• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT-2| Money In The Bank, None In The Stock

Oh ok. Because they didn't do it to Neville, they won't do it to Fergal. I guess you think Becky is less important than Neville as a future talent, or that you just look the other way.

without Fergal (i'm using his real name cause i know the business) Neville wouldn't have been signed.

this match was seen by regal and talked with trips to get them signed/noticed.

new page

2011+03+27_0225.jpg

strobogo

Banned
There's a difference between getting cheers and the type of pandering the WWE's done with their top faces recently. SCSA pandered/got cheers by being SCSA. "I'mma drinks beers, whoop a little ass, eat a little cheeseburger and shove my foot straight up Vince McMahon's ass gimme a hell yeah!" Rock did it by cutting self-indulgent promos that despite being nonsensical, were entertaining enough to get the crowd to legitimize his "People's Champion" schtick, which he then incorporated. DBry, Sheamus and ADR were turned into different flavors of Cena, which makes no sense for them. "I did it for all of you, the fans!" Complete one eighty for at least one of them, no foundation, no subtext (save for Bryan, whose transition from Hell No to determined ass kicker to standard babyface was relatively smooth for today). If pandering has to be there, it needs to be more subtle than what we have now. Otherwise, they might as well start putting "Cheer Now" up on the Titanttron.

WCW actually did have boo/cheer signs when they taped at Disney. Because it is a TV show. Where guys pander for the reactions the bosses want them to have. There is NO difference in Rock saying he did it for the people and Cena/Bryan saying the same thing. Or Hogan doing it for the Hulkamaniacs. Or Sting doing it for the Stingers. Or Warrior for the Warriors. Or Foley doing the cheap pops every week. Or every heel that went for cheap heat on the local sports team.

Oh ok. Because they didn't do it to Neville, they won't do it to Fergal. I guess you think Becky is less important than Neville as a future talent, or that you just look the other way.

I don't think that Becky is less important, but I am sure that they do. Which is why they won't torpedo Devitt with a stereotypical gimmick. At worst he'll be in the vein of Sheamus, which in my book isn't bad. And if not assuming the worst all of the time means I am "looking the other way", then yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Ithil

Are you trolling?
He literally comes out to the British flag, god save the queen, and talks about how he fights on the streets, dude.

When is the last time he talked about fighting on the streets? And that's playing off his real background, not his being British.

Showaddy

Just like Barrett has all those stereotypical British features?

Pretty sure he had a couple before his Bad News gimmick. Which is kinda redundant anyway bearing in mind this is about terrible Irish gimmicks which the WWE is currently 0/3 on (and shit Hornswoggle aint even Irish and he got slapped with one, he's just short and happened to be trained by Finlay...)

Pretty reasonable grounds for paranoia.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When is the last time he talked about fighting on the streets? And that's playing off his real background, not his being British.

Every single time they call him the bare knuckle brawler. It's also what Regal was called by, his history of 'fighting in the streets.' Lots of things that people actually did can still be a stereotype. I mean people were just complaining about the 'fighting family' with Becky.

Pretty sure he had a couple before his Bad News gimmick. Which is kinda redundant anyway bearing in mind this is about terrible Irish gimmicks which the WWE is currently 0/3 on (and shit Hornswoggle aint even Irish and he got slapped with one, he's just short and happened to be trained by Finlay...)

Pretty reasonable grounds for paranoia.

See, I don't see it that way. I think Finlay was great and Sheamus has been alright. Yeah, Sheamus is always telling the dumb stories, but he is treated seriously as a competitor. As far as Becky Lynch goes, it is week one. Give it time before you judge. So, at worst, I'd say they are 2/3.

Showaddy

See, I don't see it that way. I think Finlay was great and Sheamus has been alright. Yeah, Sheamus is always telling the dumb stories, but he is treated seriously as a competitor. As far as Becky Lynch goes, it is week one. Give it time before you judge. So, at worst, I'd say they are 2/3.

