• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT-2| Money In The Bank, None In The Stock

I'm in London this weekend so decided to look up to see if they had a show or anything going on, but they've fucked off to Sonisphere. Progress is dead to me.
Can't wait to watch when I get home
Yeah, you just missed a show last night. Next one is July 27th, Noam Dar vs Jimmy Havoc, London Riots vs FSU, and Samoa Joe vs Rampage Brown.

Sold out though.

It would be nice if Bo took Ryder under his wing. I could see the training montages now, and the motivational speeches.

It would be a real fun gimmick and then, once he's fixed Ryder, he could start a 'support group' stable of other down-on-their luck wrestlers and turn all their fortunes around.

I think they're going for the idea that he's an incompetent, though, rather than the brainwashing motivational speaker I'd prefer him to be.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bo needs to have SOME success before they berry him.

This made me laugh.
y2KG5tn.png
Lol, if only his wrestling was as entertaining.

It would be a real fun gimmick and then, once he's fixed Ryder, he could start a 'support group' stable of other down-on-their luck wrestlers and turn all their fortunes around.

I think they're going for the idea that he's an incompetent, though, rather than the brainwashing motivational speaker I'd prefer him to be.

It would be the Straight Edge Society mixed with the Dean System. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it could certainly be something.

It's almost too bad they let JTG go. He would have been perfect, along with Ryder and Sandow.

¡HarlequinPanic!;118906361 said:

Is The Last of Us' story that good? I've been trying to get through that one, but the only motivation I can find is when I'm in the mood to admire the textures and shader effects. I'm probably like 12 hours in at this point (though I always take way longer to finish games because I explore every nook and cranny I can find, leave games on pause for a while, etc.)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is The Last of Us' story that good? I've been trying to get through that one, but the only motivation I can find is when I'm in the mood to admire the textures and shader effects. I'm probably like 12 hours in at this point (though I always take way longer to finish games because I explore every nook and cranny I can find, leave games on pause for a while, etc.)

It's ok, GAF is a den of hyperbole so temper your expectations. It's really lopsided in some weird ways. It's ok.

gorfyako

Banned
Can someone help me with upcoming NJPW events? The one Saturday night (Sunday morning) came out of nowhere; didn't know there was an Ishii title defense until the day of.

What have we got upcoming that's worth watching? I know G1 Climax starts July 21. What's happening before then? Any match listings?

krae_man

Remember when they teased Russev-Reigns during the battle royal and the crowd went apeshit? Yeah Reigns isn't going to get a one on one match with Russev until after Cena turns him into a worthless joke. Because of this, the match will bring Reigns down instead of up which is probably all part of the master plan.

Thorakai

Only if the only media you are exposed to is video games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone help me with upcoming NJPW events? The one Saturday night (Sunday morning) came out of nowhere; didn't know there was an Ishii title defense until the day of.

What have we got upcoming that's worth watching? I know G1 Climax starts July 21. What's happening before then? Any match listings?

I think the G1 is next. It's big. Prepare thyself!

There's a show on Friday, but it doesn't look like it's going to be an iPPV as it isn't up to pre-order, so the next one will probably be the G1 opening night on the 21st. For listings, purolove is a good resource;

http://purolove.com/

Meanwhile, Dragon Gate have a couple of shows before then, a smaller Korakuen Hall show on Thursday and their big annual Kobe World show on the 20th;

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate

Last of Us is a fine plot and experience, Ellie is a bit weak but whatevs I'd still put it at a compelling tv miniseries (but with the budget to look like a film thanks to vidya).

fuckin' game plots. I bought this game called Cloudbuilt in the steam sale, and it suffers from D-list Speilberg manufactured emotion bullshit:

"THIS IS A GAME ABOUT DOING SWEET PARKOUR IN THE SKY..."

oh wow that sounds pretty aweso--

"BECAUSE YOu'RE A LITTLE GIRL IN A COMA IRL"

:percy

¡HarlequinPanic!;118909733 said:
fuckin' game plots. I bought this game called Cloudbuilt in the steam sale, and it suffers from D-list Speilberg manufactured emotion bullshit:

I legit thought you were confusing this game and ThatGameCompany's first game Cloud
Then I realized, oh no, that's just a standard goddamn trope and damnit

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think Cena winning was pretty obvious. Orton was just recently a huge flop as the champion and it's be weird for him to get the belt since you'd have no direction to go. Reigns and Cesaro are way too early. Del Rio is lol, so is Kane. Sheamus is essentially a mid-carder and fits nowhere. Bray didn't feel like a contendor either after the Cena fued. That leaves your safe option in Cena. This just shows the lack of starpower in the WWE roster. They have Cena, Orton, and Bryan. The other main eventers are all part timers like Triple H, Lesnar and Batista.

They need to make an effort to establish the Shield, Cesaro and Wyatt within the next year because if they mess up there, they're going to be even more stuck in 1-2 years time. So far, they're doing well with them all except Cesaro who seems to be going downhill since Wrestlemania.

The bolded is precisely because they fall back on Cena (and to a much lesser extent, Orton) and focus on him all the time.

For instance, during the NXT/Nexus invasion and angle, Wade Barrett had absolutely no problem fitting in at the top of the card, cutting a 15-20 minute promo to start off RAW, having the spotlight on him, etc. And with the deck stacked for him at... Survivor Series I think it was, with Wade Barrett vs Orton for the title, and Cena as the guest referee (and a member of Nexus, against his will), I remember the build up for the match not being about Wade Barrett and Nexus knocking on the door of greatness, of capturing the title, of conquering the WWE. No, it was "What will John Cena do?" It wasn't about Wade Barrett. It wasn't about Orton. It wasn't about the title. It was about John Cena. The fucking referee.

