• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Striker

i love KO

tjg8q6U.gif
The first time he has a match on the main show, his opponent should do this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vince is working all of us. He wants us to either rejoice when he gets his year long ban bet or regret it tremendously if Punk loses.

We've been conditioned, thanks to the media and more, that older = uglier. That you have to chase this ridiculous ideal of youth. This isn't a new revelation, it just shows itself in different ways.

I find it interesting that Stephanie McMahon is hated so much now since she has actual power in the WWE. I wonder how much of that hate is due to seeing a successful woman who refuses to be an object for everyone?

Sephzilla

Did it ever occur to you that maybe people view younger Stephanie McMahon as more attractive because younger Steph fight more of their desires in a woman? Because lets be real, she was.. um.. well endowed back then. Also nobody is saying modern Steph is even remotely unattractive.

I wonder how much of that hate is due to seeing a successful woman who refuses to be an object for everyone?

Halo-_Reach_box_art.png

Aiii

So not worth it
There's perfectly reasonable scientific explanations to explain why women are more appealing to heterosexual men during the time they're more likely to produce healthy and strong offspring.

Not everything is social construct.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty clear who in here is pro-GG, Sephzilla.

MdluDMP.gif

Also I just said I wondered how much of that hate was due for that reason, no need to get defensive.

I'm wearing a wrestling t-shirt, jorts and flip flops into work tomorrow

I'm going to tell my boss taste is a social construct and basing a dress code off is nothing but tyranny.

Only works if your boss is aware of this. If not, you'll be treated like an object and they'll fire you.

There's perfectly reasonable scientific explanations to explain why women are more appealing to heterosexual men during the time they're more likely to produce healthy and strong offspring.

Not everything is social construct.

That's later in life that they are. 39 is absolutely VERY healthy and strong age.

I find it interesting that Stephanie McMahon is hated so much now since she has actual power in the WWE. I wonder how much of that hate is due to seeing a successful woman who refuses to be an object for everyone?

They hate her for the same reasons they hate Vince and Triple H: Because she's a horrible boss more concerned with her own ego and pushing what she thinks is "best for business" over actually producing an entertaining product for the fans.

rrc1594

WTF is happening here

They hate her for the same reasons they hate Vince and Triple H: Because she's a horrible boss more concerned with her own ego and pushing what she thinks is "best for business" over actually producing an entertaining product for the fans.

Triple H is in charge of the most entertaining things from WWE tho

jmdajr

You all ever hear about that story with the chimp killing a woman's friend? Goddamn, I'm NEVER fucking with primates for the rest of my life. Stay gone, assholes. NO.

It's chilling. I listened to the 911 call. Primates are so fucked up. Their defensive reaction is to PEEL YOUR GENITALS OFF AND THEN TAKE YOUR EYES. And they have that primate strength.

God, what a terrible old story.

Yes. What a fucking nightmare.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I'd like it if that were the case, and I don't doubt a lot of it is. But there's an underlying current of hate for her no matter what she does. You see people pick apart her philanthropy efforts and her job as a brand ambassador. Why is that? Because they can't separate the character from the person? But the only people complaining about that CAN separate the two. So why is that?

I hate women, blacks, and gays because I like women my age. I think.

I'm not sure why you brought up gay people and black people. Hmm.

Sephzilla

So friends I've been spending a lot of time catching up on Game of Thrones because I was almost 4 seasons behind. I just finished season 4 yesterday and I'm worried, because season 4 ends on a surprisingly upbeat note by GoT standards

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So friends I've been spending a lot of time catching up on Game of Thrones because I was almost 4 seasons behind. I just finished season 4 yesterday and I'm worried, because season 4 ends on a surprisingly upbeat note by GoT standards

Keep going

jmdajr

Its sucks that by the time you gain all the knowledge, your body starts falling apart.

Feeling better than 20? NOPE.
Far less of an idiot? Yeah. For the most part.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Biologically speaking that's just not true, under 35 is the number.

Evolution is a mystery, but not really.

goddammit lol

Also you're making determinations based on cishet assumptions

Started season 5 last night too. This show is so goddamn good.

Btw, Red Wedding left me legit shook.

I was on the toilet, shitting my eyes out at 2am when I read that part. I almost put that shit down for good.

klonere

Banned
This weeks Review-a-Wai was pretty brutal when it came to the assessment of Steph as head of creative. Botched Invasion, Stone Cold walk out, panic return of The Rock, panic end of Flair/McMahon co-ownership, horrific women's storylines, main title being hotshot all over the place, the NWO, brand split already failing, huge PPV buyrate drops....

imBask

Banned
I was writing a post about social constructs and I realized I was getting into an argument with the equivalent of the tea party, but on the left side

Sunny pls

Sephzilla

I was on the toilet, shitting my eyes out at 2am when I read that part. I almost put that shit down for good.

I love that George RR Martin gives absolutely no fucks about killing off important characters. Normally I hate the "kill a character to raise the steaks" trope in entertainment but Martin really makes it work, and I think it's aided by the fact that he tends to kill big characters in ways that feel completely out of nowhere. Or at surprising times during a season/book. Like
Ned Stark dying, he's the main character of season one and his death isn't even the goddamn season finale. Or Joffrey dying 2 episodes into season 4
. Shit like that keeps you really on edge and I love it

jmdajr

I love that George RR Martin gives absolutely no fucks about killing off important characters. Normally I hate the "kill a character to raise the steaks" trope in entertainment but Martin really makes it work, and I think it's aided by the fact that he tends to kill big characters in ways that feel completely out of nowhere. Or at surprising times during a season/book. Like
Ned Stark dying, he's the main character of season one and his death isn't even the goddamn season finale. Or Joffrey dying 2 episodes into season 4
. Shit like that keeps you really on edge and I love it

I said this before, but I went back to watch GOT episode 1 and it's like watching an earlier Wrestlemania (6/7).
Everyone is dead brother!

