• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

I probably should've checked out the house show in Saginaw Friday, oh well. I didn't even know about it until Friday afternoon anyway and that was only because there was a write up on Natalya in my local area paper... Yes I still get newspapers for some reason.

44 year old Takao Omori defeated Jun Akiyama today to become the new AJPW Triple Crown champion, his first time holding the belts in his career.

SxQsT5d.jpg

The attendance was pretty average for the first Akiyama AJPW show, with Korakuen only about half full. However, they did have access to the new Triple Crown title Shiraishi commissioned and, with Shiraishi gone, Riki Choshu is returning to the fold, so hopefully things will improve for All Japan.

strobogo

Banned
Mmm...I don't disagree, but I also don't think Pillman was that far behind Austin. Have you seen his match with Liger from uhhh...fuck...one of the early SuperBrawls?

I sure have.

Luger from the mid to late 80's to about 92 or so was pretty good and indeed, better than Sting.

He wasn't better than Sting at any point. Although he was much better before the bike wreck/WBF/WWF. Pre-WWF, Luger was a guy with a great look who you could rely on to have a decent-good match depending on his opponent. In the WWF, the only good match he had was against Mr. Perfect at WM9. He never even sniffed that level again for the rest of his career.

The only enjoyable thing about Lex post-1992 was his run when he came back to WCW where he was a heel and Sting was a face, but they were still bros.

Alucard

Banned
Hey, is there anywhere I can pay to download the RoH dvds or something? I don't even have a dvd at home. Physical media is the past, grandpa;.

Hmm, I'm not sure to be honest. Ring of Honor is a bit behind the times too when it comes to distributing its product on current media. Most indie stuff is usually on DVD.

You can go to rohwrestling.com and pay for video on demand of shows from the past year, though.

Alucard

Banned
Which move do you think most guys cross their fingers and hope that they don't get fucked up as they're waiting to take it?

Watching Samoa Joe matches, and it must be pretty frightening seeing Joe coming in to give you an Ole kick as you sit in a chair by the barricades and just HOPE Joe's foot isn't two or three inches off as he comes running at you and kicks your head...'cause if it is, he's coming in full steam ahead and could crush your brain with his foot against the steel.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgu3u2Nne8 (imagine it with barricades and the THUD as his foot hits the barricade too)

Alucard

Banned
Trying to work out a comprehensive match rating system. Here's what I've got to start. It follows the Meltzer 5-star system. Not so sure about some of them. Thoughts?

5 – all-time classic (a clear story, superb/dramatic wrestling, minimal botching, crowd is invested)
4.75 – amazing/fantastic/remarkable
4.5 – excellent
4.25 – great
4 – very good
3.75 – memorable/very good
3.5 – good
3.25 – pretty good/fun
3 – solid
2.75 – not bad
2.5 – okay/acceptable
2.25 – eh
2 – not good/boring
1.75 – poor/bad
1.5 – very poor
1.25 – abysmal/awful
1 and below – just embarrassing/shameful/garbage/shit

strobogo

Banned
I think you're making it too complicated when you start breaking it down into quarter stars. I think the only stars you need are 5 and 1. Universal signs. 5 means you thought it was super dope. 1 means you thought it sucked. No matter what your personal tastes are, everyone can understand what 5 or 1 represent. Anything else you can just say it was good or wasn't good without attaching a star to it. Because it's all subjective and what you think is a 5 star match one you you might not like at all 2 years later.

I really doubt Dave still thinks Bushwackers vs Fantastics is a 5 star match. Or most of the matches he put as 5 stars that weren't 80s and early 90s Japan.

Ithil

You forget Meltzer's ratings can go to minus stars, too, for especially horrible matches, so it ends up as a 25-point scale. I believe 2-2.5 stars is considered "entirely average", not 3+.
People take his ratings more seriously than he does anyway, he says himself he doesn't spend forever deliberating over what he gives matches, he just puts them in at the end of his overview of the matches whatever major show he saw that week.

Alucard

Banned
I think you're making it too complicated when you start breaking it down into quarter stars. I think the only stars you need are 5 and 1. Universal signs. 5 means you thought it was super dope. 1 means you thought it sucked. Anything else you can just say it was good or wasn't good without attaching a star to it. Because it's all subjective and what you think is a 5 star match one you you might not like at all 2 years later.

I really doubt Dave still thinks Bushwackers vs Fantastics is a 5 star match. Or most of the matches he put as 5 stars that weren't 80s and early 90s Japan.

