• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

miserable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxL-RQGQvc

giphy.gif

More potential ammo for the #FiveYears club:

https://twitter.com/BensonRichardE/status/880033069952053248

"Could be interesting for WWE rights. Sky splitting off to cheaper standalone channels. WWE grouped with Rugby/Tennis on "Sky Sports Arena"

Football will get two dedicated channels, cricket and golf will join F1 as standalone platforms, while Sky Sports Arena will show other sports such as rugby, tennis and wrestling.

Broughton also suggests that by having genre-themed sports channels each will effectively act as a ”profit and loss" account for the popularity of each sport and therefore what the rights are really worth to Sky.

For example, tennis is not thought to have its own dedicated sports channel in the new set-up. It is understood that the TV rights tender for the US Open and ATP Tennis Tour has just been issued.

The new strategy could signal that Sky, which last year dropped its coverage of the US Open tennis tournament after 25 years, may have determined it will not look to offer a huge bid to renew the ATP Tennis Tour rights."

On the other hand, if Arena proves to be a cheap channel, viewership could always go up if you just wanted to watch WWE but didn't want to pay 50+ pounds a month mostly for football.

I generally hate the "separate the artist from the art" excuse, but as long as he keeps it out of the ring i think it applies

I think so too, I guess. I mean, I am bisexual and have mainly dated other guys over the last few years so the cunt can go fuck himself and I wont buy any of his merch etc. But I still enjoy what he does in the ring. Its a difficult position.

Look who runs WWE. Its a bit of a pickle.

Not for me. Being a minority I can't be liking bigots

I generally dislike it because even if they're not portraying it, you're still cheering them on which is giving them a wider platform reach. Especially in the age of social media the larger the following outside of the product/art the more reach their personal brand can have.

ReiGun

Sami seems legit nice. I don't know enough to say the same about Owens/ DDP. Even if they are, that is still only 3 out of 100's of people.
I prefer to assume best intentions with things like this. I know we say the wrestling business is full of scummy people, but you could say that about a lot of businesses. I'm not gonna say any one person is trash until they give me reason to.

AJ, unfortunately, is one of the ones who has given reason to say he ain't shit.

It's absurd that the wreslters have to carry the briefcase with them

https://twitter.com/CarmellaWWE/status/879910674209546241

Lol got poor Mella out here looking dumb as hell.

"Could be interesting for WWE rights. Sky splitting off to cheaper standalone channels. WWE grouped with Rugby/Tennis on "Sky Sports Arena"

Football will get two dedicated channels, cricket and golf will join F1 as standalone platforms, while Sky Sports Arena will show other sports such as rugby, tennis and wrestling.

Broughton also suggests that by having genre-themed sports channels each will effectively act as a “profit and loss” account for the popularity of each sport and therefore what the rights are really worth to Sky.

For example, tennis is not thought to have its own dedicated sports channel in the new set-up. It is understood that the TV rights tender for the US Open and ATP Tennis Tour has just been issued.

The new strategy could signal that Sky, which last year dropped its coverage of the US Open tennis tournament after 25 years, may have determined it will not look to offer a huge bid to renew the ATP Tennis Tour rights."

On the other hand, if Arena proves to be a cheap channel, viewership could always go up if you just wanted to watch WWE but didn't want to pay 50+ pounds a month mostly for football.

Even if you watch a lot of WWE, Sky is fecking useless anyway. WWE put everything on their Youtube channel, so every UK fan is better off watching that instead of staying up until 4am.

So Naomi got the jobber entrance, right before break, despite being the champ. smdh

It's good to know WWE is basing their champions entirely on hype entrances because that's all that Naomi has going for her.

And people really believe this?

Given how much current WWE is parallel to WCW 99-01, yes. I'm listening to the audiobook version of Death of WCW and some of the shit so far is comical in how WWE is doing the same. The ONLY reason they're still going is there is 0 competition.

Beefy

I prefer to assume best intentions with things like this. I know we say the wrestling business is full of scummy people, but you could say that about a lot of businesses. I'm not gonna say any one person is trash until they give me reason to.

AJ, unfortunately, is one of the ones who has given reason to say he ain't shit.

