• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

And if you’re one of those fans who doesn’t care about what goes on
backstage, or which wrestler is putting his health in danger to keep a top
spot, or what the latest flip is that the little guys are doing, you might as
well prepare yourself for the fact that the level of excitement we saw on TV a
few years ago won’t be approached again for a long time, if ever.
The wrestling boom which began in late 1995 was the result of an incredibly fun
head-to-head Monday night battle between Raw and Nitro. The competition
made for a better wrestling product, and the WWF, in hindsight, would almost
certainly never have gotten as big as it is today without that war. An
unopposed WWF product without any form of true competition will inevitably
become stale. Changes will certainly be made once ratings drop to a
certain level, and guys will be phased in and out, but probably without the
corresponding level of excitement that these moves had just a few short years
ago.
This is very deep.

There was a legit good discussion around the state of wrestling Ambrose, while in the midst of it Blue was going on about whatever period he watching. Truly magical WrestleGAF happening right there.

klonere

Banned
Seth, don't try to copy Japanese women:
kudome-valentine.gif

Mick and Noelle Foley admitting on the latest Cheap Heat podcast that they don't have cable, and instead watch pirated livestreams of Raw.

Great lead into their new WWE Network show.

It's not so much spot fest city as I WANT TO MURDER YOU

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/743410551850700800

that fucking landing

or this flip thing

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/743410948942200832

I was watching some of them and it's nuts. It's why I was asking me because it made realize how soft WWE woman's matches can look. I've been happy with their progression but when I started watching wrestling again I just felt underwhelmed relative to the hype it was getting from fans. Becky and Sasha are faster, but overall the matches feel slow and deliberate to me.

Jamie OD

Per the Observer, remember when everyone thought Bálor was just going to be in NXT for a short run?:

An interesting note on Balor is that he left New Japan for WWE in 2014 and Styles was his replacement as head of the Bullet Club. Styles did his whole New Japan stint, left, and came to WWE, while Balor was still not on the main roster spending two years in NXT.

It's always interesting watching old Steiner Brothers matches particularly when they are up against rookies and you can see how just stiff they are working.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just seems like a lot.

I dunno, UFC events on average do like anywhere between 500k~2m at the gate. Hyped PPV's do even more. And they do an event like almost weekly now. Add to that the income from merchandise, TV-deals, PPV-buys and sponsorships (UFC can actually get some real brands to sponsor their shit) and that's a whole lot of income. It seems to be a lot more profitable than WWE, at least, and WWE is worth nearly a billion at any given moment.

100% ownership of UFC for 4 billion, probably not the worst investment.

This is very deep.

I'll always remember the time DM posted a gif of the moment Goldberg lifted Hogan up for the finish in Atlanta and everyone in the crowd was on their feet, and captioned it with something like "You'll never see a wrestling crowd care this much again"

Truer words

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can you guys stop arguing about Roman Reigns IN EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THREAD

Tranquilo

There's a point where everyone should just admit "Well, I guess Roman Reigns is getting a strong reaction from me, so I guess he's doing a good job at that." and accept that any kind of emotion is a good one.

He's good in the ring, too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll always remember the time DM posted a gif of the moment Goldberg lifted Hogan up for the finish in Atlanta and everyone in the crowd was on their feet, and captioned it with something like "You'll never see a wrestling crowd care this much again"

Truer words

But what if they were singing instead?

klonere

Banned

Truer words

wrong

CkbKMzdWkAA0Ppz.jpg:medium
(2.99999 kickout)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnDfbZ9J7Y

NXT Dublin when Finn went for the Coup de Grace, everybody in the lower bowl stood the fuck up.

Sephzilla

Oh, is this the time of the week were the thread devolves into people arguing because fans aren't cheering in the super specific way that one person feels fans should cheer?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
think they're both shitlords that want attention pal

Its a cultural thing for Europeans. They sing because soccer matches are so goddamned boring, and they have to entertain themselves. They've been doing this for ages. I bet they even sung at castle sieges.

Are they patriots, though?

Americans? Absolutely not. Europeans? I have no idea. Nobody over there is very patriotic.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i swear to god we all need to be banned from GAF forever so this argument never happens again

There's not much argument there. I get it. It's what you guys do. When we do it, its weird.

Top Bottom