• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Break Out Naan And Do The Needful, It's Time For MaharaJEEEEEZUSS

Sephzilla

shoot:

the worst thing that ever happened to video games was the hd generation

longer dev cycles = higher, unrealistic expectations from fans = impossible standards to reach (not to mention insane budgets for games and ridiculous sales numbers required to turn a profit)

square is easily the poster boy with their fucking 10 year dev cycles for games crossing multiple generations

MEANWHILE IN THE 90s...

FF7 - 1997
FF8 - 1999
FF9 - 2000
FF10 - 2001

fuck me. was hd really worth it kids?

Look at how many Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, and Halo games came out in the HD era. Also

Demon's Souls - 2009
Dark Souls - 2011
Dark Souls 2 - 2014
Bloodborne - 2015
Dark Souls 3 - 2016

And these games were made by a developer that most people don't consider a AAA team

HD had nothing to do with it, SquareEnix just became a badly managed company after the PS2 era closed up shop. See also: Capcom

Tried to watch Dark Side of Oz
Shit was 2spoopy4me
shoot:

longer dev cycles = higher, unrealistic expectations from fans = impossible standards to reach (not to mention insane budgets for games and ridiculous sales numbers required to turn a profit)

square is easily the poster boy with their fucking 10 year dev cycles for games crossing multiple generations

MEANWHILE IN THE 90s...

FF7 - 1997
FF8 - 1999
FF9 - 2000
FF10 - 2001

Yes. Bloodborne should have taken longer and not perform like shit at launch.

Console gaming peaked with the PS2 generation, it's been a long slide downhill ever since.

Agreed

shoot:

MEANWHILE IN THE 90s...

FF7 - 1997
FF8 - 1999
FF9 - 2000
FF10 - 2001

Nope, and it could never be

Anth0ny

tumblr_myhqrspQq21shf9jmo1_400.gif

Ronin Ray

Mix race in the African American community is a complex that if more about we can continue in the PM. As for the rock he doesn't really talk about his race especially now in any serious conversation.

The rock has never shied away from being a black man as far as I know. But yeah this is getting into another can of worms. So it's best to just leave it there.

Lots of companies are avoiding E3 now the show has gone downhill for years now. I applaud Nintendo for trying to avoid it. Activision left last year but looks like they have a booth this year they probably cut them a deal to comeback.

Sephzilla

Nintendo avoids E3 because the idea of anything remotely resembling corporate competition scares the ever living piss out of them. They never recovered from the backhand the PS2 game them

Yesterday, 2:40 PM:
https://twitter.com/PrideOfMexico/status/871798782366810112
Alberto El Patron ✔ @PrideOfMexico
Come check out me in Scotland for my first show there on the independents! Can't wait to see you… https://www.instagram.com/p/BU9-DF3gCWM/

Today, 1:47 PM:
https://www.facebook.com/ProWrestlingEllite/posts/1488681411207370
***BREAKING NEWS - MAJOR CHANGE TO JULY EVENTS***
It is with regret we have to inform our fans that Alberto El Patron will no longer be appearing at our 6 Year Anniversary weekend of events on Friday and Saturday the 21st and 22nd of July.
It is due to various factors that we are unable to bring you the advertised appearance and match with Alberto, and for this we are very sorry. We would like to wish Alberto El Patron well, and hope that we may be able to work with him in the future.
Please be assured we are working round the clock to bring you suitable changes to combat this disappointment and we kindly ask your patience and understanding at this time.
Thank you.

That's gotta be a fucking record for Quickest Announcement and Drop

Anth0ny

i generally agree with your sentiment around this point, but would argue that higher costs put a stop to publishers and, in turn, devs taking risks. Now it's a race to see who makes the next big hit and then have the rest copy the formula . Open world games come to mind.

Basically.

I see costs go up, sales expectations go up, dev time go up... but where's game quality? How many games from last gen or current gen top their SD gen predecessors?

Now think about how many games/devs have becomes straight up UNVIABLE in a market dominated by either AAAA fuckfests or mobile shit free games with nothing in between?

Look at how many Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, and Halo games came out in the HD era.

well, annual shit out of my asshole games have always been a thing, and the hd gen hasn't stopped that process, I guess.

but...

Also

Demon's Souls - 2009
Dark Souls - 2011
Dark Souls 2 - 2014
Bloodborne - 2015
Dark Souls 3 - 2016

And these games were made by a developer that most people don't consider a AAA team

HD had nothing to do with it, SquareEnix just became a badly managed company after the PS2 era closed up shop.

there's a few exceptions to the rule, sure ;)

post PS2 gen has become a complete shit show imo. i've come to peace with it, but it's still sad to see. also funny that I stumble across games from before my time on the SNES and NES that can blow me away in 2017 more than AAA games with 90s on metacritic.

