• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

So... what is the story behind the infamous Muhammad Ali versus Inoki match?

My basic idea is it was just meant to be your classic wrestler versus boxer pro wrestling style match but since Inoki is Inoki and cant be trusted not to randomly start shootin' mid match Ali made the condition that he wasn't allowed grapple or punch. And could only kick with one knee on the ground. Likewise Ali wasnt allowed do any fast strikes. So in the end you had Antonio Inoki kicking Muhammad Ali repeatedly in the leg for 15 rounds and not much else.

In the end was that a actual shoot fight or pro wrestling match?

Austin sure does talk a lot of shit for a guy who has a paperback spine and neck. If I were Michael Cole, I'd take a brick right to the side of his neck and show him who a bad ass really is. Puasy ass rattlesnake, serves him right that Taker put him through a window.

Fox318

My basic idea is it was just meant to be your classic wrestler versus boxer pro wrestling style match but since Inoki is Inoki and cant be trusted not to randomly start shootin' mid match Ali made the condition that he wasn't allowed grapple or punch. And could only kick with one knee on the ground. Likewise Ali wasnt allowed do any fast strikes. So in the end you had Antonio Inoki kicking Muhammad Ali repeatedly in the leg for 15 rounds and not much else.

that whole thing is so fucking bizarre.

Ali ruined his career over some fucking fake ass wrestling thing that turned into a shoot because Inoki wanted to go over. Its a lesson to every fighter that you don't go into something you havn't trained properly for and you have to have the rules set into fucking stone beforehand.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Masato Tanaka vs Pentagon Jr
image622scx.jpg

dsadsasdaasdfphstk.jpg

what a time to be alive

Entropia

No One Remembers

That was my understanding as well.

I think it was a 'fixed' shoot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Amazing to see Rey Horus in an AAA arena in the Lucha Mega Powers team with fucking Rey Mysterio and Dr Wagner Jr

must be a huge moment for him

Zach

David Flair is atrocious. How did Ric let this happen? Even as his dad, I can't imagine him being like "yeah, he's doing okay..." What an embarrassment.

According to what I remember from blassies book, it was supposed to be a work, but when Ali got there, his camp saw how small inoki was and convinced Ali that he would look bad if Ali didn't just go out and beat him, so it turned into a shoot.

Top Bottom