Yeah. I'm just trying to avoid the pitfalls of super smarks who can't actually do match.

"It was very good! THREE STARS!"

"Uhh, that's 60% out of 100 on a school test..."

I feel like some critics are too harsh and rate lower than their reaction indicates. It's totally subjective, though, like you said.

Me and pizoxuat and our daughter (Age 5) are going to the August 4th Raw.

We have some fascinating insight as to why kids like John Cena. She actually has some interest in going to the show and even came up with the idea to bring a sign without any prompting. So I asked her what she wanted on the sign. She said "I love John Cena", so I asked her why.

"Because he has a green shirt." (Green is her favorite color) That's it. That's the whole thing.

He's not even #1 in her fave five though.

5 Year-Old Fave Five of Fiveness:
1. Daniel Bryan - Goldust used to be her favorite, so I asked her why D Brine is #1 now and she said that Goldust is cute but Daniel Bryan is so cool.
2. Goldust
3. John Cena - I feel I have failed as a father, but he does have a green shirt. He won't by August, though, so maybe she'll get over it.
4. Cody Rhodes - She still likes him from the Royal Rumble commercial where he says he used to have a mustache.
5. Tyler Breeze - She likes the face he makes and says it's a happy face. Is she distracted? Yes.

She also really likes BNB, El Torito, Yoshi Tatsu (or at least his music, I don't think she's seen him wrestle that much). I'm pretty surprised BNB didn't make the fave five, but he probably would if I asked her again an hour from now. Kids have no loyalty. She didn't even talk about Titus O'Neil or Kane, and she used to do the bark and the ringpost fire summoning move all the time.

Lastly, she says sometimes she likes Sheamus and sometimes she doesn't. I don't know what that's about.

Sblargh

Banned
Trying to work out a comprehensive match rating system. Here's what I've got to start. It follows the Meltzer 5-star system. Not so sure about some of them. Thoughts?

My thought is that since storyline is so important, you can't rate single matches on a void. :X

Well, maybe on some products you can.

Alucard

Banned
Jeez, even kids aren't sure if they're supposed to be cheering for Sheamus.

That's the part that made me chuckle too. His character is so random. Sometimes, he makes a heel face or does something heelish, and sometimes he just does the babyface thing. Really...I think he just needs to be a heel because people seem to boo him more than cheer him. I WANT to boo him.

Alucard

Banned
My thought is that since storyline is so important, you can't rate single matches on a void. :X

Well, maybe on some products you can.

Yeah, it's subjective. When I rate a match, I rate the quality of the in-ring work and the storyline surrounding the match as well. Of course, if it's just two guys engaging in athletic competition, I only rate the story they tell in the ring.

Sblargh

Banned
Yeah, it's subjective. When I rate a match, I rate the quality of the in-ring work and the storyline surrounding the match as well. Of course, if it's just two guys engaging in athletic competition, I only rate the story they tell in the ring.

I was thinking of pushing the theatrical sport thing you said yesterday. I'll just start to casually say "that was a fine display ofthe art of theatrical sportmanship" until it becomes a thing.

Carnby

Fav Five Dad related storylines:

5. DNA test: Paul is Kane's Dad.

4. Mic Foley calls off Dean Ambrose worked shoot because Dean insulted his children.

3. J.R interviews Goldust in 1997 "I did this because Dad didn't love me, very much"

2. Big Show Vs. Big Boss Man "your dad is dead lol".

1. Shane McMahon vs Vince McMahon (WrestleMania 17)

strobogo

Banned
Fuck, I want to give up on WWF 1994, but then I remembered that I'd miss out on crazy Mr. Backlund. When did he turn? After Summerslam?

Alucard

Banned
Valid comparison, or putting too much pressure on Luke? Only started watching Bruiser Brody matches yesterday thanks to Dragonzord.
20131112_article_current-classic-matchups_luke.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Valid comparison, or putting too much pressure on Luke? Only started watching Bruiser Brody matches yesterday thanks to Dragonzord.
20131112_article_current-classic-matchups_luke.jpg

Personally I think Harper is a better wrestler than Brody already. I don't think Brody was that good in the ring. I haven't seen a ton of his work, but I've not been impressed with any of it I have seen.

Alucard

Banned
Personally I think Harper is a better wrestler than Brody already. I don't think Brody was that good in the ring. I haven't seen a ton of his work, but I've not been impressed with any of it I have seen.

