• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

2a928e57c56e946d1352317f3e996119.jpg

Me being a dickhead aside, this should be bannable.

Liger has long, long hair. Alright?!

But the trailer tried to say that Gawker was wronged because Thiel had a vendetta against them and financed Hogan's case. Somehow they throw Trump in there even though Trump wasn't President yet and wasn't really in this picture. They're trying to paint a picture that billionaires are financing the silencing of the corporate media. They made no attempt to describe Gawker's actions and why they were actually in the wrong here.

I get what you're saying, but the thing is Thiel stepped in and helped out Hogan. Hogan was set to settle and Thiel gave him a lawyer who told him not. The issue, for a lot of us, was Thiel's direct involvement in the case by funding all of Hogan's legal counsel. Now imagine if this was some smaller run site that didn't have the financial cache that Gawker has? I mean, we're kind of seeing it as Thiel's lawyer for the Hogan trial is singling out a writer who worked at Gawker on another case. Theil's lawyer is also working on the case for the "email inventor" who is suing Gawker. Thiel had no leg in this case other than to take down Gawker as a personal vendetta. That's a very scary thing.

The problem is A LOT of people saw this as "Fuck Gawker, and go Hogan" but had no clue about the involvement of Thiel. Also Trump is involved because he made it a statement to say he wants to remove Libel laws. Again, a very dangerous things for press.

I see this doc as more of a look at the current landscape of press and how it's under attack

I get what you're saying, but the thing is Thiel stepped in and helped out Hogan. Hogan was set to settle and Thiel gave him a lawyer who told him not. The issue, for a lot of us, was Thiel's direct involvement in the case by funding all of Hogan's legal counsel. Now imagine if this was some smaller run site that didn't have the financial cache that Gawker has? I mean, we're kind of seeing it as Thiel's lawyer for the Hogan trial is singling out a writer who worked at Gawker on another case. Theil's lawyer is also working on the case for the "email inventor" who is suing Gawker. Thiel had no leg in this case other than to take down Gawker as a personal vendetta. That's a very scary thing.

The problem is A LOT of people saw this as "Fuck Gawker, and go Hogan" but had no clue about the involvement of Thiel. Also Trump is involved because he made it a statement to say he wants to remove Libel laws. Again, a very dangerous things for press.

I see this doc as more of a look at the current landscape of press and how it's under attack

yeah this basically, with a side of:

fuck main gawker, leaking sex tapes is always bad
a lot of the side sites undeservedly took shit because of this

Zach

Netflix have posted the trailre for Nobody Speak, a documentary about the Hogan/Gawker lawsuit and Peter Thiel.

Summary: Journalists are trained to look for stories behind the stories. The reporters investigating the Hulk Hogan sex tape and the sale of the Las Vegas Journal-Review, however, found something unprecedented: billionaires covertly using their fortunes to silence the media. Nobody Speak explores what Peter Thiel’s financial support of the lawsuit against Gawker and Sheldon Adelson’s shadowy purchase of Nevada’s largest newspaper mean for future of journalism, the First Amendment, and the power of the ultra wealthy.

Coming to Netflix 23 June.

Sheeeeiiiiiii...

Kaladin

It's all fine to make a doc about how the press is under attack, but the Gawker lawsuit isn't the right frame work. Yeah, Hogan was financed with a billionare who had a vendetta against Gawker. The main Gawker site is a piece of shit website that didn't deserve to be thrown under the banner of "the press is being suppressed in the current landscape". Gawker did wrong by Hogan and others before him and deserved what they got.

It's all fine to make a doc about how the press is under attack, but the Gawker lawsuit isn't the right frame work. Yeah, Hogan was financed with a billionare who had a vendetta against Gawker. The main Gawker site is a piece of shit website that didn't deserve to be thrown under the banner of "the press is being suppressed in the current landscape". Gawker did wrong by Hogan and others before him and deserved what they got.

The thing you have to remember is none of those defending Gawker are not doing it with regards to Hogan. Universally it's pretty agreed Gawker fucked up and did something wrong there. The defense purely has to do with Thiel's involvement and vendetta in the case.

T.v

Ugh, today was too hot for work. This is supposed to be a cold country damnit.
Luckily it looks like tomorrow will be cooler.

Man, my wife wants me to rent out a beach house 5 hrs away for the weekend. Why would I spend $700-$800 to hang out in a home by the beach with my kids and wife when i could stay at our home here, spend time with them and save $800?

Having a wife and kids costing me money. Hate it. Hate them. :mad:

Kaladin

The thing you have to remember is none of those defending Gawker are not doing it with regards to Hogan. Universally it's pretty agreed Gawker fucked up and did something wrong there. The defense purely has to do with Thiel's involvement and vendetta in the case.

I still don't see it as the proper framework here. You want the focus on media being silenced, but you probably don't want to lead with a case where they were right to be shut down.

jmdajr

Man, my wife wants me to rent out a beach house 5 hrs away for the weekend. Why would I spend $700-$800 to hang out in a home by the beach with my kids and wife when i could stay at our home here, spend time with them and save $800?

I'd rather save the money and take "a real trip"

T.v

800 bucks for 2 days? sounds expensive..

Here is your fucking theme, brother jack dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlGtcW1Qg8

Now you listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you HashtagLapsed.

I officially have the best theme tune in all of WrestleGAF.

Also, fact of the day - it's a common misconception that Badalamenti composed and performed The Pink Room, but it was actually Lynch and his band.

Tall4Life

Matthew Gallant

newdayrocks

Browny

Kaladin

Foggy
formated4tv

Recall
TarpitCarnivore

FallingEdge
Zach

Sephzilla

HashtagLapsed

THE NO EXCUSE TO BE WATCHING WRESTLING CLUB

spindashing

Caderfix
Syder
Anth0ny

Beefy

Heroman
I'm 18, though I'm 19 on August 19

Now you listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you HashtagLapsed.

I officially have the best theme tune in all of WrestleGAF.

Also, fact of the day - it's a common misconception that Badalamenti composed and performed The Pink Room, but it was actually Lynch and his band.

I'll break my theme giving kayfabe but this is true. And I posted this before, but it is only because I am so excited to see and hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEgLvsaH-Y

It is different, yeah, but it will deafen me into a more wonderful state of being.

Also after the emotion he puts into Sycamore Trees after The Pink Room 'cover' is pretty intense. Seeing this live may very well ruin me.

Also.

I love you, 31GhostsIV

Zach

Now you listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you, OwensIsNow.

:O

T.v

3 nights but yeah, I'm frugal and think it is.

I hear you, I live an incredibly cheap lifestyle, 800 for 3 days sounds ridiculous to me. Though it all depends on your income I suppose.

I think I'm about halfway through Wrestle kingdom 11, and I get the feeling the real show is only just about to start. Should be finished watching it sometime this weekend. I do not have the patience to do it in 1-2 sittings.

Top Bottom