• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

Mahonay

Banned
Jinder workout videos are the bomb.

9V0aWwu.jpg

giphy.gif

Wrestling is niche. Boxing isn't.

And yet this and the MMA thread never fail to talk about "boxing's dead". It's been a trend I've seen for years. Wonder how that argument will continue when the best mixed martial artist on the planet retires after having one boxing match that pays him more than the largest MMA company ever paid all its champs combined

Mahonay

Banned
And yet this and the MMA thread never fail to talk about "boxing's dead". It's been a trend I've seen for years. Wonder how that argument will continue when the best mixed martial artist on the planet retires after having one boxing match that pays him more than the largest MMA company ever paid all its champs combined
MMA and wrestling fans are both idiots.

Kaladin

I think people gravitate towards boxing because A) it has a long history, B) it's real, and it's stories are real, C) it's simple. Ain't nothin' more simple than two guys punching each other for a few rounds. Wrestling is fake, we know it and love it, many people can't wrap their heads around watching a fake sport with fake stories. MMA can be real, but it is much more complicated than boxing and hasn't produced as many house hold names that people can universally rally behind. Both have a shaky and carny history.

Heroman

Banned
Lol what? The sheer number of PPV buys for big boxing fights would tell you otherwise I'd think? Wrestling doesn't attract the mass audience anywhere on that level.

I don't know actual numbers though.
Tell me one big fight out of the Floyd V Pacquiao fight, that you have heard of?

Tell me one big fight out of the Floyd V Pacquiao fight, that you have heard of?

Mayweather/De La Hoya, in 2002, got 2.4 mil PPV buys and generated 136 million dollars revenue

Both records nothing in sports ever came close to beating until Mayweather/Pacquiao beat it a decade later

The man has been responsible for over 19.5 million PPV purchases and $1.3 billion revenue in his lifetime, and that's not counting the fight coming up. Also records nobody else in any sport, and no other sport, has ever come close to achieving

Kaladin

Boxing is weird. Day to day boxing isn't what I would call popular. It is very niche and only hardcore fans watch. But sign a big name fight and put it in MSG or somewhere? Millions upon millions tune in to that shit and eat it up.

Mahonay

Banned
Our own boxing thread on NeoGAF has only one community in the past 10 years. Boxing ain't popular.
Lol yeah NeoGAF, the site specifically for niche fandom, is the perfect thing to use for measuring world wide popularity.

Jesus Heroman WTF are you doing

Toki767

Skipped out on virtually everything WWE related this week to follow E3 stuff other than seeing that they ended a 2 out of 3 falls match on Raw with a double countout.

And I watched the Joe/Lesnar thing at the beginning.

Did I miss anything of importance? I'm guessing no.

tm24

We have two OTs for wrestling multiple times a year and threads in OT, wrestling must be super popular and have the highest rated shows on television!

Kaladin

Skipped out on virtually everything WWE related this week to follow E3 stuff other than seeing that they ended a 2 out of 3 falls match on Raw with a double countout.

And I watched the Joe/Lesnar thing at the beginning.

Did I miss anything of importance? I'm guessing no.

Lol, they ended 2 / 3 falls with a double countout? 50 / 50 at it's finest.

I think I'm going to adapt this into a new GWF gimmick for Heroman. Could make some solid merch off of this

NICHE 3:16

"Niche 3:16 swears any day now Kenny Omega will hold a world title!"

Gonna sound weird in 2030 when it still hasn't happened and also he's 46 and retired

Tall4Life

This discussion is pointless in the end as we all know that THE BIG DOG would ANNIHILATE any of these boxing marks

AND YOU CAN BELEE DAT UCE, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Egg0

Banned
Boxing is weird. Day to day boxing isn't what I would call popular. It is very niche and only hardcore fans watch. But sign a big name fight and put it in MSG or somewhere? Millions upon millions tune in to that shit and eat it up.

Yea I kinda agree. I'd see random fights or events pop up on ESPN and even the stuff advertised on Showtime and go "meh." Then there's next level big name fights that come up and people are talking about it on FB and people on my twitter timeline are talking about it.

Note that I'm a fairly casual watcher of boxing sooo.
Also there's no question that boxing brings in more money than wrestling ever could.

Boxing is generally viewed to be in a recession right now and big boxing matches still pull in bigger audiences than WWE.

Klitschko/Joshua this year had higher attendance in Wembley than any boxing and wrestling event in the country in almost a century, in addition to what you said earlier about the PPV buys (which exceeded by more than double how many have the Network there)

Kaladin

HS1002.jpg

So you weren't down with yourself day one? You came in sometime around day one-ish?

Or it this shirt commenting on the fact that no one was down with the Usos until they started their heal run and actually started wrestling decent matches?

klonere

Banned
Boxing has been given a place in the American and therefore, Western cultural pantheon. It's had so many incredible pieces of media made about it, a rich history of formalized coverage, era defining moments.

It's clearly not as big as it once was, but cache like that does not evaporate because some guys with awful tattoos thought that Inoki was on to something. It endures because your average man in the street understands the drama and emotion involved in a big boxing fight.

Kaladin

Remember when Vince had to bring in a boxer to stand in the ring with Austin and get more mainstream appeal?

Except Tyson actually got wrestling and did it right.

Remember when Vince had to bring in a boxer to fight at Wrestlemania to try and get boxing PPV money?

I will admit, Floyd got wrestling right too, but still....he was a bit more carny than Tyson.

Except Tyson actually got wrestling and did it right.

Remember when Vince had to bring in a boxer to fight at Wrestlemania to try and get boxing PPV money?

I will admit, Floyd got wrestling right too, but still....he was a bit more carny than Tyson.
Floyd vs Big Show was carny as fuck and was great.

Top Bottom