• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

DiscoJon

Banned
2yjpiqp.gif

Fave Five Faces of Foley:

5. Jack Foley
eDc4NXJiMTI=_o_jack-foley-as-a-jobber-in-wwf-in-86.jpg

4. Mick Foley
mick-foley-482x298-482x298.jpg

3. Dude Love
04_DUDE_04271998_0001.jpg

2. Mankind
mankind.jpg

1. Cactus Jack
cactus1.jpg

Have a nice day!
FoleyThumbsUp.gif

Hasney

I just can't stop watching it. That completely vertical fall with no rotation looks like stro has been editing it, but it's so hilarious.

Sblargh said:
How much of that gif was intentional?

Everything up to the bit when he loses his balance on the top-rope. I think he was going for his step-up springboard swanton bomb, but slips and rather than re-do the spot he tries to salvage the move and make it look like he did some sort of reverse Arabian press into a somersault, except it goes absolutely nowhere, zero rotation, and dumps him on the back of his head.

Sblargh

Banned
Everything up to the bit when he loses his balance on the top-rope. I think he was going for his step-up springboard swanton bomb, but slips and rather than re-do the spot he tries to salvage the move and make it look like he did some sort of reverse Arabian press into a somersault, except it goes absolutely nowhere, zero rotation, and dumps him on the back of his head.

That top rope messes with him twice. Awesome. Makes him lose his balance, and then clips his heels so he stops rotating.

Hey, you know, given that he lost balance, he almost saved it... I think.

Hasney

So in all of this e3 madness, have they shown wwe 2k15 yet?

No. They just revealed they were using the NBA 2k14 scanning technology, showed the character select screen portraits of 5 guys, said Cole and King were doing the commentary together for the first time and that there were several hours of it and gave us a Bray Wyatt wallpaper.

Sblargh

Banned
No. They just revealed they were using the NBA 2k14 scanning technology, showed the character select screen portraits of 5 guys, said Cole and King were doing the commentary together for the first time and that there were several hours of it and gave us a Bray Wyatt wallpaper.

Proposed feature: Let people do their own commentary.

Connect a headset, mute Cole/King and, you know, just play while screaming at the TV like a madman.

Oh, nice new commentary? I wonder if it'll be as natural and flowing as the NBA crew.

Hasney

Oh, nice new commentary? I wonder if it'll be as natural and flowing as the NBA crew.

Well apparently, they used to get them in separately and have them record lines. At least together should make it flow more.

I wonder if they'll make Cole call actual moves. That would be hilarious.

Sblargh

Banned
Well apparently, they used to get them in separately and have them record lines. At least together should make it flow more.

I wonder if they'll make Cole call actual moves. That would be hilarious.

I wonder if he recorded owen voice lines.

"...guys... I think he is not moving..."

Hasney

All I know is if they are doing that rumoured Career mode where they start in NXT, they better get Regal in to lay down some voice work.

I'm still pretty down on the game, but it at least seems like they're slowly edging Yukes out for some tasks. Hyped for 2k24.

Hasney

Well at least the game won't look like shit anymore (hopefully), that's a start.

I'll believe it when I see it. There's hope if the current and last gen versions are using separate engines, but every generational jump the Smackdown games have gone through in the past has basically been an up-res for the first few years.

Imagine the conversion mods that would happen if it was ever released on PC. Damn.

Even WCW Nitro for PC got mods and that might actually be the worst wrestling game of all time!

Sblargh

Banned
Releasing mod kits means, a lot of times, that people will improve your game for free. It's basically getting fans to do free QA / free updates / free content. I mean, it's free for us, but it's also free for them.

I believe in the selling power of "yeah, the base game sucks, but mods make it a lot better".

-

So that's what a real sexy man looks like, huh? I never knew.

Togi Makabe appeared on some Japanese TV show to announce some super-obvious entrants to the G1 this year;

Shinsuke Nakamura
Kazuchika Okada
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Togi Makabe
Tetsuya Naito
Hirooki Goto

Also, the full line-up will be announced during the Dominion iPPV on 06/21!

Hasney

Hey Sblargh, some journalists for the world cup have been showing pictures of their breakfasts and a few of them seem to be all cake. Is cake for breakfast a thing in some parts of Brazil?

I mean, it's no black pudding, but that's a fine breakfast.

