'm fair game.

Cody's never going to get over if he doesn't stop apeing his dad's shit so hard.

That was cute for a while, but you're supposed to be a real wrestler now. Come up with your own shit.

True...but I guess it goes with the Bullet Club gimmick since it's the stable is pretty much a ode to American stables of the past. Cody doing the job well to be the Outsider...

I want Cody to cut a 7 promo like Dustin did, and go full heel; and become the Brett Hart to Dolph Zigglers Shawn Michael's. I want these two to feud for 6 months over the IC title.

Make it personal, and nasty. Blur the lines between reality.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh damn that's pretty amazing. I hope this kick's WWE up the arse to get more older content out, but it won't. They won't even acknowledge the NWA's service.

Serious question: why would anyone think it would?

"Elgin will get the Honma treatment, bank on it".

Oh, new New Japan fans, why do you set yourself up for disappointment? Honma was the first to score 0 points in his block since Yoshitatsu in 2006 and, although a guy making his debut usually won't do spectacularly, it's the G1 and there's a level of competence expected from competitors. I'll bet that Elgin gets the Shelton role of playing spoiler for a bunch of internet favourites - a win over Shibata should be enough to get twitter seething.

Guys, it all makes sense

Bray...is TNA-era Schiavone

HffVn5t.png

:jnc it's all so clear now. WCW killed all hope the man had, and he's just been getting worse as the years progress

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What if Kofi wins the MITB case and then the title and this is all part of getting the belt back to brock?

Giving the belt back to Brock seems like a shitty idea anyways. There's only one storyline near the top of the card and assuming Rollins retains, bringing back Brock to fight him for the belt just means you took your two hottest faces (Reigns and Ambrose) and made them do nothing.

RP912

Banned
Don't see anything in Honma...except the weird headdive move, other than that...not seeing the potential at all.

The Honma treatment is getting carried by your superior opponents, right?

In this context it was losing every match in the G1, but in a more general context I guess the Honma treatment is where Honma comes along, wrestles a match and gets a bigger reaction from the crowd for a missed diving headbutt than any other move performed on that show. In a way he's doing a service, so guys like Yujiro can understand what it's like to hear the crowd reacting for their matches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In this context it was losing every match in the G1, but in a more general context I guess the Honma treatment is where Honma comes along, wrestles a match and gets a bigger reaction from the crowd for a missed diving headbutt than any other move performed on that show. In a way he's doing a service, so guys like Yujiro can understand what it's like to hear the crowd reacting for their matches.

The Akebono of NJPW.

With the same life expectancy.

Homna is in the sanding role,of dude who is over and can do fun stuff.

Santino almost winning the EC was great. HOMNA with a IWGP title,match would be hot

Oh, yes indeedy;

NvEfhoU.jpg

That should be a pretty great match, big opportunity for the Pastor.

Homna is in the sanding role,of dude who is over and can do fun stuff.

Santino almost winning the EC was great. HOMNA with a IWGP title,match would be hot

Any time Honma gets a chance, the crowd go ballistic - check out the IC title match vs Tanaka from 2011;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVnDA16mSjw

Super hot Korakuen crowd who support Honma all the way through.

Heel

Complaining about lack of classic content on WWE Network when no one, including the people complaining, actually watches it.

kGfoq.gif

Fox318

Complaining about lack of classic content on WWE Network when no one, including the people complaining, actually watches it.

kGfoq.gif

I just watched In Your House: Canadian Stampede

I'm more upset by the site's usability then anything else.

RP912

Banned
WWE Network ran it's course the moment they put the LeBell lock on my credit card when people got out of their contracts...fuck that service.

Heel

Let's be real, the WWE Network original "Swerved" will pull 100 fold more views than your fave's crusty 5 star classic.

Kaladin

I wish they would organize classic content better. Give me good starting points to pick up a new storyline, or something like that.

Sure, it's nice to have it just there....but I want to know what I'm looking at too.

I don't watch it because they haven't put up the shit I'm interested in - namely, all the thousands of episodes of territory-era TV they have in their library, just fuckin' sitting there. We got ONE episode of Mid-South TV. And don't give me "but it has to be converted and restored" shit - I've got three whole seasons of Mid-South TV on DVD and the quality is great, more than acceptable for old footage from the 80's.

