• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Penguin

This one is scary but so funny

tumblr_ml4bsdE3v21qgpob2o1_500.png

tumblr_ml4bsdE3v21qgpob2o2_500.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This James Gandolfini news has me bummed.....sudden heart attack is a bad way to go.

I'm sad too. Terrible news. Loved his work outside of Sopranos too, but it was the bulk of his career. Sounds like a rewatch is in order. I know our man Bootaaay is bummed too.

somedevil

Some wrestling news:

Money in the Bank on 7/14 in Philadelphia is already sold out.

My guess is Rvd plus belief Daniel Bryan winning money in the bank and hope Punk vs Lesnar there led to the sellout.

There was a wrestler at the most recent camp in early June who was a Pan American games gold medalist in wrestling (Jim Ross made a reference to him in one of his blogs) who it was said looks remarkably like Bryan, just a little bigger. He also listed Bryan as his favorite wrestler and the guy he studies the most and apparently he was, as far as athletic ability went, the standout.

Bryan has his clone getting ready in the wings

Colt Cabana has had two tryouts, set up by C.M. Punk, for a job as a color commentator. There’s nothing new on that front in the sense no job has been offered at this point.

Offer him the NXT job and put him with Regal.

Raw Rating Breakdown:

In the segment-by-segment, the show opened at 3.04 for the Alberto Del Rio promo with Paul Heyman & C.M. Punk coming out. Christian vs. Wade Barrett lost 194,000 viewers. You’d hope Christian’s return would have at least held even. Sheamus vs. Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow lost 164,000 viewers. Backstage stuff with HHH, Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox plus Team Hell No backstage gained 226,000 viewers. Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan gained 248,000 viewers to a 3.13 at 9 p.m. The A.J. Lee/Stephanie McMahon in-ring and Kaitlyn attack of Lee gained 168,000 viewers, which I’d consider good for the time slot. Dean Ambrose vs. Kane for the U.S. title and the backstage aftermath with Vickie, Vince McMahon and The Shield lost 341,000 viewers. That wouldn’t be so good. Antonio Cesaro vs. William Regal gained 41,000 viewers, which is also a good showing. The star period of the show was the John Cena and Mark Henry in-ring angle, which was one of the strongest periods on the show in a long time, gaining 738,000 viewers to a 3.57 quarter at 10 p.m. However, Mark Henry’s backstage heel interview and Chris Jericho vs. Heath Slater lost 953,000 viewers. People seem to always tune out at 10:15 p.m., but not at that level. Curtis Axel vs. Sin Cara plus the backstage stuff with the McMahons, Guerrero and Maddox gained 112,000 viewers. C.M. Punk vs. Alberto Del Rio with the post-match with Brock Lesnar and Dolph Ziggler gained 636,000 viewers to a 3.42 overrun.

Mark Henry was ratings gold plus Bryan continues he ratings gain streak as well as a Diva segment gaining viewers and Punk and Brock got the people interested.

Batigol

Banned
Some wrestling news:

My guess is Rvd plus belief Daniel Bryan winning money in the bank and hope Punk vs Lesnar there led to the sellout.

Bryan has his clone getting ready in the wings

Offer him the NXT job and put him with Regal.

Raw Rating Breakdown:

Mark Henry was ratings gold plus Bryan continues he ratings gain streak as well as a Diva segment gaining viewers and Punk and Brock got the people interested.

Punk is shameless in constantly shilling Colt. WWE don't want him. In any capacity. He needs to get over it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He already used up his 'keep talentless/annoying friend employed' cards on Kofi.

When you're right, you're right.

I like Colt but he's a square peg in a round hole at WWE. He should stop.

I love CZW and Big Japan gifs

I hated filming that stuff...CONSTANT DANGER, HIIIDE :mad:

I'm upset because this set the future back about 10 years. It's inexorable. It's coming. I just have to fuckin wait for it.

Seriously:

It sucks to me, because if the Bone could have proven their 10 Family plan was financially viable for publishers to stay afloat while ensuring people could play the games, then we could have a future that embraced sharing and did it in a fair way. Now, unfortunately, and as expected, it's axed - which means the next attempt someone has at sharing on a large system like that will be much MORE restrictive (10 is pretty nice) and now we can't take that step, and it bums me out. I'm not "some fatass who doesnt want to change a disc" because that's not the issue - the issue to me is the perceived value of sharing and how it's just taken a backseat for another long time.

Thank god Steam is implementing a gameshare.

You son of a bi-*is tackled*

I get what you're saying, but Microsoft hadn't explained it in full detail, and I highly doubt they were playing with a full deck/our rights in mind.

strobogo

Banned
When you're right, you're right.

I like Colt but he's a square peg in a round hole at WWE. He should stop.

But Cabana is perfect for WWE. Especially in the PG era. It makes no sense that they had him for what, like 2 years, and gave him all of 3 matches on TV before deciding he just wasn't over. What?

Kaladin

But Cabana is perfect for WWE. Especially in the PG era. It makes no sense that they had him for what, like 2 years, and gave him all of 3 matches on TV before deciding he just wasn't over. What?

There are reasons Cabana doesn't work in WWE. I will tell you them. The biggest reason is that he lives off crowd interaction in that ring. This is impossible for a WWE Superstar. TNA even lets their wrestlers interact with the crowd more than WWE does. In WWE, everything is for the camera, the live crowd might as well not even be there.

Colt Cabana also loves to interact with his fans outside of the ring, much more than WWE allows it's wrestlers to do in social media.

His essence as a performer would be crushed if he was forced to work around the structure of WWE. I asked him about why he was released once and he said they just had nothing for him. There are people that are high on him in the company (and not just Punk) but they don't know how to use his talent set.

