• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Jesus! wCw sucked. If you weren't in the main event, basically you didn't talk to main eventers. You gotta feel sorry for Chavo & Jericho knowing that you couldn't get pointers from the guys making all of the big bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K7Nzs5-Mh8&app=desktop

For as much as I shit on Flair, he at least kept Jericho's spirits up during that time.
Their attitude toward their work was piss-poor as well. I overheard Scott Hall asking Bret Hart one night in Huntsville, Alabama, “Why do you care so much about this match? It’s just a house show.”

That attitude was shared by head booker Sullivan, who asked me once, “Why do you care so much about your match? Nobody else does. Just go in the ring and get it over with. This company is the Titanic heading toward the iceberg anyways.” It was great to hear such positive words from the man who was technically in charge of my on screen career.

Ric Flair overheard Sullivan’s words and though he had jobbed me out three years earlier, he was one of the few vets in the WCW locker room who gave a shit about the young guys.

“Don’t ever stop caring about your work,” he said with dead seriousness. “Around here a good match is all you have. It’s the only thing that makes you rise above the bullshit.”

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Flair isn't a great booker but whenever he had power in WCW/JCP he always tried to do right by the younger generations. He would never complain about losing to anyone besides Dusty, whom he had a well deserved axe to grind.

Watch on Monday Cole says that Roman suffered a broken neck due to the dirty deeds but the Big Dog is recovering at superhuman speeds. And you'll see the results at Battleground when he wrestles for the championship.

Is there anyone here who legit liked ECW? Personally I thought they were better at storylines/booking (not great but good), and that's because of the smaller roster.

I caught the WWE Top 10 Before They Were Stars video, and I heard Gorilla and Lawler on commentary during a match between Jeff Hardy and 1-2-3 Kid. Wonder how long Gorilla and Lawler called matches for?

Good video too:
https://youtu.be/e3sV6ghxUY4
93-95.

For as much as I shit on Flair, he at least kept Jericho's spirits up during that time.
That's pretty good. It's sad because even the guys didn't care about wCw, they were just collecting a fat check. If only they knew what what going to happen. Hell, some of them(especially those that came from up north) knew that they couldn't keep it going because of how terrible it was run. BUT THE CONTRIBUTED TO THAT FACT. HELLO!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is there anyone here who legit liked ECW? Personally I thought they were better at storylines/booking (not great but good), and that's because of the smaller roster.

When it's good it's great, when its not good its awful.

ECW does have some of the best promo work ever though in those early years. Some of the cup of coffee stops by the future WCW undercard are also great. It's the best promotion in the US in 1995.

When it's good it's great, when its not good its awful.

ECW does have some of the best promo work ever though in those early years. Some of the cup of coffee stops by the future WCW undercard are also great. It's the best promotion in the US in 1995.

Speaking of promos, earlier today I viewed the Dudley's infamous Heatwave promo. But the thing that got me hook is "The Lyrical Miracle" Joel Gertner. Give this man a HOF ring.

DMczaf

AcidicInstructiveAltiplanochinchillamouse.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Watch on Monday Cole says that Roman suffered a broken neck due to the dirty deeds but the Big Dog is recovering at superhuman speeds. And you'll see the results at Battleground when he wrestles for the championship.

If their plan was to still protect Roman they wouldn't have had him do the job.

1. Lou Thesz
2. Gary Hart
3. Stan Hansen
4. The Destroyer
5. JJ Dillon

Bill Watts' book was a good read (when he wasn't talking about American Football), but I kinda came off disliking him.

Oh, I came off intensely disliking him. He calls himself a born again christian, but it feels very much like he still enjoys thinking about the bar-room maimings he was responsible for.

I enjoyed all the books on your list save for Gary Hart's, who I wasn't aware ever wrote one. Looking online it seems that it's out of print and extortionately expensive, so I'll have to do some digging.

Oh, I came off intensely disliking him. He calls himself a born again christian, but it feels very much like he still enjoys thinking about the bar-room maimings he was responsible for.

I enjoyed all the books on your list save for Gary Hart's, who I wasn't aware ever wrote one. Looking online it seems that it's out of print and extortionately expensive, so I'll have to do some digging.
Pm me.

bjork

Early on, yes. The matches weren't always great, but some of the story ideas were at least different for the time, and I liked the format of the old ECW TV. But somewhere around the time of the first PPV, it felt to me like they shifted somehow and it just didn't click with me as much any more.

