• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Alucard

Banned
Man, it's starting to sink in my interest in WWE was directly linked to my interest in Daniel Bryan. I'll still watch it and stuff, but like, last night I barely watched it, I don't really feel watching Main Event today, tho I will at some point when I have a free hour to do nothing and/or people hype about it. It's like that point on comic fandom where you stop following characters or companies and start following creators, you know? You don't care so much for Batman, but you really want to see any superhero when done by Grant Morrisson.

I'll catch up on old D-Bry's stuff; on matches with him on it on the network, stuff like that. And then I guess I'll start checking out now and then if someone I like is doing something interesting. But it feels less and less like it is worth it to sit through a three hour show and then two hour shows and then a two hour show that are endless cycles of recapping, people I don't care about and misusing the people I do care about until I stop caring anymore. It's just too much for too little.

I think I'll actually start skipping RAW and watching Superstars / Main Event more because they'll just recap the good stuff anyway. I wish a bunch of indies would band together to form their own network with a monthly subscription so I don't have to be limited to one iPPV a month. Even when I dislike WWE, 10 dollars for everything they offer still is incredible value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVR4CB78IOc

Yeah, outside of the Shield stuff and the opening promo, I barely gave a fuck last night. :-/

Sorry, bros, but I think it's time to take a break from the WWE and TNA...gonna catch up on ROH, Dragon Gate, and PWG DVDs that have been sitting on my shelf for a while.

New page.
ddpyoga1.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Results from the two latest ROH shows, entitled "Road to Best in the World." Bolded parts are interesting to me.

ROH ROAD TO BEST IN THE WORLD: Night 1
June 6, 2014
Carbondale, IL

- Tommaso Ciampa defeated Ethan Gabriel Owens

- 6 Man Scramble For An ROH Title Shot: Cedric Alexander vs. Silas Young vs. Matt Taven vs. ACH vs. Kyle O'Reilly vs. Caprice Coleman-
ACH pinned Cedric Alexander after a distraction from The Decade to earn an ROH World Championship match later on in the evening.

- Bobby Fish defeated The Romantic Touch by submission

The Briscoes defeated The Decade's BJ Whitmer & Tadarius Thomas

-Jay Lethal and Truth Martini issued an open challenge for the ROH World Television Championship. Former Hoopla Hottie Selezyia answered the challenge, but she laid down for Lethal giving him the easy victory and confirming her alliance with Lethal and Martini. Cheeseburger then came to the ring wanting an opportunity. Lethal claimed that he would do Cheeseburger a "favor" and challenged Cheeseburger to a championship match. Jay Lethal defeated Cheeseburger after a low blow. Matt Taven made the save after the match and fought off the House of Truth.

-In a special attraction, Delirious made his ROH in ring return!
Michael Bennett w/ Maria Kanellis defeated Delirious

"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin defeated Jimmy Jacobs after a brutal powerbomb on to the floor!

- ROH World Championship: Adam Cole successfully retained his title against ACH. ACH earned the opportunity by winning the 6 man match earlier in the night.

ROH ROAD TO BEST IN THE WORLD: Night 2
June 7, 2014
Collinsville, IL

- Ethan Gabriel Owens defeated Zizou Middoux

-Cedric Alexander defeated Tadarius Thomas (w/ Jimmy Jacobs)

-Caprice Coleman defeated BJ Whitmer. After the match, The Decade attacked Coleman, but Cedric Alexander ran them off with a chair.

- Proving Ground Match for the ROH World TV Title: Jay Lethal was scheduled to face The Romantic Touch. Lethal didn't take the match too seriously and chose to compete in his suit rather than his wrestling gear. The Romantic Touch assaulted Lethal and stripped him of his clothing. Lethal eventually pulled the mask off The Romantic Touch and revealed it to actually be Matt Taven! Matt Taven defeated Jay Lethal giving him the upper hand in their championship match at BEST IN THE WORLD.