I'm the other way round. People got to prove they aren't a bigot/ twat etc. That way I don't get disappointed when they act like Randy, AJ and even the rock

Anth0ny

Broughton also suggests that by having genre-themed sports channels each will effectively act as a “profit and loss” account for the popularity of each sport and therefore what the rights are really worth to Sky.

y2ohA.gif

Given how much current WWE is parallel to WCW 99-01, yes. I'm listening to the audiobook version of Death of WCW and some of the shit so far is comical in how WWE is doing the same. The ONLY reason they're still going is there is 0 competition.

I can see the parallel with 99-01 WCW but I do think the complete lack of competition will keep them around long after five years. Hopefully to a point that they get their shit together.

I do think they are going to have to downscale their product at some point though. Probably within the next five years. I guess TV renewal will be the big concern as well.

ColbertHermanCainSmile.jif

Anth0ny

I can see the parallel with 99-01 WCW but I do think the complete lack of competition will keep them around long after five years. Hopefully to a point that they get their shit together.

I do think they are going to have to downscale their product at some point though. Probably within the next five years. I guess TV renewal will be the big concern as well.

Proteus

Welcome to team #5years

ENJOY THE RIDE MOTHERFUCKER

ReiGun

I'm the other way round. People got to prove they aren't a bigot/ twat etc. That way I don't get disappointed when they act like Randy, AJ and even the rock

That's valid. I guess I just don't get disappointed anymore. It's more just like, "Yup. That's about what I'd expect."

Which may make me more cynical than I originally thought I was. lol

Jamie OD

What is the #FiveYears thing exactly?

WWE will be off the air in five years?

I think it's referring to the length of WWE's current deal with Sky. It was signed in 2014 and expected to finish in 2019.

Except in this situation WWE is making money while WCW was losing it. Ignore the storytelling and booking, WWE today is far, far, far healthier as a business than WCW was during the Monday Night War.

I think it's referring to the length of WWE's current deal with Sky. It was signed in 2014 and expected to finish in 2019.

Except in this situation WWE is making money while WCW was losing it. Ignore the storytelling and booking, WWE today is far, far, far healthier as a business than WCW was during the Monday Night War.

WCW went from the top to dead in a dramtically fast time. There were other factors involved but who knows what will happen?
the answer is Anth0ny

Anth0ny

It's all bullshit though.

the money they're making now will be but a faint memory when they lose tv, network subscribers plummet and they run out of part timers to bring back each year, leaving them with a full time roster of jabroni geeks.

they're clinging to the past right now, and it's about to blow up in their face big time. within the next... 5 years, even.

XenoRaven

What's the criteria here for #5years? Completely dead? No longer publicly traded? No longer on cable TV?

Keep in mind that while WCW was in a bad place, they were purchased by a competitor. There is no competitor that can purchase WWE and absorb their brand and their talent.

I was going to comment that WWE is still making profit, but there is no way it's sustainable long term given the level of production and shows they do. Right now the closest to WCW is them singing up a huge amount of talent, with no where to put them while also bringing in celebrities and doing large scale productions.

It's only a matter of time before they have to cut out the "original" programming on Network, and reduce the venues for live events. I can't imagine what their production costs are for RAW & Smackdown, let alone Mania.

I'd be perfectly ok with going back to a big Four (or Five) and treating every other PPV more like in-your-house.

What's the criteria here for #5years? Completely dead? No longer publicly traded? No longer on cable TV?

Keep in mind that while WCW was in a bad place, they were purchased by a competitor. There is no competitor that can purchase WWE and absorb their brand and their talent.

WCW wasn't in a bad place until 00/01, but 96-99 they were absolutely riding high. WWE is not in 00/01 territory but they're' definitely in the 98/99 territory where ratings are serviceable, people are buying PPV's but the talent is not being used in a way to make fans happy.

Kaladin

So I tried the pilot for the actual GLOW series on Youtube last night....good lord that was bad. It's one of those things that is so bad it's entertaining how bad it is, and you can't stop watching because you want to see how bad it gets. Are there any matches worth watching for GLOW or is this the reason to watch?

Top Bottom