• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

klonere

Banned
Finished SSS16 Day 1 last night. Highlights were

Hero/Andrews (totally insane, so well worked for a small/big guy match and some of the biggest reactions to nearfalls I've heard in a while)

Haskins/Dunne (two of the most underrated dudes in the West stiffing the shit out of each other)

Callihan/Cross (Not blowaway amazing but I appreciated Sami's heel antics. His whole shtick definitely works better on the indies which makes his NXT run a lot more understandable)

End/Rampage (Sprint of two dudes just throwing bombs and seeing who can stand up to it better. Finish spoilers
Tommy kicking out ot the piledriver put him over huge
)

Origin/London Riots (SO MUCH HEAT. It's crazy to think that the Origin started as the fucking Faceless, a total failure of a unit and has turned it around into arguably a better replacement for Havoc than Marty is. Great match with an insane near fall that needs to be seen)

Walther/Mastiff (BJW tribute but a damn great one. Walther does it so well and along with the Rampage/Coffey match, the Atlas tournament is finally picking up steam).

Honestly every match was worth at least a watch and the crowd is its typical insanely engaged self. If you aren't watching PROGRESS you are missing out on the best produced, one of the best booked and best overall packages in independent wrestling. The On-Demand is ridiculously cheap ($7.50!) so you really should give it a shot. You can see who the next Ospreay/Scrull/Sabre is going to be (
It's Haskins. Or Dunne.[/SPOILER)] I didn't gif anything from the show because I was too damn tired from an insane week at work so have a Marty entrance gif instead.

n0xuUWS.gif

Menome

Friends, I'm just not feeling E3 this year. The past three years, I've stayed up to watch the conferences at silly times of night and got as hyped as any other hypable person.

This year though, I just find myself just giving it a mildly-interested read in the morning-after articles. I think the tidal wave of announcements and leaks in the fortnight beforehand have left me feeling that there's not really much else that can be revealed that I don't already know about.

It's not an event this year, it's just a continuation of the PR that's already been in place this week.

Aiii

So not worth it
Friends, I'm just not feeling E3 this year. The past three years, I've stayed up to watch the conferences at silly times of night and got as hyped as any other hypable person.

This year though, I just find myself just giving it a mildly-interested read in the morning-after articles. I think the tidal wave of announcements and leaks in the fortnight beforehand have left me feeling that there's not really much else that can be revealed that I don't already know about.

It's not an event this year, it's just a continuation of the PR that's already been in place this week.

Same thing here and everywhere mate, my mates have dubbed it Meh3 this year.

Doesn't help that everything's about that gimmicky VR that nobody can or wants to afford.

Browny

Banned
Seeing game footage of Dishonored 2, the new ME4 trailer and the Mafia 3 gameplay just reinforces the fact that I need to budget for a new PC before the end of the year. The rest of E3 is just hype generation. I'm too good for that.

*scurries off to pre-order the most expensive D2 Collectors Edition he can find*

Oersted

It feels like business as usual. Need something fresh.

klonere

Banned
As always I'm like 6 months behind the curve on this but my god, listening to this Giant Bomb EA conference thing, Star Wars is being fucking pounded into the ground with a vicious fury. I never want to hear the theme, see the logo or read anything about that franchise ever again.

Heroman

Banned
As always I'm like 6 months behind the curve on this but my god, listening to this Giant Bomb EA conference thing, Star Wars is being fucking pounded into the ground with a vicious fury. I never want to hear the theme, see the logo or read anything about that franchise ever again.

For me all the new star war stuff looks like the same star stuff we been getting from the OT for years, I want something new. Say what you will about the prequel at least they had a unique look and feel which more than I can say for they new star wars stuff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think I might already be over Overwatch

Nothing shown directly from the E3 conferences so far has interested me. I don't know if a BF game will ever appeal to me like BF2 did, but the dynamic weather stuff looked cool. I'm generally not much for multiplayer games anymore. Especially with my work schedule. Mass Effect didn't show enough to be of any interest, and frankly, I think EA hasn't produced a single game worth a shit this entire generation.

Prey 2(again AGAIN) is just like what's even the point. I think the best stuff I get out of E3 is usually Gamespot's stage demos. I am curious to see more of Watch Dogs 2 even though it'll likely be more Watch Dogs. But hopefully improved because I like the core concept. And I already knew I was sold on Mafia a while ago, so I don't need to see any more on that.