I haven't seen enough to really comment. He definitely had a very imposing presence, and when I read fan comments on youtube with guys remembering him, some comment on being legit scared of Brody and placing him alongside Andre in terms of his presence. The write-ups on him also talk about his innovating the brawling style of wrestling.

strobogo

Banned
I haven't seen enough to really comment. He definitely had a very imposing presence, and when I read fan comments on youtube with guys remembering him, some comment on being legit scared of Brody and placing him alongside Andre in terms of his presence. The write-ups on him also talk about his innovating the brawling style of wrestling.

His presence was something special, no doubt. Not many guys have had that presence. And doing things he was doing at his size in that time was pretty wild. I think, much like Brian Pillman, his persona puts a nicer light over his in ring stuff.

evil ways

Brody was just a brawler/powerhouse hybrid. His legend grew when he started doing the wildman gimmick, especially in Japan, because over there they loved guys that threw chairs and ran off fans out of their seats. Much like Abdullah, The Sheik and Tiger Jeet Sighn.

He had psychology and charisma, but as far as being any good in the ring, he wasn't.

Alucard

Banned
Brody was just a brawler/powerhouse hybrid. His legend grew when he started doing the wildman gimmick, especially in Japan, because over there they loved guys that threw chairs and ran off fans out of their seats. Much like Abdullah, The Sheik and Tiger Jeet Sighn.

He had psychology and charisma, but as far as being any good in the ring, he wasn't.

And yet, smarks, who claim to "miss the good old days when guys just wrestled," love him.

Based on your description, it sounds like Brody was an example that in-ring is not absolutely necessary to getting over and creating an aura. Just look at Hogan. Same deal. He was limited in the WWF ring, but he could sell better than anybody with his facial expressions alone, and he drew gate because of his character and his promos.

Playing as Jeff Jarrett's 'Global Force Wrestling' in the latest update to TEW'13. Only people I've really managed to sign are Scott D'Amore and Chris Hero. Nobody else wants to come, at least nobody with any real name value.

Seems legit.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Fav Five Dad related storylines:

5. DNA test: Paul is Kane's Dad.

4. Mic Foley calls off Dean Ambrose worked shoot because Dean insulted his children.

3. J.R interviews Goldust in 1997 "I did this because Dad didn't love me, very much"

2. Big Show Vs. Big Boss Man "your dad is dead lol".

1. Shane McMahon vs Vince McMahon (WrestleMania 17)
What about Vince choking his daughter out on PPV after beating the shit out of her?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
WrassleGaf, here's Magnum T.A.'s Senior Photo from my mom's yearbook. They graduated in the same year. Just a cool little thing if anyone cares, kind of poor quality.

n0lA5g2.jpg

WrassleGaf, here's Magnum T.A.'s Senior Photo from my mom's yearbook. They graduated in the same year. Just a cool little thing if anyone cares, kind of poor quality.

n0lA5g2.jpg

Ha! That's kinda cool. My Dad went to High School with DDP.
My Dad swears DDP was expelled for streaking through the girls locker room.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+

1992 is back! At least for the moment! Clash XX was thoroughly entertaining and packed with memorable moments (e.g. Andre's last televised appearance ;_;). And how about that final Halloween Havoc... promo... thing? Amazing. >_>

You're making me want to do the same thing and go through all the PPVs on The Network! In fact, everyone should do it, and give a Rating, put the ratings into a spreadsheet and we'll eventually get a weighted WrassleGAF Rating for the event. We'll also see who likes what events!

Corpsepyre

Banned
CZW Tournament of Death XIII results:

Round 1

Fans Bring the Dildos Death Match (Dildo Ladder): Lucky 13 def. Jaki Numazawa
Barbed Wire Madness Death Match: MASADA def. Aero Boy
Ultraviolent Pits of Hell Death Match: Danny Havoc def. Masashi Takeda
Light Tube Bundles Death Match: Jun Kasai def. Matt Tremont

Round 2

Panes of Glass Death Match: MASADA def. Lucky 13
Light Tubes, Gusset Plates and Razorboard Death Match: Jun Kasai def. Danny Havoc

Finals

No Ropes Barbed Wire, Light Tube Bundles & Scaffold Death Match: Jun Kasai def. MASADA

Bowser

My apathy towards the current product has soured me on the network as well :/ I'll probably keep it since I tune into the PPVs, but man, could they please come up with just one compelling storyline? Is that too much to ask?

Top Bottom