• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

UberTag

Glad Joe retained, I couldn't give a shit less about Balor. The facepaint does nothing to his character or his style of wrestling. He's just a dude who paints his face which is fucking lame.
04198d47c4668012485d8cdd9df4aaae.jpg

Cagey

Banned
The juxtaposition of Demon Balor's entrance and Samoa Joe's entrance is jarring.

It's like the most over the top mid 90s WWE wrestler fighting Goldberg.

I like Finn a lot but the entrance needs more menace and dread... and less Cats: the Musical.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just wonder how you're gonna do PPVs if you have a gigantic roster full of legit stars. I don't like the idea of the brand specific PPV, but you almost *have* to. They have too many dudes that people are gonna expect to be showing up at every PPV, but you're dumping dudes from the shows if you don't.

Like how do you ever fit Sheamus on a show if you have if you have Roman Reigns, AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Randy Orton, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn Balor, the New Day, Enzo & Cass and American Alpha on the roster?

I dunno, I feel like maybe they should give the brand specific PPVs a shot again. They have too many PPVs as it is, which makes every one of them feel like Rematch Mania.

Sephzilla

I really want a Samoa Joe vs Brock Lesnar feud. The match would be fucking awesome and there would be color too since Brock will bleed for anyone.

The juxtaposition of Demon Balor's entrance and Samoa Joe's entrance is jarring.

It's like the most over the top mid 90s WWE wrestler fighting Goldberg.

I like Finn a lot but the entrance needs more menace and dread... and less Cats: the Musical.

I'm a bit of a mark for Balor but I agree, the Demon stuff needs more to it. More dread is pretty spot on. He also really needs to wrestle differently when he's in the paint.

You know who Aries reminds me of? I just figure it out.

He's modern era X-Pac. He's a serviceable worker that doesn't stand out at all that had his limelight a long time ago that never evolved as a wrestler or a character.

austin-aries.gif

When would the 'who are you chant' be necessary? Whether they don't know them or not? You don't need to chant to breathe. It's completely unnecessary dipshit mentality for morons to continue to think they're 'part of the show'. They didn't do the chant until Ellering came out. And Not Matanzas were out there for a long time.

It was directed at Ellering. And it was a dumb, unncessary chant. Like most chants at NXT events.

Given that Ellering was walking out so slowly from the ramp, I question how many fans even saw him before they started to chant.

Were the "Jobber" chants at Jason Jordan (!, in hindsight) at the San Jose WrestleMania house show necessary? No, but they highlighted that the show at that point had done nothing. The "Who are you" chant vocalizes that 1) nobody knows who the fuck Paul Ellering is in 2016 and 2) the Authors of Pain debut was unexpected, a surprise that's actually pretty hard in NXT now because all debuts at the tapings get spoiled by Twitter reports and all signings get announced by WWE itself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bet you Samoa Joe would have pulled off that good guy/bad guy/thee guy promo without it sounding like cornball rehearsed shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Simple answer on "how do you do PPVs with so many talented guys"

Brand split PPVs on smaller events. Big Four are both promotions

Fox318

PPVs isn't really the issue.

Its the amount of TV each week and the house show schedule upping the chances of injury.

Plus you still have Vince getting his hands in everything that's on tv. So who knows if one week he changes his mind and wants so change the rosters up for no reaon.

Angry Grimace

That's what they did before with the original brand split but eventually they stopped it.

At first I didn't like the idea, but I think it makes sense. I'm okay with every B-show PPV not being a re-hash of the last B-show PPV.

PPVs isn't really the issue.

Its the amount of TV each week and the house show schedule upping the chances of injury.

Plus you still have Vince getting his hands in everything that's on tv. So who knows if one week he changes his mind and wants so change the rosters up for no reaon.

But it is. How are you ever going to get new guys over if you literally can't fit anyone new onto a PPV because Roman Reigns, AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Randy Orton, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn Balor, the New Day, Enzo & Cass and American Alpha all are popular enough to be at every show?

XenoRaven

I feel like Finn hasn't been able to successfully adapt his knowledge and experience into the "WWE style" or whatever. It seems like all of his spots require his opponent to do a certain thing or stand in a certain spot and it all feels contrived to me. Finn was like my second favorite guy in NJPW, and I still like him, but his run in NXT hasn't done much for me.

Also, I know you could say this about roughly 80% of WWE guys, but he's way more natural as a heel. Part of the fun in a Finn match is his facial expressions and mannerisms when he's getting beat up.

I also agree on the sentiment that it seems like the "demon" paint has just become something he does for PPVs, and it has no significance otherwise, which sucks. It should be reserved for particularly personal feuds or really major events (i.e. Wrestlemania), and his mannerisms and style in the ring should change. People should be going out of their way to avoid ever drawing out Demon Balor, and they should be afraid when they do.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My fave five right now for the year is Naito, Joe, Miyahara, Kamaitachi, and SANADA. I can't see that changing unless AJ manages to squeak in and have some great stuff with Cena and survives it and Kamaitachi suffers from having him be in ROH and me not wanting to watch him be wasted on Jay Briscoe and Adam Cole.

