• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

strobogo

Banned
Chael would look like a tool pretending to be a pro wrestler on a pro wrestling show. He can get away with it in MMA where most of the guys are worse talkers than Aksana and their idea of showman ship is to flash their mouth pieces while being introduced. He can't pull it off on a show with Bray Wyatt and johnsinafuck.com

Nobody likes Chael Sonnen except Chael Sonnen.

Wt4KwQ5.jpg

This makes a lot of sense.

FyreWulff

I got time, details please!

- Being out of touch with current popular culture. Wrestling is partly built off aping pop culture and making characters based off of it. When someone comes up to you with a pirate gimmick while pirates are super hot and you bury it because you don't know what it is..

- Overly obsessed with controlling and for lack of a better word, "dominating" performers. Making them kiss ass with higher ups and making them lose in their home town to remind the crowd and performer that they can't have what they want. He doesn't do it to them 100% of the time, but it's certainly a theme.

- Burying anyone when they don't work out, or burying anyone that gets up near Cena. He could have multiple top wrestlers, draws, and merch sales, but he's still working off an old era "one person at the top" mentality. I also would not bury outgoing talent, as you're pointless hurting merch and other types of sales because of personal feelings. No matter how much talent disagrees with you, keep it private, but don't bury their brand. Even Hollywood learned this already with actors and directors.

So instead of saying, letting a gimmick run it's course, if they don't like you, you get explicitly buried as a joke or jobber. It's just.. silly and shortsighted.

And all of that only-one-on-top leaves the entire business on one person's shoulders. Cena is one injury away from being unable to wrestle and a massive loss in ticket sales. If they let multiple top card talent exist and stopped feeding everyone to him, they'd train the kids and their audience that there's other wrestlers to care about.

- Killing the Fandangoing thing was another example of Vince having to "control" anything to do with the WWE. He can't just let things be organic. He has to have an explicit hand in everything.

- Yells in announcers ears to bury his own product on the screen even though the performer is showing talent.

strobogo

Banned
To be fair to Vince, he's always been that way and it has been very sucessful for him most of the time. Outside of the early-mid 90s, they've been rolling in money every year, even in down years. He's always been out of touch. He had William Shatner (pre-ironic rennasance) and Tiny Tim on Raw in 1993 and 1994. All those things you mentioned are all things that have been going on for 30 years and they've worked for him. They still work for him. There really is little reason to change it until it stops working. They've had bigger years in the 2000s than they did during the Golden Era and Attitude Era. The last 4 WMs have been the most viewed ever.

Sblargh

Banned
People here sometimes say we use smark terms incorrectly or too much, but watching shoot interviews, the wrestlers use "bury" for everything (kind of like we do). X-Pac saying that after they broke up, Chyna goes everywhere giving interviews trying to bury him for example. Cornette talks about burying in relation to creative giving people bad gimmicks for no reason other than they are idiots.

It really doesn't mean "intentionally making someone look bad by having him lose repeteadly" or anything. It seems like every time someone does anything that harms some wrestler's career, it's "burying".

Also, it works as a quick conversational term. "They are burying Bray by having him lose like that"; it may not be accurate (Bray is still on the show every week and still has fans and merch), but it sums up the feeling without miscomunication. They are making a decision that makes Bray look bad, it doesn't matter if it's because they hate him or to protect Cena or because they actually think it's a good idea for the character.

/rant

My best friend is straight edge and really bent out of shape about how people think he does it just to say he's better than everyone else. I think he's got it totally wrong. I'm going to show him some SES era CM Punk and hope he fully embraces it.

Sblargh

Banned
To be fair to Vince, he's always been that way and it has been very sucessful for him most of the time. Outside of the early-mid 90s, they've been rolling in money every year, even in down years. He's always been out of touch. He had William Shatner (pre-ironic rennasance) and Tiny Tim on Raw in 1993 and 1994. All those things you mentioned are all things that have been going on for 30 years and they've worked for him. They still work for him. There really is little reason to change it until it stops working. They've had bigger years in the 2000s than they did during the Golden Era and Attitude Era. The last 4 WMs have been the most viewed ever.

Yeah, I been going back and forth between hating WWE and understanding it completely the last days. I guess, in the end of the day, my only real problem with them is not trying to make everyone the strongest possible (so the top chosen one is even stronger). Talent is stressed, overworked, tired, then they are turned into jokes, apparently punished for getting too popular without somebody's consent, their wrestling style is not taken into consideration when planning matches or character development, there are all these mixed messages that go from "always obey" to "stand your ground" without rhyme or reason other than blame talent for how they are perceived on a show where other people write their lines, and so on.
It reeks of "the wrestlers don't really matter" and godamn it, they are the reason we watch the damn thing. It's such an specific set of skills that takes to be a good pro-wrestler, and they just go through talent as if there was an infinite stock of star power out there. Which is obviously false when a title change sucks because not one person there looks good enough to hold it.

