• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

I hope some of you watched ROH last night, because the best match on any of the shows was Dalton Castle vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger;

z4by5kN.gif
ZvQ6rgE.gif

Jamie OD

Tough Enough: we're looking for people with a passion. Not a passion for wrestling, oh no, but a passion for celebrity. Have you always wanted to be an asshole celeb with more money than sense? Well, let Professional Wrestling be your gateway to stardom! WWE will give you everything you need to launch you on course to being an asshole celeb: exposure, a great sense of entitlement and, most importantly, higher wages than your more-deserving peers. Why work hard like those chumps, when you can instead "win" a scripted "reality" TV show? Sound's simple, right? Well, the rest is up to YOU. Do you have what it takes to alienate everyone around you and become a vacuous, self-important blowhard perfect for reality TV? Are you Tough Enough?

It will probably be good to watch for schadenfreude reasons. I don't know why but I'm interested in this season. Maybe it's the seperation between this and NXT over how people in the company think their future stars should be.

Aiii

So not worth it
Tough Enough: we're looking for people with a passion. Not a passion for wrestling, oh no, but a passion for celebrity. Have you always wanted to be an asshole celeb with more money than sense? Well, let Professional Wrestling be your gateway to stardom! WWE will give you everything you need to launch you on course to being an asshole celeb: exposure, a great sense of entitlement and, most importantly, higher wages than your more-deserving peers. Why work hard like those chumps, when you can instead "win" a scripted "reality" TV show? Sound's simple, right? Well, the rest is up to YOU. Do you have what it takes to alienate everyone around you and become a vacuous, self-important blowhard perfect for reality TV? Are you Tough Enough?

The-Miz.png

imBask

Banned
I hate lucha with a passion but I decided to watch Lucha Underground for the first time last night anyway

that
was
amazing
oh
my
god

Fox318

Hey look it's Wrestlemania headliner The Miz.

I never understood why they thought he would be a good face of the company.

I mean most people said :"Is that the guy from the real world? Wow that wrestling is fake"

Instead of trying to make it feel real like when they got Tyson.

jmdajr

BBC:Mexican wrestling grapples to secure a bright future

_83532257_p3240198.jpg

As a proud Mexican wrestler Super Astro won't take off his mask or reveal his real name.

Now 58 years old, while he still competes in the ring from time to time, his main job is running his sandwich shop in Mexico City. Which he does while still wearing his silver and black mask.

The eatery - Tortas Super Astro - is a homage to Mexican wrestling, known in its homeland as lucha libre (free wrestling).

Super Astro first opened the business back in 1986 because despite the enduring popularity of lucha libre in Mexico, the wrestlers were paid very little.

He says he realised that there would be demand for a sandwich shop that provided giant amounts of food for low prices. And at the same time, that the eatery would also give him a more dependable source of income.

Fast forward 26 years, and Mexican wrestlers still don't get paid very much, particularly in comparison with the stars of the US behemoth that is World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).

For while WWE wrestlers can easily pocket $2m (£1.3m) a year, the best lucha libre fighters earn about $1,600 at the largest weekly events, and most are paid significantly less.

..more

Raw64life

Based on tweets from the WWE Tough Enough account, here are the first round of eliminations:

Adam "The Big O" Ohriner, Long Island, N.Y.
Ava Knight-Salicka, Las Vegas
Carly Marshall from Los Angeles (knee injury)
Jason Vazquez, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Kevin Penczek from Bell, West Virginia
Lorenzo Davis II, Los Angeles

lol Big O out immediately.

TNA news:

Impact last night in Canada aired without commentary. Someone fucked up.
A station in India is airing Impact focused on Khoya (like how SD always ended with Khali's segment or match). The problem is it's Khoya, who will more often than not (as in 99% vs 1%) never be used on Impact. Someone fucked up.
Cornette said on his podcast his friend Mike who works in TNA's office? Accidentally received an Excel spreadsheet copy of their financials that was meant for the Mike who's head of merch. The war between TNA and email continues. Someone fucked up.

Fox318

So on Observer Radio Meltzer was saying that Vince has no idea Prowrestlingtees exist and that despite Owens selling tons of merch and network subs for NXT he doesn't want anyone else from ROH or indies to maintain their character because of a toy?

Does Hasbro own a stake in WWE or something? How many Kevin Steen figures does he think they will sell vs the money they make?

Kaladin

So on Observer Radio Meltzer was saying that Vince has no idea Prowrestlingtees exist and that despite Owens selling tons of merch and network subs for NXT he doesn't want anyone else from ROH or indies to maintain their character because of a toy?

Does Hasbro own a stake in WWE or something? How many Kevin Steen figures does he think they will sell vs the money they make?

I believe they don't know about Prowrestlingtees.

If they did they would lawsuit them so hard they would be knocked out of existence.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Pentagon, Cuerno, or Drago isn't Lucha Underground champion by next season, they fucked up.

I'd say Mil too, but he don't need it. Already the Boss Level character of that show.

Fox318

I believe they don't know about Prowrestlingtees.

If they did they would lawsuit them so hard they would be knocked out of existence.