And Mr. Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect screwed Wade Barrett out of a title win, shoving him into an RKO.

Then they had Cena bury Nexus and Wade, literally. You built up all this momentum for someone, then instead of giving them that one push to stardom, you ignore them, and fall back on Cena. And Barrett's been stuck in the midcard ever since, neglected and forgotten until BNB.

Similarly, Cody Rhodes has always been entertaining in the ring and on the mic, popular, and safe to work with. After Legacy, we got his successful Dashing character, and they went with the logical step of a lengthy IC title run, which really elevated the midcard and the status of the title. But after he lost the title, instead of doing the logical thing and doing a lengthy singles feud with someone in the upper card, or pushing him into the title picture, they paired him up with Damien Sandow and made them a tag team. The push never came. He's 29, so there's still time for him to become a huge star with 5 or 10 years of upper-card credibility (for reigns of his own and rubs to other wrestlers), but he could have been a generational star like Orton, Cena, The Rock, HBK, etc.

There's no reason why Barrett should have fallen off the face of the earth for 3 years after Nexus, or why Cody should have gone from his IC title reign to the tag division instead of a title feud, or non-title feud with someone in the upper card. Let's hope they don't fuck up Bray Wyatt or the Shield like they have with so many others, but after that Cena feud with Wyatt, and with reports from dirt sheets over the last year of HHH constantly having to prevent Vine from dissolving and depushing the Shield and its members... I'm still worried.

gorfyako

Banned
I think the G1 is next. It's big. Prepare thyself!
I know that the G1 is the next big event, but I'm just wondering if there are any smaller ones between now and then with title defenses like the Kizuna Road event Saturday night.
There's a show on Friday, but it doesn't look like it's going to be an iPPV as it isn't up to pre-order, so the next one will probably be the G1 opening night on the 21st. For listings, purolove is a good resource;

http://purolove.com/

Meanwhile, Dragon Gate have a couple of shows before then, a smaller Korakuen Hall show on Thursday and their big annual Kobe World show on the 20th;

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate
Thanks, totally not read for G1 either. Still debating on whether or not I should sleep during the day or if I should just get home after work and watch the prior night's event each night.

As for Dragon Gate: Not enough interest yet. I watched the six man cage match from Dead or Alive expecting something serious as I always assumed Dragon Gate was serious, but I got pretty much the opposite. Not sure how to feel.

As for Dragon Gate: Not enough interest yet. I watched the six man cage match from Dead or Alive expecting something serious as I always assumed Dragon Gate was serious, but I got pretty much the opposite. Not sure how to feel.

Dragon Gate alternate quite a bit between serious and goofy and it can be a hard product to follow, lots of promos and guys defecting from one stable to another, etc. Generally, the smaller shows will be less serious - Thursday's show, for example, has a fun looking main event with Masaaki Mochizuki teaming up with BxB Hulk and calling himself BxB Mochi, but it's one for those who are already fans of the promotion. The Kobe World show is where all the title matches will be featured, so it will definitely be the more serious of the two.

I can understand their reluctance to give Reigns the belt, but I feel like Reigns winning was the right story to go with. Rollins had to sell out just to get a title shot, but Reigns would've won the belts directly. I get that Cena's the only guy who's realistically on Brock's level, though.

I can understand their reluctance to give Reigns the belt, but I feel like Reigns winning was the right story to go with. Rollins had to sell out just to get a title shot, but Reigns would've won the belts directly. I get that Cena's the only guy who's realistically on Brock's level, though.

I think the issue is more that they want the belt on Brock and don't want Reigns to have a 2-month title reign in his first run as champion. By giving it to Cena you can get both. Lesnar can take it off of Cena, then Reigns wins it from Lesnar.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think the issue is more that they want the belt on Brock and don't want Reigns to have a 2-month title reign in his first run as champion. By giving it to Cena you can get both. Lesnar can take it off of Cena, then Reigns wins it from Lesnar.

Then Rollins cashes in and Reigns has a 2 minute title reign instead of 2 months.
iKLfnQoELpdpn.png

Yeah I understand, and Brock/Cena will be huge for Summerslam. It would've been funny if Rollins cashed in pretty quickly only for Brock's music to hit the next week.

It's ok, GAF is a den of hyperbole so temper your expectations. It's really lopsided in some weird ways. It's ok.

I'm holding out for the supposedly great ending. We'll see if I make it that far. Mario Kart has distracted me greatly and I just picked up the Amnesia games and Guacamelee on the Steam sale. It may not happen...

Only if the only media you are exposed to is video games.

I wonder how some on the Gaming side are able to simultaneously play/beat all the games they do and still find time to constantly post.

¡HarlequinPanic!;118909733 said:
Last of Us is a fine plot and experience, Ellie is a bit weak but whatevs I'd still put it at a compelling tv miniseries (but with the budget to look like a film thanks to vidya).

Ellie as a character grates the shit out of me. She basically seems like Carl from The Walking Dead in female form. I may be losing it, but "The Last of Us" and "The Walking Dead" having the same number of syllables seems like no accident.

BHZ Mayor

Brock's not winning at Summerslam. Think about it. What greater "odds" can you overcome than beating the man that broke the streak?

I do find it funny that Bryan doing a Q&A and Ambrose got better reactions than Reigns, or anybody in the title match for that matter. That's the kind of main event scene we're dealing with.

As far as video games go, all I know is that I keep playing Terraria, but I have no idea why I'm playing or what I'm doing. It's too unstructured for me.

Top Bottom