Sanada's gonna be huge in 2017.

Angry Grimace

Joe's music is perfect for Joe.

The big singles wrestlers in NXT all have awesome themes with Finn, Nakamura and Joe. Nakamura's new theme is way better than his Street Fighter NJPW theme.

XenoRaven

Also, it's a testament to how great AJ is that he can just come in and have the matches he's having without apparently any or very little time in developmental.

To me, I see a lot of these indie/international wrestlers come in, and they do a lot of the things they did before they got to WWE, but instead of feeling natural and fluid, they feel janky. Almost like a video game with bad animation. I have never felt that way about any of AJ's matches.

I think the same could be said about Kevin Owens as well, to a slightly lesser extent.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, it's a testament to how great AJ is that he can just come in and have the matches he's having without apparently any or very little time in developmental.

To me, I see a lot of these indie/international wrestlers come in, and they do a lot of the things they did before they got to WWE, but instead of feeling natural and fluid, they feel janky. Almost like a video game with bad animation. I have never felt that way about any of AJ's matches.

I think the same could be said about Kevin Owens as well, to a slightly lesser extent.

It's not too surprising, a lot of people didn't seem to notice it, but he made a drastic shift of his style when he went to NJPW. And he didn't do like most guys and shift to, 'puroresu strong style'. He went straight up NJPW with it. Like he wrestled like a NJPW guy and had it down better than people that were there for years within the first month.

He is probably the greatest in-ring wrestler since Bret. And I think he's better at bumping and selling than Bret.

Barrage

The problem, honestly, is that Balors offense is basic as fuck. It doesnt build heat because theres no signature spots, its splashes and shit. Thats a problem when youre the Babyface. Say what you want about Brets 5 moves of Doom, you could structure a match around it.

Nakamuras offense is simple too, but thats because everything he does is supposed to be devastating or confusing to his opponent. Theres a rhythym there.

XenoRaven

It's not too surprising, a lot of people didn't seem to notice it, but he made a drastic shift of his style when he went to NJPW. And he didn't do like most guys and shift to, 'puroresu strong style'. He went straight up NJPW with it. Like he wrestled like a NJPW guy and had it down better than people that were there for years within the first month.

He is probably the greatest in-ring wrestler since Bret. And I think he's better at bumping and selling than Bret.
I had hardly any exposure to AJ at all before NJPW and I was convinced he was going to be boring.

I think taking over Bullet Club helped to some degree, but he just came to New Japan with a fire and intensity that I didn't think he'd be capable of. I suppose that's what happens when you're at TNA for years.

Angry Grimace

The problem, honestly, is that Balors offense is basic as fuck. It doesnt build heat because theres no signature spots, its splashes and shit. Thats a problem when youre the Babyface. Say what you want about Brets 5 moves of Doom, you could structure a match around it.

Nakamuras offense is simple too, but thats because everything he does is supposed to be devastating or confusing to his opponent. Theres a rhythym there.

I think its funny that Balor went from overrated to underrated.

The first and second Balor/Joe matches were very good matches. This one was pretty forgettable, but it was a steel cage match, what do you expect?

Is that slingblade or whatever supposed to a Balor signature move? Looked weak as fuck last night.

I could see Finn dropping the Demon thing when he gets to the main roster so Joe being the one to end the undefeated streak of him never losing when in the paint makes sense.

What if Sami hadn't signed so early and waited til around Owens did? Would he be El Generico? Would they be so willing to sign these guys if someone like a Sami wasn't successful first? Would NXT be as hot?

Angry Grimace

I could see Finn dropping the Demon thing when he gets to the main roster so Joe being the one to end the undefeated streak of him never losing when in the paint makes sense.

The Demon being undefeated or whatever was never a thing though.

It's just an entrance gimmick for big fights.

The Demon being undefeated or whatever was never a thing though.

It's just an entrance gimmick for big fights.
True, but it's just something I noticed. Honestly I'm just hoping it means he drops it and just goes around without paint or just using the leather jacket. It's cool but as you said, it's a gimmick and utterly meaningless given that the "Demon being another side of Finn" shtick seems barely if never touched upon now.

Ithil

Even more so than Cass and Enzo, which is some feat, Alpha absolutely need to remain a team.
I've longed for an actual main event team in WWE for many years now, but they just don't view tag teams that way, they have to be midcard at best there. Alpha are the best choice for a headliner tag team they've had in forever.

Cagey

Banned
Don't start preemptively hating on Cass or Jordan based on assumptions their respective tag teams will get split up.

At the least, hate on them for them if you're going to hate.

Top Bottom