Austin, Nash, Hall, Foley, and Punk have stuff up there. I'm sure they would want to go after them for anything they can considering how bitter the company can be.

I mean they have Latino World Order and Blue World Order shirts up there and they went after the bullet club for the kliq sign stuff.

Who's that tall dude who always reads from the card before the match?

Seiji Sakaguchi;

o1cVZ3l.jpg

He was one of Rikidozan's students and started out in the JWA with Inoki & Baba, then followed Inoki to New Japan and became the secondary star of the promotion throughout the 70's, much in the same way Fujinami did in the 80's. After retiring he took the role of IWGP commissioner, which is why you'd see him reading the official match contract at the start of title matches. He occasionally shows up on commentary for big New Japan shows, but not very often these days.

Elite hot takes on my silly Twitter about the nonsense of wrestling, y'all

Indie twitter's really been getting its knickers in a twist for the past couple of days. DRAMA!

Kaladin

Austin, Nash, Hall, Foley, and Punk have stuff up there. I'm sure they would want to go after them for anything they can considering how bitter the company can be.

I mean they have Latino World Order and Blue World Order shirts up there and they went after the bullet club for the kliq sign stuff.

Hell, they have a Macho Man shirt up there:

http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/classic-macho-man.html

That is very much a knock-off of one WWE Shop has:

http://shop.wwe.com/"Macho-Man"-Ran...Purple&start=4&cgid=superstar-alumni-machoman

Jamie OD

Same reason why WWE wants to own the names of wrestlers even after they fire them. They hate it when others make money from "their" work. They'd rather keep something and sit on it rather than let it go and see someone else succeed with it even if the success is minimal.

they know it exist, asutin had to take one of his shirts down. dont think they really care. this toy thing seems petty espcially since the steen figures are only going to have one run and thas it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like how Pro Wrestling Tees went out of their way to say 'Hey fuck everyone else who sells them, we're hte only authorized NJPW Shirt sellers!!!!! We'll snitch on anyone else!'

then go to their NJPW section which they haven't updated since they first got them. Still the same old outdated shirts. I hope Vince DOES find out about that site

Fox318

Same reason why WWE wants to own the names of wrestlers even after they fire them. They hate it when others make money from "their" work. They'd rather keep something and sit on it rather than let it go and see someone else succeed with it even if the success is minimal.

That's one thing when your company is making crazy money but right now ratings are down and network subs can't be doing fantastic considering they are giving away every PPV for free.

Owens is bringing in money and eyes to the product. Seems silly to throw that away because ROH is making 1,000 plastic toys.

Kaladin

I don't really get the big deal over the Steen action figure. The majority of action figures that will sell will be Kevin Owens action figures, because that is what everyone will know him as.

The Kevin Steen action figure will sell to collectors and smark fans but won't make a big headway into the casual fan's collection.

Pro-Wrestling Tees are terrible quality and are run by some ridiculously defensive assholes - at least the NJPW Europe tees are printed to a much higher standard and always have the sleeve & back designs.

QduQwsk.jpg

hJeisNx.jpg

6o7hz6z.jpg

I like how Pro Wrestling Tees went out of their way to say 'Hey fuck everyone else who sells them, we're hte only authorized NJPW Shirt sellers!!!!! We'll snitch on anyone else!'

then go to their NJPW section which they haven't updated since they first got them. Still the same old outdated shirts. I hope Vince DOES find out about that site

They updated it all the time. They just put up an ibushi and nakamura trading card shirt

Yesterday was my first experience with Lucha Underground. Then I went back and watched a few matches from last year.

A few thoughts:

1. I didn't know John Morrison was still wrestling.
2. Prince Puma is damn amazing
3. I love the energy that these guys fight with.
4. I've yet to see a bad or horribly botched match yet.

btw this drink and this Tournament of Death is both disgusting. Pristine_Condition can suck it

It's not my fault you can't do drugs and write, pal. I did enjoy how you got ultraviolet on the pear though.

PWTees is a pretty shitty company. They use some "artists" that rip shit off wholesale. And they know it. They just don't care/and/or play ignorant.

Kaladin

Yesterday was my first experience with Lucha Underground. Then I went back and watched a few matches from last year.

A few thoughts:

1. I didn't know John Morrison was still wrestling.
2. Prince Puma is damn amazing
3. I love the energy that these guys fight with.
4. I've yet to see a bad or horribly botched match yet.

Prince Puma is independent wrassler Ricochet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhg4hh3hKI

You're welcome.

Fox318

I will say I do like that Prowrestlingtees has such a wide variety of stuff even if some of them are crap.

Stuff like Hats, bandanas, and skullcaps are something that people might actually wear instead of the shitloads of bad merch wwe sells.

And outside of Reigns, Cena, Bellas, and now Owens nobody gets a ton of merch.

No reason why somebody as popular as Bryan had this shirt for so long while Cena had 4 designs during that period regardless of how well they sell.

GjyHp4ml.jpg

I'm always amazed that WWE makes no golf shirts or gear at all. I could see some club covers being top sellers.

I wonder what happened to puro_yottsume. He was the best when it came to NJPW merch.

Top Bottom