Ithil

There are reasons Cabana doesn't work in WWE. I will tell you them. The biggest reason is that he lives off crowd interaction in that ring. This is impossible for a WWE Superstar. TNA even lets their wrestlers interact with the crowd more than WWE does. In WWE, everything is for the camera, the live crowd might as well not even be there.

Colt Cabana also loves to interact with his fans outside of the ring, much more than WWE allows it's wrestlers to do in social media.

His essence as a performer would be crushed if he was forced to work around the structure of WWE. I asked him about why he was released once and he said they just had nothing for him. There are people that are high on him in the company (and not just Punk) but they don't know how to use his talent set.

Well the tryouts for him are as a colour commentator, not a wrestler. I imagine even if his wrestling lived and died by his crowd interaction, he's suitably well spoken and funny to be a decent commentator who can also bump and offer his own personality.

Kaladin

Well the tryouts for him are as a colour commentator, not a wrestler. I imagine even if his wrestling lived and died by his crowd interaction, he's suitably well spoken and funny to be a decent commentator who can also bump and offer his own personality.

He would be great as a color commentator, but I doubt he could sit there week after week with Vince screaming in his ears. Put him on NXT to get the incoming indie talent over, that would work perfectly. Especially since Dusty is one of the people who were high on him during his run in WWE.

strobogo

Banned
You just let Colt be Colt. Let him be the dude who interacts with the crowd. D-Bryne interacts with the crowd more than anyone on TV and he's also the most over guy in wrestling right now.

Ithil

He would be great as a color commentator, but I doubt he could sit there week after week with Vince screaming in his ears. Put him on NXT to get the incoming indie talent over, that would work perfectly. Especially since Dusty is one of the people who were high on him during his run in WWE.

Well I can't imagine he'd be on RAW. He'd be on NXT, Main Event, SMS, etc.

Orton is still more legit over then Bryan. You can see it last Raw.

Eh. It depends on the crowd, all that's consistent is they're both super over. And Bryan is usually more over than whoever he's facing by the end of his match.
You'd find a "middle of nowhere" town probably likes Orton more, but most crowds, which have been in bigger cities, recently have gone more wild for Bryan.

Kaladin

You just let Colt be Colt. Let him be the dude who interacts with the crowd. D-Bryne interacts with the crowd more than anyone on TV and he's also the most over guy in wrestling right now.

It's also kinda difficult for wrestlers to interact with the crowd the way Colt does when the crowd is 15k - 20k strong. The problem is even worse at bigger venues like Mania. With crowds that large, wrestlers have problems even hearing crowd reactions because different parts of the arena are different.

Kaladin

BOOO NIN Fanclub pre-sale for Atlanta only has the floor tickets available. I want a lower level ticket dammit. NIN is a band you want to be further away from to take in the whole staging a long with the show.....kinda like Iron Maiden.

Ithil

Shawn Michaels relayed a recent conversation with WWE head Vince McMahon about talent evaluation. Michaels set it up as feeling what current new stars feel because he struggled to gain acceptance as an undersized wrestler who was given the WWF Title when others in the company felt like he wasn't worthy.

"I had a conversation a couple of weeks ago with the man in charge," Michaels said, "and we were talking about a certain individual and he goes, 'I just don't see money in him.' And I said, 'You said the same thing about me.' He said, 'I did not.' I said, 'Yes you did!' (laughs) I said, 'And it's okay. It's just one of those things.'"

Michaels continued: "I wasn't your prototypical - heck, I wasn't anybody's protoypical main event guy. And I knew that. So, you just do your absolute best. Yes, I was very scared and very worried, which had a lot to do with how bad I handled stuff because I spent a great deal of my career waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because it was a very real view of me and my ability and my talent. I'm a firm believer that talent does rise to the top, but you have to be patient. So, I spent a great deal of time worried, intimidated, and concerned that with each passing storyline, it might be the last one."

Hmm.

Striker

Vince and Co. had no choice but to go to those guys, really. When they had that steroid allegation thing going on, not to mention losing other big stars like Ric Flair (WCW) and Savage (injuries), he went to Bret Hart. Of course he still used went the big guy way with Yokozuna and Diesel, but Bret was definitely out of the norm for WWF champions. He was money for them since he became a huge international star.

Kind of surprised they didn't hand it to Luger at some point because he had that look going.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Vince and Co. had no choice but to go to those guys, really. When they had that steroid allegation thing going on, not to mention losing other big stars like Ric Flair (WCW) and Savage (injuries), he went to Bret Hart. Of course he still used went the big guy way with Yokozuna and Diesel, but Bret was definitely out of the norm for WWF champions. He was money for them since he became a huge international star.

Kind of surprised they didn't hand it to Luger at some point because he had that look going.

It is and it isn't... Luger wasn't a McMahon created name/brand, so he wasn't going to want him to have that kind of huge success

somedevil

People will be believe he is talking about Bryan because he was one of Shawn's students. If that's the case Vince changed his mind because he getting a big push right now. My bet is Cesaro because Vince is down on him.

Time to watch some NXT featuring a bunch of guys Vince sees no money in, and Bo Dallas.

Also, the debut of Xavier Wood's guy stuck in the 90's gimmick including many power ranger references.

Ithil

I think the obvious conclusion, of who Michaels and Vince are talking about, to leap to is Bryan, but really, Bryan IS making Vince money and has been since early last year, and he's currently getting a push at long last. I mean, it's ultimately Vince's call, if he didn't see money in Bryan, he wouldn't be getting this push.

Top Bottom