• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

Zach

x4yml2W.jpg

Pictured: me, trying to talk to Data West.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Wolfenstein 2 trailer looked pretty good.

Was the first one good? Worth looking at?

Up until Doom came out, I'd say it was the best FPS campaign of the last decade.

and BJ is an incredibley likeable meathead.
What was so wrong with the "U" in "Bautista" that it had to be removed for his wrestling name?

Can't trademark real names to stop people form using them when they leave

Zach

Remember when Billy Gunn won king of the ring

I remember being a big Billy Gunn fan for a minute as a youth. When my friend got that terrible WWF Attitude game on PS1, I was all about "The One", daddeh!

I still don't hate his wrassle, really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zach

You motherfucker. I never noticed this. I just fucking Googled it. Nooooooooooooo

Wow, that was really awful.

I didn't know either when I watched. I remember thinking she looked weirdly pale, but didn't know she had died and it was CGI or whatevz.

P.S. She was a great character.

I didn't know either when I watched. I remember thinking she looked weirdly pale, but didn't know she had died and it was CGI or whatevz.

P.S. She was a great character.
Watching it now, the CGI isn't the awful part. The dialogue is the woist.

DUD

Jesus Long Beach... Tana vs Billy Gunn is literally worse than an ROH PPV...

The IWGP US tourney is probably going to be the saving grace of the specials.

But I guess they wanted to make sure Okada vs Cody wasn't going to be the worst title match

I think if we had been asked to give our most pessimistic thoughts on New Japan's US debut, we still would have never predicted something as silly as 2017 show main eventers Cody Rhodes and Billy Gunn

I can't even be happy that "well at least neither will win" because Cody will have likely won the ROH title right before, which will just devalue that belt even more regardless

I don't actually think Billy vs Tanahashi will be that bad - if it was a Korakuen main event I'd even be pretty hyped for it, as Billy pretty much won over the Japanese crowd with his performances in the tag league, but I'm not sure how the US crowd are going to react.

These LA cards are certainly a bit of a strange one, on the one hand this is indeed a New Japan show, replete with meaningless undercard tags and some odd title matches that aren't necessarily the very best they could have produced. On the other hand, I imagine many fans were expecting a supershow, not NJPW B-tier PPV cards.

Also, while I can kind of see why New Japan has gone this route, it could easily backfire. If the shows don't deliver beyond "it's New Japan...but in the US!" I imagine there'll be a few pissed off among the hardcore crowd. But they're after attention beyond that hardcore crowd who are already aware of New Japan and bought up all those tickets so quick. So I don't know if Billy and Cody are the best way to get that attention (perhaps they should've given Berty a call) but we'll see.

I think if we had been asked to give our most pessimistic thoughts on New Japan's US debut, we still would have never predicted something as silly as 2017 show main eventers Cody Rhodes and Billy Gunn

I can't even be happy that "well at least neither will win" because Cody will have likely won the ROH title right before, which will just devalue that belt even more regardless

Billy Gunn in 2017.... Christ.

I'm shifting my expectations for those title matches into watching for the lulz category.

Imagine buying tickets for that (long before Dominion) thinking maybe I'll get Okada/Omega, maybe I'll get an IC title match as good as Naito/Elgin with either Naito or Tana.
Only to find you're getting Cody and Billy Gunn.

I guess New Japan is banking on the US title tournament being the real draw here and the thing people talk about. But lol at Billy Gunn.

Let's not forget that weeks ago I said Omega would lose to Okada, then they'd make him US champ. He's gonna get a consolation prize.

That's totally going to happen, isn't it?

I don't actually think Billy vs Tanahashi will be that bad - if it was a Korakuen main event I'd even be pretty hyped for it, as Billy pretty much won over the Japanese crowd with his performances in the tag league, but I'm not sure how the US crowd are going to react.

These LA cards are certainly a bit of a strange one, on the one hand this is indeed a New Japan show, replete with meaningless undercard tags and some odd title matches that aren't necessarily the very best they could have produced. On the other hand, I imagine many fans were expecting a supershow, not NJPW B-tier PPV cards.

Also, while I can kind of see why New Japan has gone this route, it could easily backfire. If the shows don't deliver beyond "it's New Japan...but in the US!" I imagine there'll be a few pissed off among the hardcore crowd. But they're after attention beyond that hardcore crowd who are already aware of New Japan and bought up all those tickets so quick. So I don't know if Billy and Cody are the best way to get that attention (perhaps they should've given Berty a call) but we'll see.

The only saving grace is that they're getting Omega/ELgin and Naito/Ishii . Assuming they don't do something fucking stupid like put Juice Robinson over everyone, semi finals in that tourney should be any combinations of Omega, Naito, Lethal, ZSJ... and assuming they're really smart you get a finals of either Omega/Naito or Omega/ZSJ or Naito/ZSJ

Long Beach will live or die on the basis of the US title tourney.

It is incredibly disappointing imo at the level of effort they're putting into these shows. Doesn't make me take their expansion goals too seriously frankly.

Also no Jr Heavyweight Championship match has been announced either... So that might not even be on the line at Long Beach (though it could be announced for the 2nd show as not all those matches are out yet)

I guess New Japan is banking on the US title tournament being the real draw here and the thing people talk about. But lol at Billy Gunn.

Let's not forget that weeks ago I said Omega would lose to Okada, then they'd make him US champ. He's gonna get a consolation prize.

That's totally going to happen, isn't it?

I'm expecting Elgin to win and Omega and/or Naito eliminated in the first round

That Gunn match is going to be a shitshow no matter what. And yeah you could say "Tana's hurt and needs a rest anyway, he won't have to put in a lot of effort against an easy opponent" which I'd be more inclined to agree with if the whole build for this match
4wvLZES.jpg

hadn't happened pre-injury

Entropia

No One Remembers
Because a company with an actual wellness policy busted Billy Gunn for being on the juice

Wasn't he not an actual 'performer' though? Wasn't he just a trainer or something at NXT? You'd think it'd be ... not as bad if he's not actually wrestling.

He was juicing for some competition.

Wasn't he not an actual 'performer' though? Wasn't he just a trainer or something at NXT? You'd think it'd be ... not as bad if he's not actually wrestling.

In that position it honestly does make it worse because not only would he be doing it obviously for bodybuilding competitions, but he'd also at least be in a position to distribute what he takes to the students he trains at the Performance Center. It'd have looked terrible if they kept him after his positive test was made public in that position

Also no Jr Heavyweight Championship match has been announced either... So that might not even be on the line at Long Beach (though it could be announced for the 2nd show as not all those matches are out yet)

BUSHI's going to be challenging on the 6/27 Kizuna Road show, so if there is a defence in Long Beach it'll be announced after that. If KUSHIDA retains he could defend against any of the 3 guys he owes title shots to, I guess: Tiger Mask, ACH and El Desperado. If BUSHI wins, they could do a rematch in LA, or an ROH TV vs IWGP Jr. match.

Top Bottom