I obviously like a lot of what WWE does, but it often feels we care more about the well being of the wrestlers than the guy who became a millionaire thanks to them.

FyreWulff

People here sometimes say we use smark terms incorrectly or too much, but watching shoot interviews, the wrestlers use "bury" for everything (kind of like we do). X-Pac saying that after they broke up, Chyna goes everywhere giving interviews trying to bury him for example. Cornette talks about burying in relation to creative giving people bad gimmicks for no reason other than they are idiots.

It really doesn't mean "intentionally making someone look bad by having him lose repeteadly" or anything. It seems like every time someone does anything that harms some wrestler's career, it's "burying".

Also, it works as a quick conversational term. "They are burying Bray by having him lose like that"; it may not be accurate (Bray is still on the show every week and still has fans and merch), but it sums up the feeling without miscomunication. They are making a decision that makes Bray look bad, it doesn't matter if it's because they hate him or to protect Cena or because they actually think it's a good idea for the character.

/rant

I know what you mean, but in the context of my post I was talking about the explicit version of burying, not the slang 'bury'.

"burying" and "getting this over" work so well to describe things elsewhere, though :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do so many people have such ass problems? It seems like in 1/10 threads you'll find someone talking about a terrible ass problem them have. What do these people do to their bodies?

I think it's more neglect than doing things. I dunno. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Alucard

Banned
Watching a Danielson/Tyler Black match from 2008. Bryan had the knockout knee back then too, but it was just a regular part of his arsenal. And holy hell is this a hot contest. Black was a part of the Age of the Fall at this time.

Alucard

Banned
Holy shit! Danielson and Black literally break the ring after a buckle bomb from Black on Danielson! Wish I knew how to make animated gifs. They then work another 5 minutes with a ring that has fucked up ropes and beat the shit out of each other with forearm shots in the centre. Danielson wins with his downward elbows as Sinclair is forced to stop the match because Black isn't defending himself. What a fucking match! @_@

Sblargh

Banned
Holy shit! Danielson and Black literally break the ring after a buckle bomb from Black on Danielson! Wish I knew how to make animated gifs. They then work another 5 minutes with a ring that has fucked up ropes and beat the shit out of each other with forearm shots in the centre. Danielson wins with his downward elbows as Sinclair is forced to stop the match because Black isn't defending himself. What a fucking match! @_@

gifcam, mang. You don't even need to install it. It's super duper mega looper easy to use.

Alucard

Banned
Now watching Danielson/Aries vs. Shelley/Sabin. Amazing to think where each of these guys would go after Ring of Honor. Such different journeys.

Also, Gabe Sapolsky on colour commentary is fantastic.

strobogo

Banned
Teach me. Show me how. And gimme a place to upload. :D Please?

GIFCAM TUTORIAL

Download Gifcam
Size Gifcam to the size of your video player
Click arrow next to REC
Choose how many FPS you want, the higher the frame rate, the bigger the size and better the quality
Click REC to start recording. Click it again to stop recording.
Click EDIT. Right click to give options to delete frames, resize, etc.
Click save.

You can upload it to Minus if you sign up. ImageBam is also dope. It's SUPER easy.

Sblargh

Banned
Teach me. Show me how. And gimme a place to upload. :D Please?

No. My knowledge is too precious to share it like this.

You can use stro's knowledge. He gives it away for free, the fool.

Edit: speaking of gifcam, I'm vowing once again to finish my review of Beach Blast 92

strobogo

Banned
iupuAcBgeTx4d.gif

Don't mind the green shit. That happens when you have a gif where the background doesn't change at all. But that's the general idea. It's super easy.

GIFCAM TUTORIAL

Download Gifcam
Size Gifcam to the size of your video player
Click arrow next to REC
Choose how many FPS you want, the higher the frame rate, the bigger the size and better the quality
Click REC to start recording. Click it again to stop recording.
Click EDIT. Right click to give options to delete frames, resize, etc.
Click save.

You can upload it to Minus if you sign up. ImageBam is also dope. It's SUPER easy.
iupuAcBgeTx4d.gif

Don't mind the green shit. That happens when you have a gif where the background doesn't change at all. But that's the general idea. It's super easy.
dxgyVwA.jpg

Top Bottom