• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Ithil

preview-freebie-used-to-be-friends.jpg

Bring it on, bring it on.

Ithil

How long are the first round matches running on average? Given there's gonna be 16 of them I assume they're quite short.

Zach

I feel like a disgusting fat slob right now. Sometimes when my son is at his mom's for a couple days, and I start watching wrestling right after work, and then I've been watching wrestling for two hours with no end in sight without anything making me stop, and I have disgusting facial hair because I haven't bothered shaving for a week, I feel kinda down.

I just wanted to share. Don't go down this dark path. Get out and do something.

I'll see you on the other side, friends.

(I'm not really significantly depressed or suicidal. I just feel gross sitting here. I should really go shave.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's weird seeing Daniel Bryan not looking like a hobo.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Age of Berlyn is gone

All Hail

The Age of Landis

What wait? Ninja left DM??

New Stable?
Nah talking about the draft.

I finished Judgement Day today. Will probably get to the DEADLY GAMES tonight. My favorite Russo Style PPV ever.

Deadly games is his baby and he ushered in the new era of booking. Crash tv. It worked though.

Real-time update:

Someone convince me to go out into the heat and see the sun. Or talk me into shaving this gross facial hair. Or at least call me a Daniel Bryan-lookin' hobo.
Shut up slob.

Seth v Sami? Damn.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Deadly games is his baby and he ushered in the new era of booking. Crash tv. It worked though.

It's got a full 16 man tournament in it.
and nearly an entire under card as well.

And it's a ~3 hour PPV. That's insane. But it works. It tells a number of wonderful stories and has some genuinely interesting swerves that in the end mainly work out. Vince doesn't really want to fire Austin, he makes him too much money. He wants to ruin Austin and recruits Shane. The red hot babyface Rock, who has only been cheered for five weeks or so? Nah he's the real corporate champion because Vince thinks Mankind is a mental midget and a slob.

It's got a full 16 man tournament in it.
and nearly an entire under card as well.

And it's a ~3 hour PPV. That's insane. But it works. It tells a number of wonderful stories and has some genuinely interesting swerves that in the end mainly work out. Vince doesn't really want to fire Austin, he makes him too much money. He wants to ruin Austin and recruits Shane. The red hot babyface Rock, who has only been cheered for five weeks or so? Nah he's the real corporate champion because Vince thinks Mankind is a mental midget and a slob.
I'm not sure if you've seen the write up Wade Keller did for the event. He made good comparisons of Vince, Rocky, Austin, and Mankind it is phenomenal and puts everything into perspective. I'll post ot later on for you. I have to find it.

Real-time update:

Someone convince me to go out into the heat and see the sun. Or talk me into shaving this gross facial hair. Or at least call me a Daniel Bryan-lookin' hobo.

I genuinely thought I scrolled by a pic of David Hayter at first.
Maybe that will influence your decision one way or the other.

Tozawa
won. Holy shit he was so great. I would be absolutely stunned if he doesn't have a contract coming out of this. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole time.

Ninth match:
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tyson Dux

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I should resubscribe to the network to rewatch 2000 WCW ppvs now that I have another job and none of the time to actually do it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not sure if you've seen the write up Wade Keller did for the event. He made good comparisons of Vince, Rocky, Austin, and Mankind it is phenomenal and puts everything into perspective. I'll post ot later on for you. I have to find it.

If you find it, I'll read it, Blue Mang.

If you find it, I'll read it, Blue Mang.
The Rock beat Mankind in the finals of the Survivor Series tournament to crown a new WWF Champion last Sunday night. Vince McMahon "screwed" Steve Austin in his bid to get past the semi-finals. The next night Austin one-upped McMahon and strong-armed him into a title shot. McMahon then "screwed" Austin once again.

In reality, Rock, Austin, and McMahon came out of the weekend smelling very good. Rock didn't come across as a breakout superstar during the Survivor Series tournament. Compared to Bret Hart's performances in tournament formats before he became perennial WWF Champion in the mid-'90s, Rock was average at best. But from a star-power standpoint, there was no question before, during, or after Survivor Series that Rock is one of the top two or three stars for the next five years for the WWF. By the end of Raw on Monday night, the WWF was all smiles as the Rock vs. Austin rematch was one of the most electrifying 20 minutes of wrestling television of the decade. It compared favorably to the atmosphere surrounding Goldberg's title win over Hogan, but rose above that because the quality of the match was several levels higher. The fan heat was so intense, it validated that Austin and Rock are the new top two stars in the WWF. Shawn who? Bret who?

Realizing how prevalent the Bret Hart swerve finish at Survivor Series had been in recent WWF booking schemes, it wasn't difficult to figure out certain elements of what would happen at Survivor Series. It was considered a given going in that Rock would win the title (especially with the WWF releasing the name of the December PPV, "Rock Bottom," more than a month ago). How he would get there would be the question.

In order to further the current Austin-McMahon storyline, it was vital for McMahon to "screw" Austin in the tournament. It made sense from a business standpoint for McMahon to screw Austin before he met Rock. Why give away Austin vs. Rock if you don't have to? Besides, the entire PPV was built around portraying Mankind in McMahon's parody image of Bret Hart last year. He portrayed Mankind as a pathetic, gullible wrestler who looked up to him as a father-figure. In the Bret Hart documentary which debuted in Canada last week, he talks about how he looked to Vince McMahon as a father-figure for years.

McMahon had been portraying himself as Mankind's best friend leading into the Survivor Series, while all along he was plotting to screw him in the main event so his real chosen one, The Rock, would end up as his Corporate Champion. By drawing some parallels between this year's storyline screwjob and last year's real-life screwjob, McMahon was able to take some steam out of the Bret Hart documentary, making it seem as if it were part of an elaborate ongoing storyline.

The next night on Raw, in a gutsy move that goes against the typical philosophy of the WWF, McMahon gave away a future PPV main event for free on television. McMahon rarely gives away a main event match on television at the start of a feud. Dating back to his days on NBC, he would save his TV matches for the end of feuds when the money was already made at house shows and on PPV. In this case, there was no backfire. What will be remembered as the first major Austin vs. Rock TV match (they've actually wrestled dozens of times at house shows and on Raw before) turned out to be a ratings bonanza. The final five minutes of the match drew a 7.2 rating. WCW in its four minute over-run drew a mere 2.7 for the hot-shotted, heavily-hyped Goldberg vs. Bam Bam Bigelow "match." More important than the rating is the long-term effect. It's likely Austin won't face Rock again until Wrestlemania (Austin will have to win the Royal Rumble to earn his title shot). The memory of the hot Raw match can do nothing but help the buyrate at Wrestlemania since the match was so exciting and memorable.

Survivor Series may mark the symbolic end of the WWF's preoccupation with the Bret Hart controversy that began over a year earlier. In 24 hours, Rock went from rivaling Austin as the most popular WWF wrestler to by far the top heel in the company. The next night on Raw he showed that he has the interview and wrestling ability to handle that top heel spot. Austin is also a big winner as he has a new credible opponent to feud with.

The Mankind and Bret compare was eye opening as I never thought of it that way.

Kaladin

You know......the thing about this CWC tournament, it's single elimination. So this is the only chance we get to see the losers. That is, unless WWE has something planned with them for later episodes. Some of these guys you know you're going to want to see more of.

Top Bottom