• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

That's like 90% of finishers.

Either way, I don't see why people are still mad about the Styles Clash, not a single finisher is protected anymore.

What was the last one? Cena's FU?
Pop up powerbomb had been fairly well protected. I'm all for finishers to be a thing of the past, but only if we go the full distance to letting people get pinfalls after all sorts of moves.

Vince didn't resign The Rock because he played a gay man in a movie.

Plus HHH convinced him that the Rock would come crawling back after he didn't make it in Hollywood.
This makes me laugh every time, coming from the mark who worked himself into a shoot.

Fox318

This makes me laugh every time, coming from the mark who worked himself into a shoot.

0ywpzf3.gif

HHH believes everyone needs him and they'll always come back if they leave him
You're better off dead with that logic. He makes no one look great and we could've done without him. Shane Douglas could've replaced him and it would be the same(considering they're both the same person).

bjork

I was horribly bad in the month of may. Tons of sugar, ice cream, frozen food, etc. But it's bedtime for me, so that's it! Fresh start when I wake up tonight. I'm gonna be like that japanese dude who was a fatty but now he's all buff. Or at least, less round.

Fox318

The Rock may have lost all of his fake wresting matches but compared to HHH he won real life.

I mean look back at the Rock's championship run in 99 and 2000. They fucking wanted to make Billy Gunn a main eventer and refused to get the rock a fucking big win.

One thing you have to give Austin credit is that he wanted to put the rock over at the end.

I mean Austin's last fucking match and he almost died the night before and he still wanted to pay the rock back.

HHH would have pulled a HBK and "injured" himself before mania.

You're never off dead with that logic. He makes no one look great and we could've done without him. Shane Douglas could've replaced him and it would be the same(considering they're both the same person).

Him vs Sting accomplished nothing except putting him over. 3H had to become champion in order to make Roman look good. I can never understand that.

The Rock may have lost all of his fake wresting matches but compared to HHH he won real life.

I mean look back at the Rock's championship run in 99 and 2000. They fucking wanted to make Billy Gunn a main eventer and refused to get the rock a fucking big win.

One thing you have to give Austin credit is that he wanted to put the rock over at the end.

I mean Austin's last fucking match and he almost died the night before and he still wanted to pay the rock back.

The Rock is one of those wrestling legends where his name just commands respect. Kinda like how Flair used to.

Tagyhag

Pop up powerbomb had been fairly well protected. I'm all for finishers to be a thing of the past, but only if we go the full distance to letting people get pinfalls after all sorts of moves.

Ah yeah that one is fairly protected.

I'm actually in the pro-finisher camp.

Say what you will about 80's wrestling, but it was cool knowing that it was all but over with a finisher, and being shocked when someone kicked out.

With the talent of today's wrestlers, I think it'd be cool if we went back to super protected finishers and they can just learn new moves or signatures to spice it up. Instead of the spam fest that we have now.

