• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

klonere

Banned
Cl82lMKWkAAAFmD.jpg:small

Cl82l30WEAAyBDx.jpg:small

Jamie OD

Calling this now. YOSHI-HASHI gets his breakout moment when Honma puts him over in their Korakuen Hall match. Honma got his moment when he beat Ishii in Korakuen and Ishii first got his moment when he beat Tanahashi in Korakuen. All in the G1.

klonere

Banned
That line up is underwhelming, imo.

Disappointed about no Cole or...?

Looks great to me

- No Tenzan (although I appreciate he really tries during G1, including that great match with Elgin last year)
- No Yujiro, Loa
- Marufuji, Nakajima both excellent picks from NOAH (Nakajima is politically a big deal no idea why)
- SANADA and YOSHI both in with SANADA getting a lot of mentions on commentary as the whole thing unveiled.
- Many many different amazing singles matches, like Naito vs Omega among others. Like holy shit.

Recall

What's with WCW matches having weird awkward looking finishes?

Finished Clash of Champions 18. Main event Austin and Rude vs Steamboat and Sting.

Both Steamboat and Sting ended up on top of Austin and the ref counts the 3 while Rude just stands there. Then they awkwardly hit moves on each other as its declared over. It looks super weak.

Here's the first time matches in the tournament this year;

Block A -

. Marufuji vs Makabe, SANADA, Okada, Tonga, Goto, Fale & Ishii
. Sanada vs Makabe, Tanahashi, Tonga, Fale & Ishii
. Tanahashi vs Tonga

Block B -

. Nakajima vs Elgin, Nagata, Naito, EVIL, Yano & YOSHI
. Elgin vs Shibata & Yano
. Shibata vs EVIL & Omega
. Naito vs EVIL & Omega
. EVIL vs Yano & Omega
. Yano vs Omega

Disappointed about no Cole or...?

Looks great to me

- No Tenzan (although I appreciate he really tries during G1, including that great match with Elgin last year)
- No Yujiro, Loa
- Marufuji, Nakajima both excellent picks from NOAH (Nakajima is politically a big deal no idea why)
- SANADA and YOSHI both in with SANADA getting a lot of mentions on commentary as the whole thing unveiled.
- Many many different amazing singles matches, like Naito vs Omega among others. Like holy shit.

I'm sure I'll get in to once it starts. But no Misu is a bit of a bummer. Yano sthick is a little old. Not a believer in yoshi yet.

This might be a bit of a nitpick but I wish it was shorter, last year was insane to keep up with

It was really cool to hear the reaction for YOSHI-HASHI in the G1, crowd was super excited and then the CHAOS vs LIJ tag match was another awesome bout centred around him and SANADA. Really looking forward to seeing how he does in the G1.

The Korakuen crowd seemed determined to let Okada know that they were rooting for Naito, so it was good to see Okada slightly heeling it up as Tanahashi would.

Wait, the guerrillas of destiny are finished? Or it's just that the rubbish one of the two doesn't have a match at G1?

Tanga Loa's not done with NJPW, they sent G.O.D. to CMLL for a month or so and then Tana will be back for the G1 and Loa will likely return at Destruction.

miserable

meh at that G1 lineup. no Suzuki is a huge bummer. there isn't really one match that i'm interested in. maybe Sanada vs Tana. otherwise i'll just watch the final ( i really hope it's not gonna be Naito vs Okada)

klonere

Banned
I'm so ready for Liverpool's Number 1 to get the belt so he can finally be recognized as the WEEEERLD'S NUMBER 1

Can't wait to see what got him the mega heat. He's becoming a complete package - character, wrestling and promo. As I said, no problem with him being PROGRESS champ but another heel champ would be lame.

It was really cool to hear the reaction for YOSHI-HASHI in the G1, crowd was super excited and then the CHAOS vs LIJ tag match was another awesome bout centred around him and SANADA. Really looking forward to seeing how he does in the G1.

The Korakuen crowd seemed determined to let Okada know that they were rooting for Naito, so it was good to see Okada slightly heeling it up as Tanahashi would.

Yaaasss heel Okada. Let it happen. It's best for everyone involved.

shanafan

Note to anyone who wants to make WWE comments on YouTube, Reddit, etc.