He's treated as a serious competitor because he's mates with Hunter, not because of his shite fightin' Irish gimmick. With Lynch the river-dancing is never going to get better, acknowledging she's Irish is one thing but dressing in green and trying to dance to the ring is just embarrassingly cringe worthy.

She'd be so much better with out it.

He's treated as a serious competitor because he's mates with Hunter, not because of his shite fightin' Irish gimmick. With Lynch the river-dancing is never going to get better, acknowledging she's Irish is one thing but dressing in green and trying to dance to the ring is just embarrassingly cringe worthy.

Irrelevant of why, Sheamus is treated as legitimate. So I don't think they are 0/3. And who knows that she'll keep dancing at the level she did? We don't. And my point was more so that projecting what they'll do with Devitt based on what they did with a Diva is ridiculous. Devitt won't be a joke. You can bank on that. At worst he'll be portrayed similar to Sheamus, and I don't think that's bad.

Just like Eugene or Santino were legit title contenders.

Hey now, Santino's run in the chamber was one of the best things that year in WWE.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Devitt won't be a joke. Just like Giant Bernard wouldn't be a joke. As soon as he bombs, he'll be doing a jig all the way to Superstars

strobogo

Banned
What Irish stuff does Sheamus do now besides talk about fighting and saying fella a lot? This isn't like his WHC run where he was telling all those ridiculous stories with every stereotype and cliche imaginable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What Irish stuff does Sheamus do now besides talk about fighting and saying fella a lot? This isn't like his WHC run where he was telling all those ridiculous stories with every stereotype and cliche imaginable.

So does what Sheamus do besides the basis for his entire character right now?

somedevil

Devitt won't be a joke. Just like Giant Bernard wouldn't be a joke. As soon as he bombs, he'll be doing a jig all the way to Superstars

You know Giant Bernard was the final signing of johnny ace before Triple H took over right? Can't compare that to now where WWE signs all the top Indie talent now compared to the past. Also, Triple H wanted him and kept going after him for a reason which I doubt is to dance.

Sblargh

Banned
speaks volumes that when folks talk about the successive NXT gimmicks bombing on RAW they forget about her.

I like a lot of NXT gimmicks, if they are successfull or not on Raw is another thing; even when creative isn't to blame. Sometimes we like stuff that the majority of the audience doesn't.

Seeing people here reacting to Becky Lynch gimmick should be a clue that NXT gimmicks doesn't get an instant approval despiste of what people say. The same goes for Mojo Rawley or The Ascension. I like NXT gimmicks more than I like the main roster usual gimmicks; it doesn't mean I buy them wholesale.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know Giant Bernard was the final signing of johnny ace before Triple H took over right? Can't compare that to now where WWE signs all the top Indie talent now compared to the past. Also, Triple H wanted him and kept going after him for a reason which I doubt is to dance.

Where does it say this? Because everyone says Kong and Mistico were Triple H's signings, and they were both before Bernard. Or do we retroactively take everything bad away from Triple? Especially considering Bernard and Triple H went to the same wrestling school.

gurudyne

WCW actually did have boo/cheer signs when they taped at Disney. Because it is a TV show. Where guys pander for the reactions the bosses want them to have. There is NO difference in Rock saying he did it for the people and Cena/Bryan saying the same thing. Or Hogan doing it for the Hulkamaniacs. Or Sting doing it for the Stingers. Or Warrior for the Warriors. Or Foley doing the cheap pops every week. Or every heel that went for cheap heat on the local sports team.

Come on now. There's a qualitative difference between a character playing their character to get a reaction from the crowd and a character breaking character to awkwardly tell an audience "Hey, cheer me!" If there wasn't, we'd have no need for writers as everyone could just go out and say "I'm the good/bad guy, cheer/boo me!"

Would not be surprised if Triple H is going to hold back talent until he gains more control of the main show. I don't even know if it's up to him who gets called up but I figure he's probably pissed that his NXT call ups are getting shafted, shitty gimmicks or not.

Top Bottom