AJ STYLES TELEVISION WIN-LOSS RECORD SINCE DEBUTING FOR WWE

January 24th - Eliminated by Kevin Owens in the Royal Rumble match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship (eventually won by Triple H) - 0-1
January 25th - Pinfall victory over Chris Jericho on Monday Night RAW - 1-1
January 26th - Pinfall victory over Curtis Axel on Smackdown - 2-1 (only successful use of the Styles Clash to win a match)
February 2nd - Submission victory over The Miz on Smackdown - 3-1
February 9th - Tag team pinfall victory (w/ Chris Jericho) over The Social Outcasts (Adam Rose & Curtis Axel) on Smackdown - 4-1
February 9th - Pinfall loss to Chris Jericho on Smackdown - 4-2
February 15th - Submission victory over The Miz on Monday Night RAW - 5-2
February 21st - Submission victory over Chris Jericho at WWE Fastlane - 6-2
February 22nd - Tag team submission victory (w/ Chris Jericho) over The Social Outcasts (Curtis Axel & Heath Slater) on Monday Night RAW - 7-2
February 23rd - Tag team submission victory (w/ Chris Jericho & Mark Henry) over The New Day on Smackdown - 8-2
February 29th - Tag team submission victory (w/ Chris Jericho) over The New Day (Big E & Kofi Kingston) on Monday Night RAW - 9-2
March 1st - Pinfall victory over Kofi Kingston on Smackdown - 10-2
March 7th - Tag team pinfall loss (w/ Chris Jericho) to The New Day (Big E & Kofi Kingston) in a match for the WWE Tag Team Championship on Monday Night RAW - 10-3
March 15th - Pinfall loss to Kevin Owens on Smackdown - 10-4
March 21st - Pinfall loss to Kevin Owens on Monday Night RAW - 10-5
March 22nd - Pinfall victory over Tyler Breeze on Smackdown - 11-5
March 28th - Pinfall victory over Heath Slater on Smackdown - 12-5
April 3rd - Pinfall loss to Chris Jericho at WrestleMania 32 - 12-6
April 4th - Pinfall victory in Fatal 4-Way match over Cesaro, Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens on Monday Night RAW - 13-6 (to be named #1 contender for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship)
April 5th - Tag team pinfall victory (w/ Cesaro) over Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens on Smackdown - 14-6
April 11th - Pinfall victory over Sami Zayn on Monday Night RAW - 15-6
April 12th - Pinfall victory over Alberto Del Rio on Smackdown - 16-6
April 19th - Pinfall victory over The Miz on Smackdown - 17-6
April 25th - Pinfall victory over Sheamus on Monday Night RAW - 18-6
May 1st - Pinfall loss to Roman Reigns in a No DQ / No Countout match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WWE Payback - 18-7 (although Styles did win the match twice before those stips were added)
May 2nd - Tag team pinfall victory (w/ The Club) over Roman Reigns and The Usos on Monday Night RAW - 19-7
May 3rd - Tag team pinfall loss (w/ The Club) to Roman Reigns and The Usos on Smackdown - 19-8
May 9th - Tag team DQ loss (w/ The Club) in a Tag Elimination match to Roman Reigns and The Usos on Monday Night RAW - 19-9
May 22nd - Pinfall loss to Roman Reigns in an Extreme Rules match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WWE Extreme Rules - 19-10
May 23rd - Pinfall loss to Kevin Owens on Monday Night RAW - 19-11 (Money in the Bank qualification match)

Noteworthy observations...
- AJ Styles has never been submitted in a match
- AJ Styles is 0-3 against Kevin Owens in singles competition
- AJ Styles is 3-0 against The Miz in singles competition
- Y2AJ were perfect in tag team competition apart from losing their one match for the titles (perhaps they can tag again post-Money in the Bank if Balor fails to get called up)
- AJ's heel turn and The Club challenging The New Day means we should get more opportunities to see him in the ring against Xavier Woods (this is a VERY good thing)

In reality, he should be 25-5. WWE once again is clueless here.

#Protectfinishers

It's sad when Shawn comes back and even he didn't like the way Hunter did a few things. I forgot what the match was on Raw but Shawn thought someone should've won over him but Hunter and Vince said otherwise. It was Edge before he was leaving for Smackdown to win the title and he just shook his head. But that shit he pulls has ruined the business imo or helped ruin it. Don't bring your stupid fucking family into the business especially when you're going to focus on specifically putting them over.

Him vs Sting accomplished nothing except putting him over. 3H had to become champion in order to make Roman look good. I can never understand that.
And still accomplished nothing, they just hated the guy they were supposed to love even more.

So The Seth thing is why I pay 10 bucks for the netwrok. Good stuff.

Do you guys get the feeling that he really doesn't like taking pics or signing shit for fans tho?

What segment failed me last night was the Steph lashing out on Charlotte. I was expecting Charlotte having to go through a gauntlet of matches just for punishment.

Jesus christ the back and forth on Cena/burrying is too much. Sometimes I feel like fans focus way too much on some of this stuff to the point it begins to ruin what's going on in front of them.
Yep. The weirdest part to me is how the people who talk about these things so intensely don't see they're the biggest marks in the world. They discuss wrestling like children who take it way too seriously, except they should be old enough to know better.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I was so sure Rollins was getting a huge face push when he returned. All the mistakes they made during his title reign could have basically been undone. But they're literally continuing where they left off before the injury. I don't get it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What segment failed me last night was the Steph lashing out on Charlotte. I was expecting Charlotte having to go through a gauntlet of matches just for punishment.

Meltzer and Alvarez really hated that segment because they were upset that the previous plotline was that Charlotte was cheating by relying on her father, so they didn't understand why Steph would be mad at her for it, but I think they're wrong. The point of it was to make Charlotte look like an asshole by firing a guy who completely does cheat (but also can't be booed because he's Ric Flair), and she did look like an asshole.

The point was to separate her from Flair, while still holding the title, without her actually turning face. I personally think it works better from that perspective to not give Charlotte a logical reason to fire Ric (e.g. he tried to interfere and fucked it up).

I was so sure Rollins was getting a huge face push when he returned. All the mistakes they made during his title reign could have basically been undone. But they're literally continuing where they left off before the injury. I don't get it.