-"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Michael Bennett (w/ Maria Kanellis) started off as a singles match until Bennett grabbed a steel chair. Elgin challenged Bennett to a no disqualification match. The match degenerated into chaos as chairs and guardrails entered the equation. Before Elgin could powerbomb Bennett onto a steel guardrail, World Champion Adam Cole interfered and hit Elgin with the title. He and
Bennett restrained Elgin to the ropes by tying his wrists. Cole took out a pair of scissors and cut off Elgin's trademark mullet while he was restrained. Cole then continued to shave the head of Elgin. Before he could blast him in the head with a steel chair, Elgin's wife MsChif hit the ring. Cole applied a Figure 4 leg lock to MsChif, injuring her leg, as Elgin had to watch on in horror. MsChif was taken to a nearby hospital as Elgin stayed by her side.

- "The Last Real Man" Silas Young defeated ACH

- ROH World Championship: Adam Cole retained against "The Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa

- ROH World Tag Team Championship: reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) successfully defended their titles against The Briscoes.

--------------------------

Looking forward to pics of Elgin with a shaved head. And I had no idea MsChif was his wife.

Also, Hoopla hotties are making a comeback? I'm okay with that.

Alucard

Banned
I dunno, guaranteed title changes are always good for getting me interested.

Same. I just hope they don't go with Del Rio just to swerve us. They need to go with predictable here...and predictable would be Seth Rollins. Well, super predictable would be John Cena, but I think what would make the most storyline sense would be Rollins. Summerslam could look like this:

-Rollins (c) vs. Bryan
-Cesaro vs. Brock
-Cena vs. Rusev
-Reigns vs. HHH
-Usos vs. Rybaxel
-Sheamus vs. Barrett
-Paige vs. AJ
-Ambrose vs. Orton

Yay or nay? Just wondering what The Wyatts would be doing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When he's not in the SWAT gear, Rollins looks tiny.
tumblr_n6xn0cn8xg1rmvjexo1_500.jpg

That spot protection(nevermind the fact that he didn't get pinned or submitted due to him being out from doing some New Jack dive earlier in the match)

Sblargh

Banned
I still go with Bray getting the title and just defending it with Harper and Rowan circling the ring, so it's not a matter of skills and face of the company and worthy champion or nothing like that. Pure sports entertainment storyline where someone keeps the belt despiste not being the best because of outside interference.

If only Bray was at his pre-Cena spot. Having just defeated Bryan and giving The Shield a hell of a time. Then you get to a point where any of babyfaces have to get the title out of this freaking cult leader who could beat Bryan even without his followers.

But nope, we can't have good things.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kind of amazing that WWE had booked two super stables at the same time while making all of the members look strong.

How often does that happen?

Yeah, I see them giving it to someone to either test the waters or just as a token gesture until hunting season ends and Brock season begins.

It's going back to Bryan, because he is facing Brock at Summerslam. What happens there, I don't know. But the plan for later in the year still is Bryan being champion in the fall.

I still go with Bray getting the title and just defending it with Harper and Rowan circling the ring, so it's not a matter of skills and face of the company and worthy champion or nothing like that. Pure sports entertainment storyline where someone keeps the belt despiste not being the best because of outside interference.

If only Bray was at his pre-Cena spot. Having just defeated Bryan and giving The Shield a hell of a time. Then you get to a point where any of babyfaces have to get the title out of this freaking cult leader who could beat Bryan even without his followers.

But nope, we can't have good things.

Kind of amazing that WWE had booked two super stables at the same time while making all of the members look strong.

John_Cena_def_Bray_Wyatt.gif

Sblargh

Banned

It was an accident. They were booking The Shield to look weak and to break up. Just like this whole Bryan thing, WWE fails upward.

They have a shitty plan and when it backfires, something good comes out of it.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B

Well that was confusing. I apparently did these out of order. Clash XIX was apparently taped before Beach Blast and aired afterward. During Beach Blast they kept talking about the NWA tag tournament starting up "on Tuesday night" or some such nonsense and I was all like "uhh... I just saw that... right?" So after using THE INTERNET, I figured out that the chronological reddit list I've been using is a bit wonky. So I've gone ahead and put these in aired date order, because that's how wrasslin' works, am I right?

Anyway, Beach Blast '92 was a lot of fun. I could say a lot about it, but I'm not gonna. Mostly because I'm disappointed that stro didn't warn me about this whole taping date/airing date fiasco.

How come I have this sinking feeling that Bryan is gonna do a run-in in that MITB match and will get cheered senselessly even though as a face it wouldn't make sense?