BritWrest people, question about last night's PROGRESS show

so is this thing with Glen a shoot or a work?

No idea - there were a couple of fucking idiots kicked out of the show, I was worried that one of them had been waiting around for him after the event or something. Guess we'll know more soon enough.

What the fuck is a damn wwe? Entertainment? This shit is wrestling, not entertainment.

If you give me a sip or your Slurpee , I'll give you a bite of my weiner.... Ewww

klonere

Banned
No idea - there were a couple of fucking idiots kicked out of the show, I was worried that one of them had been waiting around for him after the event or something. Guess we'll know more soon enough.

what the fuck? jesus that's awful if it is an angle (tasteless) or if it is real (what the fuck?).

Can't stop thinking about Hero/Scrull. Think I might drop another half hour on it when I get home from work.

what the fuck? jesus that's awful if it is an angle (tasteless) or if it is real (what the fuck?).

I'm pretty sure it'll just be something like Marty attacked Glen backstage, or some such.

The guys were kicked out because they took issue with Jim saying "it's been a tough week politically for us all, so let's forget about it for a few hours and enjoy some wrestling" and started swearing at him. People around them told them where to stick it, so the two idiots started kicking off and generally acting like fucking morons and Jim had them kicked out and banned from PROGRESS. Now they're on twitter complaining about "lefty safe spaces" and "petty remain voters", when it had nothing to do with which way the cunt voted and everything to do with the fact that he was an awful shite of a man.

klonere

Banned
I'm pretty sure it'll just be something like Marty attacked Glen backstage, or some such.

The guys were kicked out because they took issue with Jim saying "it's been a tough week politically for us all, so let's forget about it for a few hours and enjoy some wrestling" and started swearing at him. People around them told them where to stick it, so the two idiots started kicking off and generally acting like fucking morons and Jim had them kicked out and banned from PROGRESS. Now they're on twitter complaining about "lefty safe spaces" and "petty remain voters", when it had nothing to do with which way the cunt voted and everything to do with the fact that he was an awful shite of a man.

They broke the one rule! That referendum was such an insane mistake. At least the English wrestlers at OTT could get very easy heat from it on Saturday!

Marty/Eaver should be a pretty great match if that is where they are going. Wonder how long they are going to leave the title on the Pastor.

Godamnit I'd love it if they booked Hero for the G1, they won't, but they totally should. Also, YOSHI-HASHI or we riot!

Can't see the Pastor keeping the title for too long, with the insane heat Zack Gibson generated yesterday I would not be at all surprised to see him spoil Eaver's dream run.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think they can do 2 women's divisions with the current roster. They barely have 1 as it is. The only division that isn't small right now is the Tag Division, which is looking great.

New Day, Enzo & Cass, Vaudevillains, The Club, American Alpha (duh), Dudleys, Uso Boring - Just a lot of good stuff there.

5 years ago, everything changed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ms0DFxpptk
John Cena, while you lay there, hopefully as uncomfortable as you possibly can be, I want you to listen to me. I want you to digest this, because before I leave in three weeks with your WWE Championship, I have a lot of things I wanna get off my chest.

I don’t hate you, John. I don’t even dislike you. I like you a hell of a lot more than I like most people in the back. I hate… this idea… that you’re the best… because you’re not. I’m the best. I’m the best in the world. There’s one thing you’re better at than I am, and that’s kissing Vince McMahon’s ass. You’re as good at kissing Vince’s ass as Hulk Hogan was. I don’t know if you’re as good as Dwayne… he’s a pretty good ass-kisser… always was and still is. Oops… I’m breaking the fourth wall. [Punk waves to the camera.] I am the best… wrestler… in the world. I’ve been the best ever since Day One when I walked into this company, and I’ve been vilified and hated since that day because Paul Heyman saw something in me that nobody else wanted to admit. That’s right, I’m a Paul Heyman guy. You know who else was a Paul Heyman guy? Brock Lesnar… and he split, just like I’m splittin’, but the biggest difference between me and Brock is that I’m going to leave with the WWE Championship.

