• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Layin' the law, once again, prepare for war. C! Z! W!

Alucard

Banned
I kind of want this t-shirt.
8bit_tribute_1.png

Trying to guess all the wrestlers. Don't know a couple. Help?

Savage
Bulldog
Andre
Yoko
Junkyard
Jake
Cornette
????????
Bearer
??????? (Perfect?)
Rude
Bossman
Doink
Earthquake
Hawk

Aiii

So not worth it
Man, there really is a lot of overlap between wrestling fans and Nintendo fans.

Who knew people that were teens in the 90s would have such affinity for gaming and wrestling, two of the most popular pop-culture things in said 90s.

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.

Alucard

Banned
Scrolling through all the t-shirts at barbershopwindow.com. Shirts I wouldn't be ashamed to wear in public:
moonsault.png
old_school.png
street_art_thunder.png
luchador_dogs_1_2.png
lucha_fiction.png
bruiserbrody2.png
andre.png

T-shirts I would wear at home, to wrestling shows, or around friends:
thunder.png
what_a_manuever.png
snoopy_lucha.png
professional_pugilism.png
nobody_doubts_el_dandy.png
mario_luigi.png
mark_out.jpg
luke_face.png

Alucard

Banned
I think that's Eddie G.

Edit: Oh, and middle is Pillman.

Pillman had a hammer and sickle on his tights?

And damn it, the shipping to Canada on prowrestlingtees.com and barbershopwindow.com is ridiculous. Adds $15 to an order. So that's $35-40 for a t-shirt. Way too much.

Alucard

Banned
Gotcha. I'm not familiar with Pillman outside of his work with The Hart Foundation.

Btw, is The Hart Foundation mentioned on that best factions set that WWE released?

EDIT: And thanks for the links. Going to watch now.

strobogo

Banned
Steve Austin was better than Pillman at everything. Pillman was actually a pretty awkward wrestler even before the car wreck. Not that he was bad or anything, but he was most definitely a few steps behind Austin. I think his loose cannon stuff over shadows his actual in ring work, which wasn't as high as you'd expect due to his reputation.

He had a weird bumping style and his psychology was often pretty spotty when not in the ring with veterans.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Steve Austin was better than Pillman at everything. Pillman was actually a pretty awkward wrestler even before the car wreck. Not that he was bad or anything, but he was most definitely a few steps behind Austin. I think his loose cannon stuff over shadows his actual in ring work, which wasn't as high as you'd expect due to his reputation.

He had a weird bumping style and his psychology was often pretty spotty when not in the ring with veterans.

Going by a lot of the older guys, it sounds like Pillman probably had a better grasp on the business and booking than Austin. Sullivan thought Pillman had some real genius ideas, and he was able to make his gimmick legit by putting it over on the boys which was basically impossible.

dream

I actually watched Brian Pillman wrestle in Calgary and Edmonton as a very young child. He was great, and I hope the Stampede library is made available at some point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pillman was very good before his accident.

Only problem is when comparing him to Austin who was fucking amazing before his neck was broken.

Alucard

Banned
You're a piece of shit for buying anything with Michael Hayes' face on it that isn't a program for his funeral.

Sorry, man. :( I'm not a fan of him either, but I just want to expand my historical wrestling knowledge.

Stuff about Hayes that makes him a POS:

-called Mark Henry a nigger in 2008
-called a native-american wrestler a derogatory term in 2009
-offered alcohol to Rosa Mendes after she just got out of rehab

Oddly enough, Booker T doesn't think Hayes is a racist:
http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article1001638.shtml

Booker T was a late replacement for Kevin Nash in Spike TV and TNA's monthly conference call.

-Booker laughed when he was asked about Michael Hayes and racism late in the conference call. He said Hayes thinks he's black. "I don't look at Michael as a racist myself," he said. "I've heard him use the N-word before... He's one of the people who can use the word around me because I know there's no malice behind it."

strobogo

Banned
I actually watched Brian Pillman wrestle in Calgary and Edmonton as a very young child. He was great, and I hope the Stampede library is made available at some point.

Pillman was very good before his accident.

Only problem is when comparing him to Austin who was fucking amazing before his neck was broken.