What about Bray? Wonder if they'll do a six-man of some kind. Another Cena/Usos vs. Wyatts match?...but I kinda wanna see Cena/Rusev despite knowing how it's going to end.

Cena/Rusev just seems like the eventual endpoint. Hell, I could probably see Rusev fucking with Cena during a MiTB qualifier or match just to set it up. I imagine LANA going on about how John is the "ultimate embodiment of American arrogance" or some such shit.

Actually, now I'm just imagining LANA.

Heel

It's going back to Bryan, because he is facing Brock at Summerslam. What happens there, I don't know. But the plan for later in the year still is Bryan being champion in the fall.

That may have been the case, but I don't see how there can be any concrete plans for Daniel Bryan right now.

I'd say if Sina wins they've moved on completely. Anyone else would be seen as a belt warmer until Summer Slam. I'd welcome Cesaro vs. Brock.

Sblargh

Banned
1992 is awesome. My favorite year so far. Royal Rumble '92 is all about Ric Flair and it is amazing, Hogan feels like a sideshow attraction that only barely fucks things up.

Wrestlemania 8 is great, too, in my opinion. Shawn Michaels have a good match. Undertaker and Jake Roberts is good, too. Bret Hart and Roddy Piper surprised me how great it was. Randy Savage and Ric Flair was very good, too. And the rest was simply boring. I guess if I was there or if it was today, we would be pissed that Hogan vs Sid Justice, arguarbly the worst match of the night, got the main event. But with the power of not giving a shit about those people's future because it already happened, you can appreciate that the good is great.

And Beach Blast '92 is maybe my favorite PPV of the Network so far, with the possible exception of WM 30.

How come I have this sinking feeling that Bryan is gonna do a run-in in that MITB match and will get cheered senselessly even though as a face it wouldn't make sense?

Bryan will get cheered regardless of what he does. As he should. I don't even care how much of a fanboy I sound like when I say these things, but it's my honestly belief that everyone else dropped their balls around him since WM. D-Bry still the champion in my book and still deserves his reign.

Zach

Keep going, Zach. I'm still enjoying your simple approach to reviews. 1992 seems like a strangely good year.

Hey, cool. I appreciate that. And yeah, 1992 is legit thus far.

1992 is awesome. My favorite year so far. Royal Rumble '92 is all about Ric Flair and it is amazing, Hogan feels like a sideshow attraction that only barely fucks things up.

Wrestlemania 8 is great, too, in my opinion. Shawn Michaels have a good match. Undertaker and Jake Roberts is good, too. Bret Hart and Roddy Piper surprised me how great it was. Randy Savage and Ric Flair was very good, too. And the rest was simply boring. I guess if I was there or if it was today, we would be pissed that Hogan vs Sid Justice, arguarbly the worst match of the night, got the main event. But with the power of not giving a shit about those people's future because it already happened, you can appreciate that the good is great.

And Beach Blast '92 is maybe my favorite PPV of the Network so far, with the possible exception of WM 30.

Glad someone else enjoyed Mania VIII. Some of these scoundrels were giving me a hard time for grading it so high.

Love you, guysss.

Sblargh

Banned
This is how bummed I am with WWE: I'm actually working today. And when I get lazy like I usually do and say "nah, I'll just watch this wrestling show", I give up and go back to work. (or I post here about how I am working thus not working). I have more strenght to work than I have to watch wrestling right now.

Glad someone else enjoyed Mania VIII. Some of these scoundrels were giving me a hard time for grading it so high.

Love you, guysss.

I guess I had kind of low expectations, I saw the card and went "well, there's the Undertaker", because I did not knew that El Matador was my boy the handsome Tito Santana. And for some reason, I had no faith that Ric Flair and Piper could deliver good matches, but holy hell, they did. And as corny as it was executed, Roddy's face turn during the Bret Hart match was great. It was very well told, it's like he just gave up being evil, he just went "why am I such an asshole? Maybe I should stop being an asshole", so he did.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fave Five Tag Teams

5.The Brain Busters or Benoit & Malenko
4. Miracle Violence Connection
3. Brody & Hansen
2. Natural Disasters
1. Steiner Bros

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dolph and Rollins overdid it. Would have been better as a squash, honestly.

Top Bottom