New Japan Pro-Wrestling - G1 Climax I - 1991

The innaugral G1 Climax Tournament took place from August 7th to August 11th, 1991, with two blocks of just four wrestlers each: Keiji Mutoh, Tatsumi Fujinami, Scott Norton & Big Van Vader in Block A, Masahiro Chono, Shinya Hashimoto, Bam Bam Bigelow & Riki Choshu in Block B. All four men in Block A still had a chance of winning on the penultimate day of the tournament with two points each, but a double count-out finish between Norton & Fujinami meant the block would be decided by Vader and Mutoh, while in Block B Chono & Hashimoto went into the final day with 5 points each, having faced each other in a 30 minute draw on the opening day of the tournament, followed by wins against Bigelow & Choshu. As such, Chono & Hashimoto would have to compete once again on the last day to decide who went to the G1 final, but the winner would be at a distinct disadvantage having to wrestle twice on one show. The last three days of the tournament all took place at a jam-packed Ryogoku Kokugikan and the crowd were lively throughout, but it was their reaction to the finish of Vader vs Mutoh and the finish of the tournament itself that stood out and it's a moment still used in New Japan promo videos today, as the fans hurled their seat cushions into the ring in appreciation - a tradition of sumo wrestling when fans have witnessed an amazing encounter or when a sumo rises in rank or causes an upset.

Hansey said:
Hey Sblargh, some journalists for the world cup have been showing pictures of their breakfasts and a few of them seem to be all cake. Is cake for breakfast a thing in some parts of Brazil?

Google says they eat some cornmeal sponge-cake thing for breakfast. Looks tasty.

Sblargh

Banned

I mean, it's no black pudding, but that's a fine breakfast.

Cake as breakfast is acceptable; it's more common on hotels than people's houses, but it happens, it's not an everyday thing, but it works. Despiste the look, those cakes aren't very sugary or overly sweet.
The stuff on the photo that looks really fattening is actually not that much; it's called Pave and its mostly milk.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's bolo de fuba. Bolo de fuba is kind of vanilla, if you don't put any topping on it (which is true in a lot of cases), then it's just kind of bland. Brazillians don't like to eat too much on breakfast, we leave the heavy stuff for lunch, so the idea of cake for breakfast is just to put a little sugar in the system to give energy for the first half of the day, I think. It really isn't about stuffing yourself.

Edit 2: Cakes like orange cake or pineapple cake are good because they taste good (since they taste like the fruits) without being over the top, either. I actually could eat some orange cake right now. Thinking about it. And then I would just eat a small slice of it. We don't over-eat in here.

strobogo

Banned
iL0am6jNoRGhn.gif

Pretty Wonderful is an underrated team. I hated them as a kid. But Orndorff is dope and Roma is SUPER athletic and good as a cocky heel.He probably could have gone further if he had a better attitude. I can't believe I thought Orndorff sucked as a kid.

Sblargh

Banned
Hey, here's a culinary prediction regarding journalists and the world cup. The first time they get in touch with Feijoada, they will fall in love, as they should, because it is GOAT tier food, but then they will eat a lot of it, they will eat way too much. Next thing you know, the articles will suck because they are not thinking about soccer, they just want to spend their entire lives in the bathroom dealing with all the feijoada they ate.

I see feijoada as a gluttony test. If you can control yourself, it's great and healthy and will keep you fed and all right the entire day. If you can't, then you will suffer.

Hasney

Hey, here's a culinary prediction regarding journalists and the world cup. The first time they get in touch with Feijoada, they will fall in love, as they should, because it is GOAT tier food, but then they will eat a lot of it, they will eat way too much. Next thing you know, the articles will suck because they are not thinking about soccer, they just want to spend their entire lives in the bathroom dealing with all the feijoada they ate.

I see feijoada as a gluttony test. If you can control yourself, it's great and healthy and will keep you fed and all right the entire day. If you can't, then you will suffer.

Dammit, the South American restaurant near me used to serve that and I was tempted, but never had it. Looked at the menu today and it's now virtually just a Mexican place. Damn good pisco sour and caipirinha though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty Wonderful is an underrated team. I hated them as a kid. But Orndorff is dope and Roma is SUPER athletic and good as a cocky heel.He probably could have gone further if he had a better attitude. I can't believe I thought Orndorff sucked as a kid.

Me too. Every time I see Orndorff now I'm consistently impressed and thrilled. I hate that I never appreciated him until I got older.

Ithil

I'll believe it when I see it. There's hope if the current and last gen versions are using separate engines, but every generational jump the Smackdown games have gone through in the past has basically been an up-res for the first few years.

Even WCW Nitro for PC got mods and that might actually be the worst wrestling game of all time!