Also, while just chucking up episodes in chronological order might be enough to satisfy fans like me, I'm not deluded enough to think that modern WWE fans want any part of the archive footage - that's why WWE have got to MAKE them interested in it, by using their goddamn brains and thinking of unique ways to present the content.

How about getting wrestlers to sit down and host a show about their favourite territory matches? Stone Cold presents his top WCCW matches, for instance. Or get wrestlers to provide custom commentary for some of their famous bouts? Bret & HBK, for example. Or make some mini-documentaries about famous angles and matches? Flair & DiBiase talking about Ted's famous face turn, for instance.

Fox318

Let's be real, the WWE Network original "Swerved" will pull 100 fold more views than your fave's crusty 5 star classic.

And it still will be more expensive to produce.

I don't exactly see them advertising or talking about that Jerry Springer show anymore.

Fox318

I don't watch it because they haven't put up the shit I'm interested in - namely, all the thousands of episodes of territory-era TV they have in their library, just fuckin' sitting there. We got ONE episode of Mid-South TV. And don't give me "but it has to be converted and restored" shit - I've got three whole seasons of Mid-South TV on DVD and the quality is great, more than acceptable for old footage from the 80's.

Also, while just chucking up episodes in chronological order might be enough to satisfy fans like me, I'm not deluded enough to think that modern WWE fans want any part of the archive footage - that's why WWE have got to MAKE them interested in it, by using their goddamn brains and thinking of unique ways to present the content.

How about getting wrestlers to sit down and host a show about their favourite territory matches? Stone Cold presents his top WCCW matches, for instance. Or get wrestlers to provide custom commentary for some of their famous bouts? Bret & HBK, for example. Or make some mini-documentaries about famous angles and matches? Flair & DiBiase talking about Ted's famous face turn, for instance.

Spot on.

Hell they should desperately want a lapsed fan type show to cover older shows.

They never advertise any old content on the network. They only focus on the new shows.

They have 3 hours of TV time and they can't do a 15 second spot showing a clip from an ECW One Night Stand show or even something silly like the Monster Truck Sumo?

RP912

Banned
It hurts...it hurts so badly that all of those WCW/NWA tapes from Saturday Night to Power Hour are just sitting there...just fucking sitting there. I'm still waiting for 97-01 Nitros to pop up.

The main reason I subscribed to the Network for wrestling, not reality shows and half assed ppvs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Where else can I watch Harlem Heat 2000, but the WWE Network, Heel?

Triple H and Vince aren't going to give 4 black men a tv show when they could give it to Corey Graves instead

Alucard

Banned
Want to share a little life goal/dream that I recently achieved, friends.

A long time ago, I told myself that if/when I purchase a home, I would have a room and table with a chess set permanently set up and ready to play at any time. While it's in a room with other stuff, it still counts. Life goal achieved!

Pretty happy. Small but important to me. :)

Guys, wrestling is intellectually unsatisfying. Haven't cared much about it the past 2-3 weeks...not even the good stuff. Guess I'm currently in an "off" phase when it comes to wrestling. Need something with more intelligence.

I checked wrestling out early last year during Daniel Bryan's big push, cos I saw a lot of stuff around the internet about him. That was all right, but then it was boring until Summerslam and then it continued to be boring except when Brock was on. I skip through a Raw and PPV every now and then just to keep abreast of current Brock levels on the show. Was semi-active in this topic for a while, but I think now that I've got a sense of what WWE actually does I struggle to find it that interesting.

I catch some cool moves by the other guys every once in a while and I check out the story summaries, but really 95% of what is going on across the entire roster is really boring and not worth a fraction of the time it takes to get through. Most matches are really similar, storylines are very thin with not much fun stuff to enjoy (at least compared to what I remember when I was a kid with all the ridiculous feud furniture like fighting in supermarkets, supernatural sacrifices, familial betrayals on a monthly basis).

The only thing that really gives me that dumb satisfaction I'm looking for when I feel like tuning in to WWE is Brock throwing people around and the crowd loving it.

Heel

Those all sound like "nice to haves" for subscribers, not something that actually draws a dime or drives new membership.

As awesome as it would be, the people on the fence waiting to subscribe should they pull the trigger on "Cornette's Smoky Mountain Faves, Spring 1993" would have a minimal impact on the bottom line. I just have to accept that.

Top Bottom