There is 8 year gap between Lltp and oot, long development times have always been apart of video games.

well ignoring the most revolutionary video game of all time after super mario bros, lets look at the other zelda games:

zelda 1 - 1987
zelda 2 - 1988
lttp - 1991
oot - 1998
mm - 2000
ww - 2003
tp - 2006

then nintendo became assholes:

ss - 2011
botw - 2017

can't wait for the next console zelda in 2026

Tagyhag

Come check out me in Scotland for my first show there on the independents! Can't wait to see you… https://www.instagram.com/p/BU9-DF3gCWM/

Haha are you fucking serious.

He HAS to be trolling.

jmdajr

post PS2 gen has become a complete shit show imo. i've come to peace with it, but it's still sad to see. also funny that I stumble across games from before my time on the SNES and NES that can blow me away in 2017 more than AAA games with 90s on metacritic.

I don't have a lot of time for games these days. Once in awhile I finally have a movement, sit down, and see there is an update file.

What? 1 hour download time? Turns off PS4*

Cagey

Banned
I finished Persona 5 in 116 hours on hard until the very end.

The game felt like a god damn chore 2/3rds of the time like Andromeda. These games need an editor FFS.

Sephzilla

Basically.

I see costs go up, sales expectations go up, dev time go up... but where's game quality? How many games from last gen or current gen top their SD gen predecessors?

Now think about how many games/devs have becomes straight up UNVIABLE in a market dominated by either AAAA fuckfests or mobile shit free games with nothing in between?

well, annual shit out of my asshole games have always been a thing, and the hd gen hasn't stopped that process, I guess.

but...

there's a few exceptions to the rule, sure ;)

The only two major developer/publisher companies that really went to shit after the HD jump were Capcom and SquareEnix, and those have very little to do with the jump to HD and have more to do with poor management. Square started going to shit after the merger with Enix happened (which predates the HD era) and Capcom's management issues can be heavily traced back to Keiji Inafune and his "west is best" attitude he developed before leaving the company. A lot of the other big time developers out there really weren't impacted that much by the jump to HD because better management allowed them to adapt to the changes in the industry. Arguing that the HD era somehow collectively hurt the industry as a whole is like trying to argue that the shift from 2D to 3D hurt the industry.

Also, you just argued against annual "shit out my asshole games" but then are simultaneously complaining that we aren't getting annual Zelda or Final Fantasy games anymore

Heroman

Banned

Some of the greatest game ever came out after the PS2.

jmdajr

The only two major developer/publisher companies that really went to shit after the HD jump were Capcom and SquareEnix, and those have very little to do with the jump to HD and have more to do with poor management. Square started going to shit after the merger with Enix happened and Capcom's management issues can be heavily traced back to Keiji Inafune and his "west is best" attitude he developed before leaving the company.

Capcom output for 360 era was pretty consistent. You got Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Marvel vs Capcom, Dead Rising. You even got 2d Bionic Commando and Strider.

If you didn't like the games that's different. They threw you a bone very often and they looked good.

Sephzilla

Capcom output for 360 era was pretty consistent. You got Resident Evil, Street Fighter, DMC, Lost Planet, Marvel vs Capcom, Dead Rising. You even got 2d Bionic Commando and Strider.

If you didn't like the games that's different. They threw you a bone very often.

PS360 era Capcom was pretty good until roughly 2008/2009, thats when they started doing the excessive outsourcing which cost them tons of money.

I finished Persona 5 in 116 hours on hard until the very end.

The game felt like a god damn chore 2/3rds of the time like Andromeda. These games need an editor FFS.

It's a common theme.

Gravity Rush 1, which I love to death, was a 7-9 hr adventure.

I'm playing through 2 right now and I'm over the 10 hr mark and at Chp 9. There are close to 30 chapters.

miserable

HD gen also standardized the idea that shiny grafix>performance. just look at how 60fps is a rarity. even stable 30fps is not something that should be expected nowadays

meanwhile the PS2 had the largest amount of 60fps games

Del Rio cancels or no shows more bookings then he attends them.

jmdajr

PS360 era Capcom was pretty good until roughly 2008/2009, thats when they started doing the excessive outsourcing which cost them tons of money.

Bionic Commando 3D and such had problems. Still, I consider them one of the best Japanese developers despite the issues. You even got Dragon Dogma.

Heroman

Banned
HD gen also standardized the idea that shiny grafix>performance. just look at how 60fps is a rarity. even stable 30fps is not something that should be expected nowadays

meanwhile the PS2 had the largest amount of 60fps games
What? No , that stuff has been happening since like the NES era, no wait before that.

Anth0ny

The only two major developer/publisher companies that really went to shit after the HD jump were Capcom and SquareEnix, and those have very little to do with the jump to HD and have more to do with poor management. Square started going to shit after the merger with Enix happened (which predates the HD era) and Capcom's management issues can be heavily traced back to Keiji Inafune and his "west is best" attitude he developed before leaving the company. A lot of the other big time developers out there really weren't impacted that much by the jump to HD because better management allowed them to adapt to the changes in the industry. Arguing that the HD era somehow collectively hurt the industry as a whole is like trying to argue that the shift from 2D to 3D hurt the industry.