And in this last generation's case, an up-res for the entire gen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New Japan Pro-Wrestling - G1 Climax I - 1991

The innaugral G1 Climax Tournament took place from August 7th to August 11th, 1991, with two blocks of just four wrestlers each: Keiji Mutoh, Tatsumi Fujinami, Scott Norton & Big Van Vader in Block A, Masahiro Chono, Shinya Hashimoto, Bam Bam Bigelow & Riki Choshu in Block B. All four men in Block A still had a chance of winning on the penultimate day of the tournament with two points each, but a double count-out finish between Norton & Fujinami meant the block would be decided by Vader and Mutoh, while in Block B Chono & Hashimoto went into the final day with 5 points each, having faced each other in a 30 minute draw on the opening day of the tournament, followed by wins against Bigelow & Choshu. As such, Chono & Hashimoto would have to compete once again on the last day to decide who went to the G1 final, but the winner would be at a distinct disadvantage having to wrestle twice on one show. The last three days of the tournament all took place at a jam-packed Ryogoku Kokugikan and the crowd were lively throughout, but it was their reaction to the finish of Vader vs Mutoh and the finish of the tournament itself that stood out and it's a moment still used in New Japan promo videos today, as the fans hurled their seat cushions into the ring in appreciation - a tradition of sumo wrestling when fans have witnessed an amazing encounter or when a sumo rises in rank or causes an upset.

All added to Watch Later. Good stuff. Thank you.

Sblargh

Banned
Dammit, the South American restaurant near me used to serve that and I was tempted, but never had it. Looked at the menu today and it's now virtually just a Mexican place. Damn good pisco sour and caipirinha though.

I had to google Pisco Sour. :p

Caipirinha is great. Restaurants here, even really small ones, often serve a free small dose of caipirinha when you order feijoada. I guess it's like, hey, since you'll be too heavy to work properly anyway, might as well get a bit drunk.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always liked Mr Wonderful because my dad liked Mr Wonderful. And I was happy to see someone else feud with Hogan over Piper.

strobogo

Banned
I always liked Mr Wonderful because my dad liked Mr Wonderful. And I was happy to see someone else feud with Hogan over Piper.

I think Orndorff was better in WCW. As was Steamboat. And Rude. But that's down to a matter of what style of wrestling you prefer. The WCW style was much more wrasslin, where 80s WWF was as sports entertainment where only a few matches on the card would have any kind of pyschology. The WWF style held them back, whereas it helped guys like Hogan and Warrior. Jake in his physical prime in NWA/WCW would have been dope as fuck.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Flair, Rude, and others:

Who was in WWE for a significant amount of time but still feel like NWA/WCW guys?

Flair
Rude
Steamboat
Arn Anderson
Dusty Rhodes
and many more. Rude being the more controversial one because he did do significant time in WWE. Also Lex Luger is 100% WCW to me.

Sblargh

Banned
It's ok that the guy doing the interview knows nothing about wrestling, but it's funny how he seems so bored and just throws random questions:

"How is life on the road"
*Emma talks about life on the road*
"Hum... what is hell in a cell?"
*Emma tries to explain that is cage where wrestlers are trapped inside*
"Uhum... do you often get injuried?"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rude could do either style though. It's why he worked so well and why they were so upset he went to WCW. Real adaptable type.

Ron Simmons was a WCW guy to me. Yeah he was in WWE for WAY longer, but he did more in WCW to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rude could do either style though. It's why he worked so well and why they were so upset he went to WCW. Real adaptable type.

Ron Simmons was a WCW guy to me. Yeah he was in WWE for WAY longer, but he did more in WCW to me.

Agree with Simmons. Also Sid felt more WCW to me. Just the right amount of corny and menace.

Weirdly, Road Warriors/LoD felt WWF to me.

RP912

Banned
iL0am6jNoRGhn.gif

They should have stuck around a bit longer. They had some good chemistry together. It was like a battle of who can out-douche one another.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Road Warriors never felt WWF or WCW to me. Because WWF Road Warriors were just Demolition.

Terry Taylor's WCW to me.
Vader, of course.
Steiners were always WCW guys to me. Even before NWO.

RP912

Banned
Road Warriors never felt WWF or WCW to me. Because WWF Road Warriors were just Demolition.

Terry Taylor's WCW to me.
Vader, of course.
Steiners were always WCW guys to me. Even before NWO.

I dunno road warriors had this "property of nwa" thing about them. They were stiff as hell like a typical wcw wrestler and cut threatening legit shook promos like it's wcw. When they came to the wwf it was like something was missing. It reminds me of when Mike Rotundo came back to wcw to be vk wallstreet after his stint as irs.

Alucard

Banned
Recent TNA attendance figures according to wrestlinginc.com:

June 6th in Bowie Maryland - 200 fans
June 7th in Salisbury, MD - 800 fans
June 8th in Aberdeen, MD - 225 fans

800 is decent for them I guess. But yeah, ROH regularly beats the 200-fan mark.

Also, Magnus is looking to Hollywood for work outside of wrestling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rotundo to me is still perma-IRS so WWF for me. Steiners WCW easy, same with Vader.

Scott Hall is still WWF to me, Kevin Nash is WCW. Very weird how I look at those two.

Top Bottom