- It's Bret Hart, not Brett
- It's Bayley, not Bailey
- It's Shawn Michaels, not Sean

That's all ;)

Tanga Loa's not done with NJPW, they sent G.O.D. to CMLL for a month or so and then Tana will be back for the G1 and Loa will likely return at Destruction.

I see, thanks.

Note to anyone who wants to make WWE comments on YouTube, Reddit, etc.

- It's Bret Hart, not Brett
- It's Bayley, not Bailey
- It's Shawn Michaels, not Sean

That's all ;)

more like

- It's Bayley, not It's Bailey

So much so he managed to be outed from the company before Kane could return for his revenge.
So instead Kane came back to save AMERICA and perform a Spineroonie.

Yaaasss heel Okada. Let it happen. It's best for everyone involved.

He'll never go full heel, at least in the immediate future, it'll have to be a Tanahashi-like situation.

what happened with Sasaki and NJ?

Lots of things. Sasaki killed a trainee in the mid 90's, causing NJ to lose Hiroshi Hase. Riki Choshu hated him ever since, then Sasaki quit during Inoki Madness when they wanted him to do MMA (vs Minoru Suzuki, incidentally). He came back a year later as a traitor heel, then turned face and said he'd win back the fan's respect before leaving again in 2005. Choshu really dislikes him and Gedo & Jado are Choshu's boys, so he's wasn't really in good standing with the office. Nakajima's been in NJPW before, but never stuck around as he was too loyal to Sasaki, which isn't such an issue now that Sasaki's retired.

Kaladin

WWE Summer 1997 really is the best.

Heel Bret is killing it on the mic with his team of lions. Real Ass Stone Cold is gonna Real Ass Stone Cold. Undertaker is destroying fools as champ. HBK is about to come back. The Nation is ramping up. Honky Tonk Man looks like a chump. The Rock is a piece of trash.

And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so.

Anth0ny

Heel Bret is killing it on the mic with his team of lions. Real Ass Stone Cold is gonna Real Ass Stone Cold. Undertaker is destroying fools as champ. HBK is about to come back. The Nation is ramping up. Honky Tonk Man looks like a chump. The Rock is a piece of trash.

wwf in 1997 is sooooooooooooo good

has aged so well, too. probably better than 98 and 99.

Sephzilla

96 and 97 WWE was the best

miserable

Lots of things. Sasaki killed a trainee in the mid 90's, causing NJ to lose Hiroshi Hase. Riki Choshu hated him ever since, then Sasaki quit during Inoki Madness when they wanted him to do MMA (vs Minoru Suzuki, incidentally). He came back a year later as a traitor heel, then turned face and said he'd win back the fan's respect before leaving again in 2005. Choshu really dislikes him and Gedo & Jado are Choshu's boys, so he's wasn't really in good standing with the office. Nakajima's been in NJPW before, but never stuck around as he was too loyal to Sasaki, which isn't such an issue now that Sasaki's retired.

is this really true? or is it "Macho touched Steph"- like myth?

97 felt like the real attitude era.

- heel hart foundation
- austin at his rawest
- brian pillman
- dx at its best

It also wasn't as... for lack of a better term slick as wwf would start to become in '98.

Also that long term booking - could you imagine a feud with as slow a burn as taker/kane? When did bearer start threatening taker, May? A YEAR LONG build. Today vince would get fed up and pull the trigger in a couple of weeks (like he did with punk after MITB).

is this really true? or is it "Macho touched Steph"- like myth?

Hiromitsu Gompei - he was an amateur wrestler who Hiroshi Hase recruited for the NJ dojo. Not many details ever emerged, other than he died during training and under Kensuke's supervision, but there were a ton of rumours in the press that Kensuke had roughed him up and he died as a result.

Didn't 2k or THQ want punk on the cover but the WWE pushed them to have HHH?

I swear if heard that story.

I can't quite remember, Punk eventually got his cover for WWE13, last one I recall Trips being on was SD vs Raw 2009 with HBK.

But I do recall that one year where screenshots of the game weren't allowed to show HHH in a vulnerable position.

Top Bottom