I agree, but it also seems pretty apparent that Vince is straight up trolling the crowd with it, so at least in theory (obviously this isn't always true) there should be a payoff for it.

imBask

Banned
how anyone though Rollins was coming back as a face is beyond me. Roman Reigns is the champ and they still want people to love him, they'll throw every single decent heel at him now, then and forever

Hycran

Banned
Meltzer and Alvarez really hated that segment because they were upset that the previous plotline was that Charlotte was cheating by relying on her father, so they didn't understand why Steph would be mad at her for it

Steph is turning face because her book is coming out

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Steph is turning face because her book is coming out

That wasn't their point. Their point was that they brought in Dr. Phil, Becky, Natalya, etc. who were all pushing for Charlotte to dump Ric because he was a bad influence (turning her heel). The point wasn't to establish Steph as a face (at least not really), it was to reiterate that Charlotte was still a heel even though she fired Ric (because the previous implication was that she was only heel because Ric was there, which is actually true - she turned heel when Ric showed up).

It's not like Charlotte ist going to stop cheating, she's just going to have Dana do the cheating instead of Ric.

Hex

Banned

Why waste it on the return when they can do it like they did with the swerve-ish Rollins.
When he turns a few months from now the pop will dwarf his return

Barrage

Styles and Cena was fucking electric.

With Styles and Rollins, every PPV should have two ****ish matches.

Yesterday was garbage but theyve got so much talent im still excited.

DMczaf

Meltzer is saying Vince still has final say on who 2K puts in the games and 2K has tried for years to put Goldberg in the games and "for whatever reason, this year they were allowed to make the deal. So you can probably read between the lines..."

Sephzilla

Meltzer is saying Vince still has final say on who 2K puts in the games and 2K has tried for years to put Goldberg in the games and "for whatever reason, this year they were allowed to make the deal. So you can probably read between the lines..."

Goldberg was in 2k14, though

imBask

Banned
do you think we'll get RAW and Smackdown PPVs or are they going to be combined? I don't think I can live through a PPV every 2 weeks

Barrage

Expect Goldberg to headline the HOF in 2017.

Just please, dont have him wrestle. he looked closer to Christopher Daniels than the Goldberg we remember.

UberTag

- AJ Styles has never been submitted in a match
I have a feeling this is gonna change sooner rather than later.
I'd lay heavy odds on Styles tapping out to an STF at some point in the next ~2 months or so.

Cena has a submission victory over most of his recent feud victims elevations including Rollins (RAW - 07/27/15), Owens (Battleground 2015) and Rusev (Payback 2015). No reason Styles should be any different.

John Cena's recent losses in singles competition...
- Hell in a Cell (October 25th, 2015) - Lost the US title to Alberto Del Rio via pinfall
- SummerSlam (August 23rd, 2015) - Lost the US title to Seth Rollins via pinfall (would get his win and title back at Night of Champions in September; pinned Rollins again the next night on RAW)
- Elimination Chamber (May 31st, 2015) - Lost to Kevin Owens via pinfall (would get his win back at Money in the Bank in June; submitted Owens at Battleground in July)
- Fastlane (February 22nd, 2015) - Lost to Rusev via submission (would get his win back and Rusev's US title at WrestleMania in March; won a Russian Chain match at Extreme Rules in April; submitted Rusev in an "I Quit" match at Payback in May)
- RAW (January 12th, 2015) - Lost to Seth Rollins in a Lumberjack match via pinfall (would get his win back the very next week in a 1 vs. 3 handicap match against Rollins, Kane and The Big Show - Rollins ate the pin; would submit Rollins in July to build for their Summerslam title vs. title match)
- RAW (December 15th, 2014) - Lost to Seth Rollins in a Steel Cage match via escape (would get his win back the very next week on RAW via pinfall)
- RAW (October 13th, 2014) - Lost to Dean Ambrose in a "No Holds Barred Contract on a Pole" match (would get his win back in a US Open Challenge match on RAW in March)
- SummerSlam (August 17th, 2014) - Lost To Brock Lesnar via pinfall (Cena's last WWE world title reign; didn't get his win back from Brock although he did hit 4 AAs on Brock the next month at Night of Champions before Rollins interfered to cause the DQ)
- Extreme Rules (May 4th, 2014) - Lost to Bray Wyatt in a Steel Cage match via pinfall after a spooky child thwarted his escape (would get his win back in a Last Man Standing match at Payback in June; had already won their first match at WrestleMania)
- Royal Rumble (January 26th, 2014) - Lost to Randy Orton via pinfall (would get his win back 2 weeks later on RAW; would also pin Randy in a Hell in a Cell match in October)

Top Bottom