• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now Meltzer's wondering whether Nakamura and Joe are gonna fight because he didn't listen to HHH's interview (he would not have mentioned it if Nakamura wasn't getting a Joe match, obviously) because maybe he's going to the main roster in the draft lottery.

I think the thing is that Shinsuke Nakamura is going to be the biggest NXT call-up they've ever done, so I don't know if you can just randomly have him show up as "a guy."

BFIB

CalmPreciousKingbird-size_restricted.gif

Things you can't see in this .gif:

-Vince's boner.

imBask

Banned
Now Meltzer's wondering whether Nakamura and Joe are gonna fight because he didn't listen to HHH's interview (he would not have mentioned it if Nakamura wasn't getting a Joe match, obviously) because maybe he's going to the main roster in the draft lottery.

I think the thing is that Shinsuke Nakamura is going to be the biggest NXT call-up they've ever done, so I don't know if you can just randomly have him show up as "a guy."

That's the dream really, I just don't know if we can count on Cole and JBL to hype up Nakamura to the level he deserves. Let's just hope they deliver on the great video packages

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's the dream really, I just don't know if we can count on Cole and JBL to hype up Nakamura to the level he deserves. Let's just hope they deliver on the great video packages

You're forgetting that half the roster gets called by Mauro Ranallo now. I wouldn't be surprised if Byron gets replaced on SD by Corey Graves either. After Byron left NXT Graves switched pretty seamlessly to just being a neutral color guy who randomly hates the Drifter as opposed to hating all babyfaces.

imBask

Banned
You're forgetting that half the roster gets called by Mauro Ranallo now. I wouldn't be surprised if Byron gets replaced on SD by Corey Graves either.

oh right, on Smackdown it could probably work, but it's a 50/50 really. We're all assuming all of our favorite wrestlers are going to end up on the new show which might not be the case at all

Angry Grimace

oh right, on Smackdown it could probably work, but it's a 50/50 really. We're all assuming all of our favorite wrestlers are going to end up on the new show which might not be the case at all

I don't think its that bad of an assumption though: SD probably gets a smaller roster but the idea is to push its ratings, so you have to put some of the more popular guys on there.

I'm guessing the flag-bearers for the brands are going to be the Shield on Raw and Cena/Styles/etc., on SD.

Of course, WON already had reported that they're gonna just run supershows anyways so the brand split might be as irrelevant as it was in the end days of the first one. I won't be surprised if there's a few more curveballs in this brand split vs. the last one. A lot of how we are envisioning this will work is that it will be identical to the last brand split.

Angry Grimace

I will completely admit that I'm going to be pretty goddamn pissed off if I hear Cole say "He calls himself the King of Strong Style" and "the self-proclaimed King of Strong Style!"

UberTag

Meltzer thinks Nakamura is a complete genius at wrestling for recognizing exactly how WWE works and not trying to run NJPW matches in WWE.

Both Alvarez and Meltzer are nutting over how good he is at not doing anything but making the crowd believe he's doing all these crazy things, specifically not doing anything risky at all.
Nakamura's the best wrestler in the world. It would have been more surprising for him to not adjust his style accordingly.

I can't see Zayn or Owens being split. Honestly I could see everyone in the MITB plus Miz I think all being on Smackdown with the exception of the winner presumably.
I'm assuming - and frankly hoping - that Owens and Sami get split up in the draft.
And I like both of those guys a ton. Would prefer to see Owens on RAW and Sami on Smackdown but time will tell.

Those two need to get split up but continue to face off and screw each other during super shows and network specials to keep the rivalry brewing.
The absolute LAST thing I want to see is them on the same show every week wrestling each other. They need to make this a career-long rivalry and not one where we're sick of it 6 months from now.

imBask

Banned
I don't think its that bad of an assumption though: SD probably gets a smaller roster but the idea is to push its ratings, so you have to put some of the more popular guys on there.

I'm guessing the flag-bearers for the brands are going to be the Shield on Raw and Cena/Styles/etc., on SD.