I’ve grabbed so many of Vincent K. McMahon’s imaginary brass rings that it’s finally dawned on me that they’re just that. They’re completely imaginary. The only thing that’s real is me, and the fact that day in and day out, for almost six years, I’ve proved to everybody in the world that I am the best on this microphone, in that ring, and even on commentary. Nobody can touch me. And yet, no matter how many times I prove it, I’m not on your lovely little collectors’ cups, I’m not on the cover of the program, I’m barely promoted, I don’t get to be in movies, I’m not on any crappy show on the USA Network, I’m not on the poster of WrestleMania, I’m not on the signature that’s produced at the start of the show. I’m not on Conan O’Brian, I’m not on Jimmy Fallon, but the fact of the matter is I should be, and trust me, this isn’t sour grapes, but the fact that “Dwayne” is in the main event of WrestleMania next year and I’m not makes me sick!

Oh hey, let me get something straight, those of you who are cheering me right now… you are just as big a part of me leaving as anyone else, because you’re the ones sipping out of those collector cups right now, you’re the ones that buy those programs that my face isn’t on the cover of, and then at five in the morning at the airport, you try to shove it in my face thinking you can get an autograph and sell it on eBay because you’re too lazy to get a real job.

I’m leaving with the WWE championship on July 17 and hell, who knows, maybe I’ll go defend it in New Japan Pro Wrestling… maybe I’ll go back to Ring of Honor… [Punk waves to the camera again] hey, Colt Cabana, how you doing? The reason I’m leaving is you people because after I’m gone you’re still going to pour money into this company — I’m just a spoke on the wheel — the wheel’s gonna keep turning. And I understand that… that Vince McMahon’s gonna make money despite himself… he’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire… you know why he’s not a billionaire? It’s because he surrounds himself with glad-handing nonsensical [censored] yes-men like John Lauranitis, who’s gonna tell him everything he wants to hear… and I’d like to think that maybe this company will be better after Vince McMahon is dead, but the fact is it’s gonna get taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.

Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon. You know we do this whole bully campaign…

(Microphone is cut off. Punk hits the mic a few times, says something inaudible, yells “I’ve been silenced”, and we fade to black.)

klonere

Banned
Godamnit I'd love it if they booked Hero for the G1, they won't, but they totally should. Also, YOSHI-HASHI or we riot!

Can't see the Pastor keeping the title for too long, with the insane heat Zack Gibson generated yesterday I would not be at all surprised to see him spoil Eaver's dream run.

Gibson would be a great champion but Yet Another Heel Champ would be super lame. Ospreay's run wasn't all that long.

Just
make Haskins double champ tbh. I'm only half joking. And it's too early in the morning to think of any other face that could go for the title right now.

Did Hero get his shit back together?

Hero's had his shit together for a long time friend, dunno if you missed a bunch of us saying he's probably the best wrestler in the world this year.

Aiii

So not worth it
I mean, he's still huge if that's what you're asking? But, he's also probably one of the top 5 wrestlers in the world right now, in my estimation.

Really huh, that's great to hear.

Hero's had his shit together for a long time friend, dunno if you missed a bunch of us saying he's probably the best wrestler in the world this year.

I don't really follow much of wrestling these days, friend.

klonere

Banned

Maybe because I've never seen a Punk match or followed one of his feuds but reading this it comes off as very lame. Super tryhard worked shoot. Especially the very end. And the waving at the camera "I'm breaking the fourth wall" yes you fucking numbskull well done.

Now his actual delivery elevates the material (except the 4th wall line) but man is it still lame as hell.

Fat Hero is best Hero. As someone who mocked him for it post NXT, I was absolutely wrong. He's made it work.
They broke the one rule! That referendum was such an insane mistake. At least the English wrestlers at OTT could get very easy heat from it on Saturday!
I mean there was a "Jinny voted Brexit" chant I enjoyed.

Klonere, use your Euro riches to come visit, there must be enough of us at PROGRESS these days for a WrassleGAF meetup

Jamie OD

Fat Hero is best Hero. As someone who mocked him for it post NXT, I was absolutely wrong. He's made it work.

Klonere, use your Euro riches to come visit, there must be enough of us at PROGRESS these days for a WrassleGAF meetup

I myself want to see a Progress or Rev Pro show this year, I'm just trying to figure out if I can do that and a visit to Anfield to see Liverpool play on the same weekend.

klonere

Banned

Brixton show mate, probably going to sort out booking it all when I get paid in a few days. Either that or an earlier show if I'm feeling antsy. It's gonna happen!

Recall

The Dangerous Alliance is amazing. While it only lasted a short time it is easily one of the best factions pulling out so many great matches.

Top Bottom