• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Hex

Banned
20 WWE PPVS a year plus 5-6 (if the rumors of a 3 hour smackdown are true) every year.

There is simply no way to get somebody new into wrestling. Too much time commitment and frankly the presentation style of the WWE is stale and out of date when compared to other sports.

You should want people craving your content. I always wonder if part of the reason the UFC works is that it is practically impossible to have a guy fight every month thus they are forced to build programs around multiple people and not over expose one person.

Instead what they should be doing is what they do with Brock. Have him work a few matches a year.

TV is where there money is and their goal to still have a circus travel to house shows every year gets more guys injured and over exposes the product.

Everything about the way the product is run is thinking about short term profit as opposed to long term growth.

Some of those PPVs will be Smackdown brand, and some will be Raw brand and then the big ones will have both

bjork

Hell I'm more worried about Mania, I wouldn't give it away for free again. Make people sign up for ten bucks to watch your money show, then include another ppv within the month as their free ppv. They cancel if they want to but make sure you get that ten bucks this year, make some sign up deadline idk.

But if there's too much content for the casual viewer to get accustomed to the product, why would they pay $10 for the big show? If anything, you make WM free and make the little montages for each storyline as easy to digest as possible, to see who you can hook.

edit new paige

98wgf4U.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Doing 12 PPVs with 4 SD, 4 Raw 4 Super Shows is the right call. Doing 4 Supershows and 16 branded shows is a batshit insane idea.

I know exactly WHY they're doing it though - they're convinced that the casual audience is dead and nothing is left but hardcore fans who don't even watch Raw or SD to begin with, and just tune into the PPVs. You basically reach the point where the PPVs literally are basically just SmackDown or Raw and the actual SD or Raw are irrelevant.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm looking at my ticket right now and kinda regretting how much I paid for it

Alcohol and access to the internet with a credit card is not a good mix.

Life's way too short to regret paying a little too much for a thing you will almost assuredly enjoy.

You probably would have wasted whatever you paid over market value.

klonere

Banned
Where are you sitting get and how much was it?

I know mine cost more than I would usually pay. <_<

€75, Ticketmaster fees bumped it up by nearly €10. Considering I paid €12.50 for my OTT tickets and had an amazing time there NXT better be something amazing.

Tickets are ringside but a few rows back.

Life's way too short to regret paying a little too much for a thing you will almost assuredly enjoy.

You probably would have wasted whatever you paid over market value.

Yeah I will definitely enjoy myself. I generally feel guilt for any big purchase I make for myself.

Doing 12 PPVs with 4 SD, 4 Raw 4 Super Shows is the right call. Doing 4 Supershows and 16 branded shows is a batshit insane idea.

I know exactly WHY they're doing it though - they're convinced that the casual audience is dead and nothing is left but hardcore fans who don't even watch Raw or SD to begin with, and just tune into the PPVs. You basically reach the point where the PPVs literally are basically just SmackDown or Raw and the actual SD or Raw are irrelevant.

So true, I rarely actually watch matches on Raw because all the effort for the same match ups are usually just saved for the PPV.
Cena's open challenge was like the rare exception.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things I missed during the years I didn't want WWE.

Championship Scrambles.
Saturday Night Main Event Revival.
Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday.
3 Minute Warning (Bring Back Bischoff and make it the USOs/Reigns for authenticity.

Hopefully some of these show back up.

Angry Grimace

This year absolutely fucking sucks, for what its worth.

This weekend alone: I accidentally opened a 2-foot hole in the drywall of my bedroom; 100 people got shot for no good reason; my business partner died on a camping trip with his 11 year old son in a freak car accident.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Xbox One S has one major defeating design flaw. It only plays Xbox games.

As I diehard Nintendo fan I'm kinda like the pre hogan WCW fans in here but I must say that I very rarely have any interest in Microsoft First Party games. That being said I actually prefer them to Sony's efforts, but Sony gets better third party weeaboo exclusives that I like.

But if there's too much content for the casual viewer to get accustomed to the product, why would they pay $10 for the big show? If anything, you make WM free and make the little montages for each storyline as easy to digest as possible, to see who you can hook.

edit new paige
It's better than paying 70 bucks. Most people make it a thing to watch Mania and decide if they want to continue watching afterwards. Also you still have other means of watching the show too. And look at it like this, some pay 5 bucks to view a premium stream on free websites. What's 5 extra bucks if it'll get you the entire catalogue for you to view for a whole month and you can catch up on things that you heard were good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
While they'll likely fuck it up all of the hurdles of the last brand split era are gone.

USA has both Smackdown and Raw so they won't put extreme pressure to keep the stars on RAW.
Split PPVs/PPV overload won't matter because all that revenue is network subs now and the ones that still do sell on traditional PPV will be supershows.
Hell Smackdown is even live now.

This weekend alone: I accidentally opened a 2-foot hole in the drywall of my bedroom; 100 people got shot for no good reason; my business partner died on a camping trip with his 11 year old son in a freak car accident.

Aw, sorry about sounding so glib. That really sucks.

There's value to escapism.

What? His son died too? Or the son is fine but the father died? Damn man, I'm sorry to hear.

Angry Grimace

While they'll likely fuck it up all of the hurdles of the last brand split era are gone.

USA has both Smackdown and Raw so they won't put extreme pressure to keep the stars on RAW.
Split PPVs/PPV overload won't matter because all that revenue is network subs now and the ones that still do sell on traditional PPV will be supershows.
Hell Smackdown is even live now.

If they just stuck with regular PPV schedules with 4 Raw, 4 SD and 4 Double shows I think it would have been a really interesting idea.

Kaladin

I think the talk of wrestling overload is kind of making a mountain out of a molehill.

The point of the brandsplit is not to watch and keep up with both brands, it's to give fans the chance to pick one show and follow it exclusively.

If they do it right, fans of a specific brand will have one weekly show to watch and one monthly PPV to keep up with.

I mean, you can try to watch 5 + hours of wrestling each week. Good luck with that.

bjork

I would totally play that pirate game, but not if I have to hear a bunch of dildos going OH NO OH NO over and over in my ear. Single player or fuck off

Jamie OD

Jericho podcast with Brian Gewertz is great. Wrestlers court sounds so dumb

I've heard it exists in team sports like baseball but it is not as petty as it is in wrestling. Usually it's just something to haze a rookie or keep an ego in check. Those found "guilty" are convinced to add money to a pot that gets spent on an end of season party for the team.

Top Bottom