• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

Sephzilla

Regarding heels - part of the problem these days is that the audience is so tired of boring characters that they'll simply cheer for anyone who's simply entertaining, regardless of if they're the hero or villain in a storyline. They're not going to boo the only character that makes the story engaging at this point.

I think people have been so conditioned to WWE ignoring what the fans want that they desperately want to cheer anybody that they want to see, whereas people in the Attitude era were happy to boo compelling villains like the Rock, HHH, and the Undertaker. Another major difference is that the work rate has never been better while the stories and promos are mostly stale and boring, so the only thing fans can cheer for is who can put on the best matches. Also, faces are so watered down that it's harder to get behind them in a way that somebody trying to foil then would draw boos. AJ and KO are great heels, but they can't really get booed if they don't have a compelling face fighting against them. It's a shame that CM Punk had an ego problem and Daniel Bryan got hurt because they were the only 2 wrestlers since John Cena to actually have a shot at becoming the face of the brand while still being embraced by the fans.

Heroman

Banned
People have always cheer heels, I mean Ric Flair was love by everyone in nwa and WCW.
Then there are people like Ray Stevens who was a mega heel but was cheer pretty regularly.

Cagey

Banned
Besides Miz leaning too far into "smarky insider reference that makes a segment of the crowd laugh or think he's cool" schtick, he does his damnedest to remain a full on villain to earn boos and hatred for being a villain.

But he still gets his share of "you're so cool and doing such a good job" cheers.

Booing doesn't make someone a good heel.

Booing, displeasure, hatred, heat, whatever isn't sufficient to make a good heel but it's necessary.

If your villain is getting cheered, he's not the villain. If your villain isn't getting any reaction at all, he's not good at whatever he's doing.

I don't think its possible for current WWE to create a compelling heel champion.

Only way they can go is groan heat like Ellsworth as champion.

The question was a set-up of sorts because I agree with this.

The biggest heels in WWE are playing on the crowd in some manner: the performer "doesn't deserve it", the performer is "booking badly/strongly/etc.", the performer is "favored by management", the performer is embodying some old racial trope that some in the crowd react genuinely on and some hate the trope, the crowd wants the performer to go away, etc.

Jinder hits multiples there.

Charlotte was probably the best truest damn heel in WWE to earn some hate from the crowd for her character and performance, not the meta-issues.

I'm generally happy that some of the old guard has left. WrassleGAF is a healthier much less toxic place. Don't have to worry about people derailing conversations with concern trolling or the like anymore.

You say that as you feel like you've moved up the ladder and become the new locker room leader. I see you politicking!

Sephzilla

You say that as you feel like you've moved up the ladder and become the new locker room leader. I see you politicking!

look-at-me-im-the-captain-now-meme-funny-2.jpg

Foggy

The traditional heel/face paradigm just feels like a fiasco to pursue for a pedestrian reward. It's not like it would make thimgs demonstrably better. It's just one of many ways to tell a story.

Neville's still the best heel in the company. He's the most entertaining worker in his division and can still get the crowd behind his opponents no matter who they are on a show that struggles to get any kind of response from the crowd. It's a shame he's not a foot taller.

Heroman

Banned
Booing, displeasure, hatred, heat, whatever isn't sufficient to make a good heel but it's necessary.

If your villain is getting cheered, he's not the villain. If your villain isn't getting any reaction at all, he's not good at whatever he's doing.

s.
Naw, a good heel isn't someone who gets booed a good heel is someone who gets a baby face over , that all they are there for. Like a heel can get a baby face reaction all the time but as long as they get the face over the are a great heel.

WWE has to give some kind of payoff for booing the heel if they want fans to boo the heel. There's no reward involved in booing Mark Henry for tricking John Cena into thinking Mark's retiring.

Conversely, there's zero incentive to cheer for a Roman Reigns.

Fans cheer/boo regardless of what they're "supposed" to do because if there's no reason to do otherwise they are going to give their genuine opinion of the performer. The audience gets no benefit from playing along, and can in fact be disincentivized from doing so because if you start cheering Roman because you're supposed to, you're just going to get more Roman.

Cagey

Banned
Naw, a good heel isn't someone who gets booed a good heel is someone who gets a baby face over , that all they are there for. Like a heel can get a baby face reaction all the time but as long as they get the face over the are a great heel.

A "good" heel who gets cheered today isn't going to get a face over when the face eventually prevails because the crowd is favoring the heel, wants the heel to win, will get annoyed when the face they dislike wins at the expense of the now "buried" heel, etc.

Bray Wyatt is the shining example.

Anth0ny

it's also hard to boo heels when they keep being put in sympathetic positions. like miz on monday.

the babyfaces, more often than not, are booked like unlikable douches.

Sephzilla

it's also hard to boo heels when they keep being put in sympathetic positions. like miz on monday.

the babyfaces, more often than not, are booked like unlikable douches.

Plus the default response these days for any babyface being verbally called out by a heel is to sucker punch the heel.

lLCDfv1.gif

Like, why would you cheer for a guy who fucking sucker punches people? The only guy who could do that and really get away with it was Austin

Kaladin

Started American Gods. I'm a few episodes in. The show is so close to the book. Ian McShane's Mr. Wednesday is the closest any TV show has got to how I imagined a character in my head.

So far, I highly recommend this series.

Heroman

Banned
A "good" heel who gets cheered today isn't going to get a face over when the face eventually prevails because the crowd is favoring the heel, wants the heel to win, will get annoyed when the face they dislike wins at the expense of the now "buried" heel, etc.

Bray Wyatt is the shining example.
Naito got juice Robinson over in one match and he is more popular then any heel in the WWE or like the Sasha vs bayley match from takeover made bayley into the a huge baby face in NXT. The problem with WWE is that they are incapable of making baby faces.

Also
"will get annoyed when the face they dislike wins at the expense of the now "buried" heel"

If the fan don't like a face then the promotion shouldn't push them, no heel in wreslting can make fans like someone they don't like.

Top Bottom