Of course, WON already had reported that they're gonna just run supershows anyways so the brand split might be as irrelevant as it was in the end days of the first one. I won't be surprised if there's a few more curveballs in this brand split vs. the last one. A lot of how we are envisioning this will work is that it will be identical to the last brand split.

the thing is, I think we're in an echo chamber. I doubt having all of our indy darlings on a Cable TV show will move the needle as much as you guys seem to think, they'll need some Ambrose, Rollins, AJ and losers like Sheamus and Orton on that show to get some ratings

The average cable TV watcher doesn't know who Nakamura is

Sephzilla

I really wish they showed you more of the backstage reactions to nakamura and zayn in the new breaking ground

Yeah, that would have been cool. Shit, I kind of wish we could have seen all of HHH's reactions to everything from Takeover Dallas. His reaction when he walked into the locker room after the show was the most genuinely happy I've seen that guy on camera.

Caderfix

Does Sami Zayn still says "People call me the underdog from the underground" even though no one does?

Did anything important happen since the last PPV?

I've decided to not watch the WWE anymore, at least until the split, and I want to know if I'm missing something.

Asuka vs Bayley is likely for Brooklyn, maybe Nia Jax tossed in for a triple-threat. Will they keep the belt on Asuka or have Bayley win it back? I can't see Bayley being called up just yet, hell I don't see her being brought up this year at all.

You're forgetting that half the roster gets called by Mauro Ranallo now. I wouldn't be surprised if Byron gets replaced on SD by Corey Graves either. After Byron left NXT Graves switched pretty seamlessly to just being a neutral color guy who randomly hates the Drifter as opposed to hating all babyfaces.
If Graves is going to be on Smackdown I hope he brings back his one-sided hatred of Becky Lynch if she ends up there too.

Angry Grimace

Nakamura's the best wrestler in the world. It would have been more surprising for him to not adjust his style accordingly.

I'm assuming - and frankly hoping - that Owens and Sami get split up in the draft.
And I like both of those guys a ton. Would prefer to see Owens on RAW and Sami on Smackdown but time will tell.

Those two need to get split up but continue to face off and screw each other during super shows and network specials to keep the rivalry brewing.
The absolute LAST thing I want to see is them on the same show every week wrestling each other. They need to make this a career-long rivalry and not one where we're sick of it 6 months from now.

I kind of agree. I enjoy their rivalry, but its kind of tiring that it feels like Sami and Kevin are persistently stuck in this stage of "maybe they'll just fight each other" to fill whatever card out.

UberTag

Did anything important happen since the last PPV?

I've decided to not watch the WWE anymore, at least until the split, and I want to know if I'm missing something.
You haven't missed much of anything. That said, Money in the Bank's got a quality card on paper. You should scope it out even if it IS pre-split. That said, you probably don't need to watch anything until then.

Angry Grimace

Asuka vs Bayley is likely for Brooklyn, maybe Nia Jax tossed in for a triple-threat. Will they keep the belt on Asuka or have Bayley win it back? I can't see Bayley being called up just yet, hell I don't see her being brought up this year at all.

If Graves is going to be on Smackdown I hope he brings back his one-sided hatred of Becky Lynch if she ends up there too.

That's just unresolved sexual tension.

sora87

Yeah, that would have been cool. Shit, I kind of wish we could have seen all of HHH's reactions to everything from Takeover Dallas. His reaction when he walked into the locker room after the show was the most genuinely happy I've seen that guy on camera.

"You know you're off to a good start when the crowd are chanting holy shit at the entrance"
Dude must have been super proud that night.

UberTag

That draft episode is going to be pretty wild just for the spectacle of seeing the entire WWE/NXT roster together at the same time.

Kornflayx

Glad Joe retained, I couldn't give a shit less about Balor. The facepaint does nothing to his character or his style of wrestling. He's just a dude who paints his face which is fucking lame.

Sephzilla

Demon Balor needed to lose at some point, Joe is on fucking fire right now, the Joe/Balor feud was pretty hot, and Balor is probably close to being called up. I have 0 complaints with Joe beating Demon Balor especially with a goddamn Super Muscle Buster

Angry Grimace

That draft episode is going to be pretty wild just for the spectacle of seeing the entire WWE/NXT roster together at the same time.

I'm just interested to see who the most random, unexpected call-up is. I would have bet on Crews if Crews hadn't already had a random, unexpected call-up.

Sephzilla

Everything about Samoa Joe right now is so fucking on point. He's got the right theme, the right look, the right attitude, the right facial expressions, and the right wrestling style for his character. The dude is the perfect monster wrestler right now.

Top Bottom