• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

Recall

Watching No Way Out 2009 right now on the network and it begins with a Shane McMahon video package!

Also JBL vs HBK - All or Nothing!

The set design is cool too. Miss that.

UberTag

Gotta love the logic of how the ref's just "sure, whatever, go ahead". I think it helps make Edge's reaction after pinning Cena too, it's not just "Oh shit, we pinned him.", but there's also the "Bloody hell, I cant' believe they let me away with that in the first place" aspect as well.

Also, this reminds me of how I started watching again when Edge first won the belt... Jeez I picked a good time.
Edge was blessed with countless chances to screw Cena over as the ultimate opportunist... and Cena put him over a bunch. Which is why he remains Cena's greatest rival and why almost every Cena feud since has sucked complete ass. Not only that but Edge helped to elevate Cena by giving him a legitimate obstacle to overcome as opposed to the BS "overcome the odds" shenanigans they trot out for him now that have no merit whatsoever.

I mean, they were trading the belt back and forth in 2006 and this was 2 1/2 years later. Edge was always a thorn in Cena's side which helped to keep him honest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wasn't that the one during the brand split where Edge just randomly entered both of the EC matches and took the title from the other brand for some reason

Mizerman

Edge was blessed with countless chances to screw Cena over as the ultimate opportunist... and Cena put him over a bunch. Which is why he remains Cena's greatest rival and why almost every Cena feud since has sucked complete ass. Not only that but Edge helped to elevate Cena by giving him a legitimate obstacle to overcome as opposed to the BS "overcome the odds" shenanigans they trot out for him now that have no merit whatsoever.

I mean, they were trading the belt back and forth in 2006 and this was 2 1/2 years later. Edge was always a thorn in Cena's side which helped to keep him honest.

Yeah, I enjoyed the Edge/Cena feud for what it was. Edge was that one thing that Cena couldn't shake off so easily.

Aye, they had a really good dynamic together.

Should they have went with Cena vs Edge at Mania? As much as the match with Foley definitely helped Edge, feels like they wasted an opportunity there. Of course, that's left HHH with bugger all, can't be having that.

UberTag

Wasn't that the one during the brand split where Edge just randomly entered both of the EC matches and took the title from the other brand for some reason
Yep. That second chamber match might be the finest Rey Mysterio exhibition I've ever seen as well. Dude earned his pay that night.

Striker

I have fond memories of No Way Out 2009. Edge was in both chamber matches that night and effectively traded world title belts. Plus, Cena got beaten in one of the most shocking eliminations that match has ever seen entering last and getting hit by a codebreaker (Jericho), a 619 (Mysterio) and a spear (Edge) in sequence and getting pinned in the span of about 4 minutes.
I haven't seen that sequence in a while, but didn't that Cena pinfall get cheered?

UberTag

I haven't seen that sequence in a while, but didn't that Cena pinfall get cheered?
Naturally. The crowd went nuts. Seattle's a pretty anti-establishment fanbase. We all remember the RAW where they drowned out Triple H and Stephanie back-patting all of the great world champions with Daniel Bryan chants. (Of course, him being the hometown boy helped that along.)

It always amuses me that both of these classic moments were from the same arena at different times...

edge-wwe.gif

tumblr_mxkqquV7xk1rnjfjfo1_400.gif

Recall

So best WWE PPV openers ever:

Bret vs Owen - WM10
Orient Express vs Rockers - Royal Rumble 91
Jeff Hardy vs Koslov vs Big Show vs HHH vs Undertaker vs Edge - No Way Out 2009

Fox318

y2j's show this week was with Rollins and its a good one.

Vince got rid of the curbstomp because some suit from the today show got to him or because he can't stop thinking about his kids fucking

y2j's show this week was with Rollins and its a good one.

Vince got rid of the curbstomp because some suit from the today show got to him or because he can't stop thinking about his kids fucking

Are you fucking kidding me? Curb stomp fit Seth so well, not this damn pedigree.

UberTag

Are you fucking kidding me? Curb stomp fit Seth so well, not this damn pedigree.
Triple H just wants to have his pedigree vs. pedigree match against Seth to show him up and inflate his ego further. Trips will probably insist on being the face in the feud when it happens, too.

Nekofrog

Banned
Sad to hear about Muhammad Ali, he embodied both the sports and the entertainment aspects of sports entertainment, and was such an important figure in American culture for what he did in and outside of the ring.

Fox318

Triple H just wants to have his pedigree vs. pedigree match against Seth to show him up and inflate his ego further. Trips will probably insist on being the face in the feud when it happens, too.

He talked about that. He said HHH didn't want to give the move to him and it was Rollins who went up to Vince.

Smart as fuck move by Rollins as he will never be buried if he has Vince's fake son's finisher as one of his key moves.

Recall

Orton vs Shane was good stuff. That monitor shot to the head of Orton was brutal.

Skipping Finlay vs Swagger because fuck Swagger.

Recall

So No Way Out 2009 was a wonderful PPV.

The 2 Elimination Chamber matches were simply incredible. Orton vs Shane was good. JBL vs HBK was ok. Swagger vs Finlay was bad.

5 matches, 3 totally worth your attention. That's a massive thumbs up.

UberTag

So No Way Out 2009 was a wonderful PPV.

The 2 Elimination Chamber matches were simply incredible. Orton vs Shane was good. JBL vs HBK was ok. Swagger vs Finlay was bad.

5 matches, 3 totally worth your attention. That's a massive thumbs up.
I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better post-Royal Rumble, pre-Wrestlemania PPV to be perfectly honest.

Plenty of time for Styles to pick up losses to Cena on Raws or SmackDowns, Night of Champions, Hell in a Cell, Survivor Series, TLC, the Rumble, and Fast Lane though.

Heel

Matt Hardy laying down the best angle in wrestling. If you don't see that, you may be taking this stuff a little too seriously. This is peak carny.

Whenever I think of Cena/Edge, I think of the I Hate You Cutting Edge interview, which was around that time. Christ, that feud was AMAZING. And it stayed hot for almost three years.

Top Bottom