Meltz on the LAW saying WWE will do 20 ppvs a year. Apparently Lawler said it at an appearance

Also Fight Network getting NJPW on AXS starting in July

Zach

I'm excited about E3 stuff. I was really busy yesterday so I didn't see much but I plan to watch some crap today after mowing/grocery store/dog walk. Gonna be fuuunnn.

Fox318

20 WWE PPVS a year plus 5-6 (if the rumors of a 3 hour smackdown are true) every year.

There is simply no way to get somebody new into wrestling. Too much time commitment and frankly the presentation style of the WWE is stale and out of date when compared to other sports.

You should want people craving your content. I always wonder if part of the reason the UFC works is that it is practically impossible to have a guy fight every month thus they are forced to build programs around multiple people and not over expose one person.

Instead what they should be doing is what they do with Brock. Have him work a few matches a year.

TV is where there money is and their goal to still have a circus travel to house shows every year gets more guys injured and over exposes the product.

Everything about the way the product is run is thinking about short term profit as opposed to long term growth.

klonere

Banned
Meltz on the LAW saying WWE will do 20 ppvs a year. Apparently Lawler said it at an appearance

Also Fight Network getting NJPW on AXS starting in July

They are absolute fucking idiots. There is zero way to spin this. Fucking monumental stupidity if this comes to pass

Meanwhile this will be very very interesting. There's so many people I want to see Shibata against, I hope this is the first of many.

klonere

Banned
Marty Scurll is awesome hoping he gets some bookings outside the UK, he is one of the best guys here right now.

He's doing very well for himself in EVOLVE, injected right into the title scene there. I know he was in PWG as well but no idea how that went down because it's PWG lol.

Him and Ospreay did a version of their match at WrestleCon on Wrestlemania weekend as well. He's got a ready made NXT character as well but he's very much on the small side so that could hurt him.

Jamie OD

So we could be getting two weeks every month where a 3 hour PPV, 3 hour Raw and 2 hour Smackdown all take place on back to back to back days? And that's not including NXT if they have a Takeover but that usually happens the week before the PPV.

Sephzilla

So we could be getting two weeks every month where a 3 hour PPV, 3 hour Raw and 2 hour Smackdown all take place on back to back to back days? And that's not including NXT if they have a Takeover but that usually happens the week before the PPV.

Potentially 12 hours of wrestling over 4 days (not including pre-show stuff) is too much, even if the product was good

It's really hard to be excited for E3 this year because there's no way it will remotely follow up E3 from last year. Plus Nintendo straight up "nope.gif"d this E3

Yep, same here. Considering that less than 50% of the games announced last year still haven't come out (exclusives) I'm very meh.

I have Hitman to hold me over until something else huge comes along.

Potentially 12 hours of wrestling over 4 days (not including pre-show stuff) is too much, even if the product was good

I can barely make it through the 3ish I'm doing now (Raw + LU), now way I'll be ok with 3 hours of Smackdown

klonere

Banned
I don't know how anyone can argue that WWE want to appeal to a casual audience anymore. They are comfortable with extracting the maximum possible amount of revenue from a dwindling fanbase. Does not bode well for the future t b h.

He's doing very well for himself in EVOLVE, injected right into the title scene there. I know he was in PWG as well but no idea how that went down because it's PWG lol.

Him and Ospreay did a version of their match at WrestleCon on Wrestlemania weekend as well. He's got a ready made NXT character as well but he's very much on the small side so that could hurt him.

Yeah he's like 5'7" (billed at 5'9") and under 180lbs.

Striker

I think that's less of a problem in the network era where that means you don't have to buy 20 PPV's.
Less of a problem if you look at it from a money perspective. Maybe. In terms of a good product, it's terribly moronic. The old way of brand themed PPV's is a lot better than this scenario. At least then it allowed the side to build up heat and make the feud worth a damn. There's no real reason to have them even titled as "PPV" or even special events if they are so common.

And the rating tonight should be interesting since they'll square off against LBJ/Steph Curry in Game 5.

Browny

Banned
My appreciation for this movie went up 10 fold once I actually started working in an office job.

I try and lend it to as many of the new starters in our office as I can. There's something character-building about someone muttering about a stapler or PC load letter.

Top Bottom