• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

I'm doing my "Sasha and Bayley are perfectly good wrestlers but their awesome matches are because of planning and practice, not because their fantastic workers as many claim" thing.

I like Sasha and Bayley. But let's be clear here before we crown their asses - in AJW in the 90's, they'd be second or third match on the card girls at best. Maybe in 4 or 5 years with ring work, they'll be legitimately great, but let's give them the time to actually become legitimately great before we get another Angle situation on our hands when it comes to in-ring work.

Randy Savage was notorious for planning out his matches in meticulous detail, Ricky Steamboat talked about how Savage went over every spot for their Wrestlemania match dozens of times beforehand. Whereas Steamboat was more used to being in matches called on the fly. Savage is widely regarded as one of the best workers ever.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Saying Sasha is overrated and Becky is better is a bit funny when you remember that Sasha's best match happened with a different NXT main-event woman who wasn't named Becky Lynch.

djgtu52.gif
I don't agree with that. I said it before and I'll say it again. Sasha vs Becky was ridiculously underrated and I found that match better than both Bayley matches. It was my favourite WWE match of 2015. That match made Becky Lynch. So sad we never got a rematch.

Zach

WCW didn't go under because of ratings. Mike Sanders in the main event drew better ratings than Roman Reigns does. Went under because of corporate restructuring and a dumb as fuck merger.

Did you see my post about going to a 2000 Thunder where I saw The Great Muta wrestle AND Mike Sanders beat Disco Inferno?!

Huh?!

Randy Savage was notorious for planning out his matches in meticulous detail, Ricky Steamboat talked about how Savage went over every spot for their Wrestlemania match dozens of times beforehand. Whereas Steamboat was more used to being in matches called on the fly. Savage is widely regarded as one of the best workers ever.

His and DDP's and most modern-day matches feel less exciting, more dance-y because of it, though. Kinda sucks most of the time.

Most of the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand how anyone could possibly care in any way, shape or form whether some specific match was either plotted out on the fly or backstage.

klonere

Banned
I don't agree with that. I said it before and I'll say it again. Sasha vs Becky was ridiculously underrated and I found that match better than both Bayley matches. It was my favourite WWE match of 2015. That match made Becky Lynch. So sad we never got a rematch.

I'm with you friend. Its hard to talk about both of the matches because it always feels you are tearing one down to build one up but they are both extremely important matches and key reasons why WWE are calling their women women now. But given the same staging and build that Bayley/Sasha got, I think people would be much more comfortable in putting the Becky/Sasha match on the same level, if not above the former.

Again, I will restate, both of the matches are fantastic, memorable and important, I just like one more than the other!

Zach

A great match is a great match. But if the crowd's not with you, or it's just not working that night, you should know how to adjust on the fly. That's the artistry in wrasslin' if you ask me, as opposed to straight-up choreography.

A great match is a great match. But if the crowd's not with you, or it's just not working that night, you should know how to adjust on the fly. That's the artistry in wrasslin' if you ask me, as opposed to straight-up choreography.

Absolutely and I have no doubt that Sasha and Bayley are capable of this, both had been around the business a while before being signed by WWE.

Holy fuck Mandrews/Hero was incredible. Might be my MOTY so far
not that there's a big pool for me to choose from

BDW/Mastiff was a pleasant surprise as well, great match

Mizerman

I agree.

klonere

Banned

Do what your told to do Zach. Don't break the script. They have all those writers
Vince
working so hard.

Zach

Absolutely and I have no doubt that Sasha and Bayley are capable of this, both had been around the business a while before being signed by WWE.

I'm not saying they're incapable. I've just been skimming here. Sorry if I came off that way. Bayley and Sasha are the best, even if they are a product of the wrassle-times.

Kaladin

I still can't believe I'm going to the semi finals and finals of the Cruiserweight Classic tournament.

That is bound to be 3 amazing matches right there.

This is why I hate the "poor booking" narrative when debating a wrestler and whether you enjoy them or not. A good wrestler knows how to work in any situation and elevate themselves above the booking. If someone doesn't like a wrestler and can provide a solid reason why, replying with "it's the booking" it's just dismissing their criticism.

Kaladin

Between the start of the CWC, the brand split, a new MITB holder and Lesnar fighting in the UFC.....I think July stole the Power of June.

I love bicycle kicks but they spammed the shit out of it in the Ma,tt Cross/Sami Callihan match. The commentators compared it to a Young Bucks match, and it's true. Except in a bad way. Sami still comes off as a cornball but he's a decent wrestler and he hits a really good suicide dive. He's like an inverse Mikey Whiplash in that regard, who does good character work but is an average-ish wrestler

This is why I hate the "poor booking" narrative when debating a wrestler and whether you enjoy them or not. A good wrestler knows how to work in any situation and elevate themselves above the booking. If someone doesn't like a wrestler and can provide a solid reason why, replying with "it's the booking" it's just dismissing their criticism.

BIDKG23.gif

Hex

Banned
I will x post from the Takeover thread.
I think "The End" will refer to the end of NXT being WWE's minor leagues and after this they will be a third touring unit

Kaladin

This week's Raw wasn't terrible. The wrestling was good, Teddy Long was a nice surprise and the Cena / AJ segment was a good build on what they started last week. I loled at Cena saying Bullet Club, and the rest of the back and forth was great. I am looking forward to that match. They pushed the tagline that Money In The Bank is full of potential Wrestlemania main events and this is one time they are right. Reigns vs Rollins will be great, AJ vs Cena is going to be great and the MITB match is even going to be great. Hell, that Fatal Four Way tag title match looks good.

Bring on this PPV.

Oh...and New Day still suck. They get a funny line in sometimes, but they're tired and suck.

UberTag

Oh...and New Day still suck. They get a funny line in sometimes, but they're tired and suck.
I feel weird in that I like individual aspects of all three guys in The New Day but don't care one iota for their face dynamic as a team.
I largely blame that on the way WWE writes just about every good guy on their roster as insufferable.

Kaladin

I feel weird in that I like individual aspects of all three guys in The New Day but don't care one iota for their face dynamic as a team.
I largely blame that on the way WWE writes just about every good guy on their roster as insufferable.

They all have aspects about them that I like. The New Day team is tired and old though and they're even at the point where they rely heavily on catch phrases and chants to keep the crowd into it. I roll my eyes every time they roll their hips saying they're the tag team champs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna skip Takeover. Card doesn't look that great to me, and I'd rather go out, I reckon.

MC Safety

They all have aspects about them that I like. The New Day team is tired and old though and they're even at the point where they rely heavily on catch phrases and chants to keep the crowd into it. I roll my eyes every time they roll their hips saying they're the tag team champs.

Yeah, the bumping and grinding is definitely the weakest part of the bit.

They have good comedic instincts, but they've got to learn less is more -- especially in terms of the time they eat each show.

Top Bottom