I watched all that bullshit in 3 weeks. Season 1-6. My wife and kids were on vacation and this was my only chance. Now I can understand GOT memes. What a life triumph!

edit: GOT and WWE do share some common themes. Weddings for one.
don't turn out well

And stuff like Daniel Bryan at Summerslam.
completely unfair! how could this happen! no!!!!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was writing a post about social constructs and I realized I was getting into an argument with the equivalent of the tea party, but on the left side

Sunny pls

Doesn't make what I'm saying wrong, pal.

Aiii

So not worth it
Season 5 is rather shit, but luckily you can get through that quickly and move on to Season 6, which is superb.

Sephzilla

My favorite character in season 4 was this motherfucker

Oberyn_Martell-Pedro_Pascal.jpg

Just shows up, has no qualms about telling all the Lannisters to get fucked, and is the swaggest son of a bitch in King's Landing.
Too bad he has to job to the goddamn Mountain

Tom Nook

PlayStation Vue question here:

I live in the west coast (PST). On the USA network, can I watch WWE RAW/Smackdown live at 5pm my time? or wait till 8pm?

imBask

Banned
Doesn't make what I'm saying wrong, pal.

You're literally using the "you can't prove god isn't real, so i'm right" argument, you're better than that

I don't find Stephanie McMahon pretty, and I don't find Shane McMahon pretty, The McMahons are an ugly family in every sense of the word

put that in your social construct pipe sunny, i'll fight you

Ithil

Season 5 has a few high points like Hardhome, much of the King's Landing plot, that one jail scene (wink), but overall it was a weird step down in writing and production, like it was suddenly from a lesser show with more aimless plots and underdeveloped characters. I remember those long, slow scenes from around season 1 and 2 that brought a lot of depth to characters who aren't around that long (like Robert), there were none of those.

Not to mention some very questionable alterations to the source material. Changes must be made, but just make sure they're good changes.

Season 6 was a return to form, even if they still have some pacing problems and rushed plots (like that scurry to clear the board of characters during the first few episodes with sudden killing off of major characters to no fanfare).

jmdajr

Season 5 is rather shit, but luckily you can get through that quickly and move on to Season 6, which is superb.

It was a super bummer. Shame!

But that Hardhome though.

Every other season rips your soul really(1,3,5). so 7 is gonna be some shit.

edit: never read the books. Didn't read LOTR. Didn't read Harry Potter. etc. Works for me. Less complaining.
Imagine if WWE had source material?

Sephzilla

I like to believe Oberyn Martel vs The Mountain is a premonition of what Osprey vs Vader will be

I've already noticed that the odd number seasons tend to be the ones that crush you. Oh god... I dont know what happens in season 5

Ithil

edit: never read the books. Didn't read LOTR. Didn't read Harry Potter. etc. Works for me. Less complaining.
Imagine if WWE had source material?

I don't like to do that "Read the books bro" thing, but uh, read the books, bro. I like the show but it can't even touch the level of depth and detail of the books.

jmdajr

Who are the biggest winners in film adaption?

Comic books fans?
Potter fans?
LOTR fans?
GOT fans?
Manga fans?

Really it's almost im[possible to fuck up manga/anime translation but I am sure this still happens.

I'm pretty ok with just watching the shows.

Outside of comics I am usually pretty unaware of source material.

Sephzilla

Comic books fans?
Potter fans?
LOTR fans?
GOT fans?
Manga fans?

Really it's almost im[possible to fuck up manga translation but I am sure thsi still happens.

I'd probably say comic book fans. Because they've gotten decent movies that also ignore a ton of the really stupid fucking shit that happens in the comic books. I don't think we're ever going to see a day where Peter Parker gives birth to himself in a movie. So I think they win out via addition from subtraction. LOTR fans got stuck with The Hobbit movies. GOT fans are still stuck with the possibility of Martin dying before finishing the story.

jmdajr

I watched the first 2 seasons of Walking Dead and I thought it was a good adaption that didn't try to match the comic books page by page.

I think that's good. Surprises can be good. Can be.

Mahonay

Banned
At the 2002 King of the Ring commentary is already mentioning RVD's "educated feet". We can blame JR for the beginning of this scourge.

Ithil

Comic books fans?
Potter fans?
LOTR fans?
GOT fans?
Manga fans?

Really it's almost im[possible to fuck up manga/anime translation but I am sure this still happens.

LOTR fans, probably. There's a huge number of changes and compressions in the LOTR films compared to the books, not all of them for the better, but overall the trilogy of films are excellent and do capture the spirit of the books overall. The Hobbit films were pretty...uh....yeah, but you have a modern classic in the LOTR film trilogy, none of the other properties can say that.

The HP films are adequate but I don't think they ever really captured the feel of the books very well, either from direction or budget, or both. Hell of a cast mind.

Comic book fans now ought to be having a ball, though, with all the films and TV shows that have moved past that early to late 2000s "Ashamed to be a comic book adaptation" problem and are totally embracing their source material. Stuff like the MCU has balanced pragmatic adaptation that gets all the core stuff right while cutting out the extra nonsense that accumulates over decades of comics. Sure they're just summer blockbuster types without much depth, but that's ok, they're well constructed ones.

BvS blew, though.

Top Bottom