I'm definitely not saying he was a bad wrestler by any stretch. He was good. I think his gimmick's reputation (which happened during a time when he wasn't really putting on the kind of matches he was in 1991-1993 anyway) has raised the reputation of his work as well. It seemed like for years online that he was the one thought of as the star and better half of the Hollywood Blonds. The only thing he could do better than Austin was do high flying stuff.

Austin was a better talker. Pillman's promos weren't really anything before the loose cannon stuff. Austin was a better technician. Austin was a better ring general. Austin was a better seller. Austin had a better aura and presence. It's amazing that Bischoff didn't see anything in him. It's even more amazing that Vince initially didn't see anything in him.

gif me all you want but it doesn't make it any less true. Austin was really something else in the ring before his neck was broken.

I was merely expressing my concern for Bryan in light of his recent neck surgery and the potential to parallel your Austin comment.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was merely expressing my concern for Bryan in light of his recent neck surgery and the potential to parallel your Austin comment.

Sorry, friend. I realized that could be what you were going for after I posted it.

It probably won't turn out this way for D-Bry, at least I hope not. He seemingly doesn't have the tools Austin did when he flipped his career around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, it's not really fair to compare anyone to pre-broken neck Austin. Like the only people who you could are like ... Misawa, Jumbo, uhhhh

Alucard

Banned
Just reading about Bruiser Brody's death...messed up that the guy who was caught with the knife was acquitted, the guy who witnessed it, Tony Atlas, didn't testify, and Carlos Colon testified against Brody.

Messed up. I want to read the Brody book now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just reading about Bruiser Brody's death...messed up that the guy who was caught with the knife was acquitted, the guy who witnessed it, Tony Atlas, didn't testify, and Carlos Colon testified against Brody.

Messed up. I want to read the Brody book now.

If you haven't read Dutch's post about it and listened to his story about it on Austin's podcast, do that. I think of all the stories told, his is the most believable. Though I do like Manny Fernandez's story and how he used Brody's knee drop on the invader. It's graphic if you think it's a shoot but it's not if it's a work. Fake looking but the quality's so bad it's hard to tell.

Sorry, friend. I realized that could be what you were going for after I posted it.

It probably won't turn out this way for D-Bry, at least I hope not. He seemingly doesn't have the tools Austin did when he flipped his career around.

He can wrestle a mat based submission style *very* well. He'll be fine. It's not like he'll have to take the same bumps from his opponents offence that he used to have to in the indies either.

dream

I'm definitely not saying he was a bad wrestler by any stretch. He was good. I think his gimmick's reputation (which happened during a time when he wasn't really putting on the kind of matches he was in 1991-1993 anyway) has raised the reputation of his work as well. It seemed like for years online that he was the one thought of as the star and better half of the Hollywood Blonds. The only thing he could do better than Austin was do high flying stuff.

Austin was a better talker. Pillman's promos weren't really anything before the loose cannon stuff. Austin was a better technician. Austin was a better ring general. Austin was a better seller. Austin had a better aura and presence. It's amazing that Bischoff didn't see anything in him. It's even more amazing that Vince initially didn't see anything in him.

Mmm...I don't disagree, but I also don't think Pillman was that far behind Austin. Have you seen his match with Liger from uhhh...fuck...one of the early SuperBrawls?

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I don't understand why people bitch about wrestling being "fake" but have no problem with flops in sports.

"It's part of the game"

Ok.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry, man. :( I'm not a fan of him either, but I just want to expand my historical wrestling knowledge.

Stuff about Hayes that makes him a POS:

-called Mark Henry a nigger in 2008
-called a native-american wrestler a derogatory term in 2009
-offered alcohol to Rosa Mendes after she just got out of rehab

Oddly enough, Booker T doesn't think Hayes is a racist:
http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article1001638.shtml

Booker T was a late replacement for Kevin Nash in Spike TV and TNA's monthly conference call.

-Booker laughed when he was asked about Michael Hayes and racism late in the conference call. He said Hayes thinks he's black. "I don't look at Michael as a racist myself," he said. "I've heard him use the N-word before... He's one of the people who can use the word around me because I know there's no malice behind it."

He didn't call Mark that, he said he was more of one (with the "a" at the end, not "er") than Mark was.

The second one is about how I remember reading it as is the third.

Zach

Stunning Steve was better than Flyin' Brian, sure, but even Austin has admitted that Pillman had a great mind for the business and came up with all of the Hollywood Blonds details (attire, mannerisms, et cetera).

Top Bottom