Also, developers not being able to shit out an RPG or Zelda game every 9 months is good for the industry and consumers.

nothing good about developers needing a fuckzillion dollars and 7 years of dev time to make an okay game when it used to take them a year and much lower budget to make an awesome game.

and i'd argue damn near everyone went to shit with the hd transition, especially japanese devs. not to the extent that square and capcpom did, but they struggled nonetheless.

a lot of the games I enjoyed in the sd gens straight up don't get made anymore (dev out of business/making said game no longer makes sense economically), or take forever to make and end up being shit/just okay.

of course there are exceptions, but that's just what they are, exceptions. sd days were an embarrassment of riches.

Cagey

Banned
It's a common theme.

Gravity Rush 1, which I love to death, was a 7-9 hr adventure.

I'm playing through 2 right now and I'm over the 10 hr mark and at Chp 9. There are close to 30 chapters.
I didn't even do anything extra or grind levels in this game, and by the end I tried to finish battles in the shortest manner possible out of total boredom with the combat and it still hit 116.

And God knows how many hours were lost due to game overs. Probably an extra 15.

Fully completing FFXV with all the endgame dungeons and hunts and platinum trophy and other non-platinum completions things only took me 90!

Sephzilla

nothing good about developers needing a fuckzillion dollars and 7 years of dev time to make an okay game when it used to take them a year and much lower budget to make an awesome game.

and i'd argue damn near everyone went to shit with the hd transition, especially japanese devs. not to the extent that square and capcpom did, but they struggled nonetheless.

a lot of the games I enjoyed in the sd gens straight up don't get made anymore (dev out of business/making said game no longer makes sense economically), or take forever to make and end up being shit/just okay.

of course there are exceptions, but that's just what they are, exceptions. sd days were an embarrassment of riches.

The only devs that need that much time and money are devs with really poor management. Again: Capcom and SquareEnix are generally the biggest offenders of this in recent times. There have been tons of really solid games that have come out with decent dev cycles with budgets that are actually reasonable. You never hear about through the roof budgets for Nintendo games, you only here those stories from companies with shit management.

If anything, the PS2 era is where your blame should really be focused because that's the era that caused the industry to explode in size and popularity and with that opened the door for a lot of people with really poor business and management skills to get footholds in companies.

Hasney

Booby Roode, Nikki Cross and Mark Andrews visited a fan who was injured in the manchester attack:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/girl-8-injured-manchester-arena-13146955

Thats nice of them and the 8 year old girl is almost as tall as Nikki Cross.

Sure, she's a wrestling fan as her dad stands there in a Kevin Owens shirt. She's probably barely seen it and he just wanted wrasslers!

Weird though, is that girl like the most photogenic one in the hospital or something? She's also the one that met Ariana Grande in the hospital too.

jmdajr

The only devs that need that much time and money are devs with really poor management. Again: Capcom and SquareEnix are generally the biggest offenders of this in recent times. There have been tons of really solid games that have come out with decent dev cycles with budgets that are actually reasonable. You never hear about through the roof budgets for Nintendo games.

Well no. Because they have pretty much given up being on the edge of high end anything. They make stuff within their parameters and it works. Fans also out up with whatever droughts they are given.

Booby Roode, Nikki Cross and Mark Andrews visited a fan who was injured in the manchester attack:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/girl-8-injured-manchester-arena-13146955

Thats nice of them and the 8 year old girl is almost as tall as Nikki Cross.

That's completely awesome. Awesome people.

Also Sasha Banks is awesome
Lily was also able to Facetime her favourite wrestler Sasha Banks during the visit from the WWE superstars, with Sasha promising to see Lily in person when she’s in Manchester this November.

WWE were set to hold an event at the Manchester Arena tonight but had to cancel it following the bomb attack. They decided to come to Manchester anyway to offer support in any way they could.

Ariana Grande visited her too.

The pictures are a tribute to the human spirit

Heroman

Banned
the best games on NES are 60fps ones and there are a lot of them. sure, there are slowdowns in some of them. and on SNES I can count on one hand the 30fps games

There are so many nes and SNES games that suffer from terrible slow down and Flickering and other things that it is not even funny. We remember the ones that run good.

Tom Nook

SD Live matches tonight:

– The following matches are set for tonight’s episode of WWE Smackdown…

* Kevin Owens vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
* AJ Styles vs. Dolph Ziggler
* Naomi, Becky Lynch and Charlotte vs. Tamina, Carmella and Natalya
* The New Day in Action

Sephzilla

You also need to remember that back in the days of quicker dev times and lower budgets, a lot of games released with lots of bugs that never got QA'd because of a lack of money and employees. You're viewing the pre-HD era with some pretty rose tinted glasses. Bungie's original Marathon ended up making pretty much no money because they found a system destroying bug after the game had gone gold and had to scramble at the last minute to make sure none of the manufactured copies went out.

Top Bottom